HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

About to start coaching, any advice?

Old
03-09-2011, 01:21 AM
RafterRat

vCash: 500
About to start coaching, any advice?

Folks, I am about to start coaching an 11-12yr old roller hockey team. Apshalt rink...ball hockey. I have helped out for 6 years with all of my son's coaches and actually could have been called the official assistant coach with this team last year.

I played ice hockey for 30 years as a goaltender and occasionally defenceman. My advice in the past has usually been directed from that end of the rink and not from an offensive standpoint.

What I am looking for is some good drills or practice tricks that could add to my repetior.

Also any bad experiences you may have had could also help, so I now what not to do.

RafterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
edog37

I coached high school a few years ago & a couple of lessons learned....

1) Don't assume the players have the same passion for the game as you do. You have to find ways of motivating them to go beyond what they think they can do. You can pick up a book on drills or attend a USA Hockey Coaching clinic to get those, but whatever drills you come up with, make them relevant & make sure the drills get the players involved.

2) Roller hockey players are different than ice hockey players. To the point where snowboarders are different than skiers. They will have different habit. Keep that in mind.

3) Parents. The only 4 letter word in the coaching world that is actually 7 letters long. You will learn this soon enough.

4) Get any requisite certifications from USA Hockey out of the way if you haven't done so. You'll need them to coach anyway.

5) Also keep in mind that the players you coach are not just playing for you. They are probably playing on 3-4 other teams with 3-4 other coaching styles. This is where you have to stand out. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this practice since I think it actually hinders a player's development, but it is the reality of the day.

6) Bring your enthusiasm & passion for the game to the rink every day. That will sell it to the players who by nature, are reluctant to begin with....

Good luck believe me, you'll need it....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
thedonger

here's a great tutorial:

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Fleuryoutside29

^hahahaha

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Ask HeadCoach

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:00 PM
RangersAM99

one word, trap.

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Rush22*

Teach your kids to dive and embellish calls so your team sees ample power play time. I recommend showing them Mike Ribeiro videos to teach this.

Also tell your kids to buy the hardest and biggest elbow pads possible so when they find themselves in a position to blindside a player they can get those elbows up and knock out the opposing player from the game. Matt Cooke videos would be a good tool for this practice.

Also I would enroll your kids in the school of Adam Burish so they can learn to come up with witty and dirty remark for the opposing players. Chirping at the other team will cause them to lose focus and possibly will draw penalties from frustration.

Lastly I recommend a book call "The Art of the Crosscheck" written by Chris Pronger. I think this is self explanatory.

Do this and you can become the next Gordon Bombay.

Rush22* is offline   Reply With Quote