HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN3g_ZkxVaU

How we can see more of this from Neal

Old
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

i got a feeling this trade may turn out to be a big win for us

like the cullen/zalapski - francis-ulfie trade

Old
02-21-2011, 07:43 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridoli View Post
More importantly...what numbers will they wear???
I believe Neal was 18 and Niskanen 5. Our current Connor and Engelland. Who will change??

I know this isn't more important, I'm just having fun.
I don't think Nisky (I assume that's what his nickname will be) will want to fight Engelland for his number . Not sure how important the number 18 is to Neal but I imagine Conner wouldn't mind giving it up provided Neal compensates him some how.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:46 PM
JTG

If it were my team, Connor wouldn't have a choice. The conversation would go the following way...

"Who has the one-way deal? Thank you very much."

Old
02-21-2011, 07:47 PM
David71

neal number 18? niskanen 5?

Old
02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
If it were my team, Connor wouldn't have a choice. The conversation would go the following way...

"Who has the one-way deal? Thank you very much."
What's the normal cost of a number? Dinner? Carry a guys bags?

Old
02-21-2011, 07:54 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

maybe he'll go 81

Old
02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I know watches are a popular theme.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
I know watches are a popular theme.
good news for Conner, I thought Watches were more of an NFL/NBA thing but good to know that Hockey players can spend the big bucks when they need to.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:02 PM
hctopcheds11

I really would like to see Neal with Crosby. I know Geno enthusiast will disagree big time but I'd like to see:

Neal-Crosby-Kunitz
Tangradi-Staal-Malkin

And I'm typically NOT a fan of Geno playing wing. If we go with the three center model, I think Kunitz or Neal would be a big upgrade for Geno's wing.

Honestly though, I think all that matters is fit. If Neal works with Crosby keep him there, if he works with Geno keep him there. No one should be saying that automatically a certain player should be playing with another player. Its important to see what works.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:14 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I don't know what it is for hockey, but for other sports I have heard of vacations and crazy stuff like that.

Eli Manning when he was drafted by the Giants sent Giants punter Jeff Feagles and his family to Disney. Ironically enough, Feagles was wearing number 11 and Burress wanted that number and bought Feagles a complete outdoor kitchen.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
i got a feeling this trade may turn out to be a big win for us

like the cullen/zalapski - francis-ulfie trade
Yeah, it's kinda early but I felt similar about that trade as I do about this one. I think it's a decisive win for pittsburgh. Not quite to the same magnitude as the Francis deal but very good nonetheless.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

I personally do not want to see Neal or Kunitz playing on their off wing. I think it takes Neal's shot away or Kunitz's aggressive dump-and-chase hitting away somewhat. I think Neal's game could really revitalize Geno also. He would clear space and go hard to the cage with would be more benificial to Geno than it would be to Sid.

Kunitz-Sid-FA
Neal-Geno-Jeffrey
Tangradi-Staal-TK
Cooke-Letestu-Adams

Orpik-Tanger
Martin-Big Z
Depres/Engo/Niskanen

Old
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
WickedWrister

According to everyone, Matt Niskanen is the worst defensemen of all time. His hockey IQ is lower than Forest Gumps, he is unable to defend even the simplest of moves, and no matter what he's getting paid, is way too much.

I really wonder how this guy is still in the league considering how awful he is

Old
02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roberts View Post
I personally do not want to see Neal or Kunitz playing on their off wing. I think it takes Neal's shot away or Kunitz's aggressive dump-and-chase hitting away somewhat. I think Neal's game could really revitalize Geno also. He would clear space and go hard to the cage with would be more benificial to Geno than it would be to Sid.

Kunitz-Sid-FA
Neal-Geno-Jeffrey
Tangradi-Staal-TK
Cooke-Letestu-Adams

Orpik-Tanger
Martin-Big Z
Depres/Engo/Niskanen
I like your lines quite a bit. That makes a lot of sense except I'd keep Cooke with Staal.

Old
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
According to everyone, Matt Niskanen is the worst defensemen of all time. His hockey IQ is lower than Forest Gumps, he is unable to defend even the simplest of moves, and no matter what he's getting paid, is way too much.

He is a "toolsy" guy from all of the reports I've read. I think he'll benifit from DB's style. He's mobile, makes a decent first pass, decent size, decent shot, reasonably physical. He had a pretty good rookie year, and once projected as a pretty good prospect. I've heard that he lost a lot of confidence when Mark Crawford got down on him.
If he works, out, great, if not, then we waive him and bury him win WBS. I just hope that if Neal leaves when his contract is up that Niskanen doesn't turn into the Dupuis of the trade and RS doesn't keep him to save face by keeping someone from the trade.

Old
hctopcheds11

Quote:

Kunitz-Sid-FA
Neal-Geno-Jeffrey
Tangradi-Staal-TK
Cooke-Letestu-Adams

Orpik-Tanger
Martin-Big Z
Depres/Engo/Niskanen
I don't think anything should be decided on who plays with who until we actually see how they play together. If Neal and Crosby are dynamite, you leave them together. Same goes for Neal and Geno. Lets see who gives us the best combo.

The best part of the Neal trade is that it gives us options. Whether its Neal with Geno or Kunitz with Geno, he gets a significant upgrade on the wing.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I don't think anything should be decided on who plays with who until we actually see how they play together. If Neal and Crosby are dynamite, you leave them together. Same goes for Neal and Geno. Lets see who gives us the best combo.
Well, we already know Sid plays well with Kunitz, so logically Neal should be tried with Geno as he is in need of a quality winger more than Sid is. Not every good winger should automatically be given to Sid first.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post

Expectations were always very high in Dallas since he was a 1st rounder and got off to a hot start early in his career. He hasn't lived up to those expectations the past couple years, but a new team, new system and a better supporting cast of defenders around him could get him back on track. It's worth a shot anyway. Regardless, Neal for Gogo is an even trade. Niskanen becoming anything of value to us will just be a bonus.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

Quote:

The best part of the Neal trade is that it gives us options. Whether its Neal with Geno or Kunitz with Geno, he gets a significant upgrade on the wing.
I just think that Neal's style of play lends itself more to complimenting Malkin's style of play. Put a two-way player like Jeffrey or Johnson on the other wing and I think it balances the line-up a lot more than putting two LW's on one line and leaving Malkin with scraps.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:31 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud Won View Post
Well, we already know Sid plays well with Kunitz, so logically Neal should be tried with Geno as he is in need of a quality winger more than Sid is. Not every good winger should automatically be given to Sid first.
I didn't say that they should be and Kunitz has never been tried with a half healthy Evgeni Malkin. And I really hate the argument that "Geno needs it more". Sid can absolutely use a better winger too. Lets just be patient and see what works. Again, its all about fit. If Neal works better with Geno, I'm absolutely good with that. But if him and Crosby are great, they should be together.

I'm not saying he should be given to Crosby but based on this season, if Crosby comes back, hes going to get the first shot at having Neal.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:33 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
I just think that Neal's style of play lends itself more to complimenting Malkin's style of play. Put a two-way player like Jeffrey or Johnson on the other wing and I think it balances the line-up a lot more than putting two LW's on one line and leaving Malkin with scraps.
In what universe is Chris Kunitz "scraps"? I just don't buy it. I'm fine with one going on one line and one going on the other. But lets just see who works with who best first. Which I'm sure is what DB will try.

I actually personally think that Neal would be perfect for either one of them.

EDIT: I see. I guess you meant if they both were on Sids line. I would only both put them with Sid if we used the two center model.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

Quote:
In what universe is Chris Kunitz "scraps"? I just don't buy it. I'm fine with one going on one line and one going on the other. But lets just see who works with who best first. Which I'm sure is what DB will try.

I actually personally think that Neal would be perfect for either one of them.
I thought you were subscribing to the Kunitz-Crosby-Neal theory. I think Kunitz has proven that his only real value as a top-6er for the Pens is on Sid's wing. And I think Geno has proven that he needs a shooter to be dominant.

Maybe if it's up to DB when Neal goes 2 games w/o scoring he'll go to the press box

Old
02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Not sure why, but I want to see Neal wear 61.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
I thought you were subscribing to the Kunitz-Crosby-Neal theory. I think Kunitz has proven that his only real value as a top-6er for the Pens is on Sid's wing. And I think Geno has proven that he needs a shooter to be dominant.

Maybe if it's up to DB when Neal goes 2 games w/o scoring he'll go to the press box
No.. I meant this:

Neal-Crosby-Kunitz
Tangradi-Staal-Malkin

And I usually don't like the idea of the two center model but thats just sick. If we go three centers, I like:

Neal/Kunitz-Crosby-FA/Tangradi/Jeffrey
Neal/Kunitz-Malkin-FA/Tangradi/Jeffrey
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

For one of the first times since its been suggested, I actually kind of like the two center model. That top 6 with the emmergence of Jeffrey/Letestu as a third line center is just straight nasty.

Closed Thread