HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Proposal Thread #5/Rumor thread (Both Oiler and Non-Oiler)

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Booya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
From Rob Rossi, Penguins' beat writer:

"Pens source says asking price for Hemsky is huge."
Rightfully so, considering what's been established in the market so far...

Old
02-20-2011, 01:05 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

vCash: 500
Seller's market, and a healthy hemsky is a dangerous hemsky and potentially worth a king's randsom to some desperate team with a good prospect pool to trade away.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:07 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schollie View Post
Just have to make sure, you know the world juniors is against other kids right? Not NHLers. Frankly for Penner it should be Schenn+ (not the Penner of the last 3 games). Admittedly I don't know much about forbort but I know he isn't worth Omark who has unreal puck control, Martindale who leads ohl in +\- and is up there in points not to mention two second round picks. See Marincin and Pitlick for why that's a horrible proposal. As well Penner is a lock to resign in LA so it's not just for a year and a half. Believe me I want a star center for the Oilers but not at that cost. That's why im on board with taking Sean Couturier (or RNH whatever Stu likes) cause centers are near impossible to acquire where as defenseman seem to always be on the move since there development is so unpredictable.

*typed from iPhone sorry for mistakes/ trippy autocorrects*
I'm sorry, please, PLEASE show me the part where I said 'let's go after Schenn because of his world junior performance'. Lol, that's odd, you won't find that quote anywhere.

You have to understand that we need to give to get. I think many people overrate Penner a little bit. I like what he brings, but he is not worth Schenn +.

I have to ask you, do you watch the OHL much? Because I have seasons tickets. I don't want to take away from Martindale, he was the right pick where we took him, but he is on a free ride with his line, and his chemistry with Toffoli could be appealing to Lombardi.

And how can you say that you don't know much about a player... but then say 'But I do know our guy is better'. That line right there REALLY makes me question the logic in anything you have to say, because there was absolutely NO logic there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Sure, Schen and Forbort would propbably be worth it.
But Lombard wouldn't do it.
I wanted only say that early 2nd roud picks have a good value.
True they do, but after the first 15 picks, this is a weak draft. Versteeg and Fisher likely would not have gotten those first rounders last year. I think most playoff teams this year are willing to give up their first for playoff help because of this.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:08 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Actually, I want to go big on this proposal, because I really like the idea of getting Schenn and Forbort out of LA. To expand on what I had before, a big blockbuster deal.

To Edmonton:

Schenn
Forbort
5th Round Pick 2012

To Los Angeles

Penner
Omark
Martindale
2011 2nd Round Pick
2012 2nd Round Pick
thats actually not a bad proposal, might have to replace omark with cogliano or forbert with hickey/tuebert... kings would arguably be giving upt heir best two prospects... maybe penner omark smid and then take out one second round pick? and increase the la pacakge to a 3rd rounder...

Old
02-20-2011, 01:09 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:

True they do, but after the first 15 picks, this is a weak draft. Versteeg and Fisher likely would not have gotten those first rounders last year. I think most playoff teams this year are willing to give up their first for playoff help because of this.
I see it a bit different. After the first 11-14 there come 20-30 Player on nearly one level.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:22 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
It's not impossible that WSH could make an offer EDM likes without either of those two.

Myself, I'd be shocked if they moved Carlson for Hemsky, surprised with Alzner but less so than Carlson. Outside those two, they still have Kuznetsov, along with Orlov, Eakin, and Johansson. Plus whatever draft picks. Not sure if that's what EDM would be looking for, or what WSH would be willing to give up, but I don't think it's impossible to imagine a deal without one of the two D.
After the last several games of watching Hemsky, I'd really hate to see him go. If he was dealt, I would do:

Ideally
To WSH: Hemsky, Smid, 2011 2nd
To EDM: Kuznetzov, Carlson, 2011 2nd

These guys are both game breakers, but I agree that Carlson is not likely to go. Kuznetzov replaces Hemsky on the RW - imagine Hall and him on the same line! - both can dominate.

More realistic:
To WSH: Hemsky
To EDM: Kuznetzov, Orlov, 1st (Edit: changed from 2nd if only because of market conditions, + because WSH needs to make a go this year and next with Semin there)

Last edited by nafrelio: 02-20-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old
02-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Schollie

Quote:
I'm sorry, please, PLEASE show me the part where I said 'let's go after Schenn because of his world junior performance'. Lol, that's odd, you won't find that quote anywhere.

You have to understand that we need to give to get. I think many people overrate Penner a little bit. I like what he brings, but he is not worth Schenn +.

I have to ask you, do you watch the OHL much? Because I have seasons tickets. I don't want to take away from Martindale, he was the right pick where we took him, but he is on a free ride with his line, and his chemistry with Toffoli could be appealing to Lombardi.

And how can you say that you don't know much about a player... but then say 'But I do know our guy is better'. That line right there REALLY makes me question the logic in anything you have to say, because there was absolutely NO logic there.

I didn't say Martindale was better. Maybe it's just me I wouldn't give Martindale, Omark, and 2 2nd rounders for an unproven defenseman. As well people are giddy over Schenn's wj's on this board (saw him good) and drastically overvaluing him, he has done nothing in the NHL. Wasn't he up at the start of the season but couldn't stay on the roster? Don't get me wrong this sounds super negative I'd be thrilled to have him but huge 30 goal 60 point veteran wingers who have won the cup aren't exactly scraps. Remember just cause Schenn was taken high in the draft doesn't mean he'll automatically be a first line center.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:37 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:

The only thing with them is Malkin is out for the season, Crosby is still out with concussion like symptoms, and there draft depth is not great.

We absolutely won't get Jordon Staal hes gotta be untouchable at the moment I know theres a lot of talk about Simon Despres I don't know if hes someone you over pay for because I think Hemsky around this time year qualifies that you get a substantial package such as a #1 D or a first line player (albeit be it a roster player now, or a prospect in the future)

Edit: I don't think we could pull Malkin away either so I don't think there going to offer us what we want

Old
02-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Cam98

maybe tambs asked for malkin

Old
02-20-2011, 01:43 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schollie View Post
I didn't say Martindale was better. Maybe it's just me I wouldn't give Martindale, Omark, and 2 2nd rounders for an unproven defenseman. As well people are giddy over Schenn's wj's on this board (saw him good) and drastically overvaluing him, he has done nothing in the NHL. Wasn't he up at the start of the season but couldn't stay on the roster? Don't get me wrong this sounds super negative I'd be thrilled to have him but huge 30 goal 60 point veteran wingers who have won the cup aren't exactly scraps. Remember just cause Schenn was taken high in the draft doesn't mean he'll automatically be a first line center.
I don't mind if you don't like the deal, I just didn't appreciate the angle you took on it before, you made an assumption on my own opinion which was false. He didn't put up much in first 9 games, no, but did Hall? And Hall was getting more Ice time. I like that Los Angeles is allowing Schenn to develop in the same manner that Eberle did.

No he certainly isn't guaranteed to be a first line center, just like RNH and Couturier aren't, sometimes you have to take the gamble though, and when we have an abundance of talent in one area, and a weakness in another, I feel it's worth the gamble.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:45 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Rossi has updated the Hemsky asking price for Pittsburgh:

"At least a first-round pick and player off the NHL roster, probably more."
I'm assuming the Pens aren't gearing up for this playoffs with Malkin out and Crosby quite possibly out all year.

Maybe they're looking towards next season, and getting Crosby a winger? If so, no rush to get this deal done by the deadline, as if they're interested now, they'll be interested in the offseason too.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrelio View Post
After the last several games of watching Hemsky, I'd really hate to see him go. If he was dealt, I would do:

Ideally
To WSH: Hemsky, Smid, 2011 2nd
To EDM: Kuznetzov, Carlson, 2011 2nd

These guys are both game breakers, but I agree that Carlson is not likely to go. Kuznetzov replaces Hemsky on the RW - imagine Hall and him on the same line! - both can dominate.

More realistic:
To WSH: Hemsky
To EDM: Kuznetzov, Orlov, 1st (Edit: changed from 2nd if only because of market conditions, + because WSH needs to make a go this year and next with Semin there)
I don't want to get accused of trolling, because I don't rationally think I am, but from a Caps fan perspective (and from what GMGM's motus operandi has been) I don't really think he's willing to make either one of those offers.

The second is more palatable (as I don't think they have any intention of dealing Carlson) as it deals in mostly futures, where they could afford to give them up. Yet, at the same place, I think they forsee Kuznetsov as a game breaker at the NHL level, and might not be willing to give him up. You certainly have to give to get, and if that takes the Caps off the market for him, then i think they're ok with that.

By all means, get what you can get for Hemsky, and I think if you all feel he's worth a ton of parts or some really good ones, get what you can. I've seen some who feel he should be talked about like he's Getzlaf/Kane/Kopitar, and if he's that important, I can understand what you would want from dealing him. I just think, as the Caps stand, they most likely wouldn't be willing to pay the premium you're looking for.

I really like the player, and I think he's a pretty good one, but I do think the value to the Caps is a bit less than you might want in return.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:47 PM
KaizaSoze

i haven't seen this ANYWHERE, but anybody know if Gudbranson is available from Florida? He'd be a phenomenal pick up.

Old
02-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
maybe tambs asked for malkin
Or Crosby + 1st

Old
02-20-2011, 01:50 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
I don't mind if you don't like the deal, I just didn't appreciate the angle you took on it before, you made an assumption on my own opinion which was false. He didn't put up much in first 9 games, no, but did Hall? And Hall was getting more Ice time. I like that Los Angeles is allowing Schenn to develop in the same manner that Eberle did.

No he certainly isn't guaranteed to be a first line center, just like RNH and Couturier aren't, sometimes you have to take the gamble though, and when we have an abundance of talent in one area, and a weakness in another, I feel it's worth the gamble.
I would take a gamble on a tandem of two #1C's like Schenn or RNH/Couturier who only ended up having the caliber of a guy like Patrick Sharp. Not every team has a generational #1 C

Old
02-20-2011, 01:53 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganz View Post
Or Crosby + 1st
I am going to take a gamble and say he asked for Malkin, Crosby, and any other injured players and there 1st for Penner

Penner is that big winger they need for err... I guess I should have thought this through. Well sometimes you have to sell the farm and buy it back at an increased amount

Old
02-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

Why do I get the feeling that what Penguins beat writer think is huge and many Oiler posters think is huge are probably wildly different propositions.

I mean for all we know the beat writer is one of these ones (like McGuire) that thinks Penner or Hemsky are not even worth a late 1st round pick.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 02-20-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old
02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Why do I get the feeling that what Penguins beat writer think is huge and many Oiler posters think is huge are probably wildly different propositions.

I mean for all we know the beat writer is one of these ones (like McGuire) that thinks Penner or Hemsky are not even worth a late 1st round pick.
Its all just a bunch of propaganda. Pens writers are trying to get the asking to price to come down, but as an Oiler supporter, I think its just fine where it is. We're not looking for B-grade prospects here, we're looking for A grade beef. We can find B grade prospects at next year's deadline.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaizaSoze View Post
i haven't seen this ANYWHERE, but anybody know if Gudbranson is available from Florida? He'd be a phenomenal pick up.
no he isnt available.

Old
8BostonRocker24

IMO, the asking price from Pittsburgh for Hemsky is:

1. Simon Despres
2. Beau Bennett
3. 2011 1st

That to me, is a huge return for Hemsky. Is it fair? Considering what players have already been moved for this year, yes. Hemsky has returned to form, looks good out there, has another year on his contract and is cheap for a 1st line right wing.

IMO, Pittsburgh is trying to get him for only 2 of those 3 assets though.

Old
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaizaSoze View Post
After hearing how Florida was too cheap to give him a contract when he was clearly ready to play this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out of Florida because they won't give him a chance.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Oilerdiehard

Here is a tweet from ESPN Sports Center Anchor Linda Cohn from today:

Linda Cohn
Message to @nyrangers. GM #Glen Sather: get this hard working team some help by the trading deadline before a playoff spot slips away!

If ownership feels the same way. It might be interesting to see what Sather is up to over the next week or so. My guess is some picks and prospects might shake loose from the Rags. Sather does have a bit of cap space burning a hole in his pocket.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Here is a tweet from ESPN Sports Center Anchor Linda Cohn from today:

Linda Cohn
Message to @nyrangers. GM #Glen Sather: get this hard working team some help by the trading deadline before a playoff spot slips away!

If ownership feels the same way. It might be interesting to see what Sather is up to over the next week or so. My guess is some picks and prospects might shake loose from the Rags. Sather does have a bit of cap space burning a hole in his pocket.
Sather might become desperate enough to do Del Zotto + Grachev + 1st. MDZ has ten points in a disappointing sophomore season, Grachev is taking his time as most big guys do and that 1st could be anywhere from 15 to 25.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:31 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
After hearing how Florida was too cheap to give him a contract when he was clearly ready to play this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out of Florida because they won't give him a chance.
I would love to pick up Gudbranson. I also wonder if OEL would be available from Phoenix. Given Hemsky's success rate against the yotes you think they would be willing to give up a bit. Also, its not like they can attract players of Hemsky's skill level without overpaying on the market.

Old
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:

To be fair, it doesn't sound like his words, but his source's with the team.

But, when I hear "huge", I don't really know what that could be from Pittsburgh. I just don't find their available assets very attractive.

Closed Thread