HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Niklas Hagman (clears)

Old
02-21-2011, 12:09 PM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladis View Post
That trade sure looked good
Phaneuf, Aulie and Sjostrom for Matt Stajan
Nice trade
Doesnt matter what the return is.Phaneuf being paid as a franchise player and has shown to be a #4 guy with basically no offense now is a horrible horrible horrible contract.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
And HF Poster saillias speculates that Huselius is useless as **** on a bull and has as much chance of coming back to Calgary as Theoren Fleury making another comeback.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
HuskyFlames

Ever time Ive seen Aulie play he has shown nothing spectaular. 17 games played, 0 points and -5 supports that notion.

His value was overstated due to his time he played with Meyers in the WJ.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see EDM pick him up. Good "transitional player".
And play where? We're already overstocked now that Bru is healthy.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnRocks View Post
Best player moved ended up being Aulie?

Am I missing something?

Is this the same guy who's a -5 with no points in 17 games for Leafs?

The same prospect who put a meager 9 pts in 36 games in AHL this season?

Don't get me wrong. Aulie could end up being a very good shutdown Dman. He could also become Andrew Alberts.

It's a bit earlier to predict either way, no?
While your stats analyzation say nothing about a young guy who has played great in his callup, I agree. He, IMO, will be a great #4, just absolutely top end #4 guy. A very good 2nd pairing Dman. That being said, I'd be very surprised if his overall package is better than Dions, even though I don't think Dion is that great. Dion may not be playing great this year but he's still a pretty solid DMan. If he was making 4mil, he'd be fine. In a way, he's a better Kevin Bieksa.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:15 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
Ever time Ive seen Aulie play he has shown nothing spectaular. 17 games played, 0 points and -5 supports that notion.

I havent seen much of him, but you'll hear some fans talk like hes one of the most promising young D men in the league, which I find very hard to believe.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Reign Nateo

That trade looks nothing but ugly for Calgary, at least they're washing thier hands of it, or trying anyway.

Stajan is a 3rd line C on an iffy contract, Hagman should be in the KHL hard to beleive anyone will take that contract, and I'm not sure why Flames fans like Babchuk so much. Looked like a pylon any time I've seen him out there. Not awful, but nothing more than a decent 5-6th guy with a world class shot. I'd actually be surprised if the Flames re-sign him. Fast forwards blow by him and that's what the West is all about.

Phanuef is over-paid, but at least he's a legit top 4 defender, and Aulie looks like he's a keeper too. Can't see how a Flames' fan could be happy about that deal in hindsight. Could have gotten better assets out of Phanuef at the time I have to beleive.

Be interesting to see if anyone claims Hagman. Teams haven't been keen to take on other team's contracts, but Hagman is talented. Hard to see the Flames burying him and Kotalik's salarys in the minors, but at least they're doing what they have to do to put the best team out there. Some of those vets Sutter brought in and/or gave those deals to is just a headscratcher.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Dylbot

I don't know how anyone can argue that the Leafs didn't win this deal.

What's a worse use of cap allocation: 6.5 million for two third liners, or 6.5 million for a top four defenseman?

I don't know the answer to that question, but when you factor in the fact that Phanuef is younger and clearly has the potential to be a two way, top pairing defenseman and team captain, the deal clearly swings in favour of the Leafs.

Oh yeah, and the Leafs also got Aulie, a cheap potential top-four shutdown defenseman.

If the Leafs and Flames resign Sjostrom and/or Babchuk we can factor them into the deal.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:17 PM
CarknerCountry

Quote:

Every prospect the leafs have is overratted by them hell Ross and McKegg are front line prospects....

We have a prospect Named Stone who is tearing up the western league but is he a sure fire prospect NO....Aulie you can find on all teams Like Gryba is to the Sens...

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
FlamesFan18

The Flames waiving hagman is good for them, hes overpaid and is awful here, we dont need him in our hot streak. One of these will happen for the Flames next:

1. Ivanans returns after getting knocked out in the first game by Macyntire
2. We call up one of our prospect (Bouma, Nemisz, Howse, Wahl)
3. Were making cap room, and line up room, to make a trade for a left wing most likely. (my guesses would be Huselius or Kovalev) We would have to trade a defense man though, unless Feaster wants to trade the last of our picks and prospects. Id guess the defense man we would trade would be either Babchuk or Sarich.

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:21 PM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan18 View Post
The Flames waiving hagman is good for them, hes overpaid and is awful here, we dont need him in our hot streak. One of these will happen for the Flames next:

2. We call up one of our prospect (Bouma, Nemisz, Howse, Wahl)
3. Were making cap room, and line up room, to make a trade for a left wing most likely. (my guesses would be Huselius or Kovalev) We would have to trade a defense man though, unless Feaster wants to trade the last of our picks and prospects. Id guess the defense man we would trade would be either Babchuk or Sarich.
stay away from Kovy lol.....and im a sens fan..

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
Every prospect the leafs have is overratted by them hell Ross and McKegg are front line prospects....

We have a prospect Named Stone who is tearing up the western league but is he a sure fire prospect NO....Aulie you can find on all teams Like Gryba is to the Sens...
How is a guy who has yet to play a game in the NHL the same as Aulie?

Don't bother looking at Aulie's stats, because stats are pretty useless when assessing a shutdown defenseman.

He's never going to do anything spectacular, besides the occasional bone crushing hit, he doesn't have much offensive upside. But he could easily have a very successful career as a second pairing defensive defenseman, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's actually a pretty handy guy to have around.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:28 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan18 View Post

I think all of us would just like to forget he has a contract. The LTR is right where he belongs. Not on the ice and not counting against the cap limit. And to suggest we're going to move Babchuk or Sarich to pick up a useless twit like Kovalev or Huselius.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Ashasx

Ivanans will not play another game for the Flames, even if he's healthy. This move either signals a trade or just freeing up cap space to sign players in the off-season. Hagman was probably the most expendable forward on the team

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:31 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

I really wonder where the Flames would be now if they actually got a fair return on Phaneuf...

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:44 PM
IKEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladis View Post
That trade sure looked good
Phaneuf, Aulie and Sjostrom for Matt Stajan
Nice trade
i agree despite phaneuf's lackluster play and inflated contract
calgary got an awful deal last semester

+ yet don't forget white, who was traded for babchuck; he scored a shorthanded goal in the heritage classic!

IKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:45 PM
GeeoffBrown

I personally would rather have Babchuk and Kostopoulos than Phaneuf.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:47 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATNESS View Post
So Sutter insisted Hagman be in the Phaneuf package and now he is on waivers...

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Thus, the guy who made that trade is not making trades anymore
Exactly...

Stajan should also be waived.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Doesnt matter what the return is.Phaneuf being paid as a franchise player and has shown to be a #4 guy with basically no offense now is a horrible horrible horrible contract.
Jay Bo as a #4 dman and 6.8 million hit is a horrible horrible contract too.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Too bad he's not a #4, otherwise you might actually have a valid post.

While Bouwmeester's offense has not been up to snuff, and he is overpaid, he logs 25 minutes a game and provides FANTASTIC defense and puck movement from our zone.

Then again, there is not point arguing with a Leafs fan who thinks that Dion @ 6.5 million is a discount

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post

Phanuef is over-paid, but at least he's a legit top 4 defender, and Aulie looks like he's a keeper too. Can't see how a Flames' fan could be happy about that deal in hindsight. Could have gotten better assets out of Phanuef at the time I have to beleive.

r.
Any Flames fan who is happy with the deal is lying to himself.

Phaneuf came of a Norris nominee, so he had some value. Sutter ****ed up big time. I wouldnt be surprised if they found out he has mental illness in the last few years.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Too bad he's not a #4, otherwise you might actually have a valid post.

While Phaneuf's offense has not been up to snuff, and he is overpaid, he logs 25 minutes a game and provides FANTASTIC defense and puck movement from our zone.
Fixed

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedryl View Post
Both teams lost the Phaneuf trade, Sutter probably could have gotten a better return.

But let's not kid ourselves, Phaneuf isn't a very good defenseman, and Toronto will be paying him a lot of money for the next few years.
He hasn't been great offensively like he used to be but he has been pretty good defensively, plays physical and is a leader. Is it worth 6.5 right now? Definitely not unless he starts getting 40+ points but he is definitely worth 4-4.5 right now. He is starting to create better offense and is doing a little bit of re-inventing himself. I think it will take time but I don't think the Leafs lost that deal at all. Getting Aulie was huge as well.

Calgary definitely lost the deal but I can see why they did it. It did give them some breathing room and he was made expandable due to Giordano and the money was used to help re-sign him. However, using that money to re-sign Stajan for that much was terrible.

Anyways, I am surprised Hagman has fallen off this much. I know he is inconsistent and can be lazy at times but wow... he may get claimed by a team though, he's not that bad despite the inconsistency. He played well for Tippet before so I can see succeeding in Phoenix if they claim in. It couldn't hurt for a team like Oilers to claim either.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
iggyman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
a) JBO is our #1. He plays the most time and he is on the first pairing.

b) His cap hit is 6.68

Get it right

iggyman12 is offline   Reply With Quote