HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Niklas Hagman (clears)

Old
02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladis View Post
Aulie>Babchuck
Aulie has got to make this deal sting for the Flames

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:49 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeoffBrown View Post
I think that if a GM makes moves to validate old trades, then they are failing at their job. That said, I would keep Hagman, unless this is clearing space for a bigger deal.
Bingo someones got it....A trade is coming...

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
Bingo someones got it....A trade is coming...
Spezza says hi....

Old
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unless Phaneuf ups his game in the very near future, I disagree. Cap hits are a major factor here.

Wait and see what Calgary does with the cap space from this move before making any conclusions.

As we have seen with Souray/Redden/Finger, rich teams will always be able to bury money in the minors, so even if Phaneuf was a salary dump by the Flames in which we were paid Aulie to take him, and he ends up with Finger in the minors,we still win the deal IMHO;and that is the absolute worst case scenario to ever happen on the Leafs end. Its unfortunate because Hagman was pretty good during his tenure here but I guess it just didn't work out in Calgary.

Your second point I agree; even though Haggy was underproducing for the Flames there has to be more to this story as he is bound to be scooped up. I remember last season before the Phaneuf deal rumours were a 2nd/prospect from western teams for Hagman. His stock can't have slipped that much from one season to the next. Its not like he is Komisarek....

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oem1265

Both teams lost the Phaneuf trade, Sutter probably could have gotten a better return.

But let's not kid ourselves, Phaneuf isn't a very good defenseman, and Toronto will be paying him a lot of money for the next few years.

oem1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
well the Wild are down a Finn for the next three weeks...

oh man...we're Finn central lately so this isn't far fetched.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
I am pretty sure most Leaf fans were happy when he was traded. Decent enough player, but too soft and too lazy.
Lazy? That sounds like the anti-Hagman o.O

Something weird must've happened.

Hagman works best when he is the talent on the line. There shouldn't be a top-two line in the NHL like that though..

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
saillias

I think this was a little hasty. Ownership will think twice about giving Feaster the permanent GM job if he keeps on burying NHL players in the minors.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
oem1265

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladis View Post
Aulie>Babchuck
Maybe 3+ years from now.

Anybody who would suggest Aulie is currently a better d-man than Babchuk is delusional.

oem1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
GuinnRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
No team wins every team they make, Burke is no exception to this rule.

However, I think the Phaneuf trade is now confirmed to be lopsided in the Leafs favour now, as Hagman at the time was the top piece headed west only to be on the scrap heap now.
The only thing lopsided in the Leafs favour is Phaneuf's contract vs. performance - as in lopsided bad.

TO is paying their captain $7M for: 43GP 2-13-15pts, -8, this year.

That's the epitome of awful ROI on a big chunk of your Cap and nothing to brag about "stealing" from another team.

GuinnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post

Hagman works best when he is the talent on the line. There shouldn't be a top-two line in the NHL like that though..
Hagman sucks. He's great for 5 games, then dissapears for 10. All Leaf fans complained about this when he played for them.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnRocks View Post
The only thing lopsided in the Leafs favour is Phaneuf's contract vs. performance - as in lopsided bad.

That's the epitome of awful ROI on a big chunk of your Cap and nothing to brag about "stealing" from another team.
actually Phaneuf is stealing from the Leafs lol..

Old
02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post

Hagman was too inconsistent when he was here. He had a beauty of a shot, but seemed to go on too may droughts.

Top six on a bad team.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Ashasx

Hagman is certainly not lazy. He's one of the hardest working players I've seen for his skill set. I don't know if it's the system that's the problem or what, but unless Feaster turns this capspace into a top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman, I won't be happy.

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
I think that if a GM makes moves to validate old trades, then they are failing at their job. That said, I would keep Hagman, unless this is clearing space for a bigger deal.

OMG like trading two lottery picks for Phil Kessel!

There's a reason why they guy who signed this deal and made the Phaneuf trade is no longer the GM...
A 23 year-old on his way to a third straight 30 goal season that was picked top 5 in a fantastic draft.

Old
02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I wouldn't say it's Phaneuf, Aulie, Sjostrom for just Stajan; White brought Calgary an asset back. The others did not.

Still pretty strange that the best player moved in that Phaneuf trade ended up being Aulie.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
I wouldn't say it's Phaneuf, Aulie, Sjostrom for just Stajan; White brought Calgary an asset back. The others did not.

Still pretty strange that the best player moved in that Phaneuf trade ended up being Aulie.
Yup. Aulie is the difference-maker in the deal. I was very suprised Burke got him in that deal.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnRocks View Post

yes but it was this terrible contract that made Phaneuf tradeable in the first place.

If he was making 3 million bucks he wouldn't have been dealt.

Its not like there aren't other overpaid players in the league and hes not even the most overpaid player on the Leafs.

People talk about salary like its coming out of their own pocket and I feel place too much emphasis on it. I realize there are cap implications nowadays but its not the end of the world having an overpaid player or two on the team.

Phaneuf IMHO is changing his game from what he was in Calgary to reflect the new NHL. Im seeing a poor mans Scott Stevens in the future with Phaneuf, and to think that we got an impressive prospect alongside him only makes the deal sweeter. Not to mention he has been the mentor to Schenn which may have saved his career from the fire after the toronto media ripped him to shreds during his half season sophomore slump.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:03 PM
GuinnRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post

Best player moved ended up being Aulie?

Am I missing something?

Is this the same guy who's a -5 with no points in 17 games for Leafs?

The same prospect who put a meager 9 pts in 36 games in AHL this season?

Don't get me wrong. Aulie could end up being a very good shutdown Dman. He could also become Andrew Alberts.

It's a bit earlier to predict either way, no?

GuinnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:04 PM
OLUSAF

could this mean a huselius deal. They were speculating on HNIC that he asked to be dealt back to Calgary but the flames didnt have the cap space. I also believe i saw something on the ticker about Huselius leaving practice for an undetermined reason

OLUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
If Phaneuf was on the block NO TEAM would take or inquire about him at 6.5M per..So the trade looks good on Calgary..Money can be spent elsewhere...
Right... is that why several NHL GMs were reportedly frustrated with Sutter because he didn't let them know that Phaneuf was on the block?

Quote:
OMG like trading two lottery picks for Phil Kessel!

There's a reason why they guy who signed this deal and made the Phaneuf trade is no longer the GM...
I see 23 games left on the schedule...

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Hagman sucks. He's great for 5 games, then dissapears for 10. All Leaf fans complained about this when he played for them.
It is weird if he somehow has turned lazy though. He used to have dry periods because of his lack of skill. Always hustling and never giving up.

He is known for not having the best hockey sense and some serious bad luck. Some guys even talked about how many posts he had his rookie year and that it was some kind of record.

I just never thought I'd see the day that anyone called him lazy. Untalented and low hockey IQ was what I thought people pegged his handicap to be.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:07 PM
iggyman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Aulie has got to make this deal sting for the Flames
Not really. We have 3-4 guys in our system that we had ahead of Aulie. Just something we had to add in order to get rid of the biggest cancer this team has seen since Brett Hull. Listening to what Rhett Warrener was saying about him (on his new time slot on the Fan960) and the stuff he would pull in the locker room I would have probably given another first just to get him out of town...

iggyman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Calgary needs the cap space for a trade.

On CBC, they speculated that Huselius had requested a trade back to Calgary, but Calgary didn't have the cap space to fit his 4.7 cap hit next year.

Waiving Hagman's 3.0 cap hit would be one way.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Actually I'm shocked. Why Hagman is on waivers? Haven't watched him play lately though, so I don't know... but very surprising news anyhow.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote