HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Trade Deadline Thread II (All General Deadline Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Doug19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
you keep exclaiming this draft is deep, but the experts and teams that are trading their firsts like nothing say exactly the opposite...
Not to mention the fact that picking a forward, or any player that matter in the 10-15 range will rarely result in a player ready to make a positive impact. If Moore and Johansen, two players that had outstanding camps and preseasons in there first NHL tryouts couldn't make the team, what makes you think anything from the up-coming draft is going to be ready.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Richards wants to be traded to a playoff team. So it makes sense.

next topic?
Dallas-Pittsburgh? It just makes me curious if who we're going to go after, if anyone, since Goligoski has been traded. Makes me wonder if we were in contention for him.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Matt Foley
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
Actually a few years ago when he was traded to Dallas, we were one of he teams reportedly, for which he would waive his NTC. Reportedly, the deal was to go through if we added one of either LeClaire or Norenna, and that allegedly a deal breaker. And we were in a worse situation then in regards to making the playoffs than we are now.

Richards is getting older; he'll probably be looking for 1: a retirement contract, d.h. his last contract, which would be fairly lengthy. 2: A place where he can raise kids.

Those are just my guesses. Richards is not a 26 year-old Ilya Kovalchuk. He's still going to get a decent contract, but if the teams, and areas, for which, and in which, he wants to play, can't afford to pay him 8 mil a year for 8 years, look for him to sign at a discount.

Whether Columbus is one of his desired destinations or not, he's going to go where he wants, and he'll come down in terms of money if none of those teams are able to pay him what he'd get otherwise.

One thing I can almost guarantee: He's not going to play in Tampa. With Vinny's contract and the play of Stamkos, Richards is redundant on that roster and an unneeded expense.
Let's just say this; I'd be more than glad to be wrong on this. In fact, I'd be ecstatic to be wrong.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Not to mention the fact that picking a forward, or any player that matter in the 10-15 range will rarely result in a player ready to make a positive impact. If Moore and Johansen, two players that had outstanding camps and preseasons in there first NHL tryouts couldn't make the team, what makes you think anything from the up-coming draft is going to be ready.
Not to mention that Johan won't be ready next year, and should spend a year in the AHL, and Moore failed to impress with his stint here. If we pick someone up via trade of FA, that gives us one spot on our D-corps to fill, (depending on who we trade, if anyone), and from what I saw this season, I would give Holden the edge over Moore. But that's just my two Kopecks.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

is johan even eligible for AHL next year?

Old
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
is johan even eligible for AHL next year?
No, he's too young

Old
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
you keep exclaiming this draft is deep, but the experts and teams that are trading their firsts like nothing say exactly the opposite...
Tell me the "experts" that are saying its a weak draft. Its very top heavy. Were in the top half. No point in trading the pick if its not something better coming back.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
No, he's too young
that's what i thought...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Tell me the "experts" that are saying its a weak draft. Its very top heavy. Were in the top half. No point in trading the pick if its not something better coming back.
namely the TSN guys to start with...

Old
02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
A few experts have shown they view this draft to be thin. Some names of the experts:

Paul Holmgren
Peter Chiarelli
David Poile

These are some of the most expert "experts" in the hockey world, far more respected than anyone on TSN.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
A few experts have shown they view this draft to be thin. Some names of the experts:

Paul Holmgren
Peter Chiarelli
David Poile

These are some of the most expert "experts" in the hockey world, far more respected than anyone on TSN.
Maybe they just liked the players they got more than the picks?? I wouldn't indicate those trades as a reason why the draft is weak. If a bottom 10 team does trade a pick, then I'll listen. The top 5 is pretty good, the dropoff seems to be after that, where the next dropoff is, I don't konw.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
No, he's too young
That's my mistake. I wasn't sure how old he was. My point however remains in the fact that he shouldn't be playing here next year.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
That's my mistake. I wasn't sure how old he was. My point however remains in the fact that he shouldn't be playing here next year.
no worries...i wasn't exactly sure...

Old
02-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Is Richards even going to play again this year? I thought he had PCS

Old
02-21-2011, 08:05 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
There's isn't a Sidney Crosby type player, but there's quality players. But it may not be as top heavy as everyone predicts and teams may be fine dropping down.

Quote:
NHL Central Scouting Director E.J. McGuire:

"I would say at this point, with the number of viewings our scouts have had, as many as eight players could be taken first," McGuire told NHL.com. "The depth goes right through this draft. A cynic or somebody who's characterizing this as a non-Sidney Crosby draft year only needs to know that whoever emerges in April at No. 5 on our list (Central Scouting's final rankings), and in St. Paul as the No. 5 pick, could eventually be a better NHL player than No. 1. That said, this isn't a Crosby draft year."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548948
Also, from Gare Joyce who has been talking to NHL scouts:

Quote:
There's a drop after No. 4 but not a severe one. The next 8-10 players are fairly interchangeable and some have an overlap in skill set.

Another positional theme: Last year we saw the draft skew to offense, which was a major factor in D Cam Fowler dropping out of the top 10 after being projected as one of the top two players in the draft class in the fall of 2009. Scouts figure that the run on offense is going to continue. Thus a B-plus forward is likely to outstrip not only a defenseman of the same grade but quite possibly an A-minus blueliner.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insid...3dNHLMockDraft
If teams are looking to draft defense, they may not care about being in the top 10.

Also, it's possible teams will have drastically different takes on players and a player who's in the top 5 on one list will be considerably lower on others' lists.

Compare Gabriel Landeskog, who left Djurgården to play in the OHL, to Mika Zibanejad (who's playing limited minutes on Djurgården's 3rd and 4th line against grown men).

Landeskog is putting up big numbers in the OHL, scouts get to see him all the time, hear his coaches rave about how great of a leader he is and see how well he can play the North American game.

Had Landeskog stayed in Sweden, he'd be slumming it on the 4th line for Djurgården and no one would be talking about him as a top 3 pick.

Meanwhile, Zibanejad's back in Stockholm putting up decent numbers with his limited ice time and could be one of the most dynamic players DIF has ever produced. I've seen DIF fans comparing him to Mats Sundin. I think that's a little much, but if Zibanejad was in the OHL, he would likely be getting consideration as a top 3 picks.

My impression is that there's a lot of players like this in the draft - there's teams that are going to spend the time scouting them and be incredibly high on them, and others that aren't.

So, teams may be willing to trade down in the hopes the guy they want is available lower. Or trade away their pick and then try to trade their way back in if a player they have rated high drops.

Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 02-21-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old
02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

ok...there's a lot of mediocre talent is what i just read...so thus I'm more than willing to send the 1st rounder off for someone that helps us now

Old
02-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Maybe they just liked the players they got more than the picks?? I wouldn't indicate those trades as a reason why the draft is weak. If a bottom 10 team does trade a pick, then I'll listen. The top 5 is pretty good, the dropoff seems to be after that, where the next dropoff is, I don't konw.
Very true. Late round draft picks hardly ever pan out in any draft. No one is trading top 15 draft picks. Their always are going to be good players there. Theirs good players after that too but I guess the demand for players really has gone up....as shown by the Goligoski deal.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Crede777
Deputized

This draft doesn't have any superstars it looks like. Could be wrong, you never know for sure, but many analysts have said as much. I'm of the opinion that we should hang onto our 1st and draft a defenseman.

I'd want one of Larsson / Murphy / Hamilton / Siemens in that order.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1359
Quote:
ok...there's a lot of mediocre talent is what i just read...so thus I'm more than willing to send the 1st rounder off for someone that helps us now
That is my understanding as well. I would rather send the #1 to get a player that will help us now,instead of waiting on a player who may or may not make it. This draft seems to be more of a crap shoot.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
This draft doesn't have any superstars it looks like. Could be wrong, you never know for sure, but many analysts have said as much.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins looks like a special player to me, I'm not sure why, he just reminds me of Kane. That's just a gut feeling.

On a seperate note, I think it's going to be a very quiet deadline for our Jackets, the market has been set for the kind of defenseman that we need, and the price is just too high. Erik Johnson and Gologoski were both acquired for premier young power forwards, and in EJ's case, a young power foward plus the next Golo in Kevin Shattenkirk. Strong donotwant.

Old
02-21-2011, 09:33 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Look at it this way, a year ago in an active trade market there were no 1st round draft picks traded, while this year 1st round picks are being thrown around like confetti. Maybe this yeat's players are better. Maybe a guy like Kaberle, who only attracted a second round offer one year ago, when Burke's best offer was from the Sharks.

Old
02-21-2011, 09:36 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Is there anybody who actually thinks that giving away 3/5 of our best future pieces for 20 games of Brad Richards is a good idea?
i'd be hesitant to give up any of them.. if we could get him for filatov/other prospect(s)/picks.. do it. if we would need to get rid of a johansen or brassard or voracek then it's not worth it.

and as everyone knows, i am the biggest richards fan around here.

Old
02-21-2011, 09:38 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins looks like a special player to me, I'm not sure why, he just reminds me of Kane. That's just a gut feeling.

On a seperate note, I think it's going to be a very quiet deadline for our Jackets, the market has been set for the kind of defenseman that we need, and the price is just too high. Erik Johnson and Gologoski were both acquired for premier young power forwards, and in EJ's case, a young power foward plus the next Golo in Kevin Shattenkirk. Strong donotwant.
I agree about the deadline. I wish Howson had pulled the trigger on Wiz in December. His best shot nowis to capitalize on the market and get a scoring forward for Rusty. They may have to bring.up Holden to get a guy who can move the puck a bit.

Old
02-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
and as everyone knows, i am the biggest richards fan around here.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:12 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not to mention that Johan won't be ready next year, and should spend a year in the AHL, and Moore failed to impress with his stint here. If we pick someone up via trade of FA, that gives us one spot on our D-corps to fill, (depending on who we trade, if anyone), and from what I saw this season, I would give Holden the edge over Moore. But that's just my two Kopecks.
I wouldn't necessarily write off Johansen next year. I suspect he will get a strong look, perhaps being more in a situation of playing out of a spot than playing into one. He looked like he belonged out there this past preseason. It's not unusual that Moore doesn't quite look ready, since D men usually have to cook a little longer...

I honestly don't see Johansen ever playing in the A for an extended period...we'll see though. Maybe Richards can tutor him

Old
02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Yeah, I was gonna say, you've been churning that wheel since the deadline in 08 I think is when it was.

Closed Thread