HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

souray/waivers/trade ?? UPDATE: Cleared Re-entry 02/21/11

View Poll Results: Will souray still be oiler property Monday night
Yes 99 55.00%
No---traded 11 6.11%
No--Claimed on waivers 70 38.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
mcote97

vCash: 500
Icing on the cake? he gets claimed and wins the cup

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think Montreal may bite. Their blue line has been decimated and they need a shot from the point on the PP.
i doubt it. montreal knows first hand that souray is a prima donna (a vain, undisciplined, egotistical, obnoxious or temperamental person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team).

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
We don't know that this isn't the case. Souray would have to clear re-entry before he can be traded, and if he goes unclaimed, Tambellini will surely try to deal him before putting him back in Hershey. But any "asset" we get back for him will likely include lots of salary and be damaged goods as well.
You think that a team would pass on him at half price but then trade for him to move salary??? The only way that makes sense is if the Oilers take back more salary than Souray makes. How does this benefit the Oilers? If that was the case why not just pay Souray?

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Mr Sakich

what if the Oilers let him play a few games in the nhl to see if he has totally lost it? If he does ok (and you can bet a lot of scouts at the oiler games in the next week), maybe a deal like Souray for Commodore works.

What if he comes back, hat in hand, says the right things, and plays ok. Could Tambo be a big enough man to let him stay?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
There is harm in recalling him. They could have traded him the next summer without being stuck with half his salary/cap hit. Also, what are the odds that some team will be unwilling to take on half his salary, but will be willing to trade for his full salary? If they were going to try a recall, why not do so earlier in the year when you could have saved paying his full salary and cut half your losses at that point? This move makes no sense. Either they are stupid for not waiting until the summer, or stupid for not making this move earlier. There is no other way to look at it.
So, in other words, you're saying that they can't possibly have a plan in mind in making this move? Tambellini is sitting in his office with nothing to do and decides to flip through the rolodex to see if there is something there. The cards stop at the name Souray. "Oh" says Tambellini "maybe I'll recall Sheldon while I'm waiting for the offers to roll in on Strudwick and JFJ." Let's just wait and see what transpires before calling it stupid.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
serum114

Quote:
There is harm in recalling him. They could have traded him the next summer without being stuck with half his salary/cap hit. Also, what are the odds that some team will be unwilling to take on half his salary, but will be willing to trade for his full salary? If they were going to try a recall, why not do so earlier in the year when you could have saved paying his full salary and cut half your losses at that point? This move makes no sense. Either they are stupid for not waiting until the summer, or stupid for not making this move earlier. There is no other way to look at it.
And what about his performance this season lends any credence to the fact he is going to be any more marketable this offseason than he is now.

If we end up stuck with half his salary next season against the cap, what is the harm? It's not like we're going to be a cap team next year.

As for not dealing him earlier, there were no takers in the last offseason either. I'm not sure there's any "stupidity" as you call it in the last 12 months. The foolishness dates back to the contract we signed him to, but dwelling on that is pointless currently as there's no way to change it.

Based on the current situation, there are three possible outcomes: he's claimed on re-entry, he clears and is dealt, neither happens and he gets sent back to Hershey. If we hadn't put him on re-entry then only one outcome is possible and it is, IMO, the least desirable of the three.

I fail to see why this is such an anger inducing transaction.

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Toronto might take him too, lol. Honestly though I think they're better off keeping the cap room for the summer.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcote97 View Post
Let's get to the brass tax here! He has til 12:00est Sunday to be claimed right? I have $500 in jerseys riding on him not playing in the bigs this year.
Brass Tacks.....

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
what if the Oilers let him play a few games in the nhl to see if he has totally lost it? If he does ok (and you can bet a lot of scouts at the oiler games in the next week), maybe a deal like Souray for Commodore works.

What if he comes back, hat in hand, says the right things, and plays ok. Could Tambo be a big enough man to let him stay?
Those are good questions to ask. I've often wondered the same thing.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bailey View Post
And what about his performance this season lends any credence to the fact he is going to be any more marketable this offseason than he is now.

If we end up stuck with half his salary next season against the cap, what is the harm? It's not like we're going to be a cap team next year.

As for not dealing him earlier, there were no takers in the last offseason either. I'm not sure there's any "stupidity" as you call it in the last 12 months. The foolishness dates back to the contract we signed him to, but dwelling on that is pointless currently as there's no way to change it.

Based on the current situation, there are three possible outcomes: he's claimed on re-entry, he clears and is dealt, neither happens and he gets sent back to Hershey. If we hadn't put him on re-entry then only one outcome is possible and it is, IMO, the least desirable of the three.

Thank you for the calm well worded and thought out post. Pleasant change.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bailey View Post

It's anger producing because it looks like a no-win deal for the Oilers and many are expecting some sort of trade/improvement this year. He was out of sight in Hershy and the only cost was to Katz. Now there will be a cap hit and he could end up somewhere in the west playing against the Oil and we get nothing but a cap hit in return.
I could care less either way but this really is only a money saving venture for Katz, not a hockey deal. The Oilers will receive no assets and add a cap hit besides. Where's the upside? Leave him in the minors where he's still out of sight and mind....

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think Montreal may bite. Their blue line has been decimated and they need a shot from the point on the PP.
Wasn't there a rumor MTL was looking at perhaps getting Souray again?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcote97 View Post
Icing on the cake? he gets claimed and wins the cup
I guess if players on IR can get cup rings, then kudos to him

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
So, in other words, you're saying that they can't possibly have a plan in mind in making this move? Tambellini is sitting in his office with nothing to do and decides to flip through the rolodex to see if there is something there. The cards stop at the name Souray. "Oh" says Tambellini "maybe I'll recall Sheldon while I'm waiting for the offers to roll in on Strudwick and JFJ." Let's just wait and see what transpires before calling it stupid.
Yeah, I should just turn my brain off and trust in Steve, the man who has a great track record in creating winning teams.

Last edited by The Rage: 02-19-2011 at 12:37 PM.
The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:19 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher

**** just got real...

Wow I honestly thought we were just going to let him rot down in the minors.

Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Yeah, I should just turn my brain off and trust in Steve, he man who has a great track record in creating winning teams.
Fair comment, but assuming that you know what the market is for Souray isn't much better.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rookie boy

The only way this makes sense to me is:

a) There is a larger deal at hand where we are taking back some bad salary, and Tambo hopes Souray clears waivers so we could make him part of the bigger deal; or more likely

b) Souray is playing so bad that the original plan or trading him for something this summer looks so remote this may be the only time to get him off the books during the crazy "We'll do anything" timeframe of trade deadline.

Souray must have so little tiny value that this is the hail mary to minimize his impact (salary) on the team. Wow, I never thought he would ever be on re-entry this year, that we could get something in the offseason. How the mighty have fallen.
edit: While typing Lawrence did his post-better worded and I am in total agreement

rookie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:20 PM
McEwen

Quote:
Yeah, I should just turn my brain off and trust in Steve, he man who has a great track record in creating winning teams.
Seeing as this is his first GM job, give the guy a break. Were you expecting us to make the playoffs this year or even last year? Or a winning team in the playoffs? If you did, you should really re-evaluate this team and your own expectations.

McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Big Mess

Just a couple of Questions...

1) Wouldn't we have too many bodies on the roster right now with Souray being recalled?

2) If that is the case, who do we send down? Or is he exempted from the roster spot because he might get claimed?

Big Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 9950
what happens if souray gets claimed by a team in the west, bombs one from the point, and breaks one of the oilers ankles?

not very good eh?

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:23 PM
bardfromedson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
****ing idiots in management.

Splitting his cap isn't an issue since we're not a cap team.

But not getting a single asset for him bothers me.

It's Katz money he can do as he pleases I suppose...
he has negative value. why would we get anything back unless its also negative value. i would rather he rot in the minors so im hoping he gets unclaimed and goes back to hershey with his ego dropped another notch.

bardfromedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
i doubt it. montreal knows first hand that souray is a prima donna (a vain, undisciplined, egotistical, obnoxious or temperamental person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team).
WOW and you know this because?????

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
1) Wouldn't we have too many bodies on the roster right now with Souray being recalled?

2) If that is the case, who do we send down? Or is he exempted from the roster spot because he might get claimed?
He's just been placed on re-entry waivers. He doesn't have to be recalled.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:

Not if Foster were put on the IR, how is he doing after that elbow? I don't recall him coming back.

The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:

I was wondering the same. But Rishaug clears it up.

TSNRyanRishaug Ryan Rishaug
If souray clears, oilers can just leave him in Hershey, don't need to recall him to the big club.

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote