HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Trade Deadline Thread II (All General Deadline Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
THANK GOD I'm not a Stars or Avalanche fan this week. My friend in Colorado called me yesterday in an almost panic hoping I would explain the moves the Avalanche made this week and make him feel better. Needless to say, I wasn't very comforting.

A famous GM said recently that any team looking to make major roster moves around the deadline is hiding deeper troubles, and I feel that's been the case with alot of the teams making moves thus far. It speaks to the direction we're moving in that we've stood pat thus far, though I do see us possibly making some minor moves leading into the deadline.

This team has showed excellent chemistry over the last little while, there's no sense moving a major part or a young player at this point. We'll either be a playoff team or we won't - our draft position will be generally in the same area reguardless of which side of that line we wind up on, so we may as well make a push without shipping out any major assets.

If we can move Commodore or Filatov and get a piece that will help us now and in the future, I'd like that. Otherwise, let's see what we have leading into next year - maybe Ryan Johansen, John Moore, and a couple of other youngsters with a strong shot at making the team will help us get over the hump. Or, maybe if we don't quite have what it takes, a coy free agent signing or trade in the offseason gets us there.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
EJHradek_ESPN EJ Hradek
4 most of the season, I've felt the Stars wouldn't move UFA Brad Richards. That feeling is changing. I now think he goes 2 highest bidder.
Interesting, wonder what kind of return they might get.

Filatov
1st 2011
1st 2012 (conditional on re-sign)

Old
02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Interesting, wonder what kind of return they might get.

Brassard/Vermette
Filatov
1st 2011
1st 2012 (conditional on re-sign)
fixed b/c it'll probably take AT LEAST that

Old
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
For us, or the NHL at large? Because it looks like Howson may himself sleep straight through it.
For us.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
squarelaces

Quote:
Huh? We put him on waivers. We put him on re-entry waivers. The only way we get rid of Commodore is if we do something dumb like try and trade him for Souray (bad contract for bad contract). And I have my doubts if that is even an option or Howson would have done it by now.

Nope, Commie is going to be bought out this summer or Howson's going to bite the bullet and bury him in the minors until his contract is over. The only hope is that Commie's pride and some sort of overseas offer prompt him to head to Russia/Sweden/Siberia..
Can't he be bought out NOW at a net savings? What do we need him for, as a emergency callup?

Old
02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
Can't he be bought out NOW at a net savings? What do we need him for, as a emergency callup?
If I remember correctly, there bees a window for these type of things...

Old
02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

however...if the LOAFS get JM Liles and we don't....i'm going on a serious rant.....

Old
02-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
fixed b/c it'll probably take AT LEAST that
Forget it then. Eventually Johan is going to be the number 1 center. Richards gets in the way of that and costs us a major part of our future.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Is there anybody who actually thinks that giving away 3/5 of our best future pieces for 20 games of Brad Richards is a good idea?

02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If I remember correctly, there bees a window for these type of things...
Yup.

From a philosophical standpoint you can't allow in season buyouts or wealthy teams would do it all the time to circumvent the cap. Of course there is a big issue with the AHL loophole that, in my view, should be fixed in the next CBA.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Forget it then. Eventually Johan is going to be the number 1 center. Richards gets in the way of that and costs us a major part of our future.
Which is better?

Richards
Johansen
Vermette

or

Brassard
Johansen
Vermette

Old
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Is there anybody who actually thinks that giving away 3/5 of our best future pieces for 20 games of Brad Richards is a good idea?
For 20 games? Of course not. If he signed an extension or the picks had conditions based on him signing with us? YES!

Old
02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
For 20 games? Of course not. If he signed an extension or the picks had conditions based on him signing with us? YES!
The odds of knowing that prior to making the trade are ridiculously small. And given that Richards is a lock to sign a contract that'll be one of the 10 richest in NHL history, he'd be a fool to sign an extension at this point.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
The only piece in the hypothetical above that gives me pause is Brassard/Vermette. The rest seems a reasonable roll of the dice in the hopes of signing him to an extension.

Isn't Modin in ATL? Wonder if they'd take a chance on Richards...

Old
02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
I doubt it will even come to that, as what I've read is that Richards only has about 3-4 teams on his list that he would accept a trade to, and Columbus isn't one of them (Tampa and Carolina are two of them, IIRC; Toronto is not on that list). Howson can put together the most attractive deal of them all but it won't mean jack **** in the end because Richards wants nothing to do with us.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Agreed Samkow. Plus this year's pick is going to be a pretty good one and next year's draft is ridiculously rich with dmen. We'll keep the picks and Brass for future years instead of 20 games of Brad Richards. Plus he just had a concussion..

Old
02-21-2011, 07:46 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Agreed Samkow. Plus this year's pick is going to be a pretty good one and next year's draft is ridiculously rich with dmen. We'll keep the picks and Brass for future years instead of 20 games of Brad Richards. Plus he just had a concussion..
This year's pick is a joke. Playoffs or not it won't be high enough to provide any help to us for 2-3 years. And, if we are actually drafting high enough next year that you are concerned about it, we'd best have a new GM by then.

How long do you people want to wait for the future to finally arrive?

Old
02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
This year's pick is a joke. Playoffs or not it won't be high enough to provide any help to us for 2-3 years. And, if we are actually drafting high enough next year that you are concerned about it, we'd best have a new GM by then.

How long do you people want to wait for the future to finally arrive?
Disagree. This year's pick could very well help now. Their are plenty of forwards in the draft that could be ready. The only thing about next year's draft is that its deep. No need to assume I'm hoping for the Jackets to get a top 10 pick.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is clamoring for a bottom pairing defenseman with 6 points. Niskanen has really not been good since his sophomore season.
Wow that surprises me he has only 6 pts this season. Last season he looked like a top 4 defensemen who I believe was still low to mid 20s. Maybe he has fallen off. I don't know what kind of roll he has played this season.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:54 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Disagree. This year's pick could very well help now. Their are plenty of forwards in the draft that could be ready. The only thing about next year's draft is that its deep. No need to assume I'm hoping for the Jackets to get a top 10 pick.
If we are going to try to be a playoff team, those NHL-ready picks that you think are available are irrelevant.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I doubt it will even come to that, as what I've read is that Richards only has about 3-4 teams on his list that he would accept a trade to, and Columbus isn't one of them (Tampa and Carolina are two of them, IIRC; Toronto is not on that list). Howson can put together the most attractive deal of them all but it won't mean jack **** in the end because Richards wants nothing to do with us.
Curious where you heard this?

Old
02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
you keep exclaiming this draft is deep, but the experts and teams that are trading their firsts like nothing say exactly the opposite...

Old
02-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
Curious where you heard this?
there's a thread about it on the mains

Old
02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Actually a few years ago when he was traded to Dallas, we were one of he teams reportedly, for which he would waive his NTC. Reportedly, the deal was to go through if we added one of either LeClaire or Norenna, and that allegedly a deal breaker. And we were in a worse situation then in regards to making the playoffs than we are now.

Richards is getting older; he'll probably be looking for 1: a retirement contract, d.h. his last contract, which would be fairly lengthy. 2: A place where he can raise kids.

Those are just my guesses. Richards is not a 26 year-old Ilya Kovalchuk. He's still going to get a decent contract, but if the teams, and areas, for which, and in which, he wants to play, can't afford to pay him 8 mil a year for 8 years, look for him to sign at a discount.

Whether Columbus is one of his desired destinations or not, he's going to go where he wants, and he'll come down in terms of money if none of those teams are able to pay him what he'd get otherwise.

One thing I can almost guarantee: He's not going to play in Tampa. With Vinny's contract and the play of Stamkos, Richards is redundant on that roster and an unneeded expense.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Richards wants to be traded to a playoff team. So it makes sense.

next topic?

Closed Thread