HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What will it take for the Habs to be a contender

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2011, 11:12 AM
  #101
Hot Water Bottle
Registered User
 
Hot Water Bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
They should stock up on a bunch of gritty french canadians like Pierre-Luc Leblond and Francis Lessard.

Not saying that French players have magic powers or something, but I think it is one of those intangible things. Montreal has been the cradle of French hockey since the NHL began and the club is intimately familiar to people who grew up in Quebec. The top tier French players may want to go elsewhere for tax & personal reasons but I think the colors would give a natural boost to motivated second tier players as well.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
  #102
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardsbay View Post
They should stock up on a bunch of gritty french canadians like Pierre-Luc Leblond and Francis Lessard.

Not saying that French players have magic powers or something, but I think it is one of those intangible things. Montreal has been the cradle of French hockey since the NHL began and the club is intimately familiar to people who grew up in Quebec. The top tier French players may want to go elsewhere for tax & personal reasons but I think the colors would give a natural boost to motivated second tier players as well.
I'm all for getting more francos....actually I'm amongst the more biased posters for that too...but the question is "How can we be a contender" not "How can we be a funnier team to watch....". Leblond and Lessard would probably permit us to have a few moral victories, but I prefer letting those victories to the Bruins who are more used to it than we do...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:43 AM
  #103
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
We have no offensive depth.

Not only do Habs lack offensive depth...thier 'scorers' are all streaky - they'll get hot for awhile, score in bunches and cool off.

Too amy small forwards...cannot win 1 on1 puck battles in the offensive zone...too many under productive forwards...too many long term high-end contracts.


Show me a team that consistantly finishes between the middle and the bottom of the league and I'll show you a team that consistantly drafts players that will keep them there!





Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
No dude, when a player shoots the puck he can't actually aim, and it's a roll of the dice EVERY time as to where the puck will go.

Just the same, goalies actually close their yes when pucks are shot at them.

It makes it a complete random event. I swear. And if you fail to consider that, well you're FAILING AT ANALYZING.

Granted, players are often just trying to get the puck on net.

So you don't think players are trying to pick corners at times?

Must be a lot of liars playing in the NHL.

Based on quotations of at least 2 former Habs players I can think of off the top of my head - Rocket Richard and Yvon Cournoyer - they would disagree with your premise that when a player shoots the puck he can't actually aim.

However, I could see that most, if not all the players on the Habs current roster may easily be placed under such a category!

LOL!



Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
  #104
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
I think we are not has far that some of you think, no need for a complete rebuilding even if a complete rebuilding can work. There is not only one way that can make us a contender.

A complete rebuld will not happen because we make the playoff almost every year and playoff=money.If the right move are made I think this team have the potential to be a contender in one or two years.

thst been said it's far from done yet

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
  #105
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
It's been almost two years that the Habs have change their core, now we know the new players more and we have some good young players in the organisation. What do you think the habs need to be a contender.

This team have some hole for me next year in a perfect world I will like to see

Pacioretty-XXXX-Cammalleri
Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-XXXXX
White-Halpern-XXXX

Markov-XXXX
Subban-Gorges
Weber-Gill

Price
Auld

1 st line

We absolutely need a real first line player something we don't have in Hamilton. If Gauthier have a chance to land one here he should try everything to do it. A Big center would be my number choice. Cammalleri is a first line sniper. Pacioretty is young and he would be the 3rd guy on the line.

2nd line

I like Plek and Gio but they are not 1st line player on a contender team. Plekanec is a great two-way player his defense is always great but when he struggle at offense he can't produce and feed his linemates. Gionta great second line player. AK can produce ,physical and still have some potential but he's not essential to the team. I put him there because I like him and I think Gauthier can sign him next year for cheap

3rd line

Pouliot give us some scoring depth, Give Eller some good linemate and let him progress all year at center position, find a big winger who can hit and score ugly goal in front of the goalie

4th line
A line who can hit give momentum and fight, White can do that,Halpern can win faceoff and play on the PK, find a guy who can fight and hit to play with these two


Defense I don't want to do all pair but to me Markov,Subban,Gorges and Weber have to be here next year,sign Gill he's a good room guy and he's good on the PK. Spacek will probably be back but to be a contender team I think we need a solid young top 4 D-men

Price is god
We need:

-A big center to replace Gomez. (1)
-A top-6 forward with size to replace Kostitsyn (Hartnell/Penner but the meaner the better) (2)
-Halpern as the 3rd line center, not 4th
-Rugged two way guys that can put the puck in the net with Halpern on the 3rd line. Already have White and Pouliot here (less rugged but best in a 3rd line role, also have Darche)
-More size on the 4th line, guys like Eager, Moen, Konopka (3,4)
-On defense, two bruisers that will make life miserable for the opposing team. I don't know if Mara is that guy. Right now our defense is too friendly to be a Cup contender. (5,6)

We need six guys in my opinion. We can do with 5. I'm looking at something like:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Penner - Richards - Gionta
Pouliot - Halpern - White
Moen - Konopka - Eager

Markov - Bogosian/Wisniewski
Regehr - Subban
Gill - Gorges

The guys in bold are place fillers so you see the attributes of the kind of guy I think we need. The problem on defense is 4/6 of your guys that include Markov, Subban, Gorges and Weber is way too small to contend with Philly or Boston's size. So I've subbed out Weber (making him expendable). Wisniewski can take the place of Bogosian and plays bigger than Weber (hence why I went from 6 to 5).

That would be comparable to what Boston and Philly are currently strutting.


Last edited by Ginu: 02-21-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
  #106
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Granted, players are often just trying to get the puck on net.

So you don't think players are trying to pick corners at times?

Must be a lot of liars playing in the NHL.

Based on quotations of at least 2 former Habs players I can think of off the top of my head - Rocket Richard and Yvon Cournoyer - they would disagree with your premise that when a player shoots the puck he can't actually aim.

However, I could see that most, if not all the players on the Habs current roster may easily be placed under such a category!

LOL!


Either your sarcasm detector was turn off, either you don't know the poster was referring to an earlier post...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
  #107
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,026
vCash: 500
Trade Gomez, & spacek for whatever you can get for them

Trade Kost for picks/ physical prospects (unless a deal for simmonds could be worked out)

Trade Maxwell to CGY for Kotalik + 3rd 2012

Don't focus on immediately replacing them by using up full cap space

Operate the team with a self imposed cap @~5M below actual cap

Patiently wait for the right opportunity to add key pieces (like last summer when Ladd/Buff were moved for quantity)

Cammalleri-pleks-Kotalik
Maxpac- DD- Simmonds or Upshall/glencross/??? (ufa@~3-4M)
Pouliot- Eller- Gionta
Moen- white- pyatt
Extra- Darche, palushaj, avtsin, Leblanc

Markov-subban
Gorges- Wiz or UFA @ 3.5-4.5
Hamrlik-weber
Extra- Gill or Picard

Price
Auld

Team would again be a 6-9 in the conference depending on injuries/goaltending
D and goaltending are solid, top 9 would be no worse than this year and potentially better (Cammy or Kotalik or Kost having career years, pouliot and Eller continuing to improve, DD having a breakout year...). Could also go the other way, but at least the team isn't locked into log term bad contracts to any forwards (aside from gio)... Low risk high reward


PG would have 5M+ in cap space to upgrade RW and C IF a physical clear cut top 6 upgrade became available if not, make small adjustments in 2012, and take same approach.

Patient, methodical, only adding ufa's on sub ~4M 2-3 year deals UNLESS it's a bonafide Star ( ie no more gio-cammy type guys... Paying a premium for the 'hope' that they can match a 1-2 time career year.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
  #108
Lemons
Registered User
 
Lemons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
we need ANY player who can properly perform under jacques martins system.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:45 PM
  #109
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
we need ANY player who can properly perform under jacques martins system.
Daniel Alfredsson or bust.

Had our team stayed healthy, this is a trade I think they would have made. (If he's at all available like some rumors suggest, others say he isn't)

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:47 PM
  #110
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Not only do Habs lack offensive depth...thier 'scorers' are all streaky - they'll get hot for awhile, score in bunches and cool off.

Too amy small forwards...cannot win 1 on1 puck battles in the offensive zone...too many under productive forwards...too many long term high-end contracts.


Show me a team that consistantly finishes between the middle and the bottom of the league and I'll show you a team that consistantly drafts players that will keep them there!
Scorers are always streaky, unless you're talking about superstars.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
  #111
habspinner
Registered User
 
habspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,723
vCash: 500
What we need to be a contender is some patience from the fanbase, a new coach, and yes, we absolutely need some size up front.

Buffalo is a team that is incredibly similar to us. We are playing better and have had a better year mostly because our defense is scoring, and our goalie is better than theirs this year.

But this lack of size is a real problem, and any fan who says it isn't is not seeing the forest for trees. It's not like we need massive size up front either, we could roll with a couple of small forwards but we cannot have 4 in the top six - that really is just short of foolish.

Also that bottom six needs size as well. Again, we can have some smaller players down there, but we can't, again have 3/6 players 5'10" and under - it's again, just foolish.

This is why we are a poor road team. We were a poor road team last year, and this year it is the same thing. It's not for nothing that we had such a poor December - it's the month we played our most road games. We had a good January, because like November, we played a fair amount of games at home.

Thankfully after Tuesday nights game we have two more games at home, but we are in very, very tough in the month of March as we have only 6 of 15 games at home - that is a scary thought.

You would think that southern belt trip would be something to look forward to, but it's never a sure thing when we go in there.

I really, really would be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs, I mean during this tailspin of late we haven't lost too much ground, and maybe even made some ground on Buffalo and Atlanta because they haven't exactly been blowing up the spot either.

However this team does need going forward. I mean guys I'm not sure if you noticed, but we've only scored 4 more goals as a team than the Leafs and they have one less game played, and have been shutout more than any other team in the league this year.

We have prospects that should contribute to the scoring over the next few years in Kristo, Avtsin, Leblanc, Bournival but that's it.

Obviously you are deep in rookies on the team, which is a huge plus. For years we have been clamoring for some rookies to have an impact on our team, and this year we have one making a huge impact, and 3 others contributing well.

After that you have Pouliot and Pacioretty who are two big wingers that can make a difference. These two are very young, and can certainly both hit 20 goals before the end of the year. So the future bodes well for both these players, but I do see a high possibility that if Jacques Martin remains the coach Pouliot could be traded before the beginning of next season.

The biggest problem is, and has always been at center. I love Pleks, but he needs support. That second line of Akost, Gomez and Moen does not intimidate anyone, and because of that Pleks gets the duty against other teams best defenseman and best defensive forwards. At home it's very different with last change and such.

The frustrating thing is that Gomez and Akost cannot penetrate the second pairing defense and second level defensive forwards of teams. That is a real issue, and really needs to be addressed.

I don't want to put this all on Gomez, because it isn't all about him, or even it isn't his fault. He didn't ask to be traded here, he didn't ask to be flanked by small forwards and Travis Moen. He has a responsibility obviously to play to his highest level which he hasn't but the team has to be built better.

I'll give you an example in Boston, and how their top two lines are put together, and can be because of what they have. They have Krejci flanked by Lucic, and Horton, two huge players. Krejci gets his space because of the space these two open up. Bergeron is not huge, but Marchand plays physical, as does Recchi and all three of these players are strong defensively - this works for similar reasons that our top line does.

But in the end, the size up front needs addressed, and you can't just keep picking up small forwards because that is what is available.

We're very healthy up front now, so really until the end of the year, these are the lines I would like to see:

Akost-Pleks-Cammy
Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty
White-Desharnais-Pouliot (why the heck did they split this line up??)
Eller-Halpern-Moen

That's it, that's all. Stop futzing with the lines, those 3 lines have shown consistent success for a long period of time, why change them?

And has their been a bigger failure of a line in the entire season than Aksot-Gomez + .....they say the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
  #112
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Did it ever come into play during your analysis that maybe our shots aren't going in due to lack of quality rather than lack of luck?
Considering that pretty much all shot quality arguments have been demonstrated to be either loads of crock or have such small impacts that you could not tell they were there through all the noise... no, not really.

But hey -- if you think you can make a good model for shot quality, there's 150$ in it for you: http://www.behindthenethockey.com/20...-quality-prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
This is ridiculous.

It be the case if we replaced Gomez with a superstar center, but no, a healthy Markov and Gorges and a Penner does not make us the best in the East.
I'm just going with where the Habs are now and extrapolating for the additions.

Of course, if you cling to the belief that the Habs currently are crap, then you might not believe it. But I'd suggest your argument comes from flawed premises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Failure to recognize a failure analysis? Could it be a lack of accuracy in hitting the logo instead of doing what goals' scorers do, which is picking corners?
Failure to recognize luck as an important factor in hockey indicates a suspect understanding of the game. It's really that simple, and mocking people because they recognize this is what's really laughable.

On the subject of luck (well, streakiness, really), here's a sequence by a guy you may have heard about, see if you can recognize him, tell me if you feel he is a goal-scorer, and tell me if you feel he stopped being a goal-scorer in those periods he didn't score in. For extra credit, tell me if you think that guy is streaky and tell me if you'd want him on your team.

First 22 games: 21 goals, 4.0 shots per game
Next 6 games: 0 goals, 2.8 shots per game
Next 10 games: 10 goals, 3.7 shots per game
Next 6 games: 0 goals, 3.7 shots per game
Next 7 games: 7 goals, 2.6 shots per game

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
  #113
FeelsLike93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
What we need to be a contender is some patience from the fanbase, a new coach, and yes, we absolutely need some size up front.

Buffalo is a team that is incredibly similar to us. We are playing better and have had a better year mostly because our defense is scoring, and our goalie is better than theirs this year.

But this lack of size is a real problem, and any fan who says it isn't is not seeing the forest for trees. It's not like we need massive size up front either, we could roll with a couple of small forwards but we cannot have 4 in the top six - that really is just short of foolish.

Also that bottom six needs size as well. Again, we can have some smaller players down there, but we can't, again have 3/6 players 5'10" and under - it's again, just foolish.

This is why we are a poor road team. We were a poor road team last year, and this year it is the same thing. It's not for nothing that we had such a poor December - it's the month we played our most road games. We had a good January, because like November, we played a fair amount of games at home.

Thankfully after Tuesday nights game we have two more games at home, but we are in very, very tough in the month of March as we have only 6 of 15 games at home - that is a scary thought.

You would think that southern belt trip would be something to look forward to, but it's never a sure thing when we go in there.

I really, really would be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs, I mean during this tailspin of late we haven't lost too much ground, and maybe even made some ground on Buffalo and Atlanta because they haven't exactly been blowing up the spot either.

However this team does need going forward. I mean guys I'm not sure if you noticed, but we've only scored 4 more goals as a team than the Leafs and they have one less game played, and have been shutout more than any other team in the league this year.

We have prospects that should contribute to the scoring over the next few years in Kristo, Avtsin, Leblanc, Bournival but that's it.

Obviously you are deep in rookies on the team, which is a huge plus. For years we have been clamoring for some rookies to have an impact on our team, and this year we have one making a huge impact, and 3 others contributing well.

After that you have Pouliot and Pacioretty who are two big wingers that can make a difference. These two are very young, and can certainly both hit 20 goals before the end of the year. So the future bodes well for both these players, but I do see a high possibility that if Jacques Martin remains the coach Pouliot could be traded before the beginning of next season.

The biggest problem is, and has always been at center. I love Pleks, but he needs support. That second line of Akost, Gomez and Moen does not intimidate anyone, and because of that Pleks gets the duty against other teams best defenseman and best defensive forwards. At home it's very different with last change and such.

The frustrating thing is that Gomez and Akost cannot penetrate the second pairing defense and second level defensive forwards of teams. That is a real issue, and really needs to be addressed.

I don't want to put this all on Gomez, because it isn't all about him, or even it isn't his fault. He didn't ask to be traded here, he didn't ask to be flanked by small forwards and Travis Moen. He has a responsibility obviously to play to his highest level which he hasn't but the team has to be built better.

I'll give you an example in Boston, and how their top two lines are put together, and can be because of what they have. They have Krejci flanked by Lucic, and Horton, two huge players. Krejci gets his space because of the space these two open up. Bergeron is not huge, but Marchand plays physical, as does Recchi and all three of these players are strong defensively - this works for similar reasons that our top line does.

But in the end, the size up front needs addressed, and you can't just keep picking up small forwards because that is what is available.

We're very healthy up front now, so really until the end of the year, these are the lines I would like to see:

Akost-Pleks-Cammy
Gionta-Gomez-Pacioretty
White-Desharnais-Pouliot (why the heck did they split this line up??)
Eller-Halpern-Moen
That's it, that's all. Stop futzing with the lines, those 3 lines have shown consistent success for a long period of time, why change them?

And has their been a bigger failure of a line in the entire season than Aksot-Gomez + .....they say the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
I feel the same way those line combinations give us the best chance to score goals because they've been proven working lines before.

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
  #114
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Failure to recognize luck as an important factor in hockey indicates a suspect understanding of the game. It's really that simple, and mocking people because they recognize this is what's really laughable.

On the subject of luck (well, streakiness, really), here's a sequence by a guy you may have heard about, see if you can recognize him, tell me if you feel he is a goal-scorer, and tell me if you feel he stopped being a goal-scorer in those periods he didn't score in. For extra credit, tell me if you think that guy is streaky and tell me if you'd want him on your team.

First 22 games: 21 goals, 4.0 shots per game
Next 6 games: 0 goals, 2.8 shots per game
Next 10 games: 10 goals, 3.7 shots per game
Next 6 games: 0 goals, 3.7 shots per game
Next 7 games: 7 goals, 2.6 shots per game
You can pull out all of the stats, all of the crap that you want Mathman but I don't need that or a web site to tell me that the difference between a goals' scorer and a 3rd line player shooting the puck is the fact that they have better hands, better accuracy, often a better shot and they are in a better position to shoot the puck.

While I understand that at times, luck does play a role, I refuse to be duped in thinking that skills doesn't play a bigger role. I've lived too long and I have seen too many games in those 4 decades of mine to fall for that, sorry.

The Habs are simply lacking on top end talent and on size to create room for themselves on the top 6, and a lack of willingness to get to the front of the net to pay the price on the PP.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
  #115
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
You can pull out all of the stats, all of the crap that you want Mathman but I don't need that or a web site to tell me that the difference between a goals' scorer and a 3rd line player shooting the puck is the fact that they have better hands, better accuracy, often a better shot and they are in a better position to shoot the puck.
The biggest difference between a top-6 forward and a third-liner is the ability to generate scoring chances against tougher opposition. This is why a guy like Pouliot, who has great hands, great accuracy and a great shot, is a third liner.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
While I understand that at times, luck does play a role, I refuse to be duped in thinking that skills doesn't play a bigger role. I've lived too long and I have seen too many games in those 4 decades of mine to fall for that, sorry.
40 years of confirming one's existing biases will do that, I'll grant.

I notice you didn't take my challenge about the mystery player. It's actually a pretty easy one.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:33 PM
  #116
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,153
vCash: 50
Way to much....
They will not be contenders no mater what they do this year.
Thinking of next year though:

Markov needs to come back healthy
Gorges needs to come back healthy
Montreal needs to get nastier on the 3rd and 4th lines
Montreal needs a Dustin Penner type player.
Montreal needs to get rid of Gomez, Andrei Kostitsyn and Spacek
Montreal needs to resign Wiz at a very friendly cap hit to play on the second pairing
Montreal needs to cut ties with Hamrlik, Darche, Pyatt, Gill, Mara, Halpern, Auld and Picard
Ramo to backup Price
Montreal needs to allow Eller to develop in Hamilton as did Pacioretty
Give Emelin a shot at the NHL - see what he can do - give him a out clause back to Russia

Need I go on?

Pacioretty Plekanec Cammalleri
Gionta Desharnais Penner
Pouliot ???? ?????
White ??? ???

Subban Markov
Emelin Wiz
Gorges Weber

Price
Ramo


Last edited by Mats NAslund: 02-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
  #117
Nidema
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Failure to recognize luck as an important factor in hockey indicates a suspect understanding of the game. It's really that simple, and mocking people because they recognize this is what's really laughable.

On the subject of luck (well, streakiness, really), here's a sequence by a guy you may have heard about, see if you can recognize him, tell me if you feel he is a goal-scorer, and tell me if you feel he stopped being a goal-scorer in those periods he didn't score in. For extra credit, tell me if you think that guy is streaky and tell me if you'd want him on your team.

First 22 games: 21 goals, 4.0 shots per game
Next 6 games: 0 goals, 2.8 shots per game
Next 10 games: 10 goals, 3.7 shots per game
Next 6 games: 0 goals, 3.7 shots per game
Next 7 games: 7 goals, 2.6 shots per game
That would be Steven Stamkos. Pretty sure. Didn't look it up though.

Even the best goal scorers go on streaks.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
  #118
habspinner
Registered User
 
habspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The biggest difference between a top-6 forward and a third-liner is the ability to generate scoring chances against tougher opposition. This is why a guy like Pouliot, who has great hands, great accuracy and a great shot, is a third liner.




40 years of confirming one's existing biases will do that, I'll grant.

I notice you didn't take my challenge about the mystery player. It's actually a pretty easy one.
The "mystery" player is not too hard to figure out - it's too bad Barry Melrose had such a hard time figuring him out.

Interesting to see though that Cammy and Stamkos have similar streakiness to them. They have very similar shots, everything else Stamkos is vastly superior, espcially in the finding space category.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
  #119
Swe_hab
Registered User
 
Swe_hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kent, USA and Skelleftea, Sweden
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Way to much....
They will not be contenders no mater what they do this year.
Thinking of next year though:

Markov needs to come back healthy
Gorges needs to come back healthy
Montreal needs to get nastier on the 3rd and 4th lines
Montreal needs a Dustin Penner type player.
Montreal needs to get rid of Gomez, Andrei Kostitsyn and Spacek
Montreal needs to resign Hamrlik at a very friendly cap hit to play on the second pairing
Montreal needs to cut ties with Darche, Pyatt, Gill, Mara, Halpern, Auld and Picard
Ramo to backup Price
Montreal needs to allow Eller to develop in Hamilton as did Pacioretty
Give Emelin a shot at the NHL - see what he can do - give him a out clause back to Russia

Need I go on?

Pacioretty Plekanec Cammalleri
Gionta Desharnais Penner
Pouliot ???? ?????
White ??? ???

Subban Markov
Emelin Hamrlik
Gorges Weber

Price
Ramo
G'ah! Penner will not be the savior you guys are making him out to be. He had a decent season point-wise last year, but he's averaging around 40 points a year.

Also: You really do believe that Ramo is willing to come here and be Price's back-up? Please do keep in mind that by being Price's back-up you will play somewhere between 10-15 games a season barring an injury.

Swe_hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
  #120
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The biggest difference between a top-6 forward and a third-liner is the ability to generate scoring chances against tougher opposition. This is why a guy like Pouliot, who has great hands, great accuracy and a great shot, is a third liner.




40 years of confirming one's existing biases will do that, I'll grant.

I notice you didn't take my challenge about the mystery player. It's actually a pretty easy one.
No one is denying luck exists. You're just taking it way beyond reality. This team hasn't been able to score in years. Where's the Habs 20 game goal scoring streak, luck usually balances out, it's no longer luck when it is happening to you over and over and over again.

Stamkos

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
  #121
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,153
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_hab View Post
G'ah! Penner will not be the savior you guys are making him out to be. He had a decent season point-wise last year, but he's averaging around 40 points a year.

Also: You really do believe that Ramo is willing to come here and be Price's back-up? Please do keep in mind that by being Price's back-up you will play somewhere between 10-15 games a season barring an injury.
I think Penner is a good fit. He's what Montreal is lacking. Big Physical can score and plays in front of the net on the PP. Granted he's not as consistent as one would like him to be but otherwise he fits the bill.

On the Ramo front, yes I do believe he'd come to play in Montreal.
Ramo is a more capable goalie then Auld and Montreal would have the luxury of playing him 20 times a year. I think Price would benefit from playing 60 to 65 and no more. If Price played 65 games it would give Ramo 17 which is a good balance and enough for Ramo to show himself to the rest of the league.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:29 PM
  #122
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,256
vCash: 500
For the Habs to be a contender...just get Brian Burke as our GM, look what he has done for the Leafs the past 3 seasons...yup, that should do it...

Honestly guys, we would have needed almost no injuries this year to be considered a contender....all things considered, we are in a slump right now, but to date, it hasn't all been bad, it could be worse, see the Leafs, and how about the Sens...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
  #123
Swe_hab
Registered User
 
Swe_hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kent, USA and Skelleftea, Sweden
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I think Penner is a good fit. He's what Montreal is lacking. Big Physical can score and plays in front of the net on the PP. Granted he's not as consistent as one would like him to be but otherwise he fits the bill.

On the Ramo front, yes I do believe he'd come to play in Montreal.
Ramo is a more capable goalie then Auld and Montreal would have the luxury of playing him 20 times a year. I think Price would benefit from playing 60 to 65 and no more. If Price played 65 games it would give Ramo 17 which is a good balance and enough for Ramo to show himself to the rest of the league.
Does very much sound like a player already on our team, which by the way probably will have something like 1,5-2 mil less of a cap-hit next season. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I dunno about Ramo's contract situation in KHL, but my guess is that he'd have to take quite the pay-cut in order to serve as Price's back-up.

Swe_hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
  #124
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Blaming the Habs lack of scoring on luck (which I'm not sure how one could objectively define that as it applies to a hockey game) would be like crediting the Canucks goal scoring to luck.

The Canucks shoot less per game than the Habs, and score more than any team in the league. That does not mean they have better luck, and that the puck is bouncing their way. Watch how they play tomorrow, and notice how many different ways they generate shots and scoring chances. They do it off the rush, off of dumping and chasing, cycling, jam plays, from the points, second chances off of rebounds, and off the power play.

How many ways do the Habs honestly generate shots and scoring chances from? The power play is one, off the rush is the other, and that's about it. The goal that Halpern scored against Edm is any example of what they need more of. Net drive, and knocking pucks in from within 3 feet. Another example is the Habs 2nd goal against NYI where White won a battle behind the net, and passed out it to Pouliot for the goal. But those plays are so few and far between over the course of a season, it's not a mystery why this team has trouble scoring.

That's why they rely on speed and transition off of sound positional defense to generate offense because it's one of the few ways they are able to do so. That's why teams key in on neutralizing the Habs' speed, and the Habs end up getting shut out or unable to score enough to win games that they would otherwise be able to. Over the years what team neutralizes team speed better than the Devils? What team owns the Habs? Not much to do with Brodeur. That's why the Habs can beat teams that play like they do (Wash, Pitt, NYR, Buff) and struggle against teams like Philly, NJ, and Florida.

Sure they are shooting a lot, but it's mostly shots from inside the blue line or off the boards that are not going to beat NHL goalies. Gionta does that all the time, which is great because the puck should be on net as much as possible, but the Habs don't have enough bodies willing or able to get to loose pucks around the net. It would require luck for those shots to go in, but NHL goalies cut angles and challenge so they can deflect pucks into the corners or suck them into their equipment.

The key for the franchise going forward is to construct a team that can generate offense more than 2 or 3 ways, and can win more than 2 or 3 ways. Right now the Habs rely on special teams, defense, and goaltending to win. They can't win when the game gets physical, when it opens up or when they need to dump and chase (like yesterday), but the elite teams can. That's why there are really only 4 - 6 elite teams in the league every year. Those teams can adapt to their opponent, and win a game playing outside of their comfort zone.

The Habs are closer to becoming elite than they are further away, but as a management group they need to diversify the make up of player personnel. The team right now is built on speed/skill, but lacks size/toughness/grit, and mobility on defense. They need to find a balance in all those areas, just like Van, Det, Phi, Bos all have, instead of loading up in 1 or 2 areas.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:59 PM
  #125
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Granted, players are often just trying to get the puck on net.

So you don't think players are trying to pick corners at times?

Must be a lot of liars playing in the NHL.

Based on quotations of at least 2 former Habs players I can think of off the top of my head - Rocket Richard and Yvon Cournoyer - they would disagree with your premise that when a player shoots the puck he can't actually aim.

However, I could see that most, if not all the players on the Habs current roster may easily be placed under such a category!

LOL!


Did you really not catch the sarcasm?

The part when I said goalies close their eyes when pucks are shot at them wasn't a big enough clue ?

E = CH² is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.