HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Need for a Heavyweight?

Old
02-01-2011, 10:23 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

vCash: 500
Need for a Heavyweight?

Are we gonna address the need for a Heavy for the rest of they year or just go with what we have? If Boogaard is out for the year/career we really need to address this.I would love to pick up McGratts on the cheap.If the Pens wanna get nasty with us we really need a bigger body.The Flyers will be looking for blood next game because of Avery..Prust can not handle going toe to toe with the other teams Enforcers.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Pass. Hasn't done the team much good & team toughness >>> singular tough guy.
Waste of capspace and icetime IMHO in this day and age.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't think we're going to address the need for one, because we don't need one.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:38 PM
levski87

Agreed. I'd take Colton Orr back. We were getting pushed around tonight.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
its only when gaborik is on the ice it seems that way...but seriously i dont think there is a need for one. maybe a nasty dman that hits a bit. maybe someone like bieksa or brad stuart someone like that. id love erhoff from the canucks.. he has a hard shot and plays a solid defensive game.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 06:56 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't think we're going to address the need for one, because we don't need one.
I agree. This team is all for one, one for all. Dont need a no talent goon in the lineup. We need Hockey Players in our lineup.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Are we gonna address the need for a Heavy for the rest of they year or just go with what we have? If Boogaard is out for the year/career we really need to address this.I would love to pick up McGratts on the cheap.If the Pens wanna get nasty with us we really need a bigger body.The Flyers will be looking for blood next game because of Avery..Prust can not handle going toe to toe with the other teams Enforcers.
We definitely need one and McGratts would be the perfect alternative until Boogie gets back!

I love Prust to death but he needs to stay in his weight class. I was at the game last night and almost couldn't look but it is remarkable how good of a fighter he is...

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:07 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
And having Orr play 5-6 minutes a night would change that how? Would Orr fighting Engelland somehow have stopped all the other pens players from playing hard?

You want to know how to counter the other team's goon? Skate away. Prust doesn't need to fight Engelland. What purpose did that serve last night? None.

I have no problem with players who contribute by fighting, but they need to also be able to contribute in other ways. Boogaard cannot. Orr cannot. We seem to be the only team in the league that can't solve the "enforcer" problem. We got rid of Orr and signed Brashear, who was a disaster. So we traded for Shelley, who everyone grew to like because he actually contributed on the forecheck. But we let him walk and signed Boogaard, who's sole contribution is fighting, and he didn't even do that all that well before getting hurt.

On this team's list of problems, replacing Boogaard is at the very bottom. Maybe instead we could worry about fixing our PP.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And having Orr play 5-6 minutes a night would change that how? Would Orr fighting Engelland somehow have stopped all the other pens players from playing hard?

You want to know how to counter the other team's goon? Skate away. Prust doesn't need to fight Engelland. What purpose did that serve last night? None.

I have no problem with players who contribute by fighting, but they need to also be able to contribute in other ways. Boogaard cannot. Orr cannot. We seem to be the only team in the league that can't solve the "enforcer" problem. We got rid of Orr and signed Brashear, who was a disaster. So we traded for Shelley, who everyone grew to like because he actually contributed on the forecheck. But we let him walk and signed Boogaard, who's sole contribution is fighting, and he didn't even do that all that well before getting hurt.

On this team's list of problems, replacing Boogaard is at the very bottom. Maybe instead we could worry about fixing our PP.
yeah i would rather get a big shot from the point instead of some goon who can't skate

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:43 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

A heavyweight????

Two of Drury, Avery, Fedotenko, Christensen and Zuccarello have to sit once Prospal comes back.

Why make it 3???

There is no need. Really. There isnt. Has the loss of Boogaard effected this team in any way other than positive? Well theres your answer.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

We need a...

-Veteran defenseman

-A cannon at the blueline

-Another fighter

Souray's available, right?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Very good post and I agree about Prust not fighting Engelland. However, I think the Pens proved that you could get the Rangers off of their game by being physical with them. Talbot, Cooke and even Dupuis were always getting involved with the Rangers and I think it distracted them. Let's not forget the manhandling Dubi took from Letang, which led to Dubi getting a penalty.

I would say this Ranger team is a lot tougher teamwise than in the past but it will be interesting to see how the Rangers respond in future games, namely tomorrow night.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:23 AM
NYR Viper

What the Rangers need is Chris Neil. Another player like Prust who can drop the gloves and be a deterrent while also adding a physical presence and a strong forecheck.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Very good post and I agree about Prust not fighting Engelland. However, I think the Pens proved that you could get the Rangers off of their game by being physical with them. Talbot, Cooke and even Dupuis were always getting involved with the Rangers and I think it distracted them. Let's not forget the manhandling Dubi took from Letang, which led to Dubi getting a penalty.

I would say this Ranger team is a lot tougher teamwise than in the past but it will be interesting to see how the Rangers respond in future games, namely tomorrow night.
The Rangers ****ing dominated the game last night. Dominated it. They certainly weren't distracted enough to keep them from doing that. The Pens got excellent goaltending and played very good defense and the Rangers still put up 3 goals on them. The problems the Rangers had came from their own making; loosening up their defense and not being in position, allowing the Pens to score three goals by driving to the net and not blocking shots like they should.

There's no reason whatsoever to overreact about last nights game.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
There are bigger needs than a heavyweight.

02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What the Rangers need is Chris Neil. Another player like Prust who can drop the gloves and be a deterrent while also adding a physical presence and a strong forecheck.
1000000% agree and would love him for the playoff run

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Levitate

The question would be who he would replace?

Old
02-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The Rangers ****ing dominated the game last night. Dominated it. They certainly weren't distracted enough to keep them from doing that. The Pens got excellent goaltending and played very good defense and the Rangers still put up 3 goals on them. The problems the Rangers had came from their own making; loosening up their defense and not being in position, allowing the Pens to score three goals by driving to the net and not blocking shots like they should.

There's no reason whatsoever to overreact about last nights game.
Who is overreacting? I commented about one game. We'll see how they do, starting tomorrow.

Speaking of overreacting, the Rangers ****ing dominated the game??? The first period was even at best until later in the period for the Rangers. The second period I leaned more towards the Pens for the stretch of time where they scored their goals. I'll give you the third. I wouldn't call that ****ing dominating a game. What were the shots on goal, 29-26? And the Rangers had a 6-3 power play advantage.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

I don't think a heavyweight is necessary right now, we've been holding our own of late and last night we got pushed around because we didn't push back not because we didn't have boogaard in the lineup. It's going to be tough enough to Feds/prospal/EC into the lineup right now let's not make it harder for the sake of having a single-use goon for the sake of making the team appear tougher and getting into a fight maybe once a game.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
NYRangers77

Just wait he is coming....

MSG should hire moosejaws announcer for just when he fights, he would be in the booth waiting and then as soon as it goes down he hops on the mic "DYLAN MCILRATH!!!"

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
eco's bones

Not against Neil but the question of who he replaces is key. Definitely a 4th liner if he did get here.

Rangers do need a heavyweight--no question in my mind--but what they really need is a heavyweight who can play. McIlrath may be that guy. He's a couple years away at least though.

Prust is not a heavyweight but he can hang in against a lot of them but all it takes some times is one not so good outing and you've got an injured player. Neil fits the bill a little better but he's not quite as good a player. OTOH when in comes to hitting Neil is a pretty decent skater and he can be a very disruptive force.

Anyway back in '94 the Rangers made all kinds of deadline deals--no more Amonte, Gartner etc. They gave up some youth, a lot of goals and talent and got back big bodied grinders who could chip in on offense, were defensively responsible and played with a lot of grit. Those deals were essential to our winning the cup. A player like Neil can take a pounding and give one. You can go to war with him. He's not fun to play against.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Who is overreacting? I commented about one game. We'll see how they do, starting tomorrow.

Speaking of overreacting, the Rangers ****ing dominated the game??? The first period was even at best until later in the period for the Rangers. The second period I leaned more towards the Pens for the stretch of time where they scored their goals. I'll give you the third. I wouldn't call that ****ing dominating a game. What were the shots on goal, 29-26? And the Rangers had a 6-3 power play advantage.
The actual scoring chances generated by each team was absolutely dominated by the Rangers so much that it was ridiculous. That's what I mean by they dominated the game. The Pens got very few good scoring chances...they just capitalized on some good fortune and generating some traffic.

Old
02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
haveandare

Absolutely not necessary at all. The game has evolved past the point of an enforcer being necessary. This team has tried them out and failed with them so much. I don't understand how anyone can advocate getting another one. The roster is already tight with players that are actually good we don't need to lose one of them for a fighter.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
TreeSapLlama

Ignoring the contract, I was happy we signed Boogaard as I felt there was still a role for heavyweights in the NHL. I can't say I really feel the same way anymore. I would rather have a player like Prust who can contribute and go with 75% of the league then a player like Boogaard who will fight anyone, but rides the pine otherwise. I thought with the Boogaard signing we would at least get a player who could skate fast enough to hit people and intimidate through that, but I was wrong (be it conditioning or whatever).

If we need an enforcer, it has to be one that can play. The closest we had was Shelley. I don't see any available.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Synergy27

Given that Boogard's possibly career ending injury ranks up there with the Gomez trade on the "wow, we really luck out eh?" meter, I'm going to go ahead and say that this team will be just fine without a heavy.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote