HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Trade Proposal/Rumours/FA Talk - TRADE DEADLINE VERSION

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapy View Post
Just something about the B.Schenn love here.

You can blame Burke for that. That year we were doing really bad; but Burke decided to bring in Martin Gerber (goalie) because he wanted to sell tikets to the fans. We finished strong that year and got the 7th overall pick;we might've finished 3rd overall that year if we didn't get Gerber and we would've gotten Duechene instead of Kadri. Or you could've used that pick for B.Schenn.
Any GM that purposefully causes his team to lose a season to acquire a higher draft pick would have zero credibility among his peers, and would not deserve any either.

New Jersey could very easily have given up on the season but they look like David against Goliath in continuing to attempt to make the playoffs.

That's a sign of a team that has what it takes to win. Even when you get down, you're never out.

Lamenting about getting Duschene at the expense of actually trying to win is not a winning attitude.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:22 PM
67Cup

On the radio thread of the Marlies games, the sound stays live during the commercial breaks. One of the announcers said to the other, "Brian Burke says he is working on a trade for a defenceman and may have one by tomorrow.'

FWIW

Old
02-21-2011, 01:23 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Any GM that purposefully causes his team to lose a season to acquire a higher draft pick would have zero credibility among his peers, and would not deserve any either.

New Jersey could very easily have given up on the season but they look like David against Goliath in continuing to attempt to make the playoffs.

That's a sign of a team that has what it takes to win. Even when you get down, you're never out.

Lamenting about getting Duschene at the expense of actually trying to win is not a winning attitude.
Agree with you there. Tanking is one the most ridiculous attitudes you can possess.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Based on just one good year I don't see him doing better than $2.5 which is still a big jump. We don't know how much confidance the club has in his ability to repeat. If he does get dealt, it may be due to that lack of confidance (and Nik Hagman) rather than a change in Burke's building plan. Looking at his previous seasons shooting percentage and points vs ice time I think Mac is for real although not sure if he has much potential for growth.
He was awarded $2.4 million in arbitration last year while playing less stellar hockey, which Atlanta walked away from. Watching him play all season, he seems like he is maturing as a player (and he's only 25) and is starting to produce on a consistent basis; he is gritty, skates well, has decent vision and great chemistry with Grabovski and Kulemin. We must have the best and cheapest 2nd line in the NHL with that line (although it's been playing like a 1st line). He was a ppg player in junior and some of that ability is translating into the NHL. So, I still think he'll command more than $2.5 million but less than $3 million per year.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
On the radio thread of the Marlies games, the sound stays live during the commercial breaks. One of the announcers said to the other, "Brian Burke says he is working on a trade for a defenceman and may have one by tomorrow.'

FWIW
Thanks for this. I'm eager to see who Burke gets and what the price is.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
It's funny you say a friend says how good he is... My Friend who is a die hard SJ fan was sooo happy when he was traded because of his lack of physicality, shot accuracy, defensive play, hockey iq and pure grit. Ask ur nuck buddy how he likes his play, playing 1st line minutes right now... i guarantee he will tell you he has fallin off a bit and has been exposed frequently and often. When he was playing as a 5th D-man being Hamhuis, Ballard, Bieksa and Edler i admit he was good but thats because he saw the 3rd and 4th liners and played 15min a night. Now he is playing against 1st liners and averaging 22+ min a night due to all the injuries and he is being exposed as an average D-man.

If you have doubts go to the Nuck board and ask how Erhoff has played recently they will tell you.
.. Or we can come here and tell you.

Ehrhoff was never our "#5 defenseman". He played all season on the top offensive pairing alongside Edler with the Sedins & Burrows & on our 1st unit PP w/Kesler. He never played sheltered minutes or '15 minutes per night'.

You are so out to lunch that you'll be late for dinner.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
jonas640 Jonas Siegel
Burke: "We're trying to add by tomorrow if we can. We're trying to put a player in the lineup who can help up as soon as possible."

I'm trying to skyrocket the Goligoski rumours.
Will likely take a considerable cost to get Goligoski.

Especially if the rumor of a James Neal trade is true, the Leafs can't beat that (well they theoretically could, but realistically would not).

Old
02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post

FWIW
Bunch of people saying that on twitter. Probably to replace Lebda full time

Old
02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Listening to Marlies game, just heard this

"Brian Burke says he's working on something, says he may have a defenseman by tomorrow"
what teams are selling?

did he drop any hints on what type of player or team(s) he's talking too?

Old
02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
67Cup

Again during the commercial break, McGill speculates it's the third rounder from PHA in play

Old
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Itd be sick to get Gogo to replace Kaberle but I doubt that'll happen. Id give a ton to get him with Schenner

Old
02-21-2011, 01:34 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelTufnel View Post
I'm really not trying to be rude, but that is completely insane. If they're going to score the same amount of points, or thereabouts, as you said, then we should look at the other things they bring to a team. Kessel brings nothing else other than the points he scores, that it, he's the very definition of a one-dimensional player. Brown is a leader, plays strong defensively, hits like a truck, forechecks better, etc. He's also only 3 years older, not some over the hill vet.
So I very much disagree that it would be a swap in name only.

I understand what you're saying about finding some stability, and I'll admit that's a concern for me, but as I said players like Brown (and schenn too if he meets his potential) are my personal preference so I'd be OK with a little bit more turnover if it meant getting one or both of those guys.

Also, nowhere did I ever say that Kadri has 1/3 the value of Schenn. I very clearly stated that I was going on the basis that LA is not motivated to move Schenn AT ALL and to get him would take an overpayment.

I also, of course, realize that Luke and Brayden play different positions, but so did the Niedermayers and that worked out OK
You're right, sorry. You said Kadri is 1/2, not 1/3. The roosterman said 1/3.

No, sorry, still think that is overpayment for no benefit.

As for Brown, he has 3 more years experience than Kessel.

Since the All-star break, Kessel has improved on his defensive responsibilities and has started being more physical in the corners.

Remember the game against Boston where he scored 2 goals? He was outmuscling Zdeno Chara of all people for the puck.

Give him 3 more years to develop that skillset and then you won't have any other difference for Kessel over Brown other than the leadership. And I don't want to pretend Kessel will ever take on that role, but the Leafs already have a leadership core on this team in Phaneuf and Armstrong.

Calgary ousted Phaneuf because of the leadership circle Phaneuf was creating interfering with the team chemistry and the leadership circle that Iginla had.

Why would you try and recreate that situation in Toronto? We have a clearly defined leadership nucleus developing, so I don't see a reason to supplant what is already there.

Also listing an example of a successful brother tandem is not evidence that it is a statistically viable model.

Did Eric Staal need brother Jordan to win a Cup, or vice-versa? Is Carolina doing much better with the 4th Staal brother than without?

Lots of other brothers in the NHL through there years, had success on seperate teams.

Show me a statistical markup showing that production actually increases on the same team than off it and I will cede the point. But don't simply list examples like they are customer satisfaction quotes.

Last edited by indigobuffalo: 02-21-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old
02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Ritzie

Stastny's name has been thrown around and it got me thinking. He definitely fits the profile of the player BB would like to add and seems like a player who could be moved considering his salary and Avs apparent retooling. Duchene's new contract won't be cheap and I believe the organization is bleeding money at the moment.

To Col: 1st Rd pick, McKegg, Bozak
To Tor: Stastny

I've always been of the opinion that Kadri should be kept and developed, not traded away. In fact, I said earlier that I believed Kadri wasn't going anywhere, however.......

What if something could be finessed in the off-season with Philly around a Kadri for JVR swap. Other pieces would obviously have to be in play. Philly will have cap issues next year, so some salary coming back to the Leafs in the deal.

JVR Stastny Kessel
Kuli Grabo Lupul
Mac Colborne (if ready) Army
Brown Brent Orr

Really like that line-up.
Could be a contender for years.
Colborne can jump into the 2 C spot if he progresses as expected.

Kadri with 1G 1A so far this aft for the Marlies. LOL
It would be tough to part with this kid. i think he will have a very good NHL career. I think JVR just adds some size on the wing that is desperately needed.

Bring it.....

Old
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
what teams are selling?

did he drop any hints on what type of player or team(s) he's talking too?
Sorry mate, that was essentially word for word.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Enemy

Chuck?

Old
02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
NigelTufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
You're right, sorry. You said Kadri is 1/2, not 1/3. The roosterman said 1/3.

No, sorry, still think that is overpayment for no benefit.

As for Brown, he has 3 more years experience than Kessel.

Since the All-star break, Kessel has improved on his defensive responsibilities and has started being more physical in the corners.

Remember the game against Boston where he scored 2 goals? He was outmuscling Zdeno Chara of all people for the puck.

Give him 3 more years to develop that skillset and then you won't have any other difference for Kessel over Brown other than the leadership. And I don't want to pretend Kessel will ever take on that role, but the Leafs already have a leadership core on this team in Phaneuf and Armstrong.

Calgary ousted Phaneuf because of the leadership circle Phaneuf was creating interfering with the team chemistry and the leadership circle that Iginla had.

Why would you try and recreate that situation in Toronto? We have a clearly defined leadership nucleus developing, so I don't see a reason to supplant what is already there.

Also listing an example of a successful brother tandem is not evidence that it is a statistically viable model.

Did Eric Staal need brother Jordan to win a Cup, or vice-versa? Is Carolina doing much better with the 4th Staal brother than without?

Lots of other brothers in the NHL through there years, had success on seperate teams.

Show me a statistical markup showing that production actually increases on the same team than off it and I will cede the point. But don't simply list examples like they are customer satisfaction quotes.
Man, I'm never going to agree with you about any of this, so why don't we just let it go.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Burke - Zach Parise

Is there any chance Burke could make a deal for Zach Parise, knowing that NJ is having cap issues.

This is the type of player that could do very well in Toronto and we could really use him!

What would it take to get him here? Both 2011, 1st rounders? Maybe NJ would simply not deal him...

What do you guys think?

Old
02-21-2011, 01:59 PM
BlueBomber76

Would rather have Zajac.

Old
Beleafer4

Mac + 1st + 3rd for goligoski

Or

Mac + 2 1st for B. Schenn

Statsny is impossible. This guy is
So underrated it hurts.

Old
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
Is there any chance Burke could make a deal for Zach Parise, knowing that NJ is having cap issues.

This is the type of player that could do very well in Toronto and we could really use him!

What would it take to get him here? Both 2011, 1st rounders? Maybe NJ would simply not deal him...

What do you guys think?
A lot more than what you're suggesting.

If you talk to NJ fans they suggest that they aren't having cap issues after this season.

Old
SprDaVE

No chance

Old
dubey
~manlets~

haha

2 first rounders for Parise? Keep dreaming

Devils would be incredibly stupid not to do everything they can to keep him.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Yeaaah, no chance. Id bet my house he stays in NJ. Even if he goes, hes not coming here

Old
rusty kneecapp

ESPN ran an article earlier this year about New Jersey's cap problems.
They said they'll have no problem keeping him.

In the next four years though they owe a first round draft pick because they were penalized in the kovy contract. Their pick will be high this year I doubt they'll choose it. Parise could get 2 draft picks maybe they'll want to use him to get the one they owe.

Old
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber76 View Post
Would rather have Zajac.
Wow...

Closed Thread