HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Bylsma's saying Neal - Staal - Kennedy will be a line against the Sharks which should be good to see.
FYP.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcastlemagic View Post
On the topic of looking too far ahead, wouldn't:

Kunitz - Crosby - Malkin
Neal - Staal - Kennedy

be kind of awesome?
I don't want Sid and Geno on the same line, especially now that we've got at least enough top six wingers to put one on each of their lines.

I'd actually be intrigued by something like (assuming the team wants to stick with the Geno/Staal combination) the following going into next season:
Kunitz - Crosby - FA winger/Kennedy
Neal - Staal - Malkin

Old
02-22-2011, 03:38 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Kunitz, Neal...thats five legit top 6 players. All we need is one of the centers to learn how to play wing and add another winger.

I love Neals cap hit by the way.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:38 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Bylsma's saying Neal - Staal - Kennedy will be a line against the Stars which should be good to see.
Woudl be good if we could get Kuni back for that game as well. Highly doubtful though.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:40 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't want Sid and Geno on the same line, especially now that we've got at least enough top six wingers to put one on each of their lines.

I'd actually be intrigued by something like (assuming the team wants to stick with the Geno/Staal combination) the following going into next season:
Kunitz - Crosby - FA winger/Kennedy
Neal - Staal - Malkin
One of the biggest mistake the Pens have made in some time is trying to make Malkin a second line winger. He needs to be centering a line or on a line with Sid.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:40 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcastlemagic View Post
On the topic of looking too far ahead, wouldn't:

Kunitz - Crosby - Malkin
Neal - Staal - Kennedy

be kind of awesome?
If Neal sees similar results as Kunitz has with Staal, that 2nd line could be good for everybody involved, especially if Kennedy catches fire and we get him signed to a sub-1.0 cap hit.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
One of the biggest mistake the Pens have made in some time is trying to make Malkin a second line winger. He needs to be centering a line or on a line with Sid.
I typically agree. My proposed lines were under the assumption, though, that the club still decides it wants to try Staal and Malkin on the same line.

As for Sid playing with Malkin, I just think that now that we have Neal, we have enough top six guys to scramble around and spread the depth so Sid and Geno don't have to play together. Them on separate lines makes us a deeper/tougher team to line match against, and now they each can have a legitimate top six winger on their lines.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Shady Machine

I know these arguments get beat to death and we all have our own opinions but I really want Malkin centering his own line. We now have a legit winger to put with him and we can try one of our "lesser" centers in Letestu and Jeffrey try to adapt to wing. I think Neal / Malkin / Tube or Jeffrey with Staal in his normal 3rd line role makes this team the strongest. We could now legitimately roll 3 strong lines.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Shady Machine

Of course all of this is moot until next season anyways.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

When healthy I also prefer the three center approach. We will have the cap space to get one more good wing this offseason, and the Staal does amazing with guys like Cooke on that third line. Unless they are looking to keep Staal happy and he is unhappy in that role, I do not see it as being an experiment that will be an improvement from a hockey standpoint. But with Malkin out, and not knowing who Shero may bring in in the offseason, we have a long time before we need to start worrying about it.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I know these arguments get beat to death and we all have our own opinions but I really want Malkin centering his own line. We now have a legit winger to put with him and we can try one of our "lesser" centers in Letestu and Jeffrey try to adapt to wing. I think Neal / Malkin / Tube or Jeffrey with Staal in his normal 3rd line role makes this team the strongest. We could now legitimately roll 3 strong lines.
Yeah I see no valid reason for Staal to play with Malkin right now unless you count gluttony. We can now have 3 legit lines as you said. Keep Staal with his usual and just fill the first two right wings with free agents or whoever from our current crops of 'eh' players.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:00 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Yeah I see no valid reason for Staal to play with Malkin right now unless you count gluttony. We can now have 3 legit lines as you said. Keep Staal with his usual and just fill the first two right wings with free agents or whoever from our current crops of 'eh' players.
Exactly how I am thinking.

Crosby - Malkin - Staal - Letestu is tremendous center depth. The only idea I would like to see them toy with is TK on the Crosby or Malkin line. Otherwise I think Jeffey could potentially fill one of those roles and they really only have to worry about getting another top 6 guy this summer.

Kunitz - Crosby - UFA
Neal - Malkin - Jeffrey
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Conner? - Letestu - Adams

Old
02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Exactly how I am thinking.

Crosby - Malkin - Staal - Letestu is tremendous center depth. The only idea I would like to see them toy with is TK on the Crosby or Malkin line. Otherwise I think Jeffey could potentially fill one of those roles and they really only have to worry about getting another top 6 guy this summer.

Kunitz - Crosby - UFA
Neal - Malkin - Jeffrey
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Conner? - Letestu - Adams
That looks good to me. My only counter would be replacing conner with a physical guy or more gritty player. I have really liked Vitale so far and wouldn't mind seeing him on the 4th line next year. Then your 13th guy can be a veteran presence. Maybe Asham or Rupp is they sign for cheap.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:05 PM
MtlPenFan

Staalkin is happening whether people like it or not. Letestu isn't going to center any fourth line on this team.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
That looks good to me. My only counter would be replacing conner with a physical guy or more gritty player. I have really liked Vitale so far and wouldn't mind seeing him on the 4th line next year. Then your 13th guy can be a veteran presence. Maybe Asham or Rupp is they sign for cheap.
I would like a PKer in that spot. If they think Vitale can handle that then fine, but it should be a PKer. There's already 4 there but with injuries I'd like another. I'd also like someone similar for the 13th forward. Eff fighting, it doesn't matter.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeKilledJFK View Post
Called it
Yah... I mentioned my doubts earlier today too. Not sure why anyone would think an occasional callup guy is going to keep the number over a guy like Neal.

Also your name is very inspiring. You need to post in the Most Overdue Thread Ever ™.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:08 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Staalkin is happening whether people like it or not. Letestu isn't going to center any fourth line on this team.
You're probably right, even though it's completely retarded. I don't understand the Letestu comment.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:09 PM
cadow

Yea lines for next year
Kunitz Crosby Neal
Tangradi Staal malkin
Cooke letestu Kennedy
Talbot Jeffery Adams
Woo!

Old
02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Wickedtune

Quote:
I agree. I had no problems with the plan to play Malkin and Staal together because of our lack of wings this year. With now that we have Neal I'd rather see the big three down the middle. Without including new players I'd like to see something like this tried next year:

Kunitz-Crosby-Jeffrey
Neal-Malkin-Letestu
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Rupp-Vitale-Adams

Jeffrey and Letestu could be flip-flopped, but I like the idea of Letestu taking draws for Geno. I'd also be interested in maybe trying out Johnson or Sterling with Crosby. Jeffrey could center the fourth line then, and Vitale could stay in WBS another year. I just hope that Letestu can transition to wing, because I don't really see him as a fourth line player.

edit: I'll probably be flamed for wanting Bylsma's man-crush Rupp re-signed, but I do want someone with size who can drop the gloves if need be on the fourth line.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedtune View Post
I agree. I had no problems with the plan to play Malkin and Staal together because of our lack of wings this year. With now that we have Neal I'd rather see the big three down the middle. Without including new players I'd like to see something like this tried next year:

Kunitz-Crosby-Jeffrey
Neal-Malkin-Letestu
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Rupp-Vitale-Adams

Jeffrey and Letestu could be flip-flopped, but I like the idea of Letestu taking draws for Geno. I'd also be interested in maybe trying out Johnson or Sterling with Crosby. Jeffrey could center the fourth line then, and Vitale could stay in WBS another year. I just hope that Letestu can transition to wing, because I don't really see him as a fourth line player.

edit: I'll probably be flamed for wanting Bylsma's man-crush Rupp re-signed, but I do want someone with size who can drop the gloves if need be on the fourth line.
I agree with you on Rupp or someone similar actually. Although I'm not in love with Rupp on this team, I think we need a at least one big forward that can drop the gloves. While I agree a "fighter" like Godard isn't needed, we will want someone who can put on the ice when things get chippy. Rupp fills that void and he can still play (he has actually played quite well lately IMO). As long as he stops getting PP time I am happy with resigning him.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
You're probably right, even though it's completely retarded. I don't understand the Letestu comment.
I'm just saying that they didn't sign Letestu to play 8 minutes a game centering a fourth line. I get that they signed him way before we finally picked up a bona fide winger to change the team's dynamic, but Letestu isn't a fourth line player. Add to that: where does Jeffrey play?

I mean a lot of it depends on who else they pick up (if anyone) in the summer to fill in the role of scoring winger for whoever doesn't play with Neal, but I STILL don't get this messianic resistance to Malkin playing wing.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I'm just saying that they didn't sign Letestu to play 8 minutes a game centering a fourth line. I get that they signed him way before we finally picked up a bona fide winger to change the team's dynamic, but Letestu isn't a fourth line player. Add to that: where does Jeffrey play?

I mean a lot of it depends on who else they pick up (if anyone) in the summer to fill in the role of scoring winger for whoever doesn't play with Neal, but I STILL don't get this messianic resistance to Malkin playing wing.
I guess what I don't get is why don't we just move Staal to wing then for people that want the Staalkin thing to happen. Staal is hardly better at faceoffs and had scored over 20 on the wing his rookie season with Malkin (I'm intentionally not including the 7 shorty's). I get that Staal is awesome defensively but Malkin has that ability to shown when he led the team in takeaways. I just think to say we are going to cater to Staal and even Letestu by keeping them at their natural positions over Malkin is absolutely ridiculous. I can accept first priority is Crosby, but it has to Malkin after that.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Shady Machine

I should state that I don't want Staal on wing either just throwing it out there for people that want Staalkin. I prefer the big three down the middle now that we have Neal and then move Letestu up to top 6 wing and if he doesn't work there then 4th line center and PP time is just fine.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:

To be honest I think they will play him wherever they want. $625k a year isn't exactly a commitment to slotting a guy in a certain place. Plus I don't see the logic in the main reason for Staal and Malkin playing together being that Letestu of all players "has" to player somewhere specific. Also in my opinion Jeffrey is already better than Letestu, he just needs more time to show it. Again, my opinion.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Unless Tangradi gets traded like so many people are clamoring for right now..

The Tangradi Staal Malkin line is going to wreck teams on the forecheck one day.

It may not have happened this year with injuries to all 3, but it is coming.

Teams are going to to have their hands full trying to contain these three.

Closed Thread