HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which players do you want on July 1st?

Old
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

vCash: 500
Richards or laich
Erhoff or kaberle

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:05 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE0 View Post
Brad Richards 6 yrs @ $8.5M

1. Richards. Crazy money, yes. Why? (A) You typically overpay in FA by $0.5M-1M per; (B) Leafs' biggest need by far is #1 center; (C) the UFA market for a #1 center is abysmal for the next two years, Richards is basically the only guy; and (D) otherwise you're going to be spending prospect, picks, and still a great deal of cash/cap to obtain a Paul Stastny ($6.6M per cap & cash) or a Jason Spezza ($7.0M per cap/ $6.25M per cash).

I'm all for overpaying for Richards as long as the term is reasonable (5 or 6 years), as signing him fulfills the need for a #1 center and doesn't require spending any other assets (prospects & picks) other than cash/cap which is available. Things will fall into place for the team as a whole with him added, and signing Richards helps our prospects to properly develop and hopefully come into a winning environment.
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
see I would hate this signing for a the basic reason of Richards will be 31 by the start of next season, and that means he would be 37 in the last year of the contract, in 3-4 years when he's 34-35 will he still be the 90pt player? because this is when were gonna be challenging for the cup, and his contract will be more of a problem then a benefit. and you bet that deal would come with a full NMC so sending him to the minors or w/e is out of the question, so again by the time we are ready to compete this contract will look terrible and why we should stay away from Richards. espicially now that he's expierencing Concusion like symptoms.

UFA market is filled with more bust's then quality signings imo and therefore I would like to see us just build from within and let Kadri/Colborne play instead of making big signings.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
GE0

I would MUCH rather a 5-year term myself, but I think Richards is going to want a contract that sees him through age 36 like Marc Savard recently signed.

I don't disagree with you that that last year or maybe last two years could be a pain in the ass, like Chris Drury with the Rangers now. Though Richards could still be somewhat/mildly productive at that age (at center or winger), which will help soften the blow.

Ultimately though I bite the bullet because I'd rather deal with a highly overpaid 35-year-old and a highly overpaid 36-year-old Brad Richards and still keep Nazem Kadri and Joe Colborne in the Leafs' system. As opposed to likely having to trade one of them plus more for another #1 center who is still paid a lot of money.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
exporta

Richards, Laich, Upshall, Ehrhoff and Bryzgalov

edit: Pitkanen aswell.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:34 PM
exporta

Quote:
I forgot to mention that Rangers' Marc Staal recently signed for 5 yrs @ $3.975M per, which provided something of a basis for the extension for Luke Schenn.
Hey now! Schenn is no an all star!

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Caius Merlyn

The Leafs cannot bank on getting the top tier UFA's.

What the team currently lacks is topline talent to play with Kessel, yet it is still important to leave open positions that could be filled from the farm system.

Ideally Richards would fill a top spot, but just like Kovalchuk, Thornton, etc., Leaf fans are unreasonable in their expectations.

Players will have to be moved to bring in top line talent.

Currently the roster for next year sits at:

Lupul - Blank - Kessel

MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin

Blank - Bozak - Armstrong

Brown - Boyce - Hanson

Phaneuf - Aulie

Schenn - Komisarek

Gunnarsson - Lebda

Gustavsson

Reimer

More than likely the Leafs will have to move a package of players for what they hope will be a player that fits on the top line.

Being realistic a package of MacArthur, Grabovski, and Gunnarsson might be able to return a top end player from a team that is looking to spread salary out through the line up rather and fill a few positions at the same time.

AS AN EXAMPLE, lets look at New Jersey.

The Leafs trade Grabovski, MacArthur, Gunnarsson, and high picks for Zajac and Clarkson. Grabovski is replaced internally with Kadri/Colborne, and the wing spot is filled with lets say Justin Williams/Zherdev/Frolov type of player.

If Komisarek can be moved then a puck moving type player such as Pitkanen could be brought in.

Lupul - Zajac - Kessel

Williams - Kadri/Colborne - Kulemin

Clarkson - Bozak - Armstrong

Brown - Boyce - Hanson

Orr

Phaneuf - Aulie

Schenn - Pitkanen

Lebda/Blacker/Gardiner/Holzer/etc. - UFA

Realistically speaking the Leafs will have to be creative in an attempt to try and acquire at least 1 topline player. It is much easier to sign 2nd and 3rd liners via UFA so the likely option will have to involve moving some of the players on the team that hold value partly due to the salary they make.

My disclaimer here is that I am in no way suggesting this was a fair trade one way or another. It is a realistic approach to what would need to be done IF the Leafs plan on contending for a playoff position as early as next year.

Caius Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:56 PM
richardn

Scottie Upshall, Brad Richards and Thomas Kaberle those are the 3 players I want. Will we get them probably not.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Richards, 6yr/8.5 million per.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
UFancyHuh

Markov, just to troll the Habs

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I don't have the psychic powers to know who will be available to be signed on July 1.
Always warm and fuzzy Moose... Maybe the question should be, which UFA's will want TO?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly3RR View Post
Markov, just to troll the Habs
Hopefully he will work out just as well as Komi has.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Tombernack

1) B. Richards

2) I. Bryzgalov

3A) T. Kaberle
3B) C. Ehrhoff
3C) A. Markov

4) Laich

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

Maybe I. Bryzgalov is our key to playoffs.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:22 PM
bberard34

Upshall, Markov and Bieksa

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:41 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Maybe I. Bryzgalov is our key to playoffs.
A legit #1 goalie would be a good start. The Leafs can sign Richards, Laich, Kaberle, and Upshall and still won't make the playoffs with AHL goaltending.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
A legit #1 goalie would be a good start. The Leafs can sign Richards, Laich, Kaberle, and Upshall and still won't make the playoffs with AHL goaltending.
I'm just amazed at how he makes Phoenix a playoff contender. They don't even have a guy with 20 goals..

Old
02-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

All I want is Bryz.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:00 PM
GE0

I don't think Bryzgalov leaves Phoenix.

Consider that this year they are already paying him $4.5M in salary, and he has a $4.25M cap hit. They are used to building their team with that amount of money being allocated to him, so re-signing him isn't any difficult jump of sorts.

And it seems we're wisely past the days of goalies making $5M-plus per, $6M-plus per. Bryz will likely make around $4.5M which, as stated earlier, Phoenix is used to paying him that. So he'll stay there.

Besides, what's the likelihood of Burke spending big dollars on a big-name free agent goaltender? How often has he done that in his career? I think it's more likely he goes with the youngsters in the system.

Maybe keep an eye on Tomas Vokoun, if you want. I ran down a list of teams in the league that might spend to have him: FLA, TOR, NYI, OTT, and COL. Which of those teams does sign him though?

Old
02-21-2011, 06:11 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
I don't think Bryzgalov leaves Phoenix.

Consider that this year they are already paying him $4.5M in salary, and he has a $4.25M cap hit. They are used to building their team with that amount of money being allocated to him, so re-signing him isn't any difficult jump of sorts.

And it seems we're wisely past the days of goalies making $5M-plus per, $6M-plus per. Bryz will likely make around $4.5M which, as stated earlier, Phoenix is used to paying him that. So he'll stay there.

Besides, what's the likelihood of Burke spending big dollars on a big-name free agent goaltender? How often has he done that in his career? I think it's more likely he goes with the youngsters in the system.

Maybe keep an eye on Tomas Vokoun, if you want. I ran down a list of teams in the league that might spend to have him: FLA, TOR, NYI, OTT, and COL. Which of those teams does sign him though?
Would Vokoun sign a 2 year deal? Probably not at his age, he'll be looking for a retirement contract is my guess. Too much term for the Leafs.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
GE0

I'm not sure Vokoun is in much of a position to demand a certain term.

Unless he wants to go to the KHL, that is.

But we'll see I guess.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Hotlanta

If the hockey gods somehow shine down on us and somehow get Richards into a leafs jersey, I would say go for Laich, Erhroff, Upshall and Bryz and send Komi to the minors and try and get Lashoff through re-entry or just bring up Holzer.

But when that doesn't happen

Let the kids play, sign no one and take one of the Sting boys, Murray, or even Frk.

Kulemin - Grabo - Mac (or trade for picks if necessary)
Lupul - Kadri/Colbourne (Let them take turns) - Kessel
Caputi - Bozak - Armstrong
Orr - Hanson - Brown

Phaneuf - Aulie
Blacker/Lashoff/Gysber/Gardiner - Schenn
Komisarek - LEBDA!!!

Gus
Reimer

Then draft hard with all the cap space we should have

Hotlanta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
The two I'm sure that Burke will talk with are Richards and Laich.

I wouldn't mind either. Obviously depending on the ticket.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:25 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
I'm not sure Vokoun is in much of a position to demand a certain term.

Unless he wants to go to the KHL, that is.

But we'll see I guess.
2y/5per, would be fantastic and let Reimer develop behind him.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Stephen

Steven Stamkos - I'm just asking for Burke to try. Just piss off Yzerman, break the bank, whatever. Just offer sheet the guy and bring him home where he belongs!

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:36 PM
GE0

I like Laich as a hockey player, but I'm having a hard time seeing why he's in such demand by Leafs fans.

1. He is a winger, not a center. He plays on the wing.

2. Even if he was a center, he's not even cloe to a first-line center. Which is what the Leafs need.

3. It's quite the stretch to say he's a first-line LW. At the very least, he is not anymore of a first-line LW than Joffrey Lupul, so there's no point to signing him in that regard.

3. Signing him as the second-line LW doesn't make any damn sense either. We're going to spend $4.25M per on Laich (outbid Washington) when we can just re-sign MacArthur, who complements Grabo-Kuli and has chemistry with them, at $3M? Are you kidding me?

Someone please reasonably explain it to me.