HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

souray/waivers/trade ?? UPDATE: Cleared Re-entry 02/21/11

View Poll Results: Will souray still be oiler property Monday night
Yes 99 55.00%
No---traded 11 6.11%
No--Claimed on waivers 70 38.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
paying souray 2+ million to play for the opposition and take a cap hit doesn't make much sense.
and paying him 5 million a year to play for someone else's farm team does?

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It does if you're a fan and not an owner...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by McEwen View Post
Seeing as this is his first GM job, give the guy a break. Were you expecting us to make the playoffs this year or even last year? Or a winning team in the playoffs? If you did, you should really re-evaluate this team and your own expectations.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Big Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
He's just been placed on re-entry waivers. He doesn't have to be recalled.
Correct me if I'm wrong. But The Oilers had to recall Souray for him to be on re-entry, Right?

Big Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 168
Quote:
Seeing as this is his first GM job, give the guy a break. Were you expecting us to make the playoffs this year or even last year? Or a winning team in the playoffs? If you did, you should really re-evaluate this team and your own expectations.
Why Van didn't want him, the guy's was done nothing to suggest ( see Scabbypoohands) he knows what he is doing.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
yes.

edit: the barons have played the hershey bears exactly zero times this year.

Last edited by Gret99zky: 02-19-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Big Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessikaLovejoy View Post
I was wondering the same. But Rishaug clears it up.

TSNRyanRishaug Ryan Rishaug
If souray clears, oilers can just leave him in Hershey, don't need to recall him to the big club.
Thanks for the quick reply...

Old
02-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
It doesn't either way, there's just more whining involved when there's a caphit mentioned.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. But The Oilers had to recall Souray for him to be on re-entry, Right?
Nope..They just need to put him on re-entry for whatever purposes they choose. Recalling would be one option.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Big Mess

Quote:
Nope..They just need to put him on re-entry for whatever purposes they choose. Recalling would be one option.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
And what if you're an owner? The Oilers do have one of those.

Wouldn't it make sense to try to do whatever you can to move him? This is the next logical step in attempting to get that done.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It doesn't either way, there's just more whining involved when there's a caphit mentioned.
True..I for one was hoping he'd rot in the minors and I wouldn't have to hear about him anymore. Having him claimed and back in the NHL while the Oilers take a cap hit wasn't on the top of my priority list...Oh well..luckily fans opinions are really important when it comes to these things..

Old
Gusher

Geez people! You would think the Oilers just put Hemsky on Waivers with all these crazy comments being thrown around.

As a few have mentioned...Souray has to clear re-entry waivers if he's going to be dealt. Obviously Tambellini is trying to get something for him or he wouldn't have done this at all.

Another thing...teams didn't take Souray on waivers or express an interest on having him on re-entry earlier in the year because he cost much more at that point. Pro-rate his contract for the rest of this season and a team who might claim him will be getting him for peanuts the rest of the year. Next year is still fairly pricey but that's why buyouts exist if it doesn't work out for the team.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
True..I for one was hoping he'd rot in the minors and I wouldn't have to hear about him anymore. Having him claimed and back in the NHL while the Oilers take a cap hit wasn't on the top of my priority list...Oh well..luckily fans opinions are really important when it comes to these things..
I just hope he's gone, and all of this can be done with.

Look I'd rather they have to deal with half the cap hit, then the buyout, which is what would probably happen in the summer, imo.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bailey View Post
I fail to see why this is such an anger inducing transaction.
You don't understand why the Souray situation in general is anger inducing to the fan base?..

This is of course a reminder of the org devaluing what was an asset a year ago to what its become.

A lot of frustration would of course having something to do with the reaction.

I guess I can blindly give Tambo credit for how much he ****ed up this entire situation.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:36 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bailey View Post
And what about his performance this season lends any credence to the fact he is going to be any more marketable this offseason than he is now.
If they can't trade him in the off-season, put him on re-entry at that time. At least you keep open the possibility of trading away his full salary.

Quote:
If we end up stuck with half his salary next season against the cap, what is the harm? It's not like we're going to be a cap team next year.
So if that's not a concern, why not put him on re-entry at the beginning of the season? Like I keep saying, there were advantages/disadvantages to trying re-entry at the beginning of the year, and advantages/disadvantages to waiting until the summer. The choice was full salary in the short term and no salary in the future versus half salary over two years. Right now is the worst of both worlds--you ended up paying his full salary until now, and half of his salary going forward.
Quote:
As for not dealing him earlier, there were no takers in the last offseason either. I'm not sure there's any "stupidity" as you call it in the last 12 months. The foolishness dates back to the contract we signed him to, but dwelling on that is pointless currently as there's no way to change it.
They didn't try re-entry in the beginning of the season. Why not? If he went unclaimed, they could have sent him back down. The only advantage with not putting him on re-entry at the beginning of the season was that by waiting until the summer you could trade away his full salary. They have elected to forgo that option now as well. This is completely a moronic set of moves.

Quote:
Based on the current situation, there are three possible outcomes: he's claimed on re-entry, he clears and is dealt, neither happens and he gets sent back to Hershey. If we hadn't put him on re-entry then only one outcome is possible and it is, IMO, the least desirable of the three.

I fail to see why this is such an anger inducing transaction.
Because he should have been put on re-entry in the beginning of the season if you don't mind paying half his salary. Instead they pay his full salary until now, and could be stuck with paying half his salary going forward. It made no sense to wait if you were not going to wait until he could be traded again.

Last edited by The Rage: 02-19-2011 at 01:44 PM.
The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Soundwave

Meh, I think a message needed to be sent that you don't dick around the Oilers front office and get away with anymore with trade demands.

We deal you on our own schedule and will let you rot in the AHL for several months if need be, this isn't the Chris Pronger luxury trade service anymore (we'll have you in and out in a week straight to a contender! make your trade demand while on a beach in Hawaii!).

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:40 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Fair comment, but assuming that you know what the market is for Souray isn't much better.
I have no idea what the market for Souray is. What I do know was they could have tried this earlier, but elected to pay his full salary until now. That is asinine. Is he more likely to be claimed now? Probably, but they could have tried then and tried again later.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:43 PM
The Rage

Quote:
This is his first GM job because his old team passed over him not once but twice when picking a new GM. Regardless, the move is stupid all around. I am not going to give Tambellini the benefit of the doubt to make bad moves until he can atleast prove he has the ability to build a quality team in a cap world.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
I have no idea what the market for Souray is. What I do know was they could have tried this earlier, but elected to pay his full salary until now. That is asinine. Is he more likely to be claimed now? Probably, but they could have tried then and tried again later.
Why is asinine? They would have to buy him out in the summer, which would leave a cap hit, which I'm sure is your only complaint, for the next two seasons, instead of just next year, it gets rid of him, and they've recalled him at the perfect time, if he's claimed he's gone, if not they can move him if teams are the deadline are crazy desperate.

Actually, when you think about it logically, it's a great move.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Meh, I think a message needed to be sent that you don't dick around the Oilers front office and get away with anymore with trade demands.

We deal you on our own schedule and will let you rot in the AHL for several months if need be, this isn't the Chris Pronger luxury trade service anymore (we'll have you in and out in a week straight to a contender! make your trade demand while on a beach in Hawaii!).

Old
02-19-2011, 01:46 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
Did not see this coming

Now what is the end game for this move

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

Well, the Pronger trade resulted in Smid, Eberle, and Riley Nash, which eventually became Martin Marincin.

The Souray non-trade will likely result in the buy-out in the summer.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

The irony being that the org got limited return in trade for either situation. But as long as we "sent a message real good" it must be an important and worthwhile endeavor.

Heres another idea. Stop having an org that bad mouths/denigrates its own players and make it into something that anybody would want to play for.

Yeah I'm sure the whole Souray situation leaves a positive message about the Oilers org. More like avoid coming here at all costs.

Some message.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Why is asinine? They would have to buy him out in the summer, which would leave a cap hit, which I'm sure is your only complaint, for the next two seasons, instead of just next year, it gets rid of him, and they've recalled him at the perfect time, if he's claimed he's gone, if not they can move him if teams are the deadline are crazy desperate.

Actually, when you think about it logically, it's a great move.
Itīs not a great move, itīs a logical move given the circumstances. Still, I donīt think anybody claims him on re-entry waivers, so he most likely will be bought out in the summer. Both sides have mismanaged this situation big time.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote