HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Penguins for Alex Goligoski.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:37 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djungelurban View Post
Atleast this means that Richards will stay... Cause losing both Neal and Richards the same damn season... Well, Nieuwy would have to leave town...
If anything, this means we should do everything we can to trade Richards now as well IMO.

Did we already forget how difficult it was to find people that had any chemistry with Richards? The idea that Benn is just going to step in on his wing and not miss a beat is nothing but speculation. We've already broken up one of the best 1st lines in hockey, don't stop now.

Then add in the fact that the guy who was just acquired's main calling card is a PPQB and you just negated a decent portion of Richards' worth to the team.

Of course the concussion may make it all impossible anyway and he leaves in the offseason and the team misses the playoffs and the rebuilding begins.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

vCash: 500
What does Dallas forward group look like?

Ott-Wandell-Eriksson
Morrow-Ribeiro-Lagenbrunner
xxx-Gagnon-Vincour
Petersen-Sutherby-Williams

*Richards, *Benn, *Burish

Grossman-Robidas
Goligoski-Daley
Fistric-Skrastins

Lehtonen

The D looks more mobile, but the injuries have just decimated this team.

Last edited by Ogi1Kenobi: 02-21-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I am surprised you guys aren't as disappointed as I expected.
Sorry to ruin your Schadenfreude moment, but we've been talking for a good while now that Neal was the odd guy out and the one most likely to be dealt. I proposed flipping him + 1st rounder in 2010, before the draft that is, for Patrick Sharp.

Quote:
Or are you guys more or less fine with it because you have Benn?
We saved a whole bunch of money for this and the next season...around $2.5 million. That gives us a lot of room to negotiate with Richards if required. And yes, we have Benn.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
From a Pens fans perspective -

You will love Gogo. He was really improving defensively and has even thrown a few hits in the last 10-15 games. He is a willing shot-blocker. He has a great first pass. He knows how to jump up into the offensive zone.

Most importantly: He is not a weakness like he used to be defensively. He can and will do well in Dallas. You guys got yourselves one hell of a player. We will definitely miss #3. It just came down to two teams w/ what one another needed most.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Dylonus

I liked Goose here in Pittsburgh, but we needed a winger.

Go Go / Goose will do well if you stick a nice defensive defensemen with him.

I hope this works out for you guys.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Goli is a really good young dman with enormous offensive potential who's game is really starting to be complete. He's not a big hitter but he is a great skater great at controlling a pp and getting much better positionally. I think in a few years this trade will be a wash. Good for both teams as the Pens needed a good winger and the Stars needed a good offensive dman.

Niskanen could be the turning tide but who knows with him?

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Hemsky coming here as well?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...n-PLAY/1/33883

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

when i saw my goat was traded i smiled, when i saw it was to dallas i rolled my eyes. figures, i still gotta watch him lol.

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Ub the Bub

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
Ugh... ...I don't wanna know what he's willing to give up to get him... Eriksson, Lehtonen and a 1st probably... *sigh*

Ub the Bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:48 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
If anything, this means we should do everything we can to trade Richards now as well IMO.

Did we already forget how difficult it was to find people that had any chemistry with Richards? The idea that Benn is just going to step in on his wing and not miss a beat is nothing but speculation. We've already broken up one of the best 1st lines in hockey, don't stop now.

Then add in the fact that the guy who was just acquired's main calling card is a PPQB and you just negated a decent portion of Richards' worth to the team.

Of course the concussion may make it all impossible anyway and he leaves in the offseason and the team misses the playoffs and the rebuilding begins.
Sorry, but I can't agree with your fatalist policy on account of losing Neal. If Neal indeed have that kind of chemistry with Richards, then he'd have done a lot more, but he didn't. I also believe that Richards and Eriksson have more chemistry than Richards and Neal, and we kept Eriksson. Good decision!

I also don't agree that by acquiring a PMD, we've nullified Richards' worth. How is that? Richards doesn't play both points, and Goligoski, rather than Robidas would be a better asset along side Richards on the PP or he could take up Richards' spot and give him the freedom to make some plays in the offensive zone during the PP. Why can't you think on those terms?

Lastly, right now any result is possible. Yes we may yet again miss the playoffs and if that's the case then so be it. I'm glad we fulfilled a DIRE NEED since Zubov left (not saying that Gogo = Zubov) and NEVER addressed it until now. We also saved a good deal of cash that enables us to make a pretty good decision regarding impending signings or acquiring UFAs.

The deal is done and Gogo is a Star till 2011-12. Let's focus on analyzing this more objectively and ignore the dolts who feel the need to spout their asinine one-liners.

Old
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

Quote:
It's Eklund..

Regarding the trade, I think it's a good deal. You guys got a potential top PMD. The homers on HF are acting like Neal is Ovechkin

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'm okay with this, for now.

Really hoping Nieuwy knows what he's doing.

02-21-2011, 04:49 PM
DallasSports

Quote:
Atleast this means that Richards will stay... Cause losing both Neal and Richards the same damn season... Well, Nieuwy would have to leave town...
That actually reminds me of something. Does/did Neal still live with Richards? If anything, I'm actually more worried about their chances to re-sign Richards this offseason.

If you were Brad Richards, would you re-sign here? You just lost one of your linemates and the ownership situation is completely up in the air.

I'll try to give this one a chance like the Lehtonen/Vishnevskiy trade (which actually looks pretty good in hindsight), but it just seems like they lost this one.

DallasSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Quote:
Ugh... ...I don't wanna know what he's willing to give up to get him... Eriksson, Lehtonen and a 1st probably... *sigh*
That could be scary.

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Shoulda known better than to click on an Eklund link.

Why does he have a Ducks ice girl in a thread about Pittsburgh and Dallas?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:51 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Now that's just cynicism, mate!

Old
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I'm okay with this, for now.

Really hoping Nieuwy knows what he's doing.
You would hope but in his short time here he has shown he really doesn't know what hes doing and a lot of his moves are highly regretted in hind sight.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:53 PM
piqued

Goligoski is over 2 years older than Neal, also.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Neal and Richards "broke up" this summer and now live in separate places.

Dallas has such LW depth it's funny (at least, when everyone is reasonably healthy). Losing Neal does not significantly impact their LW depth.

And I'm with GLU - I think Neal's value has gone down as this year went on because of the continued streakiness.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Goligoski is over 2 years older than Neal, also.
And Goligoski plays a much more valuable position, both in terms of assets needed to acquire and on this particular team.

If you think Neal has the chance to be one of the best players ever developed by this organization, you haven't paid a lot of attention to previous players (Modano, Lehtinen and Hatcher) or current ones (Eriksson and Benn).

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM
txdude5101

We shall see!
I think Goligoski should get to keep his number!

txdude5101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
ProdigalOne*

Pens fans are being pretty nice is saying Goligoski is a great player but in reality he has been very insulated. Doesn't get the hard minutes, so if you start putting him against the Getzlafs and Kopitars he will get eaten up. He isn't particularly strong along the boards, and he isn't an amazing puck mover - just good. He is a pretty smart player and has good offensive instincts and decision making. However he is already 25 and i really think he ceiling is about how is now. 15 goal 25-30 assist guy that plays the easy minutes.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
ProdigalOne*

Oh i forgot to mention... Gogo is very inconsistent in terms of offense which i guess is expected... He seems to have a knack for scoring game winners though so i guess thats a positive.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:59 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Sorry, but I can't agree with your fatalist policy on account of losing Neal. If Neal indeed have that kind of chemistry with Richards, then he'd have done a lot more, but he didn't. I also believe that Richards and Eriksson have more chemistry than Richards and Neal, and we kept Eriksson. Good decision!
All it takes is watching them to see the chemistry Neal and Richards had and the way they were able to dominate possession in the offensive zone. He did plenty. Eriksson has chemistry with everyone, it doesn't matter whether Richards is here or not.
Quote:
Lastly, right now any result is possible. Yes we may yet again miss the playoffs and if that's the case then so be it. I'm glad we fulfilled a DIRE NEED since Zubov left (not saying that Gogo = Zubov) and NEVER addressed it until now.
Should've been done at the draft.
Quote:
We also saved a good deal of cash that enables us to make a pretty good decision regarding impending signings or acquiring UFAs.
Oh, great, we saved some ****ing cash. Hooray for our broke team. Maybe that'll give us the flexibility to overpay to retain our own mediocre players. Everything about the Richards situation indicates that ownership is the problem, not money. And you sure as **** don't trade away a player like Neal using that as any part of the rationale.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Bank

Maybe a crazy thought but...

Could Newie be thinking something along the lines of:

Out:
Neal
Phillip Larsen
Niskanen
+(second round pick perhaps)

In:
Gogo
Hemsky

And then try to make the team more balanced shipping a LW for a RW and a prospect for a proven QBPP? Or is this wishfull thinking?

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote