HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Sean Monahan (2013, 6th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
He's a bit flashier than he gets credit for, especially with his playmaking. Some of the moves he makes before dishing are pretty slick.

Old
09-20-2013, 06:17 PM
HighLifeMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Jumbo Joe's playmaking is beyond obscene though. Monahan doesn't have that kind of vision/playmaking ability.
Getzlaf, Kopitar, Krejci?
None of these players have an explosive first step and are continually high end to elite point producers year in, year out.

The common trait shared among st theses players is an elite level hockey sense. That is something Monahan is said to have in spades (and judging from what I have seen that is absolutely true).

Old
09-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
The ISS OHL scout said that he believes Monahan is above what Couts was at the same age.
Well, many scouts disagree. Not a huge surprise an "OHL" guy saw it that way though. I follow the 67's more than any other team, but I just didn't see it, although they are close. But Couturier was arguably the best forward in the Q for two straight years. Monahan has probably never been considered in the top 5 in the OHL, as he hasn't been in the top 10 in scoring in the OHL either of the last two years (not that that is the be all and end all of it). But the ISS OHL scout must think a lot higher of the skill in the OHL than the Q. Being in Ottawa and getting to see a lot of OHL and Q games (w/Olympiques), I don't see it that way. But I'm not about to suggest it's an outlandish argument. I'd just disagree - and I like Monahan a lot.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
None of these players have an explosive first step and are continually high end to elite point producers year in, year out.

The common trait shared among st theses players is an elite level hockey sense. That is something Monahan is said to have in spades (and judging from what I have seen that is absolutely true).
Getlzaf might be a decent comparison, but Monahan isn't that tough or mean.

Kopitar was a bit better skater than Monahan at the same age, but a decent comparison.

Old
09-21-2013, 12:53 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Well, many scouts disagree. Not a huge surprise an "OHL" guy saw it that way though. I follow the 67's more than any other team, but I just didn't see it, although they are close. But Couturier was arguably the best forward in the Q for two straight years. Monahan has probably never been considered in the top 5 in the OHL, as he hasn't been in the top 10 in scoring in the OHL either of the last two years (not that that is the be all and end all of it). But the ISS OHL scout must think a lot higher of the skill in the OHL than the Q. Being in Ottawa and getting to see a lot of OHL and Q games (w/Olympiques), I don't see it that way. But I'm not about to suggest it's an outlandish argument. I'd just disagree - and I like Monahan a lot.
To be fair, he was suspended last year - so played fewer games. His PPG was the same as Domi's (who was 9th in scoring) and higher than Rychel's (who was 8th in scoring).

...the very top scorers tend to be 19 and 20 year olds - if you look at who the top 5 scorers in the OHL were last year, none of them would be considered better players than Monahan.

Old
09-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
To be fair, he was suspended last year - so played fewer games. His PPG was the same as Domi's (who was 9th in scoring) and higher than Rychel's (who was 8th in scoring).

...the very top scorers tend to be 19 and 20 year olds - if you look at who the top 5 scorers in the OHL were last year, none of them would be considered better players than Monahan.
The point was in relation to Couturier, who did finish in the top 5 in scoring in his draft year, despite playing less than 60 games. I realize many of the top scorers were over-agers - it was simply a comparison between Couturier and Monahan. Couturier averaged more than an assist per game in his draft year, which you don't see out of anyone in the CHL too often, let alone an 18 year old.

Old
09-21-2013, 01:27 PM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

Quote:
Well i mean he was the highest drafted OHL guy last year... The only players I could see as being better than him would be Scheifele, Strome and McDavid

Old
09-21-2013, 02:51 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
You can't simply use points to say he isn't a great offensive talent when his best linemate was a 15 yearold who finished with half the points of Monahan.

Old
09-21-2013, 03:59 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I think from his draft interview Duthje mentioned he was voted 2nd best playmaker in the OHL, something along the lines of that.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:11 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
The issue I have with this is that Couts is a 3rd liner kind of in the "Brandon Sutter category" yet people make Monahan out to be a 70pt 1st line center.

It makes about as much sense as saying "He's like Paul Bisonette, but will be an offensive threat" or "He's like a mix of Gerbe and Chara".

I don't disagree with the Couts comparison, but the expectations of him are way too high.
This was a better draft though, I think Monahan is a much better prospect than Couts. I had the opportunity to watch them both in Jr. Monahan has the puck follow him around the ice. He reminds me of a poor man Thornton.

His point production on that team last year is incredible, the 67's were beyond bad.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Jtown

Quote:

Id sa kopitar does have an explosive first stride , and Getzlaf can play a 200 foot game as well, but those two are also monsters on the puck. Only malkin is harder to get off the puck.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

Getzlaf/Kopitar are elite puck possession players though, I'm not saying Monahan has 0 chance of getting to their level, but he has a long long ways to go. The Toews comparison is what I feel is completely off base, as his skating/stickhandling aren't even close to what Toews can pull off. I see Monahan being closer to a Jordan Staal/Logan Couture level player. I actually feel Monahan is a superior defensive player to Krejci, offensively they'll probably produce around the same 60-70 points year round.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Getzlaf/Kopitar are elite puck possession players though, I'm not saying Monahan has 0 chance of getting to their level, but he has a long long ways to go. The Toews comparison is what I feel is completely off base, as his skating/stickhandling aren't even close to what Toews can pull off. I see Monahan being closer to a Jordan Staal/Logan Couture level player. I actually feel Monahan is a superior defensive player to Krejci, offensively they'll probably produce around the same 60-70 points year round.
The best comparable I have seen is a combination of Eric Staal and Jordan Staal, he is more offensive than Jordan but not as much as Eric and is probably the same level of defense as Jordan.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
The best comparable I have seen is a combination of Eric Staal and Jordan Staal, he is more offensive than Jordan but not as much as Eric and is probably the same level of defense as Jordan.
I like the Jordan Staal comparison. Monahan will be better offensively, but IMO Staal is superior defensively.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
This was a better draft though, I think Monahan is a much better prospect than Couts. I had the opportunity to watch them both in Jr. Monahan has the puck follow him around the ice. He reminds me of a poor man Thornton.

His point production on that team last year is incredible, the 67's were beyond bad.
I think his comparable and ceiling is Miiko Koivu.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:18 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
I like the Jordan Staal comparison. Monahan will be better offensively, but IMO Staal is superior defensively.
Only time will tell.

Old
09-21-2013, 07:46 PM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Monahan himself says he models his game around both Eric and Jordan Staal.
I think that is a more than fair assessment after watching him play closely over the entire summer.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Rhino Reilly
That D Biz

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
To me, after watching him his entire career with the 67s, almost every game, his high end potential offensively could be higher then Toews'. Will sound insane right now, but I'm talking about what he'll become. Idgaf what anyone thinks about this statement now, I think he has a really good chance to score a higher PPG then Toews and his defensive skill will be really close to Toews'. May win a selke or 2 due to the offence he produces along with the D ability.

Old
09-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

I watched Monahan in Saskatoon with Calgary the other night. He fit in every well, never really looking overwhelmed or behind the play. He had a modest game, making a few very nice passes in heavy traffic in the neutral zone/entering the zone, and, as advertised was very sound defensively. Saw on the boxscore that he scored two goals the night after.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:18 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Monahan himself says he models his game around both Eric and Jordan Staal.
I think that is a more than fair assessment after watching him play closely over the entire summer.
Not sure if he has the kind of goal-scoring ability Eric does, but I suppose that could come. How has Monahan looked in camp? Is he staying up with the Flames this year?

Old
09-22-2013, 10:14 AM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
To me, after watching him his entire career with the 67s, almost every game, his high end potential offensively could be higher then Toews'. Will sound insane right now, but I'm talking about what he'll become. Idgaf what anyone thinks about this statement now, I think he has a really good chance to score a higher PPG then Toews and his defensive skill will be really close to Toews'. May win a selke or 2 due to the offence he produces along with the D ability.
I hope you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Not sure if he has the kind of goal-scoring ability Eric does, but I suppose that could come. How has Monahan looked in camp? Is he staying up with the Flames this year?
He's been one of the more impressive players in camp (moreso than many of the vets, even). It's not unlikely that he gets 9 games, but I don't think we'll know whether he actually sticks until he plays some real games. I suppose there's a sliiiiiiiight possibility that they send him down right away, as well, but it's probably unlikely.

Old
09-22-2013, 12:14 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
His defensive game has been amazing and is easily NHL ready. His offensive game isn't flashy and so he doesn't often stand out but he seems to always find a way to get involved with the play and end up on the score sheet. Given the way the other young centers have played at camp I think Monahan stays for the year.

Old
09-22-2013, 03:35 PM
herashak

Monahan is guarenteed 9 games and i bet there is over a 50% chance he sticks for the year. Right choice imo.

Last edited by herashak: 09-22-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old
09-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

Calgary definitely has a stud on their hands. Reminds me a lot of Eric Staal. Keep in mind, he'll get way stronger than he is right now and he'll man the boards once he fills out his frame.

09-23-2013, 10:32 PM
JurassicTunga
Monadrone

Another rock solid game from Sean Monahan tonight.

I don't think he's going to go back to the 67's.

Closed Thread