HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will it take for the Habs to be a contender

Old
02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
What will it take for the Habs to be a contender

It's been almost two years that the Habs have change their core, now we know the new players more and we have some good young players in the organisation. What do you think the habs need to be a contender.

This team have some hole for me next year in a perfect world I will like to see

Pacioretty-XXXX-Cammalleri
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-XXXXX
White-Halpern-XXXX

Markov-XXXX
Subban-Gorges
Weber-Gill

Price
Auld

1 st line

We absolutely need a real first line player something we don't have in Hamilton. If Gauthier have a chance to land one here he should try everything to do it. A Big center would be my number choice. Cammalleri is a first line sniper. Pacioretty is young and he would be the 3rd guy on the line.

2nd line

I like Plek and Gio but they are not 1st line player on a contender team. Plekanec is a great two-way player his defense is always great but when he struggle at offense he can't produce and feed his linemates. Gionta great second line player. AK can produce ,physical and still have some potential but he's not essential to the team. I put him there because I like him and I think Gauthier can sign him next year for cheap

3rd line

Pouliot give us some scoring depth, Give Eller some good linemate and let him progress all year at center position, find a big winger who can hit and score ugly goal in front of the goalie

4th line
A line who can hit give momentum and fight, White can do that,Halpern can win faceoff and play on the PK, find a guy who can fight and hit to play with these two

Defense I don't want to do all pair but to me Markov,Subban,Gorges and Weber have to be here next year,sign Gill he's a good room guy and he's good on the PK. Spacek will probably be back but to be a contender team I think we need a solid young top 4 D-men

Price is god

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
le_sean

Well, don't spend $7.3 million worth of cap space on a player that can only get you 1 point every 2 games. Also, don't give a top 6 forward position to a player that goes hot for 8-10 games then cold for 20. And please get mobility and physicality on the backend. Protect our franchise player.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

With the effort this team puts forth the last couple of games; An act of God.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:26 PM
TheBuriedHab

Dump Gomez sign Richards in the offseason. Quickest way.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:30 PM
MTL-rules

It will take a lot more than the few changes your proposing.

Our Top 6 is not big, physical and talented enough... We need to keep 2 of our smallish forwards and find a real bonafide elite forward.

Our defence is better, but we need a physical shutdown defenceman and NO MORE Gill please. He's doing an honest job, but we need to find a younger player...

The main problem is the offense and right now, the core isn't good enough... plus we have nothing really coming up within the system...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
habtastic

Finishing our chances
Not being **** at the thing JM is sposed to be great at - team defense

Big winger wouldn't hurt, but he'd have to be a sure fire finisher, not someone who'd be a dud with our lineup. Otherwise I think we're ok if we get our act together. I like Martin, but lately he's not showing that he can fix things that are obvious to all of us.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

new coach new gm for starters...

it makes me so sad to think where this team would be with boucher and yzerman and the helm

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
andy28

I keep flip flopping. My opinion changes day to day. Sometimes hour to hour.

Right now I am thinking Montreal should consider moving a few of our more important players. Perhaps not this week. But soon. Maybe in the summer. I think this team deserves an elite player. If we can find a way to drop Gomez in the summer too, perfect.

Maybe even a deal for a high pick would be nice. We have not done anything like that in how long??? Boston was willing to trade Kessel a couple years ago. When was the last time we made a deal of that magnitude.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
It will take a lot more than the few changes your proposing.

Our Top 6 is not big, physical and talented enough... We need to keep 2 of our smallish forwards and find a real bonafide elite forward.

Our defence is better, but we need a physical shutdown defenceman and NO MORE Gill please. He's doing an honest job, but we need to find a younger player...

The main problem is the offense and right now, the core isn't good enough... plus we have nothing really coming up within the system...
So only 2 of Plekanec,Gionta and Cammalleri? Who do you keep?

I agree that we need a big,physical elite forward but I think we can win the cup with Plekanec,Gio and Cam in our top6 but Plek have to be the second line center and the skill guy we both want have to be a center

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post

Pacioretty-XXXX- XXXX
XXXX-Plekanec-Cammalleri
XXXX-XXXX- Gionta
White-XXXX-XXXX

Markov-XXXX
Subban-Gorges
Weber-Gill

Price
Auld
I added a few more X's....

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

A top 3 power forward (top 6 would help, but top 3 is what's needed)

A 3-4th line gritty player with size, like Steve Ott, David Clarkson, Chris Neil.

A physical stay-at-home defenseman.

There's probably more, but that would solve a lot of issues we're seeing today, in my humble opinion.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
missthenet

better asset management

Ribeiro, Bouillion, Robidas, Grabovski, SK, O'bryne, Dago, Halak.

What we got for these 7 players combined is 1 player playing 10 minutes a game and he has 3 goals.

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Healthy Dmen would be a great start tbh.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
It's been almost two years that the Habs have change their core, now we know the new players more and we have some good young players in the organisation. What do you think the habs need to be a contender.

This team have some hole for me next year in a perfect world I will like to see

Pacioretty-XXXX-Cammalleri
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-XXXXX
White-Halpern-XXXX

Markov-XXXX
Subban-Gorges
Weber-Gill

Price
Auld

1 st line

We absolutely need a real first line player something we don't have in Hamilton. If Gauthier have a chance to land one here he should try everything to do it. A Big center would be my number choice. Cammalleri is a first line sniper. Pacioretty is young and he would be the 3rd guy on the line.

2nd line

I like Plek and Gio but they are not 1st line player on a contender team. Plekanec is a great two-way player his defense is always great but when he struggle at offense he can't produce and feed his linemates. Gionta great second line player. AK can produce ,physical and still have some potential but he's not essential to the team. I put him there because I like him and I think Gauthier can sign him next year for cheap

3rd line

Pouliot give us some scoring depth, Give Eller some good linemate and let him progress all year at center position, find a big winger who can hit and score ugly goal in front of the goalie

4th line
A line who can hit give momentum and fight, White can do that,Halpern can win faceoff and play on the PK, find a guy who can fight and hit to play with these two

Defense I don't want to do all pair but to me Markov,Subban,Gorges and Weber have to be here next year,sign Gill he's a good room guy and he's good on the PK. Spacek will probably be back but to be a contender team I think we need a solid young top 4 D-men

Price is god

CLEAN HOUSE at the senior Management Level.

Commit to a rebuild with youth...similar to the Oilers!

Habs have been trying to do a "Patch Job" for most of the last 20-30 years...it hasn't worked!

Sure....they won 2 Cups in the past 30+ years - largely on Roy's shoulders, but Roy is no longer playing and this team needs a new direction in order to become a true contender!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
andy28

Quote:
So only 2 of Plekanec,Gionta and Cammalleri? Who do you keep?

I agree that we need a big,physical elite forward but I think we can win the cup with Plekanec,Gio and Cam in our top6 but Plek have to be the second line center and the skill guy we both want have to be a center
The thing is we are going to have to give to get. Pleks, Gio and Cammy are the kind of guys other teams would ask for when we come knocking for that big physical elite forward. If we can acquire one young, it gives us another piece. If we can trade a couple good players for an elite player I would be happy. Then I would like to see us trade to get some picks.

We are going to empty our cupboard if we keep doing patch jobs.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
Ribeiro, Bouillion, Robidas, Grabovski, SK, O'bryne, Dago, Halak.

What we got for these 7 players combined is 1 player playing 10 minutes a game and he has 3 goals.
How did the players Boston got for Dryden do ?

Yeah, exactly, mistakes are made by everyone.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
76ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
new coach new gm for starters...

it makes me so sad to think where this team would be with boucher and yzerman and the helm

We've had a bad stretch, and we're not contenders. But how can you say that? We went to the conference finals last year with the same GM and coach...

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Coldplay
Courage

It'll take a premier top 6 winger, some more bottom-6 grit, and a good first pairing defenseman, at the very least. Also, we're lacking some mobility at the back end. Guys like Spacek, Hamrlik, Gill are all showing their age, as capable as they could be, they're getting older, and slower.

Or maybe they'll surprise us and play the cards we've been dealt.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
XperHFB

Score goals.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Kirk Muller

A revamped top six with players that are less similar. Need to add size, grit and strength in the top six. Gone ideally are Gomez and AKosts, and to a lesser extent even Gionta. Gio is solid but Habs already have a shrimp in Cammalleri and Cammy is simply a better and younger player at this point.

Also, the need to get a legit front line defenseman. Markov was but injuries have all but derailed his career. Also likely need a # 3 defenseman as well.

And a revamped both six with a proper big shut down third line center who can actually contribute offensively and bottom line wingers capable of playing hockey and be physical and protect.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Tusk

Consistency of heart. Sometimes they're all heart, lots of times they aren't.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
...and to a lesser extent even Gionta.
Blasphemy.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Pascal

There's some holes.. but it all starts and is primarily dependant on the Habs somehow being able to dump Alaska Gomez to anyone willing.

Also, I always feel like people here tend to over-emphasize the team's weaknesses... every single team in the league has at least one major hole somewhere. The league is all about parity now and to be able to win the cup involves, IMO, not only a lot of skill and planning but also a lot of luck and timeliness. You need everything to align perfectly to be able to win it.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Pacioretty-Plekanec-XXXX
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX
XXXX-XXX-XXXX
White-Eller-XXXXX

Markov-Gorges