HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Sean Monahan (2013, 6th overall, Calgary)

Old
04-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Too bad Buffalo will be picking too high (or low, depending on which way you look at it) to select him, since they're worthless pieces of crap and finish 9th in the conference with regularity.

Edit: Looks like I got beat to posting it.
Eh, he's right in their wheelhouse now.

04-30-2013, 04:32 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I wouldn't be shocked to see him go as early as 5.

I hate using the word, but he just has soooo many intangibles to his game. He's probably the best centreman in the draft at the draw. This kid doesn't loose many. His defensive and neutral zone play are NHL ready. Not many OHL players who play all 3 zones better then Mony. He also has a sick wrist shot. He picks corners like it's his job when he decides to shoot and not pass the puck.

He could step in on the 3rd line in the NHL next season, but I think who ever drafts him will send him back to dominate the OHL. The 67s will be a better team next season and Mony will have a chance to lead the OHL in points.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:32 PM

How beneficial can another year in Ottawa really be? Imo he needs to be traded if he is returned.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:59 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
How beneficial can another year in Ottawa really be? Imo he needs to be traded if he is returned.
They should be in the playoffs next year. Konecny, plus a full year with all of their deadline acquisitions will definitely help.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:22 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
67s also have the 3rd pick in the Euro draft I believe. If they can get a good tender they'll be in the playoffs. Had an insanely young team last year. Many players should take steps forward this year with Monahan leading the charge.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see him go as early as 5.

I hate using the word, but he just has soooo many intangibles to his game. He's probably the best centreman in the draft at the draw. This kid doesn't loose many. His defensive and neutral zone play are NHL ready. Not many OHL players who play all 3 zones better then Mony. He also has a sick wrist shot. He picks corners like it's his job when he decides to shoot and not pass the puck.

He could step in on the 3rd line in the NHL next season, but I think who ever drafts him will send him back to dominate the OHL. The 67s will be a better team next season and Mony will have a chance to lead the OHL in points.
I think he will go top 5. Landeskog certainly wasn't the 2nd best offensive talent in his draft but his all around play, intangibles and leadership propelled him to no. 2. Monahan is a similarly impressive all around package.

If i were to predict, i think he goes pick 4 to Nashville. I think Nashville will play it safe and pick a safe North American talent like Monahan than go with a Euro like Barkov. Nothing against Barkov but the whole Radulov situation probably left a bad taste with Poile and will sway his pick towards Monahan.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 05:27 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk Army View Post
I think he will go top 5. Landeskog certainly wasn't the 2nd best offensive talent in his draft but his all around play, intangibles and leadership propelled him to no. 2. Monahan is a similarly impressive all around package.

If i were to predict, i think he goes pick 4 to Nashville. I think Nashville will play it safe and pick a safe North American talent like Monahan than go with a Euro like Barkov. Nothing against Barkov but the whole Radulov situation probably left a bad taste with Poile and will sway his pick towards Monahan.
Why do you compare Radulov situation to Barkov? Barkov is finnish player and has always stated that NHL is the goal for him nothing else. I would say that Barkov is as good two-way player if not better. Barkov was best two-way player in finnish elite league as 17 year old in top 5 league in the world. Is 1 year younger than Monahan and has bigger offensive upside by decent margin. Can't see it happening because the talent gap between these two players is notable, Barkov offers similar if not better two-way game, is physically more mature, 1 year younger but more experienced player.

To me is hard to find any team which would draft Monahan over Barkov. Why? Because they're similar players. Big two-way centers with exceptional hockeyIQ. Barkov is very competitive player and fights for the puck at boards like Mikko Koivu at times. To me it's like picking Jordan Staal level of player over Anze Kopitar/Joe Thornton level of player.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Veritas0Aequitas

Is his upside really Eric Staal or Jonathan Toews?

Veritas0Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

There's no chance Monahan drops out of the Top 10. I can't see the Devils at 9 passing up a chance to take a guy like that if he's still there. Edmonton and Calgary seem like logical teams to possibly take him.

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Hurricanes are taking him at 5.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:40 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
He seems more Jordan Staal then Eric Staal

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:41 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
He seems more Jordan Staal then Eric Staal
Definitely more skilled and a better playmaker than Jordan

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Definitely more skilled and a better playmaker than Jordan
Jared Staal then?

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:04 PM
joeyabs
RicoFata'sLoveChild

vCash: 200
Carolina at 5, or calgary at 6

joeyabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk Army View Post
Probably not a good comparison. Landeskog was much more physical, would drop the gloves and played a the consummate power winger game. His leadership traits were also off the charts. Monahan doesn't play that way.

Monahan is a likeable kid, who was also a decent leader in a tough situation in Ottawa last year, but he is not a take charge type of guy, nor a guy to drop the gloves to protect a team mate, or even lay a big hit that changes the tempo of a game. His overall hockey IQ and playmaking abilities are higher than Lando, but he probably also isn't as a good a skater at the same age.

I have seen Monahan play quite a bit and like him, but am not convinced he will be a #1 center. I think he is an extremely safe bet to play the roll of a decent 2nd line center, but I would not plan on building a forward unit around him. He will be more of a support player, like the Jordan Staal comparison that was made (although they a different players, with Staal a better skater and perhaps better goal scorer, and Monahan a better all around offensive player).

In the end, I think he is a slightly lesser version of Sean Couturier. Not quite the skater, and perhaps a bit less dynamic, but like Couturier, closer to the finished product than some of his peers. As such, a lot lower risk, because I agree he could probably play in the NHL next year, in the right situation, just like Couturier did. Or to compare him to another local player, that of Kyle Turris. Monahan is bigger and more ready for the NHL at the same age, but similarly probably won't ever be a #1 center, but if put behind a top notch guy, could flourish in a secondary role.

If I had a pick between 6-10, I'd consider Monahan for sure, but I'm not sure I could justify taking him ahead of the upside of Barkov, or even Lindholm. Nichushin comes with more risk, so I might consider Monahan ahead of him given the Russian factor too, but there is no clear right answer. And it wouldn't surprise me if some teams had Monahan behind the likes of Domi, Wennberg and even Shinkaruk in terms of pure upside.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:12 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
If developed properly, maybe.

Someone is going to regret passing on this kid as he has a ton of intangibles and will be a great leader one day.

I'd rather have him than Barkov.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:14 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Probably not a good comparison. Landeskog was much more physical, would drop the gloves and played a the consummate power winger game. His leadership traits were also off the charts. Monahan doesn't play that way.

Monahan is a likeable kid, who was also a decent leader in a tough situation in Ottawa last year, but he is not a take charge type of guy, nor a guy to drop the gloves to protect a team mate, or even lay a big hit that changes the tempo of a game. His overall hockey IQ and playmaking abilities are higher than Lando, but he probably also isn't as a good a skater at the same age.

I have seen Monahan play quite a bit and like him, but am not convinced he will be a #1 center. I think he is an extremely safe bet to play the roll of a decent 2nd line center, but I would not plan on building a forward unit around him. He will be more of a support player, like the Jordan Staal comparison that was made (although they a different players, with Staal a better skater and perhaps better goal scorer, and Monahan a better all around offensive player).

In the end, I think he is a slightly lesser version of Sean Couturier. Not quite the skater, and perhaps a bit less dynamic, but like Couturier, closer to the finished product than some of his peers. As such, a lot lower risk, because I agree he could probably play in the NHL next year, in the right situation, just like Couturier did. Or to compare him to another local player, that of Kyle Turris. Monahan is bigger and more ready for the NHL at the same age, but similarly probably won't ever be a #1 center, but if put behind a top notch guy, could flourish in a secondary role.

If I had a pick between 6-10, I'd consider Monahan for sure, but I'm not sure I could justify taking him ahead of the upside of Barkov, or even Lindholm. Nichushin comes with more risk, so I might consider Monahan ahead of him given the Russian factor too, but there is no clear right answer. And it wouldn't surprise me if some teams had Monahan behind the likes of Domi, Wennberg and even Shinkaruk in terms of pure upside.
I like the Couturier comparison but I honestly think Monahan is going to be better. I think he has more offensive upside.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
I like the Couturier comparison but I honestly think Monahan is going to be better. I think he has more offensive upside.
Don't really see that myself - Couturier was a better skater and the superior scorer at the same age - but you never know. I do think both are about as safe a bet to be scoring line forwards as you get in the draft, so any GM will see it as a very safe move to draft Monahan.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I thought Couturier was knocked for his skating.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
HSF

maybe a Couture comparison works? This guy has a lot of intangibles

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
JimmyHardFace

Monahan did an interview recently on an Edmonton sports show, the Couture comparison came up
http://chirb.it/eB6gE5

JimmyHardFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Stizz09

I don't see Nashville taking Monahan over Barkov..... like it was said Barkov is Finnish (not Russian) and theres a transfer agreement in place with the NHL and FEL... Very unlike Radulov and the KHL. Barkov a year younger with a higher ceiling goes before Monahan... I am a fan of Monahan but Calgary seems to make more sense to me.

Stizz09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHardFace View Post
Monahan did an interview recently on an Edmonton sports show, the Couture comparison came up
http://chirb.it/eB6gE5
How does anyone hire that interviewer? Terrible! I cringe listening to him.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:22 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Yikes, that was a horrendous interviewer. Credit to Monahan for rolling with it. He, Jones, and Morrissey seem to be the guys with the best heads on their shoulders, from interviews and things I've read and heard, of the guys in this draft.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
How does anyone hire that interviewer? Terrible! I cringe listening to him.
I find him kind of hilarious. While his voice isn't really 'pro', he has an endearing quality to him. You can tell he's passionate but a bit dorky. I respect his effort and enthusiasm. He's learning. He'll get better.

The accent is funny too

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote