HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #61 vs. Philadelphia Flyers

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #61 vs. Philadelphia Flyers
Ryan Callahan 2 2.27%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 2.27%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Henrik Lundqvist 2 2.27%
Ryan McDonagh 32 36.36%
Michael Sauer 0 0%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Derek Stepan 32 36.36%
Wojtek Wolski 7 7.95%
Mats Zuccarello 5 5.68%
Other 6 6.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2011, 07:23 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm about done waiting for "a few more years."
I can definitely understand that. I wasn't really aiming at anybody with that point, just stating it.
Quote:
We were a playoff team as recently as a few years ago. A playoff team that integrated youth into the lineup and remained competitive. Now we're a non-playoff team that integrates youth into the lineup and is wildly inconsistent. It's great that the future is supposedly bright and all, but that's not doing anything for me now. I've been hearing about the bright future for a long time. Haven't seen it yet...not even close. I've seen regression.
We've also seen drastic lineup changes. With all the roster turnovers the Rangers have had in the past few years, the playoff finishes they've had have been impressive. The last few years have been bad, but think about it: we've had Drury and Rozsival regress drastically, we've had our only legitimate top-6 center, albeit a majorly overpaid one, traded. We've lost key offensive players such as Jagr, Nylander, and Straka, despite their age. The younger players have been handed the reins. And to be honest, they haven't done all too bad. It's a learning process, and, I know you and some other might be fed up and tired of waiting, but I'm content with being patient. To each is own I guess.

Quote:
And please, BB, I love you man, but do not tell people to calm down. I've been watching this sorry franchise for entirely too long to just calm down, look at the big picture, and wait for the future to develop. It's ********. I've heard it all before. That's wonderful that you can remain calm and levelheaded with this team, but I can't any longer. I don't think that's unreasonable, either.
It's just a blank statement I make after every loss; it doesn't mean anything. I'm just hoping it'll stop the awful trade proposals.

I don't think it's unreasonable myself, I'm not going to tell people that their opinions are wrong. But we'll have to agree to disagree on the "patience" thing, which is actually pretty funny, considering I'm mostly incredibly impatient with a lot of everything else.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
I'm about done waiting for "a few more years."

We were a playoff team as recently as a few years ago. A playoff team that integrated youth into the lineup and remained competitive. Now we're a non-playoff team that integrates youth into the lineup and is wildly inconsistent. It's great that the future is supposedly bright and all, but that's not doing anything for me now. I've been hearing about the bright future for a long time. Haven't seen it yet...not even close. I've seen regression.

And please, BB, I love you man, but do not tell people to calm down. I've been watching this sorry franchise for entirely too long to just calm down, look at the big picture, and wait for the future to develop. It's ********. I've heard it all before. That's wonderful that you can remain calm and levelheaded with this team, but I can't any longer. I don't think that's unreasonable, either.
We were a playoff team because we had one of the best NHL players in recent history clicking with players who complemented him.

We were a playoff team off Jagr and Hank's back. The fact is, Jagr's 123 points were able to carry us into the playoffs while Gabs 80-whatever couldn't.

I see a team much better constructed this year- put Jagr on the team we have now and i'd be happy. Gaborik not slumping, too, would make me happy.

I don't see how you see regression, but different strokes for different folks. Nobody would fault you for snapping and going on a rampage, but I don't like how some guys (not you, specifically) fault some of us for remaining optimistic about the team's future.

Like I said in the other thread, if we're going to succeed it's in spite of our horrendous management all these years, and if Sather can pull his head out of ass just one summer i'll be happy.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Our "young" playoff team was actually quite old.

The crew of Jagr, Straka, Nylander, Rozsival, Malik, Sykora, Rucinsky, Shanahan, these were the main guys on the team. Then we started the youth infusion with Cally, Dubi, Staa, the first generation guys.

I think we made the right move. Those guys werent getting any younger.

02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
XLJ

Our best line was Wolski-Stepan-Zuc. They play well together. I dont get why Torts broke them up to begin with. I mean come on he had Stepan playing LW against the devils.

If they collapse and dont make the playoffs for the 2nd straight year it will be interesting to see if Torts survives. Maybe he bought himself some extra time with all the "youth movement" talk.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We were a playoff team because we had one of the best NHL players in recent history clicking with players who complemented him.

We were a playoff team off Jagr and Hank's back. The fact is, Jagr's 123 points were able to carry us into the playoffs while Gabs 80-whatever couldn't.
So Jagr had 123 points for like 4 straight years, right?

What about 2007-2008, when he had 71 points, and we finished 5th in the East with the 4th most points? What about the next year, when Jagr wasn't around, our team's leading scorers were Scott Gomez and Nik Zherdev, and we finished 7th?

Quote:
I see a team much better constructed this year- put Jagr on the team we have now and i'd be happy. Gaborik not slumping, too, would make me happy.
So we're better constructed but with lesser results. A solid foundation, proper roster construction, etc... Those things are all wonderful, but if they're not leading to wins, who cares?

Quote:
I don't see how you see regression, but different strokes for different folks. Nobody would fault you for snapping and going on a rampage, but I don't like how some guys (not you, specifically) fault some of us for remaining optimistic about the team's future.

Like I said in the other thread, if we're going to succeed it's in spite of our horrendous management all these years, and if Sather can pull his head out of ass just one summer i'll be happy.
The future should be brighter. But today should have been brighter, according to what we were told yesterday. Until something actually happens, I can no longer be optimistic.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:44 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
What about 2007-2008, when he had 71 points, and we finished 5th in the East with the 4th most points? What about the next year, when Jagr wasn't around, our team's leading scorers were Scott Gomez and Nik Zherdev, and we finished 7th?
We made the playoffs in 08-09 by going on a hot streak right at the end of the season. IIRC, We were only a a win (or maybe even less) infront of the 8th and 9th team. 07-08 i'll give you, but Jagr was still a dangerous player and the team was still gelling with him. 06-07 he had 90~ points, and once again we were not comfortably in the playoffs, I believe. I think maybe 2~ points away from elimination. 05-06 was the 123 point season and also a very strange season all around.

Quote:
So we're better constructed but with lesser results. A solid foundation, proper roster construction, etc... Those things are all wonderful, but if they're not leading to wins, who cares?
They're not leading to wins because right now, we're missing a Jagr. Before, we were missing this. The Jagr of 05-08 would make this team a lethal team. We're also still very possibly a playoff team, it's not like we're sitting at 11th and the other teams infront of us are doing much better. Everyone around us, sans NJ, has been doing horribly too.

Quote:
The future should be brighter. But today should have been brighter, according to what we were told yesterday. Until something actually happens, I can no longer be optimistic.
Don't get what you're saying here, because we played a decent game against the best team in the NHL and lost. Not sure what you want me to say here, because it would've been an upset if we won. Unless you're being sarcastic . I can't fault you for not being optimistic, but people who aren't don't have to scoff at those of us who see bright spots for the future.

edit- I just checked. Right now we're 6 points from not being a playoff team. Better than our finishes in 08-09 and 06-07. Obviously the seasons not over yet, but it seems to me people feel like we're 13th in the conference.

We're still a playoff team, for better or for worse.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 02-20-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old
02-20-2011, 07:51 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:

It's easy to complain when you live in a Rangers bubble. There is an entire collective of other teams out there who have also improved and much more quickly than the Rangers have.

Flyers, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Bruins, etc.

The only thing you can do is be patient as a fan, you have zero control over what goes on out there. And to fire Tortorella is not a realistic or feasible option for Glen Sather right now. If the team misses the playoffs that won't change -- in all likelihood he will be the coach for another 2-3 seasons.

And ultimately yes it does come down to talent and team construction which is ultimately Sathers job. He has done a decent job lately, but you'd be hard pressed to find a Rangers fan outside of genericusername that thinks Sather has been more positive than negative.

This team STILL after all of Sathers tenure lacks a legitimate top line talent that has been developed within the organization. Until that changes the Rangers shall remain mediocre -- look at Tampa Bay as an example. They have Vinny, Stamkos, St Louis, and Hedman as a core. What is our core in comparison, Lundqvist, Staal, and Callahan? I mean come on. This Rangers squad is not going to compete with that.

So BB is right, the only recourse IS to calm down and be patient. No amount of raging is going to change the future fast enough to make a difference.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Don't get what you're saying here, because we played a decent game against the best team in the NHL and lost. Not sure what you want me to say here, because it would've been an upset if we won. Unless you're being sarcastic . I can't fault you for not being optimistic, but people who aren't don't have to scoff at those of us who see bright spots for the future.
What I'm saying is that 4 years ago, we all had "the future" pegged as brighter. Can we consider today "the future?" I think so.

Four years ago, Montoya was going to be an awesome goalie. Might have a goalie controversy! Nigel Dawes was going to be a speedy 30 goal guy. Petr Prucha was our next excellent European winger. Korpikoski was going to be a terrific, two-way, 20-goal player. Coupled with Callahan, Dubinsky and Staal, we were going to be very good in three or four years!

And now, three or four years later is here...

Old
02-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Dorado*

Nylander put up 83 and 79 pts playing with JJ don't forget .we could use a playmaker like him and come the end of the season JJ could put a team on his back . Very few players like that in the league . Why they are called Hall of Famers which JJ will be asap

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
What I'm saying is that 4 years ago, we all had "the future" pegged as brighter. Can we consider today "the future?" I think so.

Four years ago, Montoya was going to be an awesome goalie. Might have a goalie controversy! Nigel Dawes was going to be a speedy 30 goal guy. Petr Prucha was our next excellent European winger. Korpikoski was going to be a terrific, two-way, 20-goal player. Coupled with Callahan, Dubinsky and Staal, we were going to be very good in three or four years!

...and we have a great supporting cast missing its elite talent.

Which is the problem. That we ALL acknowledge. But you can't argue those who have stuck are leagues better than the Montoyas, Dawes, and Korpikosi's of our past.

Old
02-20-2011, 08:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
It's easy to complain when you live in a Rangers bubble. There is an entire collective of other teams out there who have also improved and much more quickly than the Rangers have.
I'm far from in a Rangers bubble. I watch the Kings and Ducks more than I do the Rangers at this point. I'm a global moderator at HF--I read and post on other team's boards all the time. I think I'm pretty familiar with NHL life outside the Rangers.

Quote:
Flyers, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Bruins, etc.

The only thing you can do is be patient as a fan, you have zero control over what goes on out there. And to fire Tortorella is not a realistic or feasible option for Glen Sather right now. If the team misses the playoffs that won't change -- in all likelihood he will be the coach for another 2-3 seasons.
June 14th, 1994 was the greatest sports day of my life. For the past 17 years, I have been patient.

You're right, I have no control over what goes on. So I should just sit back and be quiet, right? I mean, no sense complaining about anything on a message board, since it has no impact on real life. Right?

Quote:
So BB is right, the only recourse IS to calm down and be patient. No amount of raging is going to change the future fast enough to make a difference.
Sitting back and being patient is hardly a recourse. And it accomplishes the same thing as me being angry--nothing at all. So, what's the difference? You guys be calm, I'll be angry.

Old
02-20-2011, 08:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Which is the problem. That we ALL acknowledge. But you can't argue those who have stuck are leagues better than the Montoyas, Dawes, and Korpikosi's of our past.
They sure are.

Will the Kreider's, Thomas's and McIlrath's be better? Will Brad Richards, or the next big UFA that will push us over the top be better than Gomez, Drury and Redden? I see that many here are completely confident that the answers to those questions will be yes.

I am not. Not with Sather making moves, not with Torts coaching the team.

Old
02-20-2011, 08:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
They sure are.

Will the Kreider's, Thomas's and McIlrath's be better? Will Brad Richards, or the next big UFA that will push us over the top be better than Gomez, Drury and Redden? I see that many here are completely confident that the answers to those questions will be yes.

I am not. Not with Sather making moves, not with Torts coaching the team.

Once again, I don't think you can compare Gomez, Drury and Redden with Richards. Like I said when debating with SBOB, I agree with you i'm not comfortable with Sather making these moves. That's why we're on this forum, to talk about the future of this team. I think IF Sather does this, or that, we'll be contenders. Obviously, he can surprise us all and set us back. We bank on him not doing that, which is what we can hope. The Drury and Gomez acquisitions were signing second and third line players for ELITE 1st liner money. Something like that would set us back. If Drury and/or Gomez were actual elite 1st line centers I'd have no problem with the contracts.

But we can't see the future. However, I like the team where it is now a hell of a lot more than it was when we were making the playoffs on Jagr's back, and obviously beyond that.

Old
02-20-2011, 08:31 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
I'm far from in a Rangers bubble. I watch the Kings and Ducks more than I do the Rangers at this point. I'm a global moderator at HF--I read and post on other team's boards all the time. I think I'm pretty familiar with NHL life outside the Rangers.

June 14th, 1994 was the greatest sports day of my life. For the past 17 years, I have been patient.

You're right, I have no control over what goes on. So I should just sit back and be quiet, right? I mean, no sense complaining about anything on a message board, since it has no impact on real life. Right?

Sitting back and being patient is hardly a recourse. And it accomplishes the same thing as me being angry--nothing at all. So, what's the difference? You guys be calm, I'll be angry.
The Rangers bubble comment means, when you look at our "growth" from a Rangers only perspective it doesn't seem impressive. It's like seeing yourself get bigger and stronger as you grow up -- you don't notice it as much as others notice it.

The Rangers have grown, just not as quickly as other teams.

Yes June 14, 1994 is mine too. I was 12 years old, I watched the Rangers do the improbable and hoist the SC. I was emotional about it no doubt. Couldn't wait to go around and brag to all my friends how awesome "my" team was. I get it. The rest of us are also patient -- and I guess in this case some more patient than others.

You have every right to be upset, the Rangers have/will do some of the dumbest things any franchise in the NHL can boast -- but that's the thing as a fan you take the good and the bad.

I will be calm and you can be angry I suppose, but I was just trying to save you the stress.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Blueshirt Special

I have seen the enemy, and he smokes a cigar.

It's all on Sather, not Renney, not Torts.

If we had some potentially elite players in the farm system, there might be a glimmer of hope, but what we have is more of the same.

How does the future get better? how can we compete in this league without ever getting our Datsuyk/Zetterberg/Lidstrom/Satmkos/Malkin/Ovenchkin etc etc?

We have zero elite talent in the pipeline. So how can the future be different from the present?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
What would you like to see done at this very moment?

Sell?
Buy?
Trade Gabby?
Trade for Richards?
Tank?
Relocate to Ireland?

Everyone gets pissy and upset when the team loses. If you were Sather, what would you do at this point? Besides fire Torts, and then yourself.

3~4 Years ago the core we're watching today were a bunch of rookies. The vets on the team were moved out. Drury and Gomez take over, Renney gets canned, all hell breaks loose.

The team is about to be in a good position, shortly. This, or next off-season will make/break this team for the next half-decade, depending on where Sather decides to blow his load.

Personally, I'd sell. Move Fedetenko, Prospal, Wolski, Eminger, EC, Gilroy, Avery, Drury, and so on. Get whatever picks you can for them, or buy them out/waive them if you can't get anything.

Come draft time, try and draft 2 players in the top-10/15. (Depending on who's available, of course). Two forwards. Rest of the draft should be gambled on hit/miss, homerun type talent.

Depending on what I can get for Gabby, I'd consider moving him as well. I'd pass on Richards too.

I think we both know nothing like this will happen. We have roughly 20~ games left in the season. Depending on how bad Gabby's concussion is, I think Sather will do something stupid like blow some picks on scrubs like McCabe, and possibly a veteran forward (Someone like Kovalev, *puke*).

What would you do? I know it probably starts with replacing our GM, but let's assume you're the GM.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Fedetenko, Prospal, Wolski, Eminger, EC, Gilroy, Avery, Drury,
Wolski? Why? He's one of the only players on this team with a semblance of high talent, why would we sell him for picks, or even waive him? I don't get all the Wolski hate. He's 24, and he's extremely talented. He's not going anywhere.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

Yes, but you have to remember you are arguing that from the standpoint of the NOW, not the future. Three years ago people would have said those players who moved on or flopped were better than other players the Rangers recently gave up on. Remember all the ridiculous things people were saying about Prucha?

It's easy to look back and say in hindsight a, b, and c are so much better than x, y, or z are/were. Can you be so sure that in 3 more years a, b, and c don't become the new x, y and z?

No one here can say for sure, but history likes to repeat itself, and as a Rangers fan I will never criticize anyone for their skepticism. Seeing consistent results is what is needed to convince us this isn't the same 'ol.

Edit: Also yes, not having enough elite talent is hurting the perspective and expectations of the team as a whole. Without consistent elite players everyone starts to get bigger expectations for players who may not be able to fill them. This paints a false picture about the players and the layout of the team.

02-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Wolski? Why? He's one of the only players on this team with a semblance of high talent, why would we sell him for picks, or even waive him? I don't get all the Wolski hate. He's 24, and he's extremely talented. He's not going anywhere.
No to mention he's been one of the better players since he's arrived here.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:21 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Good: got wolski's autograph tonight
Bad: waited 2 hours for it
Redden: the marker sucked

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:

Spot on. Couldn't agree more.

Bottom line is that our "youthful" talent is complimentary talent. Our best younger players, such as Dubinsky and Callahan, are not players you build your team around. We don't have a Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin or Malkin young talent. We don't have a P. Kane, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Toews or Backstrom talent either. Even our youthful talent such as Stepan and Del Zotto won't be able to match up with Duchene, Tavares, Hedman, Doughty, Weber, etc. type talent.

Unless the Rangers can draft a player of similar quality or acquire one in a trade then we will continue to be mediocre.

For years we have said our youth from Dawes, Prucha, Korpikoski, Tyutin to now Dubinsky and Callahan would lead to a "bright" future and now most of those players are no longer even a part of the team for their inability. Heck, even the other season our fans had Sanguinetti penciled into the top-6 defense men, now he is playing for the Hurricanes farm team. People thought Grachev was going to be on the team this season, this year he is stuck in the AHL putting up mediocre numbers (albeit improving). Yet, we're banking on this guy to be in our top-6 in a year or two and score 30-goals. You just cannot do that. If he had the potential of a Patrick Kane than sure but this team hasn't had a young prospect of that caliber that you can bank on succeeding. We tend to be over optimistic here and not look at the reality of the situation.

Dubinsky won't be Mike Richards. Stepan won't be Duchene or Tavares. Anisimov won't be Backstrom. Del Zotto won't be a Letang or Yandle. We need to start realizing this. A lot of our players are just complimentary players. No amount of time will change that. You don't build a team around Dubinsky / Callahan which, unfortunately, seems like the direction we are going. Picking up Gaborik, a marquee right winger and an elite sniper in the NHL was one step in the right direction (despite being injury plagued and having an off year ) but the next step HAS to be to bring in a legitimate first line center to build your team around. And guess what? I don't care if he is 20, 25, or 30. You need to bring in a player who has some experience and can put up 90-points in a season. Someone who can be a game breaker. Until that happens (and because I don't see any of our current players with that potential) our team will never be much more than a low seed / bubble playoff team.

Honestly, right now, Wolski at 24 years of age, I believe, has the most "game breaking" offensive potential of anyone on the team. Whether his work ethic, ambition, etc, will be enough for him to ever truly realize his potential is another thing entirely.

Last edited by Fataldogg: 02-21-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Ola

Quote:
I agree 100%.

Before, we had a team full with -- at the time -- very flawed players. Basically from top to bottom. A guy like Kaspar couldn't pass/skate with the puck to save his life. A guy like Malik constantly struggled. Tom Poti had below zero confidence.

Now we have a very solid team. A line like Avery-Boyle-Prust can grind like few others. Dubi-AA-Callahan have everything really to be a solid 2nd line, not in 2-3 years, but now. We have a top scorer in Gabby. On the blueline, we have one of the better D's in the league, a very solid 2nd pairing in Sauer and McD et c.

You know, we do not have a 1st line center. But we are looking more flawed then teams that basically only have a 1st line center.

Its remarkable what a horrendous job Torts have done with this team. He have in fact done the worst possible job. He have not failed at accomplishing what he have set out to do. He have succeeded at it, and it turned ou to be a disaster. Nothing is worse then that. This is Glen Sather 2003 bad.

Even if we scramble and get back on track, you just know that we might be able to look decent for 15-20 games here and there, if a team we face do not get the job done, we will work them to the ground -- but we will never, never, be able to even remotely compete with a good team playing well with Torts behind the bench.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Ola

I can't agere about the lack of elite goal-scoring ability bringing us down.

Hockey is a team game. Almost every team we play against goes out and down right take a piss on us for as long as they want. When they let off, we climb out of the toailet and fight like dogs, but only when the other team let go of our necks. Its hockey and the NHL we are talking about, sure we are gettning some chances. Sure there are shots that could be scored upon and there are shots that could be saved by Hank. But it defintiely seem like that if we actually would keep games close longer instead of falling behind early, the other team would just keep running us over in the 3rd and we would loose anyway. Its extremely humiliating and I just can not believe that Torts have not provided his team with better tools after 2 years here. We will still win some games. The season is long and teams will mail it in against us/or just struggle. We could even make the PO's with the way the east looks right now. But against a good team playing well, the bloody Islanders probably have a better shot at keeping it close then we do. Amazing.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:30 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:

Jarko Immonen scored 5 goals for the Wolfpack in one game nyr2K2!! In one game!!

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 10:04 AM
CaptainCallahan*

There are A LOT of bright spots on this team to be happy about. I don't think we need to be crying for Tortorella's head, even though we have been watching a very underwhelming product since the all-star break.

Positives
  • The Marc Staal-Dan Girardi pairing
  • Ryan McDonagh and Michael Sauer both playing with poise beyond their years as rookies
  • Ryan Callahan blossoming into our likely next captain, and being the heartbeat of the team
  • Brandon Dubinsky blossoming into a legitimate 2nd liner that plays a gritty game as well
  • The contributions of Brandon Prust and Brian Boyle
  • Derek Stepan looking like a future stud
  • Anisimov improving on his rookie season
  • Zuccarello, who brings the skill and shootout prowress that Christensen has, but you also notice him when he's on the ice
  • Drafting Chris Kreider who looks to be a gem

Negatives
  • Marian Gaborik being unrecognizable on most games, when last season he was such a stud for us
  • Zero elite offensive talent outside from Gaborik, who is having a terrible year, and clearly could use help
  • Chris Drury's regression into a 4th line shot blocker (which is okay), but taking up an elite level cap hit(which is not okay)
  • Matt Gilroy and Michael Del Zotto on the ice at the same time, AKA 'The Liability Pairing'
  • Hopefully it is just growing pains, which many players have endured, but Del Zotto's regression this season from last has been really bad
  • Wasting cap space and a roster spot on a designated tough guy who failed to convincingly beat anyone up, and is currently out with a concussion from losing a fight. Looking at you, 'Boogeyman'.

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote