HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers place High Price on Penner, Hemsky

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2011, 06:12 PM
crazyforhockey

vCash: 500
Oilers in driver's seat as they dont have to trade theses guys .....help out the young guys
another year left...Penner gives them size...

unless they receive their prospect/overpayment then they hold on to them

Old
02-20-2011, 06:18 PM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs your uncle View Post
The Oilers are in the perfect situation.
If a club makes Edmonton an offer that makes sense long-term, great.
If not, the Oilers get to keep them in the organization moving forward.
There is no pressure on them whatsoever to react in desperation.
Heres the thing.

Ales Hemskys value will never be higher than it is right now. This is as much of a SELLERS market as I can remember, with only a handful of teams being totally out of the playoffs. You mentioned that he has another year left on his contract. That definitely adds to his value for this year as well.

Let's say Edmonton sets the bar too high this deadline for Hemsky and chooses to hold on to him for another year. Well, I hate to break it to you Edmonton fans, but until you shore up that blue line and add some grit, I don't see the Oilers making the playoffs next year. So, next year at this time, the Oilers will be sellers again and the market might not be in their favor as much as it is today. Add to that that Hemsky will be an impending UFA, with no guarantees to re sign in Edmonton, and his value will be much less. This is all assuming that he's still healthy.

Point of it is, trade Hemsky now, his value will never be higher. There is no guarantee he's gonna resign next year for a bad Oilers team.

Old
oil9

penner
2nd
for
jack johnson

hemsky
for
carlson

Old
oilers4life5

How about Hemsky gets traded for Carlson, Semin Gets traded for Bogosian, Atl claims Souray! Everbody wins!

Old
02-20-2011, 06:19 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Carlson/Alzner for Hemsky? Hilarity.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
02-20-2011, 06:27 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Oilers have the talent?... aren't they the worse team in the NHL AGAIN! that says otherwise... no no they don't have the talent to make the playoffs in the West.
Are you familiar with the concept of development? Players tend to improve as they get bigger and more experienced.

And yes, they absolutely do have the talent required to win hockey games. Grab a few decent UFAs and they're off to the races.

Personally I don't think they'll make the playoffs but its not out of the question. I look forward to a couple years down the road when my Oilers will get to take advantage of an easy first round matchup against the sure-to-choke Canucks, the league's new San Jose Sharks. Have fun winning nothing, the parade is sure to be glorious.

Old
02-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
hemsky is top 16 in ppg this year. no need to move him unless it's a clear overpayment.
And top 5 in even strength points ppg and only Hemsky is valued low on these boards mostly by eastern based fans that have no clue how good he is . If any of the top 20 scorers in the league were being shopped those gm's would want a huge package back

Old
02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
but there is no point for us to trade Hemsky away, he could be a key player in our rebuild. Unless teams are desperate enough to overpay a lot. Like in the case of Vancouver, i think Raymond, Schroeder and 1st would be enough.

Old
02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

I'm happy Tambellini is asking for such a high price. Aside from Richards, Hemsky is the best forward on the market. The guy is money in the playoffs and he would instantly bolster any teams offense. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't really watched Hemsky play.

Old
02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Shouldn't the Oilers be asking for someone like Orlov over Carlson/Alzner? The Oilers aren't ready to compete, and Carlson/Alzner are going to need extensions sooner rather than later.
such rediculous logic. Why not go for the guy who may not be able to play in the NHL over the guy who has already proven himself? Good thing your not a GM.

Old
02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Which teams can afford to overpay???

Old
02-20-2011, 06:56 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Remember that the asking price for Fisher was a 1st and a top prospect.

Old
02-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Robert Theodorson

Good GMs know the value of a compromise, they don't go out and try to trade **** other teams. WSH/EDM seem like horrible trade partners right now

Old
02-20-2011, 07:03 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Hemsky and Penner dont need to leave so yah if someone offers them somehting they cant refuse I dont think they are goin anywhere

Old
02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
They have loads of talent waiting to explode. If Hall pulls a Stamkos on us next year (which is possible), the depth on offense behind him will follow with him. The question is defense. If Oilers can stock that up, no reason they can't challenge for a spot next year.
Oilers have great potential on wing. Oilers are very weak down the middle and on D and questionable goaltending that's not going to get you a playoff spot in the West. Oilers will be at the bottom of the West again next year, unless your GM has a big offseason for you.

Old
02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Good GMs know the value of a compromise, they don't go out and try to trade **** other teams. WSH/EDM seem like horrible trade partners right now
Disagree. The only way they're bad trade partners is if the Oil are hellbent on converting Hemsky into a 1st pairing young defenseman.. or bust. In which case the Oilers are bad trade partners with virtually everybody.

Otherwise, the Caps have plenty of useful assets..

Old
02-20-2011, 07:10 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Hilarious to suggest Carlson, but Alzner has hardly proven himself enough for us to consider his value as being ridiculously high. Only reason he wouldn't get dealt is that they don't really have any young d-man that play that role, since Carlson and Green are more offensive.

Old
02-20-2011, 07:12 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Are you familiar with the concept of development? Players tend to improve as they get bigger and more experienced.

And yes, they absolutely do have the talent required to win hockey games. Grab a few decent UFAs and they're off to the races.

Personally I don't think they'll make the playoffs but its not out of the question. I look forward to a couple years down the road when my Oilers will get to take advantage of an easy first round matchup against the sure-to-choke Canucks, the league's new San Jose Sharks. Have fun winning nothing, the parade is sure to be glorious.
If the Oilers are so great why are they in last place in the NHL 2nd year running?... maybe just maybe their not as good as you thought... yet. I'm Sure the future will be good for you guys but you still have aways to go to make the playoffs in the West. Oilers have some big hole to fix before you should be talking about playoffs.

And before you plan on kicking the Nucks out of the playoffs you have to make it there... we'll be waiting for you.

Old
02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
I wouldn't want Alzner in return for Hemsky.

Seems a lot of Eastern Conference fan bases don't know a lot about Hemsky.

Old
02-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Ementy

Quote:
If the Oilers are so great why are they in last place in the NHL 2nd year running?... maybe just maybe their not as good as you thought... yet. I'm Sure the future will be good for you guys but you still have aways to go to make the playoffs in the West. Oilers have some big hole to fix before you should be talking about playoffs.

And before you plan on kicking the Nucks out of the playoffs you have to make it there... we'll be waiting for you.
This is one of the stupidest posts I have EVER read, that is not a trade proposal.

Why was Chicago last for 2 years before they bust out, why was Pittsburgh...why was Washington last for 2 years before.

God dang man, do I need to continue and get into a rant about what the Oilers got, or is that enough for you to bite your tongue?

Old
02-20-2011, 07:20 PM
goggog

Quote:
Oilers have the talent?... aren't they the worse team in the NHL AGAIN! that says otherwise... no no they don't have the talent to make the playoffs in the West. A lot of work is needed in Edmonton, which is cool their in rebuild.
I think you do not understand the definition of talent...
How were the Penguins the first year with Crosby? They drafted 2nd overall the following year. Must mean Crosby had no talent at all...

And no, I am not comparing any one of the Oiler players to Crosby.

Old
LosT_PropheT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Just like Colorado had no shot last year right? Anything can happen, they have the talent. Just need Dubnyk to step up and a few smart UFA signings. Or Taylor Hall could go all Stamkos on us, wouldn't be that surprising really.
Don't get all ahead of yourself. Stamkos had the most goals in the NHL last year (tied) before having such a great year.

Old
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
I have a question about Hemsky. Besides point totals, what else does he bring to the table?

Old
02-20-2011, 07:23 PM
goggog

Quote:

Old
02-20-2011, 07:23 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I have a question about Hemsky. Besides point totals, what else does he bring to the table?
He is actually quite underrated defensively. As a Thrashers fan, I am sure you saw all of the board battles that he was winning in the defensive zone yesterday.

Closed Thread