HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

souray/waivers/trade ?? UPDATE: Cleared Re-entry 02/21/11

View Poll Results: Will souray still be oiler property Monday night
Yes 99 55.00%
No---traded 11 6.11%
No--Claimed on waivers 70 38.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Fishy Scales

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
One summer he picks up Khabibulin and trades for Heatley. The next he signs gems like Foster and Fraser. I can hardly wait to see what he brings us this year. If you think he has only made two booboos, then that is your prerogative.
I seem to remember you being very eager to get Heatley. He tried to get the player and probably had some pretty strong pressure from Daryl Katz to pursue it as well. And we don't really know what kinds of deals that were pursued on the side either.

You're really locked in this mode where anything Tambellini does sucks one way or the other.

Now you're guaranteeing that he's gonna screw up by waiting too long with Penner and Hemsky.

I can't help but think it's because you know that waiting might be the best course of action (making GM's desperate), but that if the trade doesn't pan out two years from now, you can sit there and say "I told you so".

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i wonder who picks him up. maybe brian burke will

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:42 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Well I guess if they had a crystal ball or pre signing hindsight, they would have made a differant decision at the time of the signing. Was there any indication that this guy would sign a multi year, multi million dollar contract and a year later ask to be traded, to a team of his choosing I may add. He took the Oilers for chumps and only had one worry, the guy staring back at him in the mirror.
They didn't need a crystal ball, only decent management skills. First, Souray was clearly not a good signing to begin with, trade demand aside. Second, they have not handled this situation well at all, paying his full salary when they could have tried re-entry earlier.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:42 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
If you want credibility look at the standings.

Where have we finished in each of the last two years?

Where are we going to end up this year?

Who hired Pat Quinn?

Who fired all the support staff?

I give him credit for making our farm team credible. Because really, that is all that he has done.
C'mon man. Give some credit where it's due. The Oilers are committed to the season of suck because they've correctly realized that missing the playoffs by a little is a way worse result than missing it by a lot. Fraser and Foster were screw up moves, but normal managers looking to win would have fixed these moves by now. The yardstick's different this year IMO. Next year, all bets should be off though...

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:46 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
C'mon man. Give some credit where it's due. The Oilers are committed to the season of suck because they've correctly realized that missing the playoffs by a little is a way worse result than missing it by a lot. Fraser and Foster were screw up moves, but normal managers looking to win would have fixed these moves by now. The yardstick's different this year IMO. Next year, all bets should be off though...
They only committed to the vision of losing after they already started losing.

Old
02-19-2011, 02:48 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Unlike a lot of people though, I don't think changing the GM will be the be all, end all.
It depends on who would be the new GM. Clearly changing GMs didn't help last time, but continuing with Lowe would have been just as bad.

Old
02-19-2011, 02:50 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
True. Should they still be committed to the vision of being mediocre?

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
It depends on who would be the new GM. Clearly changing GMs didn't help last time, but continuing with Lowe would have been just as bad.
Stu McGregor is 10x more important to what this team will be than any GM you hire.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:53 PM
The Rage

Quote:
True. Should they still be committed to the vision of being mediocre?
No. But if I have to endure this crap, I want to have more faith in the person who will supposedly lead us to the other side.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Rangers' scouting report wasn't damning enough? He's not an NHL player anymore. Get over it Cox; Gregor.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
This is the first season anyone can say they have a plan for tanking or losing by design. They are here because they are left with no choice. That isnt good management, so no credit will be given by me, except for the farm team, as it appears he has done a good job at rebuilding that. I have little faith he can drive this train without running it off the track.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Stu McGregor is 10x more important to what this team will be than any GM you hire.
Not hardly. He only represents one facet of acquiring talent. Any idiot can pick first overall.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Not hardly. He only represents one facet of acquiring talent. Any idiot can pick first overall.
The draft is really the only facet of acquiring talent we have.

NTCs severely limit what we can do on the trade market and UFAs ... haha. Good luck with that.

You guys who think a new GM is going to come in here and dramatically change everything like Michelle Pfefier making a difference in the lives of inner city school kids will probably be in for a rude awakening when/if that does happen.

Old
02-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
I'm surprised Gregor said that, doesn't really seem like him. I kind of agree though, this isn't the way you handle a disgruntled player, Ottawa brought heatley back last year until they finalized a trade, and said they would play him if they had to, Oil should have done the same.
Did Heatley bash management like Souray did. I don't think so. End of story.

02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
TaylorHallFan*

Last edited by TaylorHallFan*: 03-26-2011 at 11:53 PM.
TaylorHallFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
No. But if I have to endure this crap, I want to have more faith in the person who will supposedly lead us to the other side.
This organization is finally out of spin cycle. Souray is the last of the Great Hope Whale Hunting Expeditions, one that landed a bloated, beached whale. He represented what this franchise did not want in its team or organizational culture on a go forward basis. So it became do not pass go, go directly to Hershey. And this after many mercy killing efforts to find the Sullen One a new home. FREE yardsales have not been able to give the guy away.

By the way, you don't have to endure any crap. Ultimately, it's your choice.
If so bothered:
a) pick a new team
b) take up a new cause or hobby. I'll suggest whining about provincial healthcare which really matters
c) stop posting and get a kitten. You can have faith in it.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:05 PM
rprice92

Damian Cox adding to his buffoonery

Quote:
DamoSpin Damien Cox
Besides, Souray's not a bad guy. Not at all. Oilers just wanted to paint him that way.

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
LOL, I actually don't think Souray is *that* bad of a guy either, but this is kinda rich when you consider Souray's wife posted on Facebook that she was worried he would someday murder her and cut her up and put her in a suitcase (and no, I'm not joking).

The Oilers didn't really paint Sheldon in any way ... they had several chances to publicly trash him, but Tambellini really has said nothing about Souray on a personal level.

Old
02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
When should have have committed to losing? When they were winning?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
This guy really seems to have a vendetta against the Oilers lately.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
More empty spare the rod rhetoric.

Rah rah, 20 lashes.

Have any of you ever been in management?
An empty rebuttal, I'd say.

I have in fact been a manager at a couple different points of my life and both times the respect of the people under you counted for a lot. There were times that an example needed to be made in order to make a point.

I can not fathom the type of management you've been involved with that you haven't seen this to be true?

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:15 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
b) take up a new cause or hobby. I'll suggest whining about provincial healthcare which really matters

I have already, consciously or subconsciously started to follow other sports, like MMA, much more closely. The Oilers are my team, though, and it's because of that my frustration is what it is. And don't get me started on provincial health care.

Old
02-19-2011, 03:23 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
When should have have committed to losing? When they were winning?
The point is that the same people who ****ed it all up in the first place have been given the responsibility to fix it. That is not sound strategy.

Old
02-19-2011, 03:31 PM
dobiezeke*

Replacement...Yes to answer the first question and no I don't see how its holier than thou.

The reactive rhetorical nonsense that gets voiced in these exchanges sounds like it comes from people that have not managed. Or that have mismanaged.

Because the motivational tecnhiques voiced are not recommended management techniques. Particularly in the case of managing sought after, highly paid whining prima donnas

Fixed for ya, champ.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:52 PM
CupofOil

I don't see this as a big deal..... Most of us were hoping that he would claimed on re-entry after it looked like we were going to get nothing in return for him so i don't see what the big deal is, it'll give us some closure if anything. I just hope that a team out east claims him so we don't have to hear *****ing and whining if he makes a few nice plays against us with a west team.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote