HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franzen hasn't scored in 9 straight

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Filppula
Jurks

vCash: 500
Franzen hasn't scored in 9 straight

Since his 5 goal outburst on February 2nd against Ottawa, Franzen has gone goalless in 9 straight.

I know he's streaky, but that's a long stretch without a goal. What do you put it down to; not working hard enough since his 5 goal game? Or is it merely bad luck? In a very good sign though, the Wings have gone 6-3 during this stretch, so imagine what will happen when the Mule finally starts finding the back of the net. Bertuzzi has stepped up whilst Franzen has gone cold.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

He's had some chances but he's streaky, just like any goal scorer.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

He's saving it all for the playoffs. I'm fine with that.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

It's not like Franzen isn't getting chances/working hard though. As long as he's playing well, and we're getting our goals somehow, I don't care if it comes from him or someone else.

Besides, we all know he can score in the playoffs which is when it really matters

Old
02-20-2011, 10:36 PM
canadianwingnut

He does it on purpose. With Datsyuk and Cleary back, it's time for him to sit back a bit. Just a theory. As long as pucks are being put in the net, that's what counts.

Old
02-20-2011, 11:00 PM
TheOtherOne

If he goes 9 goalless in the playoffs that's when I'll be concerned.

Old
02-20-2011, 11:18 PM
19 for president

vCash: 562
Franzen's regular season play reminds me a lot of Feds in that he really doesn't seem to care about the regular season. He has a very rare skillset for a big man that would allow him to flat out dominate the new NHL, but I just don't see that elite desire in him to push him to that level. His reason for this take it easy persona however isn't the same as Feds. I genuinely think he doesn't want to be the man or be in the spotlight. This was even reported about him back in when he was in Sweden. He has always had the skill but the desire to be the best/ famous just isn't there like it is in a Datsyuk or Yzerman. I think thats one of the reasons he took a long term deal with the Wings, but at a fairly low rate. 4 mil a season for a guy that could easily score 40 goals a season is remarkable. He likes being on a team like the Wings where they will always have a Dats or a Z to be the team figurehead. Now with that said I'm not trying to imply that he is lazy, but rather that he likes being in the background when he can. Its quite obvious however that he likes to win and will step up when his team needs him. A guy that can dominate the playoffs like he does however, should by all means be even more dominate in the regular season (unless he has some lingering injury we don't know of, like Z's back).

Old
02-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
Trade him. He's washed up.
Franzen for Lilja and a bag of pucks.

Make it happen, Kenny.

Old
02-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Franzen just hasn't played with a lot o confidence this year. He's been having a lot of trouble finishing this season.Yah he had his 5 goal game, but I think we can all agree that's an anomaly. He's had amazing chances, i just don't get what his deal is. Hopefully he's saving it for the layoffs

Old
02-21-2011, 12:13 AM
TheOtherOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
Franzen just hasn't played with a lot o confidence this year. He's been having a lot of trouble finishing this season.Yah he had his 5 goal game, but I think we can all agree that's an anomaly. He's had amazing chances, i just don't get what his deal is. Hopefully he's saving it for the layoffs
It's not that much of an anomaly. I mean, sure, 5 goal games don't come around too often. But if someone was going to have one, it was most definitely going to be Franzen.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
Trade him. He's washed up.
Cool post dude.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:53 AM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

vCash: 542
It's late and this idea might not make much sense but...whatabout Franzen on 2nd pp unit and have him just rip shots...kinda like what stammer does on tampa

ehhh probably bad idea nvm lol

Old
02-21-2011, 01:58 AM
joe89

I'm more shocked there has already been 9 matches since that Ottawa game..

Old
02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Franzen's play has been inconsistent stretching back to last year's playoffs, when, even through he produced points on a consistent basis, his play was often awful or uninspired. Then he'd produce a monster game and everyone would think he was a god.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I'm more shocked there has already been 9 matches since that Ottawa game..
Me too.
He has 3 assists and is +4. Goalscorers are usually streaky. But as long as the line is working, I am not worried. Bertuzzi has been hot and the line is producing.
BTW, I do not think the Wings players are giving their 100% every night. Maybe Datsyuk and Cleary, but that's about it.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:45 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devereaux View Post
Franzen for Lilja and a bag of pucks.

Make it happen, Kenny.
Well. If that bag goes through Anaheim or somehow through Philly. Send security guards with that thing.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:51 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Franzen is too streaky for my taste that's for sure.

Old
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
When someone makes this thread in the playoffs I'll worry. But the regular season isn't where I care if Franzen is producing.

And even if he doesn't look 'great' or 'magical' in the playoffs, I want to see production instead of just hardwork with not much to show for it.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:40 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Franzen is earning his money in the playoffs but let's be honest, he's streaky there too. It's like the wheel of fortune that could decide between the Wings going golfing in early May or us watching the Wings wearing shorts and with meat on the grill.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:04 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
When someone makes this thread in the playoffs I'll worry. But the regular season isn't where I care if Franzen is producing.

And even if he doesn't look 'great' or 'magical' in the playoffs, I want to see production instead of just hardwork with not much to show for it.
I'm not talking about looking great or magical, but it's good of you to use quotes to try to denigrate my point.
I'm talking about looking interested or inspired.
Because while you might take a bunch of secondary assists as production, I'll gladly take the
bust-your-ass shifts by Darren Helm, Henrik Zetterberg or Pavel Datsyuk.

Winning shifts is how you win playoff series.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Roy S

Most goal scorers are going to be considered streaky b/c its not like players can consistently get a goal every 2 or so games. There will be stretches where they get goals in bunches and then there will be stretches where they can't buy a goal. At one time in the season, Eaves had 7 goals in a 9 game stretch. But, that didn't predict anything going forward. He's got 1 goal in his last 18 games as his season numbers have slowly reverted back to career norms.

Breaking things down into a small small of games is going to reveal a lot of odd goal scoring periods for pretty much every player in the NHL. Steven Stamkos is the leading scorer in the NHL and he has had two 6 game droughts where he didn't score a goal, and he is working on a 5 game drought right now.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Alpha190

God, sometimes I really get annoyed with my fellow Wings fans. The team is winning and playing good. The defense is looking solid again and Howard is playing great. But people still have to find something to complain about.

OP gets the Debbie Downer award of the month.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:55 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Am I the only one who doesn't see the "disinterested" play of Franzen?

Franzen's two penalties yesterday were a direct result of him being aggressive in the offensive zone.

Old
02-21-2011, 03:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see the "disinterested" play of Franzen?

Franzen's two penalties yesterday were a direct result of him being aggressive in the offensive zone.
Yeah, to be honest, I have seen him be tougher on the boards lately. Wonder if having Bert on his line boosts the courage a little bit. My respect for him would go up 10-fold if he'd use that 6'3 frame to hit some people out there.
There's only so much love a man can have for a wrist shot.

Old
02-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Yeah, to be honest, I have seen him be tougher on the boards lately. Wonder if having Bert on his line boosts the courage a little bit. My respect for him would go up 10-fold if he'd use that 6'3 frame to hit some people out there.
There's only so much love a man can have for a wrist shot.
If he was as proportionally as strong on his skates as Datsyuk, he'd be a monster. He does dish out the occasional hit, but I'm less interested in that. He's too injury prone as it is, I prefer he stay away from entangling himself in those kinds of situations.

Closed Thread