HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Neal and Matt Niskanen for Alex Goligoski

Old
02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
elsubz

vCash: 500
Jesus Christ bro post this in the out of town thread, I was like ''Oh sweeet Habs made a trade!'' ''James Neal and Niskanen!? HOLY *****!'' for Alex...(expecting Auld) Goligoski...FFFUUUU!!!

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He will have all the pp time there, he will be fine. Letang was becoming the leader in Pittsburgh in terms of pp, Goligoski was slowing down a little probably the best for him
Oh I'm sure he'll help it, but I doubt his stats suddenly go up.

They're PP may be ranked 11th in the league, but they're also 2nd for giving up shorties, with 10 against them. It's not like Pittsburgh was relying on him either, as you mentioned, they have Letang. So he became tradeable and they are able to pick up both Neal and Niskanen.

Unbelievable.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
There isn't one untouchable on this team, in my mind. Trades would be a lot easier to make if they had a clue what direction they were going in, what they were building around etc.
But would you have traded Subban for Neal? Answer the question.

If so, you trade to replace one hole only to create another.

Not trading guys like Subban, Price, Pacioretty is start as to what they are building around.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Oh I'm sure he'll help it, but I doubt his stats suddenly go up.

They're PP may be ranked 11th in the league, but they're also 2nd for giving up shorties, with 10 against them. It's not like Pittsburgh was relying on him either, as you mentioned, they have Letang. So he became tradeable and they are able to pick up both Neal and Niskanen.

Unbelievable.
Pittsburgh fans are saying he's been their best D since Crosby went down and the only D with a positive +/- during the same time span.

Just a bit of info.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:57 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Would you have been willing to trade Subban for Neal or Stewart? Remember that Subban isn't as seasoned as Goligoski and isn't nearly as good Johnson right now in his career.
Definitely not interested in moving Subban. He is more important to the Habs than Neal would be. Subban is already playing as the #1 dman on the team. Tops in minutes, playing PP and PK, and also against the other teams best line. I don't think the Habs had what it took to get Neal from Dallas without dealing Subban. For Colorado, I don't think they would have traded for Subban. Shattenkirk is very comparable to Subban right now. I'm sure Price would have been what they wanted. They still need a young #1 goalie to grow with their young team.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Jesus Christ bro post this in the out of town thread, I was like ''Oh sweeet Habs made a trade!'' ''James Neal and Niskanen!? HOLY *****!'' for Alex...(expecting Auld) Goligoski...FFFUUUU!!!
When are people like you going to realize that it was a MOD that decided on this rule?

Jesus Christ, bro.

Old
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Pittsburgh fans are saying he's been their best D since Crosby went down and the only D with a positive +/- during the same time span.

Just a bit of info.
Agreed. But isn't the +/- supposed to be a useless stat?

Old
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I don't know. Yesterday if I asked you ''would Dallas trade James Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski'' would you have answered me ''yes'' with a straight face?

I get what your point, but when guys like Wisniewski go for 2nd rounders you have to wonder what Nieuwie drank, smoked or injected before agreeing to a trade like that.
Probably not, I was just pointing out that the only way we could match or beat Pittsburgh's offer was to have a defenseman similar in value to Goligoski. I agree with you that Dallas definitely lost this trade.

It's gotta be financial, maybe to clear some cap space next season to re-sign Richards.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Nidema

Quote:

Agreed. But isn't the +/- supposed to be a useless stat?
+/- is the ultimate stat when it promotes your point and the worst stat when it counters your point.

Depends on how posters want to spin it.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
All major completed trades are going to have their own threads until after the deadline. This way everything isn't crammed into one thread, causing a bunch of you to send me whiny pm's.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
JSBach

Thought the Habs got Neal for a sec. My heart almost stopped.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Enough, all of you shut up. After freezing my ass off yesterday watching our team get their ***** handed to them. Flying home early this morning, and getting minimal sleep. I'm in no ****ing mood to put up with crap today.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Interesting to note. On Twitter, @RealKyper suggested that this big move could suggest Crosby might be done for the season. He's been out 7 weeks now and has done nothing but rest.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Enough, all of you shut up. After freezing my ass off yesterday watching our team get their ***** handed to them. Flying home early this morning, and getting minimal sleep. I'm in no ****ing mood to put up with crap today.
Yes boss!

I'm going to repost my thoughts here from what I posted in another thread.

Quote:
Wow, there must be a pick going to Dallas along with that. That's a great deal for Pittsburgh.

You can argue that Dallas really really wanted Goligoski and was willing to overpay to get him. That implies two things in my opinion. There might have been a bidding process to acquire Goligoski from other teams. Second, Dallas might have been dead set on Goligoski and didn't want anything else. So guys can forget Weber+Kristo for Neal.

Just my musings.
My 2 cents denominated in japanese currency.

Quote:
Interesting to note. On Twitter, @RealKyper suggested that this big move could suggest Crosby might be done for the season. He's been out 7 weeks now and has done nothing but rest.
I don't know. To me, that means they expect Crosby back in time for playoffs so they can pair the two together. If they acquire Kovalev as well, that would be a scary 1st line come playoffs.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Habs

Quote:
Not trading guys like Subban, Price, Pacioretty is start as to what they are building around.
... oh wait, we are in another rebuilding phase? Since when? If so, why did we spend so much money on free agents a couple years ago? Why are we hanging onto the wrong Kostitsyn?

If I could trade Subban and build the team I thought was the direction to go in, I'd trade him.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Luckily I got the TSN Alert before seeing this thread, so heart-attack was avoided.

Maybe we should have a "Confirmed Trade with Link" and a "Confirmed Habs Trade with Link"??

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Nidema

Quote:
... oh wait, we are in another rebuilding phase? Since when? If so, why did we spend so much money on free agents a couple years ago? Why are we hanging onto the wrong Kostitsyn?

If I could trade Subban and build the team I thought was the direction to go in, I'd trade him.
Building around players does not mean rebuilding.

Pittsburgh builds around Crosby, Malkin and Letang. Are they rebuilding?

Old
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Andy

Quote:

Where did I say that we were rebuilding? I said building around players.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:

You'd make an interesting GM Habs. I would have been tempted, but wouldn't have had the guts to trade Subban for those 2 Dallas players. If I was offered what St.Louis was for E.Johnson straight up for Subban though, I would have pulled the trigger.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Habs

Quote:
Where did I say that we were rebuilding? I said building around players.
I believe I misread you, must be all the spit on my monitor, enraged over my hatred of PG.

.. and I'm too lazy to go back and edit my post now. So go ahead, give it to me.

Old
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Luckily I got the TSN Alert before seeing this thread, so heart-attack was avoided.

Maybe we should have a "Confirmed Trade with Link" and a "Confirmed Habs Trade with Link"??
Or maybe we should just look at the thread title for a second longer before opening the thread.

Old
MTL-rules

So an overrated soft defenceman gets you a Top 6 PF, yet PG was only able to get Lars ****ing Eller for Halak...

Can we kidnap Holgrem, Shero, Chiarelli and cie and make them work for the habs ?

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Nidema

Quote:
You'd make an interesting GM Habs. I would have been tempted, but wouldn't have had the guts to trade Subban for those 2 Dallas players. If I was offered what St.Louis was for E.Johnson straight up for Subban though, I would have pulled the trigger.
Agreed.

I wouldn't have traded Subban for a player struggling to perform consistently on a line with Richard and Eriksson given that we don't have that similar talent to complement him here. (in other words, if he struggles with those guys, what guarantees do we have that he will pan out in MTL). Even if you add in Niskanen, he has underachieved this year. If Subban is traded, it would be in a package to bring in a big name player.

for Shattenkirk and Stewart, I would pull the trigger. Doubt COL would accept.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
So an overrated soft defenceman gets you a Top 6 PF, yet PG was only able to get Lars ****ing Eller for Halak...

Can we kidnap Holgrem, Shero, Chiarelli and cie and make them work for the habs ?
Apples and oranges, the market for goalies is much weaker than it is for offensive defensemen.

Old
02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Habs

Quote:
I think we share the same ideas on what direction the team should be going in though.