HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Were the Habs even at the Heritage Classic today?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2011, 08:52 PM
  #51
Thorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint-Hubert
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,193
vCash: 500
unless they can find some way of getting good ice for an outdoor event I would rather not have the habs in it.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
  #52
Seb
Unregistered User
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
I'm so glad i went to the Florida trip instead of this one.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
  #53
Magnum Crackoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Does the Montreal organisation gain anything for playing the ''heritage classic''? I mean they expose their team to harsh conditions and not favoring their playing style at all (clean passes were virtually impossible), when the issue of this game could be critical to both teams participation in the playoffs.

Is the Calgary organisation splitting a bit of the cash made in this event or what?

Just curious how it works.

Magnum Crackoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
  #54
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
EPIC! I'll remember this more than the actual game


lol exactly my thoughts. those few lols were more enjoyment than i had all night

:highfive:

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
  #55
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Come on guys, this is getting old, you guys got to stop ripping the team everytime they get a loss.

38 shots, pucks bouncing all over the place.

I think the the 5 on 3 really took some sails out.

They put in a good effort. They skated got it deep. Just wasn't happening. One glarin problem and has been for awhile. No one in front of the net to screen the shots. We basically gave Kiprusoff every chance to see the puck.

The team was fine, just didn't score. Lack of net presence is what is the problem.

PS for those who said Paul Mara is slow. He didn't look slow at all to me today. Plus something we haven't had in awhile a big body actually pushing guys out of the front of the net.

We could use a big body. Each day going by I think we are standing pat and looking towards next year.

We still have plenty of time or room to work with in the standings. Things will likely mesh by next game or so.

Give the team a break. 38 shots with the way the puck was bouncing, just didn't work.
You really think 38 shots tell the story about this team tonight and as a whole?

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
  #56
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You are able to be consistent in scoring goals when there's actually more than 1 way to do it. When the beauty goals aren't there, the garbage goals needs to kick in. Driving the net and getting the rebounds. Didn't happen tonight, didn't happen lately.
Is there more than 1 way to score with small players who have a much harder time to get to dirty areas? I think you need a mix of big strong forwards and a few small speedy guys for different types of games and different opponents. I think this is why we have such a hard time against western teams, most teams in the west are of a bigger stronger variety.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:57 PM
  #57
habspinner
Registered User
 
habspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Call me crazy, but wasn't leaving Picard out of this game and putting Mara in who has been with the team all of 4 days a bit of a dick thing to do by the Habs?

I don't know, I run a team of guys and I wouldn't have done something like that. I don't think that Mara is that much better than Picard or would have made that much of a difference either way.

I just think it's the wrong thing to do for team morale. Picard from all accounts has been a really good teammate despite being sat for like 15 games straight.

Bad karma.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
  #58
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,322
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
How so? So you think the Habs fanbase is the only fanbase that whines and complains when their team fails to show up and plays like **** huh..
Because as soon as this team faces any adversity the fans are the first to jump off the ship and yell from the shore that they never liked the boat anyway. I'm not gonna lie and say I never acted this way in the past, but I thought last year's playoff run would humble some in that respect like it did me. Every time this team was counted out they fought back. Nobody gave them a chance, myself included, against Washington and they won a 7 game thriller. Even less of a chance against Pittsburgh, and they gave us more great memories.

And the funniest part about that run? The fans said they never lost faith, which was a crock of **** for 99% of us. We were ready to crap all over them had they lost game 7 in Washington. But they didn't, and like I said I thought that would be a great lesson in humility, but I guess it wasn't.

Truthfully I was being generous in my assessment. If this team reflected the fanbase they'd have folded up when Markov went down for the season. People pegged them to be an 8th place team with him, and currently they're a 6th place team without him. But evidently they have no heart and no desire because they're having a bad stretch in February.

Maybe I'm an idiot for still being positive about this team, but I'd like to think a small stretch mid-season isn't indicative of a team's play. Maybe they will tailspin out of control and not make the playoffs. Who knows? But if they don't fall apart, and if they do make the playoffs, when I say I was behind them the whole time I don't want to have to lie about it.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
  #59
BigHabs
#11
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
You really think 38 shots tell the story about this team tonight and as a whole?
No, but I am saying they were getting the puck to the net. Just wasn't working tonight.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
  #60
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Come on guys, this is getting old, you guys got to stop ripping the team everytime they get a loss.

38 shots, pucks bouncing all over the place.

I think the the 5 on 3 really took some sails out.

They put in a good effort. They skated got it deep. Just wasn't happening. One glarin problem and has been for awhile. No one in front of the net to screen the shots. We basically gave Kiprusoff every chance to see the puck.

The team was fine, just didn't score. Lack of net presence is what is the problem.

PS for those who said Paul Mara is slow. He didn't look slow at all to me today. Plus something we haven't had in awhile a big body actually pushing guys out of the front of the net.

We could use a big body. Each day going by I think we are standing pat and looking towards next year.

We still have plenty of time or room to work with in the standings. Things will likely mesh by next game or so.

Give the team a break. 38 shots with the way the puck was bouncing, just didn't work.
Yeah yeah, 38 shots from the blue line... gave up a short handed goal. No hussle, no grind, no grit and no emotion from the players or the bench, but that's ok! We're going to win the up!!

Like Tremblay said, citing the ice conditions is just an excuse. Why didn't the Flames suffer from ice conditions?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
  #61
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlajeunesse91 View Post
until we get over the 5'8 mark with half our roster, our team will continue to be S*#t. And as long as we have a zombie of a coach.
THIS!

We are owned in front of our own net and the opposition net.

We are an easy team to play against and can we please get a coach with a pulse!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:01 PM
  #62
Scotianhab
Registered User
 
Scotianhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Calgary: a management change
New Jersey: a coach change

If only we could move Muller up and send Martin to coach the Bulldogs...
I should have said organizational change. My point is though a coaching change and a GM change are both major shakeups. I think Gauthier has done a good job but I think our scoring would increase dramatically with the guys we have if Martin was gone.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:02 PM
  #63
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 10,099
vCash: 500
Watching The Amazing Race in HD seemed a better idea than watching the 3rd. Plus tennis during the 1st.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:02 PM
  #64
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,973
vCash: 500
The bottom line for this game is the Flames came to play and wanted the win today and the Habs looked like they could care less..

I don't even recall the Habs winning one battle along the boards today at all..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:04 PM
  #65
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Shhh! Don't critize your team or the SMART posters will point out how negative Habs fans are! No no, just sit their and support whatever crap the team spews out onto the ice.
No matter how smart any poster might think he or she is, it matters not. I find it funny on here sometimes as well that no matter what you say, there are always a certain few who are quick to shoot people down only to re-post bits and pieces of stuff they criticized earlier.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
  #66
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,345
vCash: 500
Someone should ask Carey Price what it's like to be a 1 man team.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:05 PM
  #67
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,397
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Come on guys, this is getting old, you guys got to stop ripping the team everytime they get a loss.

38 shots, pucks bouncing all over the place.

I think the the 5 on 3 really took some sails out.

They put in a good effort. They skated got it deep. Just wasn't happening. One glarin problem and has been for awhile. No one in front of the net to screen the shots. We basically gave Kiprusoff every chance to see the puck.

The team was fine, just didn't score. Lack of net presence is what is the problem.

PS for those who said Paul Mara is slow. He didn't look slow at all to me today. Plus something we haven't had in awhile a big body actually pushing guys out of the front of the net.

We could use a big body. Each day going by I think we are standing pat and looking towards next year.

We still have plenty of time or room to work with in the standings. Things will likely mesh by next game or so.

Give the team a break. 38 shots with the way the puck was bouncing, just didn't work.
You do not get shutout in one of the biggest games of the year by "putting in a good effort." If they had, they score would have been close. Watch Chicago and Detroit a few years back or even Pittsburgh and Washington. They had effort and were playing hard. Montreal in the first was slow and lackluster. I cannot comment on their performance thereafter since I fell asleep, although that certainly makes a statement in and of itself.

This team seems to have no drive and no interest. If Edmonton and Calgary can dominate us with minimal effort, Vancouver will rip us apart.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:11 PM
  #68
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Because as soon as this team faces any adversity the fans are the first to jump off the ship and yell from the shore that they never liked the boat anyway. I'm not gonna lie and say I never acted this way in the past, but I thought last year's playoff run would humble some in that respect like it did me. Every time this team was counted out they fought back. Nobody gave them a chance, myself included, against Washington and they won a 7 game thriller. Even less of a chance against Pittsburgh, and they gave us more great memories.

And the funniest part about that run? The fans said they never lost faith, which was a crock of **** for 99% of us. We were ready to crap all over them had they lost game 7 in Washington. But they didn't, and like I said I thought that would be a great lesson in humility, but I guess it wasn't.

Truthfully I was being generous in my assessment. If this team reflected the fanbase they'd have folded up when Markov went down for the season. People pegged them to be an 8th place team with him, and currently they're a 6th place team without him. But evidently they have no heart and no desire because they're having a bad stretch in February.

Maybe I'm an idiot for still being positive about this team, but I'd like to think a small stretch mid-season isn't indicative of a team's play. Maybe they will tailspin out of control and not make the playoffs. Who knows? But if they don't fall apart, and if they do make the playoffs, when I say I was behind them the whole time I don't want to have to lie about it.
While I do agree some people overreact, Houston we Do have a problem generating offense. Look our second leading point getter is James Wizniewski, here are the streaks some of our forwards are on:

AK - 0 goals, 2 assist in 13 games

Gomez - 1 goal, 2 assist in 10 games

Halpern - 2 goals, 0 assist in 12 games

Moen - 0 goals, 3 assist in 30 games

Eller - 0 goals, 2 assist in 13 games

Gionta - 1 assist in 32 games (at least he is scoring some though)

Pouliot - 4 goals, 0 assist in 14 games


That is a LOT of forwards struggling at the same time my man. I am not sure if it is the system, or the coaching not motivating the players or what. But there is a problem that goes beyond a bad patch IMO.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
  #69
totalrecall
 
totalrecall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
save your faces and just forfeit vancouver game

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
  #70
habspinner
Registered User
 
habspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
You do not get shutout in one of the biggest games of the year by "putting in a good effort." If they had, they score would have been close. Watch Chicago and Detroit a few years back or even Pittsburgh and Washington. They had effort and were playing hard. Montreal in the first was slow and lackluster. I cannot comment on their performance thereafter since I fell asleep, although that certainly makes a statement in and of itself.

This team seems to have no drive and no interest. If Edmonton and Calgary can dominate us with minimal effort, Vancouver will rip us apart.
The only time when we see the real drive from this team is when their backs are up against the wall, and then the go out and do it. They have gamers like that.

But when the other team really brings the body to us and has their defensemen lean into us at the blueline, along the boards and behind the net we get into trouble. The only line that can really cycle the puck is the top line. Akost is not winning his battles, and Gomez is and has always been so very poor along the boards.

Halpern, well enough has been said of him here, and DD has had a downturn over these last few games.

The rest are ok, Eller and White both will get better when they stop being so erratic, and Moen seems to be waiting for the playoffs, or at least I hope. Darche is now injured, which is unfortunate as he was doing this work well, and Pouliot when he stays on his skates is effective. Pyatt, well, I think he's better than he has shown this year, but still he's a marginal NHL'er.

Our defense is fine - with Markov and Gorges, and Spacek. Without them, some warts are coming out. You know all you people bashing Spacek, well I've missed him these last couple of games. Him along with Weber have been a very solid dependable bottom pairing. It hasn't been so great with him out. He's a lot better defensively than people give him credit for. I for one hope he gets back sooner than later. We're missing him.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:18 PM
  #71
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
While I do agree some people overreact, Houston we Do have a problem generating offense. Look our second leading point getter is James Wizniewski, here are the streaks some of our forwards are on:

AK - 0 goals, 2 assist in 13 games

Gomez - 1 goal, 2 assist in 10 games

Halpern - 2 goals, 0 assist in 12 games

Moen - 0 goals, 3 assist in 30 games

Eller - 0 goals, 2 assist in 13 games

Gionta - 1 assist in 32 games (at least he is scoring some though)

Pouliot - 4 goals, 0 assist in 14 games


That is a LOT of forwards struggling at the same time my man. I am not sure if it is the system, or the coaching not motivating the players or what. But there is a problem that goes beyond a bad patch IMO.
Halpern is a bottom 6 forward getting limited ice time. Eller is forced to play with limited ice time.

Moen, Kostitsyn and Eller (mostly the first two) play the most with Gomez.

4 goals in 14 games still equates to around 24 goals in a season.

Halpern is the average of 14 goals in a season. 24 and 14 for players with no powerplay time playing with less skilled players is still good.

Moen isn't a top 6 forward and I guarantee you, if you asked him off record, he'd be happy with the ice time, but knows he shouldn't be there.

The players who are lacking is a combination of coaching and who they play with.

Eller plays bad, he gets benched.

Gomez plays bad, he still gets pp time ?

To make matters worse for Gomez, he plays with no hands Moen and streaky Andrei Kostitsyn, who's not on a streak. He picks the worst times to shoot and his shot isn't very good to begin with.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:21 PM
  #72
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 500
Bad ice made it impossible to play our game (when we do play it). It's based on crisp passing and every time we tried, we fumbled it (I suppose fitting that it was a football stadium).

gomez and ak were IMO very good. Moen needs to be replaced. Put Eller there or just accept that Gomez (who has been good, but people are blinded since his overall line sucks) isn't gonna break out of his funk.

Gionta is eternally frustrating. He is definitely the guy with heart, he's the captain, but he looks like a one trick pony who's run out of tricks. I don't want to believe that's true. DD and Cammy --> the passes were off, they did well otherwise (I think they'll show something in an actual NHL rink). Plex just has no one to go to and can't do it alone like he has in the past. Patches didn't have a good game. Lot of passes to nowhere. And then Gionta being barely able to stand doesn't help.

defence was pretty bad, as it's been for awhile. They play well for a bit, but eventually blow coverage. Wiz is just not a good D man and aside from his start in MTL has mostly been part of the problem. Mara, well, whatever, he didn't suck. The only person I can ever count on is PK since he does his job regardless of everyone else (and that goes double for Price). Personally I like Pouliot a lot, but the ice was not favouring his usually slick hands.

Overall the problem is a lack of cohesion. With Cammy back, we need to reshuffle the lines. Gomez needs to be on a line where everyone can score or help score. I'm tired of his "demotion". He has had multiple great games where people have bashed him cuz the others on his line sucked.

What is plainly obvious: we stay to the perimeter against big body teams. If our passing doesn't work and Gionta doesn't become Koivu-esque, and if Pleky can't find someone with a sweet feed, we're cooked. Then we rely on D, which would be ok...if we had a good D corp. Hammer has given a lot, but like last year the second half of the season is too much for him. Eric Staal pretty much ruined our season. That and the unfortunate loss of Gorges. Everything is built from there up. Patches is our best shot at changing ways. That and Eller breaking out.

So embarrassing tonight, but I have to say - the ice was a HUGE factor for a team that requires good ice to be successful.

habtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:21 PM
  #73
sweat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Pretty disappointing to sit through that cold to watch my team play that soft. They couldn't have thrown more one hit all game, and were standing still all night. Third year in a row throwing up a stinker in Calgary. ugh. AK46 had to be the worst player on the ice. It's like he doesn't know his stick could be lifted, even thought it seems to happen 10 times a night.

sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
  #74
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,573
vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
you want a big team? go watch another team, you guys are ****ing killing me...
what if you hate ever other team. The NHL without the Canadiens would be irrelevant to me. I want a big team I dont think its asking too much. Why does this team have to be so one dimensional?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:24 PM
  #75
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
I still have no idea why JM insists to keep Gomez and AK together...

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.