HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need for a Heavyweight?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2011, 10:23 PM
  #1
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Need for a Heavyweight?

Are we gonna address the need for a Heavy for the rest of they year or just go with what we have? If Boogaard is out for the year/career we really need to address this.I would love to pick up McGratts on the cheap.If the Pens wanna get nasty with us we really need a bigger body.The Flyers will be looking for blood next game because of Avery..Prust can not handle going toe to toe with the other teams Enforcers.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
  #2
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Pass. Hasn't done the team much good & team toughness >>> singular tough guy.
Waste of capspace and icetime IMHO in this day and age.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
  #3
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't think we're going to address the need for one, because we don't need one.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
  #4
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Agreed. I'd take Colton Orr back. We were getting pushed around tonight.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
  #5
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Agreed. I'd take Colton Orr back. We were getting pushed around tonight.
its only when gaborik is on the ice it seems that way...but seriously i dont think there is a need for one. maybe a nasty dman that hits a bit. maybe someone like bieksa or brad stuart someone like that. id love erhoff from the canucks.. he has a hard shot and plays a solid defensive game.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:56 AM
  #6
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't think we're going to address the need for one, because we don't need one.
I agree. This team is all for one, one for all. Dont need a no talent goon in the lineup. We need Hockey Players in our lineup.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
  #7
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Are we gonna address the need for a Heavy for the rest of they year or just go with what we have? If Boogaard is out for the year/career we really need to address this.I would love to pick up McGratts on the cheap.If the Pens wanna get nasty with us we really need a bigger body.The Flyers will be looking for blood next game because of Avery..Prust can not handle going toe to toe with the other teams Enforcers.
We definitely need one and McGratts would be the perfect alternative until Boogie gets back!

I love Prust to death but he needs to stay in his weight class. I was at the game last night and almost couldn't look but it is remarkable how good of a fighter he is...

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:07 AM
  #8
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Agreed. I'd take Colton Orr back. We were getting pushed around tonight.
And having Orr play 5-6 minutes a night would change that how? Would Orr fighting Engelland somehow have stopped all the other pens players from playing hard?

You want to know how to counter the other team's goon? Skate away. Prust doesn't need to fight Engelland. What purpose did that serve last night? None.

I have no problem with players who contribute by fighting, but they need to also be able to contribute in other ways. Boogaard cannot. Orr cannot. We seem to be the only team in the league that can't solve the "enforcer" problem. We got rid of Orr and signed Brashear, who was a disaster. So we traded for Shelley, who everyone grew to like because he actually contributed on the forecheck. But we let him walk and signed Boogaard, who's sole contribution is fighting, and he didn't even do that all that well before getting hurt.

On this team's list of problems, replacing Boogaard is at the very bottom. Maybe instead we could worry about fixing our PP.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:12 AM
  #9
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,223
vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And having Orr play 5-6 minutes a night would change that how? Would Orr fighting Engelland somehow have stopped all the other pens players from playing hard?

You want to know how to counter the other team's goon? Skate away. Prust doesn't need to fight Engelland. What purpose did that serve last night? None.

I have no problem with players who contribute by fighting, but they need to also be able to contribute in other ways. Boogaard cannot. Orr cannot. We seem to be the only team in the league that can't solve the "enforcer" problem. We got rid of Orr and signed Brashear, who was a disaster. So we traded for Shelley, who everyone grew to like because he actually contributed on the forecheck. But we let him walk and signed Boogaard, who's sole contribution is fighting, and he didn't even do that all that well before getting hurt.

On this team's list of problems, replacing Boogaard is at the very bottom. Maybe instead we could worry about fixing our PP.
yeah i would rather get a big shot from the point instead of some goon who can't skate

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:43 AM
  #10
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,867
vCash: 500
A heavyweight????

Two of Drury, Avery, Fedotenko, Christensen and Zuccarello have to sit once Prospal comes back.

Why make it 3???

There is no need. Really. There isnt. Has the loss of Boogaard effected this team in any way other than positive? Well theres your answer.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:47 AM
  #11
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
We need a...

-Veteran defenseman

-A cannon at the blueline

-Another fighter


Souray's available, right?



Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:55 AM
  #12
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And having Orr play 5-6 minutes a night would change that how? Would Orr fighting Engelland somehow have stopped all the other pens players from playing hard?

You want to know how to counter the other team's goon? Skate away. Prust doesn't need to fight Engelland. What purpose did that serve last night? None.

I have no problem with players who contribute by fighting, but they need to also be able to contribute in other ways. Boogaard cannot. Orr cannot. We seem to be the only team in the league that can't solve the "enforcer" problem. We got rid of Orr and signed Brashear, who was a disaster. So we traded for Shelley, who everyone grew to like because he actually contributed on the forecheck. But we let him walk and signed Boogaard, who's sole contribution is fighting, and he didn't even do that all that well before getting hurt.

On this team's list of problems, replacing Boogaard is at the very bottom. Maybe instead we could worry about fixing our PP.
Very good post and I agree about Prust not fighting Engelland. However, I think the Pens proved that you could get the Rangers off of their game by being physical with them. Talbot, Cooke and even Dupuis were always getting involved with the Rangers and I think it distracted them. Let's not forget the manhandling Dubi took from Letang, which led to Dubi getting a penalty.

I would say this Ranger team is a lot tougher teamwise than in the past but it will be interesting to see how the Rangers respond in future games, namely tomorrow night.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:23 AM
  #13
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,214
vCash: 500
What the Rangers need is Chris Neil. Another player like Prust who can drop the gloves and be a deterrent while also adding a physical presence and a strong forecheck.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
  #14
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Very good post and I agree about Prust not fighting Engelland. However, I think the Pens proved that you could get the Rangers off of their game by being physical with them. Talbot, Cooke and even Dupuis were always getting involved with the Rangers and I think it distracted them. Let's not forget the manhandling Dubi took from Letang, which led to Dubi getting a penalty.

I would say this Ranger team is a lot tougher teamwise than in the past but it will be interesting to see how the Rangers respond in future games, namely tomorrow night.
The Rangers ****ing dominated the game last night. Dominated it. They certainly weren't distracted enough to keep them from doing that. The Pens got excellent goaltending and played very good defense and the Rangers still put up 3 goals on them. The problems the Rangers had came from their own making; loosening up their defense and not being in position, allowing the Pens to score three goals by driving to the net and not blocking shots like they should.

There's no reason whatsoever to overreact about last nights game.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
  #15
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,808
vCash: 500
Awards:
There are bigger needs than a heavyweight.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
  #16
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What the Rangers need is Chris Neil. Another player like Prust who can drop the gloves and be a deterrent while also adding a physical presence and a strong forecheck.
1000000% agree and would love him for the playoff run

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
  #17
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,449
vCash: 500
The question would be who he would replace?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:51 AM
  #18
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The Rangers ****ing dominated the game last night. Dominated it. They certainly weren't distracted enough to keep them from doing that. The Pens got excellent goaltending and played very good defense and the Rangers still put up 3 goals on them. The problems the Rangers had came from their own making; loosening up their defense and not being in position, allowing the Pens to score three goals by driving to the net and not blocking shots like they should.

There's no reason whatsoever to overreact about last nights game.
Who is overreacting? I commented about one game. We'll see how they do, starting tomorrow.

Speaking of overreacting, the Rangers ****ing dominated the game??? The first period was even at best until later in the period for the Rangers. The second period I leaned more towards the Pens for the stretch of time where they scored their goals. I'll give you the third. I wouldn't call that ****ing dominating a game. What were the shots on goal, 29-26? And the Rangers had a 6-3 power play advantage.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
  #19
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,725
vCash: 500
I don't think a heavyweight is necessary right now, we've been holding our own of late and last night we got pushed around because we didn't push back not because we didn't have boogaard in the lineup. It's going to be tough enough to Feds/prospal/EC into the lineup right now let's not make it harder for the sake of having a single-use goon for the sake of making the team appear tougher and getting into a fight maybe once a game.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
  #20
NYRangers77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Just wait he is coming....









MSG should hire moosejaws announcer for just when he fights, he would be in the booth waiting and then as soon as it goes down he hops on the mic "DYLAN MCILRATH!!!"

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
  #21
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,389
vCash: 500
Not against Neil but the question of who he replaces is key. Definitely a 4th liner if he did get here.

Rangers do need a heavyweight--no question in my mind--but what they really need is a heavyweight who can play. McIlrath may be that guy. He's a couple years away at least though.

Prust is not a heavyweight but he can hang in against a lot of them but all it takes some times is one not so good outing and you've got an injured player. Neil fits the bill a little better but he's not quite as good a player. OTOH when in comes to hitting Neil is a pretty decent skater and he can be a very disruptive force.

Anyway back in '94 the Rangers made all kinds of deadline deals--no more Amonte, Gartner etc. They gave up some youth, a lot of goals and talent and got back big bodied grinders who could chip in on offense, were defensively responsible and played with a lot of grit. Those deals were essential to our winning the cup. A player like Neil can take a pounding and give one. You can go to war with him. He's not fun to play against.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
  #22
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Who is overreacting? I commented about one game. We'll see how they do, starting tomorrow.

Speaking of overreacting, the Rangers ****ing dominated the game??? The first period was even at best until later in the period for the Rangers. The second period I leaned more towards the Pens for the stretch of time where they scored their goals. I'll give you the third. I wouldn't call that ****ing dominating a game. What were the shots on goal, 29-26? And the Rangers had a 6-3 power play advantage.
The actual scoring chances generated by each team was absolutely dominated by the Rangers so much that it was ridiculous. That's what I mean by they dominated the game. The Pens got very few good scoring chances...they just capitalized on some good fortune and generating some traffic.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
  #23
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,818
vCash: 500
Absolutely not necessary at all. The game has evolved past the point of an enforcer being necessary. This team has tried them out and failed with them so much. I don't understand how anyone can advocate getting another one. The roster is already tight with players that are actually good we don't need to lose one of them for a fighter.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
  #24
TreeSapLlama
Registered User
 
TreeSapLlama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Ignoring the contract, I was happy we signed Boogaard as I felt there was still a role for heavyweights in the NHL. I can't say I really feel the same way anymore. I would rather have a player like Prust who can contribute and go with 75% of the league then a player like Boogaard who will fight anyone, but rides the pine otherwise. I thought with the Boogaard signing we would at least get a player who could skate fast enough to hit people and intimidate through that, but I was wrong (be it conditioning or whatever).

If we need an enforcer, it has to be one that can play. The closest we had was Shelley. I don't see any available.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
  #25
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
Given that Boogard's possibly career ending injury ranks up there with the Gomez trade on the "wow, we really luck out eh?" meter, I'm going to go ahead and say that this team will be just fine without a heavy.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.