HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will it take for the Habs to be a contender

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
  #1
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
What will it take for the Habs to be a contender

It's been almost two years that the Habs have change their core, now we know the new players more and we have some good young players in the organisation. What do you think the habs need to be a contender.

This team have some hole for me next year in a perfect world I will like to see

Pacioretty-XXXX-Cammalleri
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-XXXXX
White-Halpern-XXXX

Markov-XXXX
Subban-Gorges
Weber-Gill

Price
Auld

1 st line

We absolutely need a real first line player something we don't have in Hamilton. If Gauthier have a chance to land one here he should try everything to do it. A Big center would be my number choice. Cammalleri is a first line sniper. Pacioretty is young and he would be the 3rd guy on the line.

2nd line

I like Plek and Gio but they are not 1st line player on a contender team. Plekanec is a great two-way player his defense is always great but when he struggle at offense he can't produce and feed his linemates. Gionta great second line player. AK can produce ,physical and still have some potential but he's not essential to the team. I put him there because I like him and I think Gauthier can sign him next year for cheap

3rd line

Pouliot give us some scoring depth, Give Eller some good linemate and let him progress all year at center position, find a big winger who can hit and score ugly goal in front of the goalie

4th line
A line who can hit give momentum and fight, White can do that,Halpern can win faceoff and play on the PK, find a guy who can fight and hit to play with these two


Defense I don't want to do all pair but to me Markov,Subban,Gorges and Weber have to be here next year,sign Gill he's a good room guy and he's good on the PK. Spacek will probably be back but to be a contender team I think we need a solid young top 4 D-men

Price is god

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
  #2
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,106
vCash: 500
Well, don't spend $7.3 million worth of cap space on a player that can only get you 1 point every 2 games. Also, don't give a top 6 forward position to a player that goes hot for 8-10 games then cold for 20. And please get mobility and physicality on the backend. Protect our franchise player.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:24 PM
  #3
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,709
vCash: 500
With the effort this team puts forth the last couple of games; An act of God.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:26 PM
  #4
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Dump Gomez sign Richards in the offseason. Quickest way.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:30 PM
  #5
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,241
vCash: 500
It will take a lot more than the few changes your proposing.

Our Top 6 is not big, physical and talented enough... We need to keep 2 of our smallish forwards and find a real bonafide elite forward.

Our defence is better, but we need a physical shutdown defenceman and NO MORE Gill please. He's doing an honest job, but we need to find a younger player...

The main problem is the offense and right now, the core isn't good enough... plus we have nothing really coming up within the system...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
  #6
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,237
vCash: 500
Finishing our chances
Not being **** at the thing JM is sposed to be great at - team defense

Big winger wouldn't hurt, but he'd have to be a sure fire finisher, not someone who'd be a dud with our lineup. Otherwise I think we're ok if we get our act together. I like Martin, but lately he's not showing that he can fix things that are obvious to all of us.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
  #7
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
new coach new gm for starters...

it makes me so sad to think where this team would be with boucher and yzerman and the helm

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
  #8
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
I keep flip flopping. My opinion changes day to day. Sometimes hour to hour.

Right now I am thinking Montreal should consider moving a few of our more important players. Perhaps not this week. But soon. Maybe in the summer. I think this team deserves an elite player. If we can find a way to drop Gomez in the summer too, perfect.

Maybe even a deal for a high pick would be nice. We have not done anything like that in how long??? Boston was willing to trade Kessel a couple years ago. When was the last time we made a deal of that magnitude.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
  #9
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
It will take a lot more than the few changes your proposing.

Our Top 6 is not big, physical and talented enough... We need to keep 2 of our smallish forwards and find a real bonafide elite forward.

Our defence is better, but we need a physical shutdown defenceman and NO MORE Gill please. He's doing an honest job, but we need to find a younger player...

The main problem is the offense and right now, the core isn't good enough... plus we have nothing really coming up within the system...
So only 2 of Plekanec,Gionta and Cammalleri? Who do you keep?

I agree that we need a big,physical elite forward but I think we can win the cup with Plekanec,Gio and Cam in our top6 but Plek have to be the second line center and the skill guy we both want have to be a center

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
  #10
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post

Pacioretty-XXXX- XXXX
XXXX-Plekanec-Cammalleri
XXXX-XXXX- Gionta
White-XXXX-XXXX

Markov-XXXX
Subban-Gorges
Weber-Gill

Price
Auld
I added a few more X's....

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
  #11
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
A top 3 power forward (top 6 would help, but top 3 is what's needed)

A 3-4th line gritty player with size, like Steve Ott, David Clarkson, Chris Neil.

A physical stay-at-home defenseman.


There's probably more, but that would solve a lot of issues we're seeing today, in my humble opinion.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
  #12
missthenet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
better asset management

Ribeiro, Bouillion, Robidas, Grabovski, SK, O'bryne, Dago, Halak.

What we got for these 7 players combined is 1 player playing 10 minutes a game and he has 3 goals.

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
  #13
Seb
Unregistered User
 
Seb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 7,049
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Healthy Dmen would be a great start tbh.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:39 PM
  #14
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
It's been almost two years that the Habs have change their core, now we know the new players more and we have some good young players in the organisation. What do you think the habs need to be a contender.

This team have some hole for me next year in a perfect world I will like to see

Pacioretty-XXXX-Cammalleri
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-XXXXX
White-Halpern-XXXX

Markov-XXXX
Subban-Gorges
Weber-Gill

Price
Auld

1 st line

We absolutely need a real first line player something we don't have in Hamilton. If Gauthier have a chance to land one here he should try everything to do it. A Big center would be my number choice. Cammalleri is a first line sniper. Pacioretty is young and he would be the 3rd guy on the line.

2nd line

I like Plek and Gio but they are not 1st line player on a contender team. Plekanec is a great two-way player his defense is always great but when he struggle at offense he can't produce and feed his linemates. Gionta great second line player. AK can produce ,physical and still have some potential but he's not essential to the team. I put him there because I like him and I think Gauthier can sign him next year for cheap

3rd line

Pouliot give us some scoring depth, Give Eller some good linemate and let him progress all year at center position, find a big winger who can hit and score ugly goal in front of the goalie

4th line
A line who can hit give momentum and fight, White can do that,Halpern can win faceoff and play on the PK, find a guy who can fight and hit to play with these two


Defense I don't want to do all pair but to me Markov,Subban,Gorges and Weber have to be here next year,sign Gill he's a good room guy and he's good on the PK. Spacek will probably be back but to be a contender team I think we need a solid young top 4 D-men

Price is god


CLEAN HOUSE at the senior Management Level.

Commit to a rebuild with youth...similar to the Oilers!

Habs have been trying to do a "Patch Job" for most of the last 20-30 years...it hasn't worked!

Sure....they won 2 Cups in the past 30+ years - largely on Roy's shoulders, but Roy is no longer playing and this team needs a new direction in order to become a true contender!





Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
  #15
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
So only 2 of Plekanec,Gionta and Cammalleri? Who do you keep?

I agree that we need a big,physical elite forward but I think we can win the cup with Plekanec,Gio and Cam in our top6 but Plek have to be the second line center and the skill guy we both want have to be a center
The thing is we are going to have to give to get. Pleks, Gio and Cammy are the kind of guys other teams would ask for when we come knocking for that big physical elite forward. If we can acquire one young, it gives us another piece. If we can trade a couple good players for an elite player I would be happy. Then I would like to see us trade to get some picks.

We are going to empty our cupboard if we keep doing patch jobs.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
  #16
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
Ribeiro, Bouillion, Robidas, Grabovski, SK, O'bryne, Dago, Halak.

What we got for these 7 players combined is 1 player playing 10 minutes a game and he has 3 goals.
How did the players Boston got for Dryden do ?

Yeah, exactly, mistakes are made by everyone.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
  #17
76ftw
24
 
76ftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
new coach new gm for starters...

it makes me so sad to think where this team would be with boucher and yzerman and the helm


We've had a bad stretch, and we're not contenders. But how can you say that? We went to the conference finals last year with the same GM and coach...

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:44 PM
  #18
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
It'll take a premier top 6 winger, some more bottom-6 grit, and a good first pairing defenseman, at the very least. Also, we're lacking some mobility at the back end. Guys like Spacek, Hamrlik, Gill are all showing their age, as capable as they could be, they're getting older, and slower.

Or maybe they'll surprise us and play the cards we've been dealt.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
  #19
XperHFB
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Score goals.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
  #20
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,427
vCash: 500
A revamped top six with players that are less similar. Need to add size, grit and strength in the top six. Gone ideally are Gomez and AKosts, and to a lesser extent even Gionta. Gio is solid but Habs already have a shrimp in Cammalleri and Cammy is simply a better and younger player at this point.

Also, the need to get a legit front line defenseman. Markov was but injuries have all but derailed his career. Also likely need a # 3 defenseman as well.

And a revamped both six with a proper big shut down third line center who can actually contribute offensively and bottom line wingers capable of playing hockey and be physical and protect.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
  #21
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Consistency of heart. Sometimes they're all heart, lots of times they aren't.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:47 PM
  #22
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
...and to a lesser extent even Gionta.
Blasphemy.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:47 PM
  #23
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
There's some holes.. but it all starts and is primarily dependant on the Habs somehow being able to dump Alaska Gomez to anyone willing.

Also, I always feel like people here tend to over-emphasize the team's weaknesses... every single team in the league has at least one major hole somewhere. The league is all about parity now and to be able to win the cup involves, IMO, not only a lot of skill and planning but also a lot of luck and timeliness. You need everything to align perfectly to be able to win it.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:48 PM
  #24
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,925
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Pacioretty-Plekanec-XXXX
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX
XXXX-XXX-XXXX
White-Eller-XXXXX

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Gill
Hamrlik-Weber

Price
XXXXX

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
  #25
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Blasphemy.
Dude, Gionta sucks this year

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.