HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Simmons/Mark Spector at presser yesterday lol.

Old
02-19-2011, 02:53 PM
leafspring*

vCash: 500
Steve Simmons/Mark Spector at presser yesterday lol.

Did anyone hear Burke ridicule these two when they were questioning him on getting prospects,and were trying to be leading that he has changed direction. Burke skook his head in disgust saying to them. "i answered your question and its just not the answer you were looking for" I'm not giving you the answer you want steve so don't try getting your answer from another angle" "just give me another question" from someone else.

Simmons bumboy spector takes up the cause,and gets the same reaction from burke.

Burke showed his disdain for those 2 with snarlyness,ignorance. I say they picked up what they've been layin down,and deserved it.

So today spector writes this to prove the scum bag he is! http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/..._column_leafs/

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:23 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Did anyone hear Burke ridicule these two when they were questioning him on getting prospects,and were trying to be leading that he has changed direction. Burke skook his head in disgust saying to them. "i answered your question and its just not the answer you were looking for" I'm not giving you the answer you want steve so don't try getting your answer from another angle" "just give me another question" from someone else.

Simmons bumboy spector takes up the cause,and gets the same reaction from burke.

Burke showed his disdain for those 2 with snarlyness,ignorance. I say they picked up what they've been layin down,and deserved it.

So today spector writes this to prove the scum bag he is! http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/..._column_leafs/
as burke agreed, they raised fair questions

i was just happy to see burke get pissed at them, good to see he still has that fire in his rather large belly

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:27 PM
stoney

It is interesting that Spector guarantees we are going to be worse without Kaberle.

No knock on Kaberle, he is an excellent player. That said, we've been in the basement for a long time with him on the team, it's not like it's going to get worse.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
zeke
#freewilly

as long as Reimer plays (and keeps playing as he has), we'll likely look better than we did for most of the time kabby was here.

one goalie is far more important than one defenseman.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:35 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

To me they were making the case that the Leafs were giving up on the season by trading Kaberle and that's what irritated Burke.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:44 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Theoretically we will be worse without Kabs. But it'll be interesting to see if the writers admit to being wrong if we stay the same or move up in the standings.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:05 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
To me they were making the case that the Leafs were giving up on the season by trading Kaberle and that's what irritated Burke.
Burke has the franchise changing all the time as i would expect from any GM worth their weight. These reporters think they are larger than the team,and need to be recognized as some kind of hockey experts for writing a article here,and there suggesting things are being done wrong.

I would think being the experts they are that they would know there is no exact science to building a team,and there will be recourse occasionally to correct things. Atleast we can rest assured we have a GM big enough to admit things will sometimes not work,and attempt adjustment.

Nothing wrong with that!

This player movement is a betterment in the present,and future imho. The picks,cap room,adding Lupul,and the time still left to deadline leads me to believe that he should still be very active trying to help get the team to the play-offs.

There is reason to believe that many positions currently taken on the team could be up-graded if certain things fell into place for a couple more trades.

Quite frankly i see opportunity more today than when Beauchemin,Versteeg,and Kaberle were holding roster spots. To me Aulie is a up-grade on Beauchemin,Lupul fits better than Versteeg,and at least one trade is needed if you want to continue developing in the Marlies players to replace Kabby.

This can be done with-out even mention of Richards(who i think would be great to have) but reporters wanting to spout our play-off hopes are over, well they just aren't as smart as they think they are imo.

There is more opportunity now than we have seen in years i think.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Teflon Don

Quote:
The reason why Burke got pissed was not because they were making the case that the Leafs were giving up on the season. Burke got pissed because they could make that case in an article without having to question Burke about it. He got pissed because they were trying to get a quote out of him, saying something he didn't actually mean. IMO Burke had every reason to be snarly with those two d.ouches.

Teflon Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Suntouchable13

Burke has not changed his plan, not at all. He is not going to try for a high pick next season. Like he said in the presser yesterday, he likes to get prospects that are close to being ready. The reason why he got Colborne and Gardiner is because those 2 players are close to being ready for the NHL. His plan is NOT finishing in the basement next season.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
The reason why Burke got pissed was not because they were making the case that the Leafs were giving up on the season. Burke got pissed because they could make that case in an article without having to question Burke about it. He got pissed because they were trying to get a quote out of him, saying something he didn't actually mean. IMO Burke had every reason to be snarly with those two d.ouches.
Burkie knows who the media morons are in toronto,and just showed his dislike for a couple. Why they insist on having a agenda to expedite instead of a relationship based on honour with the team has always confused me in terms of these media types(and they are many).

They simple show their short-comings with the way they are.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:17 PM
dimi78

Quote:
The questions were loaded so they could write crap like this Spector did That's why Burke got irritated and let them know it. Brian Burke's rebuilding plan is being done in a Gray area you can't see where all the pieces will come from the only thing we know is that young players, top prospects and players in there prime is the target and he's using all 3 avenues to rebuild this team (draft & develop, trades and UFA) the media has nothing to write in result of being stuck in a gray area so they try and paint a black and white picture of how a rebuild should be done to have something to write and the Leafs have become an easy target because the team hasn't instantly become a playoff team when they've traded 2 1st round picks.

Trading for a 21 year old top line goal scorer isn't a quick fix even for a team that misses the playoffs yet in that article that's what we're being lead to believe and so many people have swallowed the theory that there's a quick fix going on because Burke is trying to win as quick as possible but neglecting the fact that he's trying to win while putting together a young team and let them grow as a team together which in fact is what a rebuild looks like.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
TOG26

Spector is a dumbass who has a very western style hate for the Leafs. He will do whatever he can to write negative articles about them because it gets him hits with his western audience. Also he is a Oilers guy and doesn't want to write about them because they are doing the "right" kind of rebuild and haven't progressed in the 3 years they have been at it.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

He stood out like a sore thumb yesturday. Burke called him out for the douch he is.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
asdf

It seems like Burke is getting pissed off every time he makes a media appearance these days.

He got pissed at Bryan Hayes when asked a similar question about changing directions.

He got pissed at Kypreos regarding Grabs and criticisms about playing him after the two hits from Chara. Burke even called him Doug (MacLean).

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:31 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
The questions were loaded so they could write crap like this Spector did That's why Burke got irritated and let them know it. Brian Burke's rebuilding plan is being done in a Gray area you can't see where all the pieces will come from the only thing we know is that young players, top prospects and players in there prime is the target and he's using all 3 avenues to rebuild this team (draft & develop, trades and UFA) the media has nothing to write in result of being stuck in a gray area so they try and paint a black and white picture of how a rebuild should be done to have something to write and the Leafs have become an easy target because the team hasn't instantly become a playoff team when they've traded 2 1st round picks.

Trading for a 21 year old top line goal scorer isn't a quick fix even for a team that misses the playoffs yet in that article that's what we're being lead to believe and so many people have swallowed the theory that there's a quick fix going on because Burke is trying to win as quick as possible but neglecting the fact that he's trying to win while putting together a young team and let them grow as a team together which in fact is what a rebuild looks like.
Nice! Very well articulated imo.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Crazy8

The best way to deflate this A$$hole is to make your opinions known on Sportsnet.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...afs/#community

Crazy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:45 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
It seems like Burke is getting pissed off every time he makes a media appearance these days.

He got pissed at Bryan Hayes when asked a similar question about changing directions.

He got pissed at Kypreos regarding Grabs and criticisms about playing him after the two hits from Chara. Burke even called him Doug (MacLean).
To be honest i would be in their face at every opportunity also if i was lucky enough to be in the position of running that franchise. These guys should be held accountable for spouting garbage. Thats not a easy job to do,and i would assume would require mutual respect among GM's in doing business.

I think Burke,and Nonis are quite well respected around the league by the their peers.

The recovery to this point has been very good i think we can all agree,but not a encouraging word from most reporters. Damien Cox was the only one i seen who seems to be grasping the monumental task ahead of Burke in putting something respectable together for the future. It shouldn't matter if you make a mistake here or there, It is how well you can fix them,and should only be considered a mistake if it goes un-noticed.

I would never underestimate Burkie's value to us,because he has proven before he can get it done. I respect his style that he goes about things.

Old
02-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Two important things here to understand.

A) Burke was not mad at the questions he is actually mad that his retooling on the fly plan is not working. Burke is in damage control mode now trying to make the best of a bad situation plain and simple. Burke hates to lose and all his teams have done since his rebuild is lose for the most part..

Burke was assembling a Team he thought would be competitive now. So when Burke acquired Versteeg he didn't plan on shipping him out 50 games later claiming its not working.. Picks is simple the best return he could get and it wasn't even what he wants really and he will tell you that in the interview. Nobody was willing to give him a < 23 year old player in exchange, so he took the picks instead.. Beauchemin was signed as veteran presence to ship out 1 1/2 years into his stay for prospects and picks., again an result of Team failure overall. Burke wanted to be a buyer not a seller this year this trade deadline..

If you heard Burke earlier this year when asked why he kept Kaberle, and if he was worried of losing him for nothing, he would respond abruptly with "I get cap space back and that is not nothing".. Yesterday again because of the Teams failures now he is barking out at reporters when ask about trading Kaberle for the best return he could get.. Getting angry when ask why the sudden change in opinion and team direction. Now suddenly letting Kabs walk away after Feb 28th hit a nerve and it was no longer about this great recaptured cap space.

B) Leaf Nation should not be fooled into believing Burke is changing direction here and moving to a slow draft rebuild suddenly while admitting his other plan is not working.. Those picks and prospect that are flying in the door are assets that Burke is likely already trying to turn around and reinvest in other players if possible. There is NO CHANGE of course its still full speed ahead and these recent assets are simply a fallout of his earlier transactions that he would prefer not to have but a winning team instead. Leaf Nation draft rebuild fans simply lucked out because Burke fell into this damage control mode now, but it could be very short lived.

02-19-2011, 05:04 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

A) Burke was not mad at the questions he is actually mad that his retooling on the fly plan is not working. Burke is in damage control mode now trying to make the best of a bad situation..

Burke was assembling a Team he thought would be competitive now. So when Burke acquired Versteeg he didn't plan on shipping him out 50 games later claiming its not working.. Picks is simple the best return he could get and it wasn't even what he wants really. Nobody was willing to give him a < 23 year old player in exchange, so he took the picks instead.. Beauchemin was signed as veteran presence to ship out 1 1/2 years into his stay for prospects and picks., again an result of Team failure overall. Burke wanted to be a buyer not a seller this year..

If you heard Burke earlier this year when asked why he kept Kaberle, and if he was worried of losing him for nothing, he would respond abruptly with "I get cap space back" and that is not nothing.. Yesterday again because of the Teams failures now he is trading Kaberle for the best return he could get, and getting angry when ask why the change in direction. Now suddenly letting Kabs walk away after Feb 28th hit a nerve and it was no longer about this great recaptured cap space.
Didn't realize you could read minds now too.

Quote:

B) Leaf Nation should not be fooled into believing Burke is changing direction here and moving to a slow draft rebuild suddenly while admitting his other plan is not working.. Those picks and prospect that are flying in the door are assets that Burke is likely already trying to turn around and reinvest in other players if possible. There is NO CHANGE of course its still full speed ahead and these recent assets are simply a fallout of his earlier transactions that he would prefer not to have but a winning team instead. Leaf Nation draft rebuild fans simply lucked out because Burke fell into this damage control mode now, but it could be very short lived.
This is probably the only sensible thing you have ever posted on this forum.

mikeo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Darcy Tucker

but the team is competitive now. we are one of the youngest in the league and two games under .500 and on the door of a playoff spot. we also have a plethora of young prospects and a ton of draft picks and lots of cap room. how can u still be negative about burke mess.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Mowerman

Quote:

A) Burke was not mad at the questions he is actually mad that his retooling on the fly plan is not working. Burke is in damage control mode now trying to make the best of a bad situation plain and simple. Burke hates to lose and all his teams have done since his rebuild is lose for the most part..

Burke was assembling a Team he thought would be competitive now. So when Burke acquired Versteeg he didn't plan on shipping him out 50 games later claiming its not working.. Picks is simple the best return he could get and it wasn't even what he wants really and he will tell you that in the interview. Nobody was willing to give him a < 23 year old player in exchange, so he took the picks instead.. Beauchemin was signed as veteran presence to ship out 1 1/2 years into his stay for prospects and picks., again an result of Team failure overall. Burke wanted to be a buyer not a seller this year this trade deadline..
All you are doing is speculating on something you most likely don't have any information on. Can you prove that any of these things are true? Until you can this is Eklund tier.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Simcoe23

Spector is a plug. Burke should have asked him how his Oilers are doing with their "Traditional rebuild".

Burke's not nearly done and I guess that not completely obvious to Spector, and Simmons apparently. What we have and look like today will not be the same as the 28th or June 24th or July 1st.

Simcoe23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:15 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

Burkie is sending mixed signals, and didn't liked being called out? Honestly guys, one day he says we want to win now, then starts the firesale for picks, but doesn't want to admit it? Doesn't make sense...don't be cranky with reporters who aren't afraid to ask the tough questions...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
TheTruculentTML
In it to win it

Quote:

If you heard Burke earlier this year when asked why he kept Kaberle, and if he was worried of losing him for nothing, he would respond abruptly with "I get cap space back and that is not nothing".. Yesterday again because of the Teams failures now he is barking out at reporters when ask about trading Kaberle for the best return he could get.. Getting angry when ask why the sudden change in opinion and team direction. Now suddenly letting Kabs walk away after Feb 28th hit a nerve and it was no longer about this great recaptured cap space.

Possibly the most biased post here on HFB. There was nothing more to his anger than what he stated...that they were asking stupid questionned geared towards prompting negative remarks from Burke. He even said that his answer was the truth and not what they wanted to hear and that he was annoyed that they continued to incite a negative response after he'd already answered...multiple times. Those two duoches were put in their place as they should have been.

Last edited by ULF_55: 02-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.
TheTruculentTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 06:34 PM
tillman40
Bo Knows Bo

I think he was more pissed off because the way those clowns were asking questions...in his mind (and in the eyes of most Leaf fans) he has made 2 great deals for the future and like he said what is the sense in squeaking into the playoffs and getting blown out in four games....no matter he does the "nay sayers" will never be satisfied and Simmons and Spector fall into that group....losing Kabs does hurt our chances to make this years post season but he is taking one step back for two steps forward...he could have lost Kabs for nothing in July this way we have a potential first (more likely second) line center and a 1st round pick (maybe a 2nd as well)....no matter what he does there will always be fans and media that question the direction he is going...stay the course BB

tillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote