HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who will fill the gap between Weber and Tinordi?

Old
02-20-2011, 10:05 AM
whismer

vCash: 500
We doesn't have the right to cepek anymore but we have Scott Kishel somewhere in the world...

whismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Here's all the Habs D prospects,

Tinordi- Would assume he's back at London next year, joins Hamilton at the end of next season when London's ends.

Bennett- Would assume he will be back at Michigan for another year, if not two before going to Hamilton.

Emelin- Who knows if he ever comes over, but if not this summer then I don't think we'll ever see him

Korneev- Doubt he ever comes over

Carle- Don't know what the future holds for him, perhaps he'll get a shot at the 7th D spot next year? I'd gladly take him back in Hamilton next year but he may want to try his luck elsewhere with Weber and Subban in front of him on the right side.

Nash- Another year in Hamilton should be good for him, could see more games with the Habs if he continues to progress next year.

St-Denis- Often overlooked but one of Hamilton's best defensemen, especially in his own end. Has progressed well in Hamilton the past two years but lacks size and strength. Expect him to be back in Hamilton next year but depending on who's brought back, what our depth looks like and what injuries occur, he could be a call up next year.

Festerling- Expect to see him back in Hamilton next year, would be surprised if he was able to land the 7th D spot but if not he could be a call up like his current D partner St-Denis.

Klubertanz- Hope to see him back in Hamilton but not sure if he'll want to leave for more money then the 65K or so that he's making since he can easily make more in the Euro leagues. Has really improved as the season has wore on with the increased ice time now that Weber is gone and other injuries/callups.

Ellis- Will be back in the Q for another year and then turns pro

Stejskal- Has to be signed by Aug 15th or we lose his rights. I hope he'll be signed and in Hamilton or the ECHL if no room for him next season. Good frame, moves well, smart and hard working. Looks to be a good PKer, has a heavy shot but I don't think he'll be known for his offense, will take the body for sure.

Pateryn- Would expect him to be back at Michigan next year, don't see why he would turn pro as he's been on the 3rd pairing all year although depending on what happens the Habs may be thin on D in Hamilton. He's got the size and physical tools to play in the AHL now but lacks experience as he hasn't been a regular in the NCAA until this year (still don't know if he was injured or benched for a couple games)

Kishel- He should be back at UMD next year. Both him and Pateryn would be seniors next year so it would be their last. Hopefully Kishel would be a regular, as this has been a lost season for him with barely any playing time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:43 AM
ChoseLa

Before Subban the last guy to make the Habs is Gorges, he was acquired 4 seasons ago.

Right now we have a huge amount of players coming from the system, but players can be acquired by trade or the FA market. Weber, Subban, Markov and Gorges are pretty good core.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Before Subban the last guy to make the Habs is Gorges, he was acquired 4 seasons ago.

Right now we have a huge amount of players coming from the system, but players can be acquired by trade or the FA market. Weber, Subban, Markov and Gorges are pretty good core.
And if Emelin comes over, you can add him... he's a tremendous prospect.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:01 PM
AntonCH

To the OP
Looking too far down the road if you ask me.
Trades; prospects and UFAs can easily bridge gaps.
With 6 spaces to fill on D, by numbers you need far more prospects at forward. Tinordi; Bennet; Weber; Emelin(if he ever comes) and Subban form a nice core of just arrived or up and coming Dmen that should see us thru the next few years

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:09 PM
MarkovsKnee

The kind of depth that teams used to get with prospects is gone now that the draft has been reduced to 7 rounds. Some teams are drafting only 5 or 6 players a year since the last collective bargaining agreement was brought in. Some years, some teams have drafted less than that. An average of six players per year is not enough to stock a team at the NHL level AND at the minor league level. The fact that the NHL and NHLPA went that route kind of sucks. I thought it was fine at 9 rounds.

Basically, it means the Habs are going to have find another Nash in the NCAA or someone in Europe who wants to try their hand at the NHL and doesn't mind spending some time in the AHL to do it. There are also unsigned juniors we can sign. We should be scouting goalies too. I know Price is young and in place, but still, we have nobody coming in and Sanford seems to get injured a lot.

Nash will be a defensive call-up next year again, but after that it gets a little thin for quality call-ups. That's probably why the Habs traded for Festerling.

We're actually better off at the forward position.

If the Habs do end up trading Andrei Kostitsyn, I hope they can get a young defenseman back. We could use a guy like Colten Teubert. L.A already has a deep NHL blueline and a deep defense prospect pool, so Teubert could be someone they could move. That's a player the Habs should target.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:19 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
He's the same age as Tinordi, but Morgan Ellis seems promising.

I hope the Habs can sign some promising undrafted prospects, Desharnais and Nash have worked out well so far. Does anyone know who some top undrafted dmen from the Q would be?

Not so sure about that, Tinordi didn't make the long list for Team USA, and by most accounts he has been disappointing in London. I don't think you can count on 2-3 years (age 20-21) for him to reach the NHL. I just hope he's ready by 22 years old.
Tinordi will be ready in 2 years max ....I saw him a few times in junior

he skates well and plays D in his own zone without pressure

he will neve be a point producer ...so if he plays a stay at home game now

and doesnt make mistakes in his own zone he isnt far off

his body needs to grow to 230-240

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote