HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where have you gone, Andrej Sekera?

Old
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Where have you gone, Andrej Sekera?

Another game, another gaff that goes into the Sabres net. His mistakes are nearly clockwork costing them at least one goal per game. He was great earlier in the year, but with Rivet basically taking his severance, Butler's game a shell of its former self, and Montador's concussion they're forced into putting him out there. At this point, he's the weakest link due to the quality minutes he and Myers eat.

Morrisonn-Weber have been good in a third pairing role, Leopold-Montador as a second pair. Do they break up working pairs to try something new or just ride out another Kalinin-esque breakdown from someone getting top four minutes? Weber's been very good on the right side with Morrisonn, but I wouldn't mind him getting ES and PK time with Myers. Weber's safe, effective, and been having consistently good games for weeks. He'd let Myers roam rather than vice-versa.

02-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Would love to see him used as the second piece in a package with Adam for a top-6 center. I just think he's always going to have stretches like this.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Another game, another gaff that goes into the Sabres net. His mistakes are nearly clockwork costing them at least one goal per game. He was great earlier in the year, but with Rivet basically taking his severance, Butler's game a shell of its former self, and Montador's concussion they're forced into putting him out there. At this point, he's the weakest link due to the quality minutes he and Myers eat.

Morrisonn-Weber have been good in a third pairing role, Leopold-Montador as a second pair. Do they break up working pairs to try something new or just ride out another Kalinin-esque breakdown from someone getting top four minutes? Weber's been very good on the right side with Morrisonn, but I wouldn't mind him getting ES and PK time with Myers. Weber's safe, effective, and been having consistently good games for weeks. He'd let Myers roam rather than vice-versa.
I was just obsessing over the defense.

I keep coming up with Weber/Myers, Morrisonn/Leopold for the next game, sit Weber, try Sekera/Rivet on the third pairing, while double shifting Myers and Leopold to play with Sekera in some ES situations. Time to lean on the guys who are getting it done.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:27 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
I had posted a status about wanting to trade Sekera about a week back and had half the responders stick up for the guy. What a crock of ****!

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:33 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post

I keep coming up with Weber/Myers, Morrisonn/Leopold for the next game, sit Weber, try Sekera/Rivet on the third pairing, while double shifting Myers and Leopold to play with Sekera in some ES situations. Time to lean on the guys who are getting it done.
Sit Weber?

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Sit Weber?
He meant Butler.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:39 PM
sabrenewf

Quote:

Weber is one of the guys who is getting it done and who plays physical .He has been our steadiest d the past 15 games.

sabrenewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Sit Weber?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrenewf View Post
Weber is one of the guys who is getting it done and who plays physical .He has been our steadiest d the past 15 games.
I misspoke. Sit Butler.

Old
02-17-2011, 08:45 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
He's so frustrating because he does so many good things moving the puck, but he seems to fall asleep at the wheel once a game. If he could cut those out he'd be an extremely solid top 4, maybe even top pairing player.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:05 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
He's so frustrating because he does so many good things moving the puck, but he seems to fall asleep at the wheel once a game. If he could cut those out he'd be an extremely solid top 4, maybe even top pairing player.
The most frustrating thing about Sekera for me is that he has all the tools to be a potent offensive player, but the ES production simply isn't there. He can gain the offensive zone with his wheels but can't seem to generate quality scoring chances. Watching him play you would think they guy is a lock for 10 goals a season. He barely has 10 after roughly 3 seasons worth of games.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:01 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
I had posted a status about wanting to trade Sekera about a week back and had half the responders stick up for the guy. What a crock of ****!
Welcome to life of a sabres fan where their memory is only as long as the last game.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Boose30

nvr really like sekera. either trade in a package or for a 2nd rounder. get MA Grags up and use him to see if its worth bringing him back, the worst that can happen is he plays as bad as sekera did and i dont see that happening.

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
nvr really like sekera. either trade in a package or for a 2nd rounder. get MA Grags up and use him to see if its worth bringing him back, the worst that can happen is he plays as bad as sekera did and i dont see that happening.

Comparing Sekera and Grags defensively, is like comparing a boulder to a rock size wise.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
He isn't horrible for the entirity of games, it's that his mis-cues have been going into the net about once per night seemingly. Much of the game he's strong, then... *bam* a mistake and it's in the net. The Bruins games, the Isles GWG, twice against Montreal just in the last 10-days or so as examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Comparing Sekera and Grags defensively, is like comparing a boulder to a rock size wise.
Yeah, if they're bringing Gragnani up to replace someone who's having a hard time clearing the zone already... that would be Butler.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:43 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 50
Quote:
The most frustrating thing about Sekera for me is that he has all the tools to be a potent offensive player, but the ES production simply isn't there. He can gain the offensive zone with his wheels but can't seem to generate quality scoring chances. Watching him play you would think they guy is a lock for 10 goals a season. He barely has 10 after roughly 3 seasons worth of games.
This is so true. It's so aggravating...he really reminds me of Max with the way he enters the zone and then panics and coughs the puck up...

He has no idea what he's going to do so neither does anyone else...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:45 AM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
I'd rather have him up front because of his speed and stick handling

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
7bucs

He's a guy who likes to hold onto the puck in traffic, this is what happens. I don't mind it. I've liked him since his Owen Sound days, I just like the style, gaffes and all.

He's probably miscast as a top pairing, and probably being exposed by it. I can live with the inconsistency right now, as long as it lessens from year to year. I wouldn't exactly be looking to be deal him, but I'd listen to offers. He's come a long way from being the extra defensman a few years ago....

7bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
I'd rather have him up front because of his speed and stick handling
That doesn't normally work very often. He's more valuable as a top 4 pairing, than as a 3rd or 4th liner.

7bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:21 AM
BloFan4Life

He went to crap when he got paired with Myers. Morrisonn was crap when he was paired with Myers in the beginning of the year. Myers is just so bad defensively he really brings down his partner. Myers never stays back and Sekera is expected to play D on his own something he isn't good at.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
He went to crap when he got paired with Myers. Morrisonn was crap when he was paired with Myers in the beginning of the year. Myers is just so bad defensively he really brings down his partner. Myers never stays back and Sekera is expected to play D on his own something he isn't good at.
Most of this post is untrue.

He and Myers played well together, co-inciding with Tyler's return to form after his initial month slump. Myers is a solid defenseman in his own zone, particularly so for a kid in his second pro season. And he's forced to stay back rather frequently because Sekera also lugs the mail a lot. It isn't "play D on his own" that's a problem, it's things like fumbling the puck under pressure as the play is coming toward him that are trouble. He was doing this stuff well earlier in the year... they need him to get back to that.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Most of this post is untrue.

He and Myers played well together, co-inciding with Tyler's return to form after his initial month slump. Myers is a solid defenseman in his own zone, particularly so for a kid in his second pro season. And he's forced to stay back rather frequently because Sekera also lugs the mail a lot. It isn't "play D on his own" that's a problem, it's things like fumbling the puck under pressure as the play is coming toward him that are trouble. He was doing this stuff well earlier in the year... they need him to get back to that.
They started out well together because Myers wasn't eager to carry the puck because he was making so many turnovers. Myers had to settle down and simplify his game. He was able to concentrate on defense with Sekera taking the puck carrying responsibilities. With Myers back on his game, they both want the puck. That's not good situation. They're getting mixed up about who's supposed to be doing what. They should revisit the original pairing of Morrisonn-Myers. Sekera needs to be with a stay at home type dman. I'd put him with Weber.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
They started out well together because Myers wasn't eager to carry the puck because he was making so many turnovers. Myers had to settle down and simplify his game. He was able to concentrate on defense with Sekera taking the puck carrying responsibilities. With Myers back on his game, they both want the puck. That's not good situation. They're getting mixed up about who's supposed to be doing what. They should revisit the original pairing of Morrisonn-Myers. Sekera needs to be with a stay at home type dman. I'd put him with Weber.
That would work, Weber's been good playing his off-side on the right with Morrisonn on the left and Morrisonn's been much better since about mid-December. Give them both a guy who can stay back.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:28 PM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Sekera turning the puck over less than a minute into the game resulting in St. Louis' best scoring chance of the 1st period could not have made Lindy happy...

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:30 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Definitely count me in for wanting the pairings to be Morrisonn Myers, Sekera Weber, Montador Leopold

thefifagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

I'd pair him with Weber.
They worked well together in the past, and both took steps forward this season.

Like Robitaille said the other night, this is a guy who was their best defenseman for large parts of the season, and it's just a matter of squeezing that little bit extra consistency out of him down the stretch.

He's fighting the puck at the moment, that's obvious...
But at this point, you gotta let him work and play through it unless it gets worse.

(he had a good game vs STL after that early gaffe)

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote