HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eklund trade rumour thread v4.0: 'Dude where's my trade' edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2011, 07:57 PM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Brooks Laich to Montreal (e3)...

Now here is officially your first bonafide Habs rumor of the summer.. The Canadiens are going to be aggressive this summer. The Canadiens aren't that far off of being a true contender as they have several key pieces in place, but Brooks Laich is one player who fits a few needs and I am hearing Brooks may be the Habs chief target this summer.

The above would make me a very happy Habs fan!
He's exactly what this team needs. Size and skill down the middle! Can play a shut down role and still score 15-20 goals!

If Montreal could somehow move Gomez that would be nice too. Gomez Desharnais and Montreal's first for Hanzal?
AGree, I posted a while ago that Laich would be my no.1 target, we will see.

Old
05-05-2011, 08:00 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:

Now here is officially your first bonafide Habs rumor of the summer.. The Canadiens are going to be aggressive this summer. The Canadiens aren't that far off of being a true contender as they have several key pieces in place, but Brooks Laich is one player who fits a few needs and I am hearing Brooks may be the Habs chief target this summer.

He's exactly what this team needs. Size and skill down the middle! Can play a shut down role and still score 15-20 goals!

If Montreal could somehow move Gomez that would be nice too. Gomez Desharnais and Montreal's first for Hanzal?
Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but the bolded part seems to be ol' Ek writing himself a blank cheque to post an insane number of "rumours" about the team with the largest and most passionate/insane fanbase in the league.

Old
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but the bolded part seems to be ol' Ek writing himself a blank cheque to post an insane number of "rumours" about the team with the largest and most passionate/insane fanbase in the league.
What else is new?

Old
05-06-2011, 06:54 AM
shutehinside

Is the Habs going after Laich in the off season as their MAIN acquisition really being "aggressive?" Me thinks not so much. I like Laich but he's not the missing piece we need. He might be part of it but not the main piece.

Old
05-06-2011, 06:59 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Is the Habs going after Laich in the off season as their MAIN acquisition really being "aggressive?" Me thinks not so much. I like Laich but he's not the missing piece we need. He might be part of it but not the main piece.
I think you undervalue what Laich would bring to the table.

In all honesty, had we had a whole roster these playoffs, we would of made easy work of the Bruins.

Now you add a guy who is similar in his play to Pax and you've got a much better 1/2/3 lines.

I'm guessing AK gets to walk this year if Laich signs on.

Old
05-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I think Laich is exactly the type of player we need. A guy with size and skill who plays a well rounded game. You put him and Pacioretty along with Cammy Plekanec Gio and Gomez you have a nice blend of size and skill. Ladd is another in that mold.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:00 AM
neofury*

Wow yeah if we could get Ladd I'd cry of happiness, love that guy.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Wow yeah if we could get Ladd I'd cry of happiness, love that guy.
Call Dudley and offer Pacioretty and our 1st for ladd and a 2nd

Old
05-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Tusk

Erik Cole rebounded nicely this year, although I don't see him leaving Carolina because the one time he did it didn't work for him, but he would be a nice veteran presence with a cup ring who plays the game hard, for lack of a better description, it would be like having two Pacioretty's in the top 6. And unlike Laich, he actually he broke the 20 goal barrier this past season.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:07 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I love Pacioretty also

Honestly if it weren't for Pacioretty being young and paid very little I'd possibly consider it. We are going to have serious cap problems if we aren't careful though and guys like Pacioretty help to make that easier.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Erik Cole rebounded nicely this year, although I don't see him leaving Carolina because the one time he did it didn't work for him, but he would be a nice veteran presence with a cup ring who plays the game hard, for lack of a better description, it would be like having two Pacioretty's in the top 6. And unlike Laich, he actually he broke the 20 goal barrier this past season.
Laich had a bit of a down year, but the two prior years he had 48-64-112 in 160 games. If you average the last 3 years it's 81 GP 21-32-53 plus he brings size and is an all around player.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:

He's the only player really fitting as a upgrade on the free agent market this summer, saying that we are interested is just stating the obvious.
Except that i dont see how we could sign him.

Quote:
That would be stupid. For both teams. Ladd is not really a huge upgrade over Pacioretty. If he is...which, at long term, is absolutely not obvious at all.

Anyway, he's their captain, why would they let him walk or trade him after only one year ?

Old
05-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
He's the only player really fitting as a upgrade on the free agent market this summer, saying that we are interested is just stating the obvious.
Except that i dont see how we could sign him.

That would be stupid. For both teams. Ladd is not really a huge upgrade over Pacioretty. If he is...which, at long term, is absolutely not obvious at all.

Anyway, he's their captain, why would they let him walk or trade him after only one year ?
Why don't you see how we could sign him? He'll probably cost a small overpayment(4.3-4.7 mil) but he's still relatively young and he is a good all around player taht fits a need.

It would be dumb for the Habs, good move for Atlanta, go a lot cheaper and get a player they have under control much longer and not lose a lot of production.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:47 AM
OpenIceHit

2 months until July 1st.

Oh well!

We must also go after guys like Winchester, Rupp, Eager...

Old
05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Why don't you see how we could sign him? He'll probably cost a small overpayment(4.3-4.7 mil) but he's still relatively young and he is a good all around player taht fits a need.

It would be dumb for the Habs, good move for Atlanta, go a lot cheaper and get a player they have under control much longer and not lose a lot of production.
Because minus Richards, Laich is the best forward available, and the only one to be really an option for the 30 teams in the league.

-We are not considered as contenders.
-We dont have any connexion with the player (he's not from Quebec, a former player or pick, friend of one of our current players, etc...)
-We are not among the teams with a lot of money available per players in July.

And dont forget the overpayment required. He's a good player, but the overpayment may cancel the positives he brings. Its a possibility given the offer and the demand this summer.

If its dumb for the Habs, then why should Gauthier call Dudley ?

Old
05-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Because minus Richards, Laich is the best forward available, and the only one to be really an option for the 30 teams in the league.

-We dont have any connexion with the player (he's not from Quebec, a former player or pick, friend of one of our current players, etc...)

And dont forget the overpayment required. He's a good player, but the overpayment may cancel the positives he brings. Its a possibility given the offer and the demand this summer.

We are not a contender? Really? I disagree and so would most players seeing the quality of our young guys. Habs will be a contender for the next 5 years. Definetly a main attraction to UFAs.

We don't have a lot of money to spend? We are one of the top teams that as the most to spend. Cap is going up $5M next year BTW. The teams that can spend more are:

1) not able too because they have a self imposed cap, or
2) weak teams that are not attractive to UFAs who are winners and looking for a good team to join like the Wiz

Laich is definetly a possibility for the Habs. Guaranteed, far from it, but definetly a possibility.

After the Wiz said that he wants to join a winner and that $$ is not is #1 priority because he does not want to play for a bad team for the next 5-6 years, it meant, for me, that the Wiz will be back with us because of the 2 reasons mentionned above. Good teams don't have cash and the teams that have cash are weak.

Old
05-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

And dont forget the overpayment required. He's a good player, but the overpayment may cancel the positives he brings. Its a possibility given the offer and the demand this summer. We have 25 mil available between our UFA's and RFA's.

We'll be considered as much a contender as anybody in the East if Markov and Pacioretty come back helathy.

Not all contenders have or want to spend 4+ mil on a forward, some have no cap room or needs elswhere or want to go after other forwards.

We had no connection with Hamrlik Gill Cammalleri Spacek Moen etc when we signed them.

In terms of the overpayment, if it's 500k then I'm fine with it, having good cheap talent(PK Price Weber Pacioretty Eller etc) allows us to overpay a bit.

I just suggested that that poster call Dudley and gave him an example of what Dudley might ask for.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 05-06-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old
05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
neofury*

Quote:
We'll be considered as much a contender as anybody in the East if Markov and Pacioretty come back helathy.

Not all contenders have or want to spend 4+ mil on a forward, some have no cap room or needs elswhere or want to go after other forwards.

We had no connection with Hamrlik Gill Cammalleri Spacek Moen etc when we signed them.

In terms of the overpayment, if it's 500k then I'm fine with it, having good cheap talent(PK Price Weber Pacioretty Eller etc) allows us to overpay a bit.

I just suggested that that poster call Dudley and gave him an example of what Dudley might ask for.
Yeah I understood what you meant, but it seemed like you were subtly trying to say we should do this

So I can understand where everyone's coming from.

Old
05-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:

-Contending...well, thats more a medias thing, but i dont think we are in a position to be actually ahead of others because of that, thats what i meant for this point.

-When we sign those players, for 4 of them, we had the biggest amount of money available/players, which makes it obviously easier.
Hamrlik being the exception. We still had some money to spend since Souray left for Edmonton.

-The problem is that we only have 9 players under contract for next season, with around 1.8M$/player available.

With our entire D to build, with at least two contracts over 4.5M (and thats probably an understimation), if you give a third one to Laich, you're asking for trouble. The ratio for the other players is barely over 1M$ then, which is not looking good at all (thats Devils or Blackhawks level...)

We dont have the money to overpay for him, except if someone else take a massive discount...the only ones in a position to do that are Markov and Wisniewski...and im not sure to be ready to gamble with them and risk to lose them.

Old
05-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
-Contending...well, thats more a medias thing, but i dont think we are in a position to be actually ahead of others because of that, thats what i meant for this point.

-When we sign those players, for 4 of them, we had the biggest amount of money available/players, which makes it obviously easier.
Hamrlik being the exception. We still had some money to spend since Souray left for Edmonton.

-The problem is that we only have 9 players under contract for next season, with around 1.8M$/player available.

With our entire D to build, with at least two contracts over 4.5M (and thats probably an understimation), if you give a third one to Laich, you're asking for trouble. The ratio for the other players is barely over 1M$ then, which is not looking good at all (thats Devils or Blackhawks level...)

We dont have the money to overpay for him, except if someone else take a massive discount...the only ones in a position to do that are Markov and Wisniewski...and im not sure to be ready to gamble with them and risk to lose them.
Signing Laich might come down to either moving AK or finding a way of moving Spacek's 3.8 mil cap hit, those things are more reasonable than dumping Gomez in the AHL.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Subban76

Quote:

I've crunched the numbers and we definetly have the room for Laich. Cap is going up $5M next year.

Most players we need to resign won't have increases and are players below $1M:
-Darche = 600K
-Pyatt = 600K
-White = 600K
-Desharnais =750K
-A. Kost = 3.5M
- Markov = 5.5

Hamr off the books at 5.5 will take care of Gorges and the Wiz increases.

Go to cap geek, put $64m as the cap and play around, we have plenty of cash to spend.

For teh ones worried after next year, Moen and Spacek are out for $5.3M + another cap increase of a couple millions probably. More than enough for Price and PK.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
I think you undervalue what Laich would bring to the table.

In all honesty, had we had a whole roster these playoffs, we would of made easy work of the Bruins.

Now you add a guy who is similar in his play to Pax and you've got a much better 1/2/3 lines.

I'm guessing AK gets to walk this year if Laich signs on.
I know what kind of player Laich is and I'd love to see him on the Habs. I merely pointed out that if he's the MIAN accusition than we'll still have major issues. Fact is we don't ahve a team full of guys like Laich and we need some scoring up front in the worse way. If we can't score 5 on 5 again next year then we may as well throw in the season.

Case in point, Boston didn't score a single goal against on the PP and allowed a shorty and we still lost the series! That's humiliatingly bad 5-5. Brooks can help but we'll need more than just him if we want to be a contender.

I'd have Laich on my team anyday.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Signing Laich might come down to either moving AK or finding a way of moving Spacek's 3.8 mil cap hit, those things are more reasonable than dumping Gomez in the AHL.
Or simply spending the cap increase of 5M.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Subban76

Quote:
I know what kind of player Laich is and I'd love to see him on the Habs. I merely pointed out that if he's the MIAN accusition than we'll still have major issues. Fact is we don't ahve a team full of guys like Laich and we need some scoring up front in the worse way. If we can't score 5 on 5 again next year then we may as well throw in the season.

Case in point, Boston didn't score a single goal against on the PP and allowed a shorty and we still lost the series! That's humiliatingly bad 5-5. Brooks can help but we'll need more than just him if we want to be a contender.

I'd have Laich on my team anyday.
Next year:

- Gomez should do better
- MaxPac for a full season
- Cammy scoring 35 again
- Markov supporting the offense all year
- Improvements from Eller and Desharnais

Honestly, if you had a a guy like Laich, I'm not too worried about 5 on 5 production next year.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I've crunched the numbers and we definetly have the room for Laich. Cap is going up $5M next year.

Most players we need to resign won't have increases and are players below $1M:
-Darche = 600K
-Pyatt = 600K
-White = 600K
-Desharnais =750K
-A. Kost = 3.5M
- Markov = 5.5

Hamr off the books at 5.5 will take care of Gorges and the Wiz increases.

Go to cap geek, put $64m as the cap and play around, we have plenty of cash to spend.

For teh ones worried after next year, Moen and Spacek are out for $5.3M + another cap increase of a couple millions probably. More than enough for Price and PK.
Up by than 5M$ ?
I dont remember what is going on about that, but i thought it was going to be around 61-62M$. Not sure if the new TV contract matters.

Anyway, i've done my Capgeek homework too (), thats why i have my doubts about the cap problems and Laich. My concerns are as much for next season than for 2012-13.

I have a 2011-12 team with a payroll of 61M$, with the Capital as the only newcomer, raise for Pacioretty, Pouliot gone and savings on Gill and Auld salaries.

I feel that we are going to be too close to the cap with the raises of Subban, Eller and Price. And possibly Pacioretty, Desharnais and Weber, too, according to how we deal with it this summer...

Even if Spacek is gone after next season, we are still be looking for a guy to replace Moen, if we dont keep him, and it's going to be at the same pricetag, if not more expensive, so we dont have that much money left for 2013-14 if we spend it on right now on Laich.

Im not the GM, but I'll wait to see how our young players are handling the new expectations on them to see how we could make our team better later, once we know what exactly we have, rather than going out too early on a poor year on the market.
We are likely to be dependent to the raise of the cap to have some relief, im not a fan of that idea.

Closed Thread