Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niklas Hagman, UPDATE: Clears

Old
02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Pacem

vCash: 500
Well he cleared. Still don't like the risk.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
I'm pretty shocked he cleared. Probably would have been claimed if he was a UFA at years end, people just don't want that 3 million contract for next year. I would be pretty shocked if he is actually sent down, he is just way to talented of a player to be in the AHL.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
Well he cleared. Still don't like the risk.
Wow, I cannot believe there is no market whatsoever for Hagman. Feaster must of had a good idea that no one would of picked him up. The move just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
walle

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
If, at some point, CGY decides to demote Hagman, he's there for rest of regular season because Flames couldn't afford cap hit on re-entry.

can someone explain that cap thingy?

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Feel The Heat

vCash: 492
Bob McKenzie
Quote:
If, at some point, CGY decides to demote Hagman, he's there for rest of regular season because Flames couldn't afford cap hit on re-entry.
Alot of moaning over a player that is contributing nothing to this team.

Bob McKenzie
Quote:
My point on Hagman is that Flames, normally, a cap team and can't afford to eat up $1.5M next season on Hagman cap hit if he's not on team.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

can someone explain that cap thingy?
Easy. McKenzie is wrong; from everything I know of the CBA (and I've only read it twelve or so times) that cap hit is still pro-rated, and regardless the Flames currently have over $3 million in actual cap room as it is, since demoting Kotalik...

Edit: I see McKenzie has clarified his comment. No, we don't want to eat $1.5 million on reentry waivers. If he is assigned, I think he goes to Europe next season, with Kotalik.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:47 AM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Hagman speaks on being waived.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...L%7CCGY%7Chome

Quote:
Hagman, who makes about $3 million in salary, was a little surprised that he was placed on waivers but, after meeting with team officials and the head coach, he was focused on helping the Flames stay in the playoff picture.

"It was a good talk. We're on the same page," said Hagman. "Overall, I have to bring a little bit more. I have to make every shift I have count. Get a shot. Do whatever I can to help us keep winning."

Quote:
"From a purely selfish standpoint, I am glad he is still with us because I think he can help us," said Sutter. "Hags and I had a long conversation this morning. There is no problem at all. It is a non-issue. We need Hags to be a good player for us and he will be."

Last edited by StreakingRed: 02-22-2011 at 01:56 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
abracanada

By sending Hagman down, the Flames now could have substantial NHL level players platooned in the AHL for call up if they choose to go that way. And Hagman would have had a pretty substantial wake up call. If Feaster can swing a deal for some high priced help, the Flames will have some wicked depth heading into the playoffs. They have to make it first though.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Beats By CoRD
Who really run this?

So glad he cleared. We need Hagman for depth. Now that he has talked with Sutter and team officials, I think we will see a more focused Hagman. Let's hope he tears it up tonight.

HawnzDynastyProductions.com
Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Lunatik*

I'm glad he cleared, unless Feaster has a major deal up his sleeve it was a bad idea

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
By sending Hagman down, the Flames now could have substantial NHL level players platooned in the AHL for call up if they choose to go that way. And Hagman would have had a pretty substantial wake up call. If Feaster can swing a deal for some high priced help, the Flames will have some wicked depth heading into the playoffs. They have to make it first though.
except ou can bet your ass that if Hagman was on re-entry waivers he would get claimed

Old
02-22-2011, 04:18 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I'm glad he cleared, unless Feaster has a major deal up his sleeve it was a bad idea
Who knows, Maybe feaster new all along that Hagman would clear by sending an email around the league asking if their would be any interest or if any one would claim him.

I think this move just signifies a little kick in the pants to Hagman, in order to get him going for the final playoff push.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Who knows, Maybe feaster new all along that Hagman would clear by sending an email around the league asking if their would be any interest or if any one would claim him.

I think this move just signifies a little kick in the pants to Hagman, in order to get him going for the final playoff push.
just because a team doesn't want to trade for him doesn't mean they won't pick him up and waivers... and vice versa

Old
02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
just because a team doesn't want to trade for him doesn't mean they won't pick him up and waivers... and vice versa
Oh I know that, I still think he could garner interest in a trade if we brought some salary back for next year.

Who knows, it may have been a calculated risk after all.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Oh I know that, I still think he could garner interest in a trade if we brought some salary back for next year.

Who knows, it may have been a calculated risk after all.
I have this gut feeling its a scare tactic and nothing more... new GM showing he has the balls to waive established NHLers

Old
02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
I have this gut feeling its a scare tactic and nothing more... new GM showing he has the balls to waive established NHLers
seems so eh? Can't count how many times i heard Feaster emphasize his lack of fear in waiving players..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:39 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
A defenseman's first duties is to be good defensively, if they can contribute on the offense it is a plus. He hasnt produced near his rookie years in the NHL, but the talent and skill is there for him to do so later on. He's been above average defenseman, and yes he is about 2-3 mil overpaid, but our team also has a much better record when he is in the line up which may indicate he possesses the needed leadership this team needs. Out of that trade, Calgary got 2 players that aren't playing with them anymore, and an overpaid stajan whose an average 2nd liner. Leafs got an above average defenseman who CAN contribute offensively (we'll see if he can find a groove here) who is also an above average defender. He is also our captain as well. Shoey who is an average 3rd liner who is insignificant really, and an upcoming talent in Aulie who is proving to the leafs that he is going to be our next greatest development on defense and hopefully a comparable asset to Schenn in the future. And then I come here, and you boast about Calgary winning the trade because they still have stajan and all you aknowledge is Aulie. LOL.
Whatever, the Flames are in the playoff race and Leafs are once again in the gutter... I take team winning in terms of wins rather than alleged trade wins on a team racing the wrong way down a one way street.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:43 PM
GoFlames

Good to see he cleared.... I was kind of taken aback by the move.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
abracanada

Quote:
except ou can bet your ass that if Hagman was on re-entry waivers he would get claimed
In the playoffs, you can't claim anyone can you? I thought all of that stuff stopped at the end of the regular season.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
Perhaps it was just a calculated gamble to get him to pick up his game?

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Perhaps it was just a calculated gamble to get him to pick up his game?
If so, it certainly had an effect. Hagman was a desperate man for the puck tonight.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Signature
Unsustainable™

vCash: 619
It was a close game... but we played well still. The best loss of the season, IMO, if there is such a thing.

Hagman had a fire under his ass... felt like the next three games are his to light up.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
If Calgary can't afford Hagman's cap hit on reentry, why put Kotalik on reentry? Must be ol' Bob thinking he knows anything about the Flames again.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:20 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
aulie is actually playing in a top 4 role right now in toronto and is eating up minutes with phaneuf (because of the Beachemin and Kaberle trade). As fans in toronto, we've all liked his game very much. He's been showing great consistency and seems like he is going to be staying in the NHL. He will probably be like a Schenn 2.0, just with less shutdown capabilities, if he keeps developing and learning. Burke did say in an interview that he wouldn't have made the trade if Aulie was not included.
Quoting Willybigstick in the same thread on the Trades & Rumors board:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyBigStick View Post
The Keith Aulie discussion thread.
Go tell someone who cares about the exploits of your hometown heroes.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote