HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eklund trade rumour thread v4.0: 'Dude where's my trade' edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Eller looks a lot like young Plekanec 4-5 years ago. Potential, hard-working, but disoriented more often than not (regardless of minutes/linemates). I'm talking just how they play and look on the ice.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:21 PM
RE-HABS

Eller has looked so good in the past 3 games, it is a look into the future in what he could be. Once he puts some weight on that frame he will be a lot better, he has the tools and the brains, needs the body to fill out to complement the game.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Eller any day of the week over Desy. Kid is going to be a monster when he hits his prime. Not that I don't like desharnais, I just really feel that eller is going to be that good. Can't wait to see him after he bulks up a bit this summer.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
You can't question Eller's work ethic. That said, I don't know if he will ever be more than a good 3rd or 4th line player. He doesn't have the hands to be a goal scorer. DD has the better hands for goals and a better passer. Eller works a little harder. 13 points 6G/7A for DD in 22 games, 4 minutes in penalties and is a +4. 10 points for Eller 3G/7A in 56 games, 30 minutes in penalties and is a -4. DD is on a way better pace. Yeah, Eller is a little younger. Its a tough call.
Three years in a players' development is huge. Just look at what one year did to Pacioretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Eller looks a lot like young Plekanec 4-5 years ago. Potential, hard-working, but disoriented more often than not (regardless of minutes/linemates). I'm talking just how they play and look on the ice.
I've been saying that all year. Eller reminds me of Plekanec when he started in the NHL. Good work ethics, good skater, flashes of brilliance but inconsistent. Let's give him time.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Stradale

Eller has all the tools, with size and good attitude. He will succeed for sure in the NHL.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Seriously? Lol.

Their NEEDS are on defense. They have no depth at that position. ZERO. What they do have is 5 pending UFA's, (a 36 year old, signed Spacek) and two guys coming off serious knee surgery. That's why Nash is the 1st call up, and a 5th rd pick is traded for Paul Mara.
Going into a dmen-filled UFA summer. That doesn't change OTHER needs.

Quote:
Have they replaced any of the depth on defense they've lost this season and through trades?
Wiz, Mara, Weber. Which leads to think they will deal with the top 6 on D this summer.

Again, that doesn't eliminate the other needs the team has. Notice how, contrarily to the other poster, I switched Tinordi for Weber, because we have 3 righties who are similar (Weber, Wiz and Subban). We will need to make choices in their case. This would part of those choices.

Quote:
Nope.
Well, no. As shown above they answered some needs in the short-term. In all probability, Markov will sign back here rather than somewhere else. Gorges, still RFA, so still part of the theorized roster for next season. So you still have a probable roster of Markov, Gorges, Subban, Spacek and Weber. The July market offers plenty of opportunities to fill this gap.

Quote:
Will trading another NHL ready defenseman and a 1st rd pick who they'd probably use to draft another defenseman, help? Nope.
Yes, because we do need to strenghten the overall talent level of our 4 centermen. Again, you totally disregard that your 'NHL ready dmen' is quite similar to two other players on the team playing the same position on the same side.

Quote:
So if the bright idea is to trade more 4 - 5 pieces for a UFA who probably won't re-sign in a city he probably won't have his NTC to come to anyway, that is a brave way to go.
No, my idea is to have him signed or else you don't make the trade. I have already mentioned that. Not only you falsely preclude for me that I would make the trade without an extention of contract, you exagerate the price I'm willing to pay. The sacrifice would be 3 pieces as Richards upgrades on Gomez, which also compensates a good part of those 3 pieces, which are, a PM small righthanded Dmen (which we already have two of) an unproven 2nd round pick college player, and a 1st round pick.

It's not the end of the world like your pedantic exageration makes it look.

Quote:
This is a move the Bruins or Kings should make because they have the cap,
LMAO. Habs have the cap space for Richards without even needing to trade Gomez. Put AK instead of Gomez, and we'd still be okay, as Spacek is almost likely to hit the LTIR, which will then take Wiz's cap space, liberating Markov's cap space once again. I don't know if your good in maths, but that's about a 2 mil difference with Richards's cap space.

Quote:
they can survive parting with 4 - 5 pieces, and not miss a beat. The Canadiens' are not in that position.
Habs are indeed in that position if you're thinking of next season, as your mention of the coming UFAs the Habs have has clearly showed. Again, you exagerate the number and make the assets look like they are part of our present, when only Weber and Gomez are. That's not 4-5 pieces, it's TWO. Two for one, Richards. Again, Weber is something we already have two folds.

As for the future, we're as much in a good position as them. I don't see any great Dmen coming for Boston in the near future, it is something that is eluding them, while the Habs, are fully loaded in that department, while still having some very good depth upfront.

You clearly have the G.A.G.E. syndrometm

Old
02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Wiz, Mara, Weber. Which leads to think they will deal with the top 6 on D this summer.

Again, that doesn't eliminate the other needs the team has. Notice how, contrarily to the other poster, I switched Tinordi for Weber, because we have 3 righties who are similar (Weber, Wiz and Subban). We will need to make choices in their case. This would part of those choices.

Well, no. As shown above they answered some needs in the short-term. In all probability, Markov will sign back here rather than somewhere else. Gorges, still RFA, so still part of the theorized roster for next season. So you still have a probable roster of Markov, Gorges, Subban, Spacek and Weber. The July market offers plenty of opportunities to fill this gap.

Yes, because we do need to strenghten the overall talent level of our 4 centermen. Again, you totally disregard that your 'NHL ready dmen' is quite similar to two other players on the team playing the same position on the same side.

No, my idea is to have him signed or else you don't make the trade. I have already mentioned that. Not only you falsely preclude for me that I would make the trade without an extention of contract, you exagerate the price I'm willing to pay. The sacrifice would be 3 pieces as Richards upgrades on Gomez, which also compensates a good part of those 3 pieces, which are, a PM small righthanded Dmen (which we already have two of) an unproven 2nd round pick college player, and a 1st round pick.

LMAO. Habs have the cap space for Richards without even needing to trade Gomez. Put AK instead of Gomez, and we'd still be okay, as Spacek is almost likely to hit the LTIR, which will then take Wiz's cap space, liberating Markov's cap space once again. I don't know if your good in maths, but that's about a 2 mil difference with Richards's cap space.

Habs are indeed in that position if you're thinking of next season, as your mention of the coming UFAs the Habs have has clearly showed. Again, you exagerate the number and make the assets look like they are part of our present, when only Weber and Gomez are. That's not 4-5 pieces, it's TWO. Two for one, Richards. Again, Weber is something we already have two folds.

As for the future, we're as much in a good position as them. I don't see any great Dmen coming for Boston in the near future, it is something that is eluding them, while the Habs, are fully loaded in that department, while still having some very good depth upfront.

loaded on D ?? we have TWO under contract for next season and maybe Carle who could make the jump from the Dogs. That's pretty far from being loaded.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:49 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Three years in a players' development is huge. Just look at what one year did to Pacioretty.

I've been saying that all year. Eller reminds me of Plekanec when he started in the NHL. Good work ethics, good skater, flashes of brilliance but inconsistent. Let's give him time.
Eller has looked real sharp. I'm not sure what it is but with Andrei and Moen, it was one of my favorite line. They banged, droves the net, lay the body and score a beauty of a goal....maybe my favorite goal this year!!!

Old
02-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
loaded on D ?? we have TWO under contract for next season and maybe Carle who could make the jump from the Dogs. That's pretty far from being loaded.
Subban, Weber, Carle, Tinordi, Nash, Bennet...

If you re-read, you'll notice that I was talking of prospects, as the mention of "I don't see any great Dmen coming for Boston in the near future, it is something that is eluding them" should've hinted to this, added to the mention of "being in a good position for the Future". Funny how you skipped the whole text to collate your reply to the last part of my quote, while in the middle of my quote I mention this :

"In all probability, Markov will sign back here rather than somewhere else. Gorges, still RFA, so still part of the theorized roster for next season. So you still have a probable roster of Markov, Gorges, Subban, Spacek and Weber. The July market offers plenty of opportunities to fill this gap."

If you have nothing else better to do than misread me or just read the end of my responses, just don't read me at all.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Habit11

Quote:
I never said anything about the Bruins' defense. I said that they and the Kings, for example, have the pieces and cap space to make a deal without hampering their future. The Habs' only have cap space, they lack depth in picks, and prospects, especially on defense. The Habs' don't have the Leafs 1st round pick or a Brayden Schenn on the farm. The Bruins' and Kings' in this instance would be dealing from a position of strength whereas the Habs' would be dealing from a position of weakness. I'd prefer they deal from a position of strength because the last time they dealt from weakness the Habs' ended up with the center you are currently trying to upgrade. Granted, it's an upgrade, but right now it would be like upgrading the wheels on a car that's already missing parts in it's engine.

I think the Habs' main need going forward is on defense. UFA route guarantees nothing. Right now, I see they have signed two rookies, an aging vet, and two guys with bad knees on D (if Markov comes back) vs. 4 NHL centers already on the team (not including Halpern) and signed next year. That's my opinion. You think their need is at center, agree to disagree.

I don't have a problem with the team giving up assets. None at all. I just disagree with the one proposed for the reasons I've laid out. If the Habs' can solidify their defense in the off-season, and add some depth to the farm, and then want to make a move like this, I'd say go for it. As of today, that's not the case.

Obviously, a signed Brad Richards changes things, but as of right now he's not signed, and a signed Brad Richards is going to cost the Habs' a deal that includes Max Pac or PK to start. Think back to what the Lightning wanted for Lecavalier, and then see if your proposal matches up. Unless of course, you are saying that they trade and hope they sign him, but that would be foolish.

And for future I'd suggest you reduce the condescending tone, it's unnecessary, especially when we have ZERO control over what happens. You can also cut all the name calling b s , again unnecessary, and does little to prove your point or disprove the point of someone else.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:21 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Apart from Subban there's not a whole lot to get excited about in that list. Hardly loaded.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
And for future I'd suggest you reduce the condescending tone, it's unnecessary, especially when we have ZERO control over what happens. You can also cut all the name calling b s , again unnecessary, and does little to prove your point or disprove the point of someone else.
It doesn't have to do with what happens with the team, sigh.. rather your poor reading skills and habit of exagerating and arguing over false premises. The day you'll be able to simply not do these things, you'll be able to suggest whatever you want to me, but until then, you can keep that to yourself. What you do not understand is that what you did is as much a sign of disrespect as any 'condescending tone' there could be over a text... How can one prove 'tone' over a text when it is a sound? All you read was me explaining to you how badly you misinterpreted and exagerated what I said. It's easy to paint that any way you want, but the truth is you were the one showing disrespect and then cry out after I showed the dishonesty in what you did.

The name calling is Grass Always Greener Elsewhere syndrome. You have it, deal with it.

It's no more harmful then calling someone a cheerleader or a troll.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Apart from Subban there's not a whole lot to get excited about in that list. Hardly loaded.
You don't need one coming up every year either.

Subban already fills a big enough hole, Weber is nothing to scoff at, and Tinordi is still too young to even tell but has some very good potential.

The names of the users change, but it's the same thing with each passing year. Overvaluing what's elsewhere while undervaluing what's here, and then when they do have success, pin it to something like chance or the miraculous wonders of one player.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:37 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Because if they don't make the NHL 1 year removed from junior like Subban they must be busts!!! Subban has the bar set too high around here, Weber is a good defenseman already and has room to grow into a Top 4 if everything works out. Tinordi is so young, I don't see how you can write him off.

Old
02-24-2011, 07:02 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

If you re-read, you'll notice that I was talking of prospects
, as the mention of "I don't see any great Dmen coming for Boston in the near future, it is something that is eluding them" should've hinted to this, added to the mention of "being in a good position for the Future". Funny how you skipped the whole text to collate your reply to the last part of my quote, while in the middle of my quote I mention this :

"In all probability, Markov will sign back here rather than somewhere else. Gorges, still RFA, so still part of the theorized roster for next season. So you still have a probable roster of Markov, Gorges, Subban, Spacek and Weber. The July market offers plenty of opportunities to fill this gap."

If you have nothing else better to do than misread me or just read the end of my responses, just don't read me at all.
You could have stopped right there, it's not like I'm a retard or something you know...

Old
02-24-2011, 08:21 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Plekanec didn't look disoriented at all in his first year. He was already a defensive stud and was chipping in points regulary.

Plekeanec was miles ahead of Eller in terms of hockey sense... actually it's this quality that made him such a good player today.

Eller has great skills, but he's totally lost on the ice. Might be the number, but Eller really reminds me of Marcel Hossa (except maybe the hustle)... I'm sorry, but future Top 6 players usually have a much bigger impact on the score sheet even while playing marginal minutes...

Right now, Eller is all skills and no results... He's extremely young and he has a lot of time to become a good Top 6 forward, but nothing is sure...

Old
02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Plekanec didn't look disoriented at all in his first year. He was already a defensive stud and was chipping in points regulary.

Plekeanec was miles ahead of Eller in terms of hockey sense... actually it's this quality that made him such a good player today.

Eller has great skills, but he's totally lost on the ice. Might be the number, but Eller really reminds me of Marcel Hossa (except maybe the hustle)... I'm sorry, but future Top 6 players usually have a much bigger impact on the score sheet even while playing marginal minutes...

Right now, Eller is all skills and no results... He's extremely young and he has a lot of time to become a good Top 6 forward, but nothing is sure...
I agree about the Plekanec part - guy was way ahead of Eller in his rookie season -- but he was also 23 years old.

And I wouldn't write off Eller's season just yet -- last game was a beauty, and JM rewarded him with minutes....Hopefully it served as a much needed confidence boost, if he can build on that he could definitely redeem himself a bit this season with over 20 games left.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
sheed36

Even though this isn't a Habs rumor from EK I thought it was a little funny considering the Pens got Kovy for a 7th round pick and EK said before the trade happened that the Pens "upped" their offer for him.. What the hell did they up their offer from? A water cooler?

Quote:
* I am hearing that Kovalev to Pittsburgh is very close. The Pens have upped and there is one team who could still counter.. UPDATED: DEAL DONE

Old
02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Even though this isn't a Habs rumor from EK I thought it was a little funny considering the Pens got Kovy for a 7th round pick and EK said before the trade happened that the Pens "upped" their offer for him.. What the hell did they up their offer from? A water cooler?
Maybe by not trading salary in return... But yeah, pretty weak when you think about it

Old
02-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Habit11

Quote:
It doesn't have to do with what happens with the team, sigh.. rather your poor reading skills and habit of exagerating and arguing over false premises. The day you'll be able to simply not do these things, you'll be able to suggest whatever you want to me, but until then, you can keep that to yourself. What you do not understand is that what you did is as much a sign of disrespect as any 'condescending tone' there could be over a text... How can one prove 'tone' over a text when it is a sound? All you read was me explaining to you how badly you misinterpreted and exagerated what I said. It's easy to paint that any way you want, but the truth is you were the one showing disrespect and then cry out after I showed the dishonesty in what you did.

The name calling is Grass Always Greener Elsewhere syndrome. You have it, deal with it.

It's no more harmful then calling someone a cheerleader or a troll.
Before you slam someone' reading skills and math skills, and whatever else, here is how one can prove 'tone' over a text when it is a sound...
Tone is a literary technique that is a part of composition, which encompasses the attitudes toward the subject and toward the audience implied in a literary work. Tone may be formal, informal, intimate, solemn, somber, playful, serious, ironic, condescending, or many other possible attitudes.

I didn't exaggerate anything. You proposed a deal to upgrade at the center position. I explained how that's a mistake, as of TODAY, when they are ok at center, and need help on defense, not only in terms of depth, but Roman Hamrlik looks like he might collapse on any given shift. It's a simple premise, not a false one. What's false is thinking you can offer Dallas a noose of a contract plus a young d, frostbite, late 1st rounder, and think it's a fair deal. What you've offered is a salary dump, and picks/prospects for a UFA, which is why I misread it to begin with. My apologies, it won't happen again. A signed guy like Richards will cost much, much more.

If anything the grass isn't greener on the Habs' side, which is why I'd be against that type of move today.

And low and behold, the Habs' trade a centerman today for help on defense...

Old
02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
The Pens have upped... to a 7th round pick? What were they offering before?

Old
02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The Pens have upped... to a 7th round pick? What were they offering before?
Matt Cooke

Old
02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
sampollock

eck still has not broke a mtl trade, some on eck.

Old
02-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
eck still has not broke a mtl trade, some on eck.
wonder with the Sopel pick up if he now stops talking about Phillips coming here

Old
02-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Before you slam someone' reading skills and math skills, and whatever else, here is how one can prove 'tone' over a text when it is a sound...
Tone is a literary technique that is a part of composition, which encompasses the attitudes toward the subject and toward the audience implied in a literary work. Tone may be formal, informal, intimate, solemn, somber, playful, serious, ironic, condescending, or many other possible attitudes.
I guess you don't understand irony then. Neither do you understand rhetorical questions... It was meant to show how you can make it sound what you want. The obvious of the irony should've been evident when I hinted that my attitude was AS MUCH a disrespect as your exagerations and putting words into mouth, admitting that the tone was indeed there, but in response to your own disrespect.

Quote:
I didn't exaggerate anything.
Yes you did, I clearly showed that. As Weber is a redundance in the lineup. As you extended the true cost of the trade. Don't be surprised to see him go, as we still have needs for a bigger centerline and a left handed D, as we now have 5 righties, although some of them can play on the left.

Quote:
You proposed a deal to upgrade at the center position. I explained how that's a mistake, as of TODAY, when they are ok at center,
No we are not. There is always room for upgrade. Trading for a centerman by using a player who has a redundant role isn't a mistake, and doesn't preclude that another trade cannot be done to fill other voids.

Quote:
and need help on defense, not only in terms of depth,
Actually, it IS the depth that is playing right now, and again, I already mentioned that they are taking care of the short term when it comes to D and seem intent on dealing with the long term for the D in the summer. The present trade showed exactly what I said. Also, before you think this trade proves you right, again, you totally disregard the fact that I said Weber is expendable because we have Wiz, Subban and him who are all about the same size playing at the same position on the same side, and lo and behold, they've added a rightie who's bigger and more defensive. He's there to counteract that imbalance, so you can expect Wiz or Weber to be in trade talks and probably be gone by next week.

Quote:
but Roman Hamrlik looks like he might collapse on any given shift.
+

Quote:
It's a simple premise, not a false one.
= LMAO

No, that's called an exageration. It's totally subjective and only serves to embellish your argument. Try something better next time.

Quote:
What's false is thinking you can offer Dallas a noose of a contract plus a young d, frostbite, late 1st rounder, and think it's a fair deal.
I never said it was a fair deal. There are a lot of unfair deals in the league and that has a lot to do with the financial problems some teams have. The premise, if you actually read what I wrote, is that Dallas does have some financial problems and every team in the league knows it. The same thing happened with Richards and Boyle when they were traded from Tampa. They were in financial shambles and got unfair trades. As for the Gomez contract, you yet again exagerate and completely disregard the facts already mentioned about Gomez's contract, as the contract only has three seasons left, at the tune of 7,5 / 5,5 / 4,5... with a very limited NTC of only three teams. Hardly worth the title of a hangman's noose, not in the salary sense versus the years left, and not in the sense of the cap especially since Dallas is nowhere near the cap limit.

Quote:
What you've offered is a salary dump,
No, that's a simplictic conclusion that disregards the premise that I explained at the start. what I actually offered is a solution to a need, a need which I explained before, is based on the supposition that Dallas doesn't have the money to keep Richards but would need a less costly bandaid to survive the transition and not be hold up to a long-term contract. A bit like what the Habs did when they took Gomez, Habs had a need for a veteran centermen for a few seasons to fill a void. The Dallas financial situation was also the first reason I mentioned needs, and yet when I brought that up the first time, you instantly made it about the Habs needs... I was explaining the premise, you disregard it, and then changed the premise to the needs of the Habs, all the while making the Habs needs only about Dmen, which is also untrue, as we do have other needs.

Quote:
and picks/prospects for a UFA, which is why I misread it to begin with. My apologies, it won't happen again. A signed guy like Richards will cost much, much more.
Because you are basing this on arbitrary subjective values. Past trades show trends of lower and upper value, but almost every time a team is having financial problems, they get the short end of the stick in most trades.

Quote:
If anything the grass isn't greener on the Habs' side, which is why I'd be against that type of move today.
LMAO. You even admit to it. Your whole logic seems based on the GAGE syndrome. The sole fact that you treat Gomez's contract as if it was like Lecavalier shows this yet again.

Quote:
And low and behold, the Habs' trade a centerman today for help on defense...
No duh, I already said they tended to this in the short term. It still doesn't eliminate other needs, and just like Weber, Maxwell was a redundance behind all the small centermen. What we actually need is size on the centerline, and added depth on the left side of the D, which leads to think Gauthier isn't finished. We also still have needs on the wing.

The obvious reality is that if Dallas can't sign Richards back and teams are aware of the exact financial situation of Dallas, teams like the Habs would be foolish not to look at this opportunity.

No team is gonna offer anything over the top even if Richards is a trade and sign deal, for the sole fact that teams would still have all the time till to the end of June to convince him to stay even if he doesn't sign, as the premise precludes that Richards would agree to the trade to start with.

Now if Richards doesn't wanna come here, fine, but we've already heard guys who said that or heard reports of that before and finally ended-up here.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 02-24-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Closed Thread