HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins have inquired about Hemsky?

Old
02-20-2011, 08:13 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
You know, maybe his offensive numbers are higher because for a while now, he's been the main offensive option on a poor Edmonton roster?
He'd be one of the main offensive options on almost any roster.

And on most other rosters, he'd have a lot more help. Hemsky's numbers are even more remarkable when you consider that the only decent offensive linemate he's had for most of his career has been Dustin Penner; the best center he's had is Shawn Horcoff.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:14 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
He'd be one of the main offensive options on almost any roster.

And on most other rosters, he'd have a lot more help. Hemsky's numbers are even more remarkable when you consider that the only decent offensive linemate he's had for most of his career has been Dustin Penner; the best center he's had is Shawn Horcoff.
And that's the truth

SaskOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
Tangradi, Despres, and Kennedy are not my idea of huge. If the Pens don't want to give up anything more, then keeping Hemsky is fine by me. Penner too, for that matter

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Omark

That top-six would get torn to shreds next season. Five sophomores. Five!
Four sophomores. Four!

02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Four sophomores. Four!
Gagner needs to get faster and stronger otherwise I don't really see the difference.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Gagner needs to get faster and stronger otherwise I don't really see the difference.
I was just busting your chops. If any of our sophomores slump (bound to happen) we'd have a rough go of it again. That said I don't expect us to be all that competitive next year anyway.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:25 PM
JJM777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
I'd rather keep Hemsky. His value to the organization is worth much more than spare parts.
I'd rather you kept him too as a Pens fan haha

JJM777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Penner+Hemsky (8.3 million)

for

Malkin (8.7 million)

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

At least they are trying. Pens are having trouble sustaining pressure in the offensive zone and seem to have no offensive flare at times right now. They can't seem to score over 3 goals. Hemsky would be an excellent addition for the Pens. But if the Oilers are asking for the farm, then it is not worth it. Rather go after someone with a lesser cap hit and cost less more to acquire, instead of throwing away the future that could be key pieces toward the next couple of seasons rosters with low cap hits. Aside from that, I would be all for the Pens to get him. He'd be awsome with Crosby or Malkin. Probably be are biggest offensive threat right now.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Staal + Despres or 1st not both.
I am an oiler fan, but being relalistic here Hemsky alone would not get Staal, let alone a 1st or Despres.

The pens would be fools to blow their wad this year with Malkin out and Crosby questionable. The only reason they would make a deal would be if they were not trading key players. The pens need Staal to fill in for Malkin this year, so he will not be moved.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:34 PM
SDig14

If there was a way for Shero and the Pens to speak with Hemsky and guage his asking price and likelihood of an extension in Pittsburgh, what would the Oilers need to add to Hemsky to get Staal in the offseason? Doesn't make sense now because of the injuries, but just curious what Pens fans think.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:39 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Penner+Hemsky (8.3 million)

for

Malkin (8.7 million)

Now we're talking!

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I was just busting your chops. If any of our sophomores slump (bound to happen) we'd have a rough go of it again. That said I don't expect us to be all that competitive next year anyway.
I'm already working on the cheesy slogans.

Fall for Forsberg!

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:41 PM
SEALBound

I could get on board with Staal + Tangradi/Desperes + 1st...maybe one of our excess bottom sixers too for Hemsky + Penner

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Now is certainly not the time to trade Staal with Sid and Geno possibly out for the season. Shero has already publicly stated he won't be trading Staal anyway. Kind of pointless to talk about. I do think Edmonton is close to a perfect fit if they do decide to move him. They really could use a center with his size, defense and pk ability.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:11 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
You honestly think Hemsky's in the same category as those three?
No! he can go in a corner with regher! those kittens cannot. They need the league to protect them.

Last edited by oilerbear: 02-20-2011 at 10:56 PM.
oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 10:54 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I'm not sure why you're laughing.

-Petry is posting very similar numbers to Ryan Whitney in the AHL at the same age. 6'3, 200 lbs, and every bit as mobile as Despres. I wouldn't be shocked if they became similar players.

-Blain is producing at an identical pace to Despres, and he's a year younger.

-Marincin is bigger than Despres, a lesser skater but still extremely fast for a player his size, and he's got 50 points in 54 games.

Would Despres automatically become our #1 defense prospect? Sure, but the margin between he and the three above isn't significant- especially Marincin, who had as many points at the WJC despite being younger, and who is arguably the better CHL player.
heck

one year diffrence means alot when it comes to Dmen. not looking at the smurfs less than 6'.

The last five years there have been on average 13/year 6'+ ppg dmen 19 and younger.
there have been 20 18 year old 6'+ ppg dmen in the15 years 1.3333/year. When you see the list you will understand why it is only 1.33333/year

the 20:
Redden
Berrard
Boynton
fisher
hamhuis
Klesla
Bouwmeester
tyutin
Barker
Vlasic
Doughty
Blum
Del Zotto
Bogosian
Carlson
Kulikov
Gormely
Blain
Marincin

we have 2 of the 20 ever 15 years.
Despres 1 of 13/year.
That screams finge career.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
LA could offer a 1st + Forbort + Simmonds. They wouldn't need to deal their top 2 prospects (Bernier and Schenn), they get a 1st liner to play with Kopitar and Brown perhaps, and the package is better for the Oilers long-term. I think Simmonds has a little higher upside than Kennedy, their pick should be higher b/c there is a chance LA could miss the playoffs in the tight West, and Forbort has a ton of tools (tough to value vs. Depres b/c he has 1 less year of development).

Similarly, maybe Washington offers Alzner + 1st or a guy like Cody Eakin. Alzner is a piece they may need long-term, but they will still have Green, Carlson, Orlov, and others in their system. He is also 22 years old, played in Alberta for 4 years already, and could be a great piece for our rebuild on the backend and is a little more certain than Depres.
Quote:
I'm already working on the cheesy slogans.

Fall for Forsberg!
Another two teams' top-four two-way prospect, gritty bottom-sixer and high first.

Hemsky is about a PPG player, 27 years old, with another year on his contract after this one, and one that's only at 4 million, about at least a million below his real value.

Guys like Alzner, Despres, Goligoski, Forbort, etc.. may be a bit better than the Oiler's own, but the difference between them is not Hemsky. Edmonton even does need another solid bottom-six winger to go along with Jones, but, do you deal top-line players to improve your bottom-six?? Do you? A first barely compensates for the inferior value.

As I said, a guy like Staal, for example, is especially more valuable to Pittsburgh right now even, with Crosby and Malkin out, not to mention with those two guys healthy, but to a team like L.A. it's really a matter of priorities. You either try to trade for and extend a guy like Hemsky, and you have that much more of a competitive team right now, or you bank on a guy like Schenn becoming that Richards type player he projects to be.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:14 AM
stardog

Quote:
Who cares?

If the Oilers don't get an asset that actually fits their needs, there's no need to make a deal at all.

The Kings are in essentially an 8-way tie for the final 4 playoff spots in the West. If they feel some pressure to lock up one of those spots, maybe they'll deal some "future" for some "now". Or maybe they'll run with what they've got. It'll be an interesting couple of days.

None of that is a reason why the Oilers ought to move their best trading chip for a collection of mediocre assets.
Which assets exactly do you keep calling mediocre?

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:27 AM
stardog

Quote:
Kennedy? You can sign quality veteran 3rd line players every summer. You don't need to trade big assets for them.

Despres? Is there anything to distinguish Despres from guys like Petry, Chorney, Plante, Marincin, Blain, etc? Not really.

The Penguins 1st? Right now that would be the 27th pick. Is that really that much to get excited about when we've already got the 31st or 32nd pick? Teams draft lists differ so much by the time you're out of the 1st half of the first round that the player they'd pick at 27 might easily still be there at 31 anyway.

All of this stuff might be useful, but none of it is anything the Oilers need to acquire to move forward. It's just stuff we already have or would be easy to get. You don't move your best assets for stuff you already have or could get easily some other way.
That answered my previous post.
TK, I can see you saying it would be easy to aquire, but I mean come on bro. If getting a guy like Depres or a first rounder would be "easy to get" then every team would do it all the time.

I understand that you may want more or think that Hemskey is worth more, but dont be so flippant and dismissive. A first rounder is NOT mediocre in this league (especially for a rebuilding team) regardless of where it is. It has value. As does Depres, a player who was on Canada's WJC team is hardly what ANYONE would consider mediocre, nor an easily obtainable asset. Combine the two, and to call them "mediocre" is simply ludicrous and blind beyond belief.

Again, Hemskey may be worth more than that in your eyes, which is fine. But you can say that without diminishing the value coming the other way when you are clearly wrong by saying it is mediocre or easy to get...sheesh

Old
02-21-2011, 03:44 AM
ProdigalOne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
I'd rather keep Hemsky. His value to the organization is worth much more than spare parts.
Despres will be worth more than Hemsky in 2-3 years.. projects as an Ryan Whitney part 2 perhaps? Bit less offense bit better defense hopefully.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:50 AM
0123456789*

There is something people are not thinking about.

#1)Jagr once again has stated his intention to return to the NHL next year.
#2)Jagr has maintained since he left that he wants to play with Hemsky, infact he hasnt even entertained offers from other teams but the Oilers(according to him because he wants to play with Hemsky)
#3)Jagr and Lemieux have in the past indicated a willingness to look in to the possibility of a return for Jagr to the Pens.

#bonus)Cervenka assuming he has a NHL out clause has gelled well with Jagr and it would not be out of the question that he might follow him to the NHL. Certainly it would be good for him, good for Jagr, and especially good for the team.

I could care less about the Pens but if they are seriously looking in to getting Hemsky then I honestly think Jagr somehow ties in to the future plans for the Pens(for next year).

Oh and obviously im sure Jagr would enjoy a opportunity to play with one of the top young player in the game at the end of his career in Crosby.

*Keep in mind Jagr has played very well this year, and even better then his KHL stats show(which are good). He has stated he feels in better shape then when he left the NHL and he has looked very good on the ice, and his game is much more suited for the NHL then the KHL.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:58 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ementy View Post
Maybe I was a touch too hard,

Annnnnnnnd sorry I was a bit harsh

Again, you are missing the main POINT, which I am now actually questioning your mentality, no matter who you cheer for, YOU ARE OVERVALUING PITTSBURGHS MEDIOCRE ASSETS, AND UNDERSELLING THE OILERS BEST ASSET HEMSKY.

USE YOUR BRAIN.
Ahhh the irony.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I like Hemsky a lot, but he misses too many games for me to be OK with the return that is likely required, more so in a situation where we're short of Malkin for the season and with Crosby up in the air. Hemsky having just one more year on his contract before UFA is another reason not to pay out big.

We don't need a 'star' added anyway, just a good player or two.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalOne View Post
Despres will be worth more than Hemsky in 2-3 years.. projects as an Ryan Whitney part 2 perhaps? Bit less offense bit better defense hopefully.
I wouldn't go that far. I do think he's a bit downplayed in this thread though. I watched him in the preseason and he looked close to NHL ready. He's 6'4 and very mobile. He moved the puck fantastic and got pucks to the net. He may have made a lesser NHL team with a worse defense. He probably needs to put on a little more weight and work on his shot some before he really comes into his own, but this kid has a lot of talent to work with. He'd be a great asset for any organization that has him. I also think he'd fit both Edmonton or Pittsburgh's systems very well.

I can understand Edmonton's hesitation with moving Hemsky. It's not an easy decision. Pens really couldn't offer more than a 1st, Despres and a role player like Kennedy though. That's a steep price for the Pens, especially when you consider Hemsky may only be there for a year and a half. He could have injury problems while he's there like he's had in the past or he could light it up with Crosby and Malkin next year then bolt for UFA and get 5 or 6 million a year, which the Pens could never afford. A lot of risk involved for both teams.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm an Oilers fan, I'm a Staal fan, I was a fan of Hemsky for Staal last summer working for both teams but not a chance in HELL it would be for Staal at this point and time! No Sid, no Geno, the Pens are insanely deep down the middle but not when those 2 are both out.

I've said it before and I will say it again it shouldn't be Staal that eventually gets moved it should be Malkin because of the return. Staal is a GREAT all around player and if ever gets a winger or 2 to play with he will be even that much better. Sid is Sid. I understand completely why Pens fans would never want to deal Malkin but the return I'm guessing would be disgustingly great and you move Staal to the 2nd line, Dustin Jeffery to the 3rd, Letestu on the 4th (assuming they don't re-up Talbot which they easily could do), that's pretty sick.

But back to Hemsky, I don't know if the Pens could put a deal together for him. The Oil don't have to do anything with him right now. I do think somebody (hello Dean Lombardi) will knock his socks off in the end and make a deal for him, but Tambellini can just sit there. Like it or not Hemsky is likely going to be the top forward available this deadline. If the Stars don't win a game this week and Richards gets healthy then maybe they deal him but that's the only chance. Gaborik is out with a concussion now and his ticket is insane at 7.5 and a lot of years left. Hemsky has a good contract and it's 1 more year...not too long, but more inticing then a UFA. When he's on (like in his last 3 games) he's an elite player. But he's a bit inconsistant and injury prone.

Tambellini will want a guy like Schenn from LA, like Ekman-Larsson from Phoenix, like Bogosian from Atlanta (not saying he will get any of these guys but that's the kind of home run he will try to hit) and Pittsburgh doesn't have a guy like that they can afford to move. Could he end up taking a 2 or 3 piece package? Yeah I could see it happening but IMO it doesn't make sense for the Oil. They are loaded with prospects, but they don't have that number 1 center or number 1 d-man. If I'm Tambellini I'm willing to add to Hemsky to get a deal done for one of the 3 guys I mentioned or a player like them.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote