HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

James Neal and Matt Niskanen for Alex Goligoski

Old
02-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Here's one for the HF faithful, would you have done Neal for Weber (a downgrade on Goli) & 2 first round picks?

That IMO is what it would have taken for us to convince Dallas to take our package, despite Goligoski being the better player today (you can't ignore the assets those picks are).
It's James Neal, not a superstar. I want Neal, but two first round picks for that type of player? Sure it's a player type we need, but he isn't a superstar and you're giving up wayyyy too much.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Kevin Allen who is a good insider said that Atlanta called Gauthier for Halak and that Gauthier asked for Patrice Cormier. Dudley followed by refusing and never called Gauthier back.

So I wonder how much Halak was really worth if Dudley didn't even want to trade Cormier for him, yet we were expecting Backes or Oshie.
What goalie trades have ever brought a superstar back the otherway? There is no market for them. We were just being fans when we hoped Backes or Oshie were coming back for him. Huet was traded for a 2nd and Brygalov was just thrown on waivers.

This trade isn't that bad imo. Think whatever you want about Niskanen, Dallas needed to shed some salary. The Stars also have a replacement for Neal in their lineup named Jamie Benn. They also have a forward with size in Morrow. What they don't have is puck moving dman who is a threat on the PP. So they went out and got one.

As for people complaining about us not making a deal for Neal - Subban is better than Goligoski and Weber is worse. This itself makes the deal more complicated. Throw in the fact that we are not in the position to take on more salary which was another reason Dallas made this trade, we were not good trading partners with Dallas.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
We were reading to deal Halak for Patrice ****ing Cormier?

Excuse me while I vomit.

Also, this is lulz:

Lol, the seguin, knight and 1st for Kessel was better.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Nidema

Quote:
It's James Neal, not a superstar. I want Neal, but two first round picks for that type of player? Sure it's a player type we need, but he isn't a superstar and you're giving up wayyyy too much.
I really like Neal, but I'm not sure I would give up a 1st round pick for him right now, let alone two.

I would do weber, Kristo and mid pick, which dallas would most likely say no to.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I didn't say I'd do it, I'm saying this is likely what would have been required on our end to beat their deal (WITHOUT replacing Weber with Subban).

I'd rather give up 2 firsts on Neal then on Kessel though.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
I really like Neal, but I'm not sure I would give up a 1st round pick for him right now, let alone two.

I would do weber, Kristo and mid pick, which dallas would most likely say no to.
I'd give up first and not look back if it takes Andrei Kostitsyn out of our Top 6, nevermind the fact we are terrible at drafting in the first round and it would likely be a pick in the 10-20 range anyways.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
any inside info, so you can show us otherwise ?
Nothing more than the fans who think this was the best deal PG could have gotten.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Nothing more than the fans who think this was the best deal PG could have gotten.
Really? Well I have previous trades over the last few years to back up my statement. What are you using to back up yours?

Maybe you should have stopped at the word that I bolded.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Really? Well I have previous trades over the last few years to back up my statement. What are you using to back up yours?

Maybe you should have stopped at the word that I bolded.
Excuse me? Did you tap PG's phone? You have no idea what players were offered or what deals were on the table.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Habs13

James Neal is EXACTLY what this team needs... son of a *****.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
PATCHESx67

i hope PG atleast tried...Neal is what this team f*(^%(^$ needs

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:40 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post

Wait, you're saying you aren't sure about giving up a 1st rounder for Neal?

Is this real life?

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
James Neal is EXACTLY what this team needs... son of a *****.
I lol'd for some reason..

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Excuse me? Did you tap PG's phone? You have no idea what players were offered or what deals were on the table.
Aren't we polite, you're excused.

Unfortunately as well as I thought I had typed my last post, you still didn't quite grasp what I was saying, so I'll try one last time.

History has shown that the value of goalies over the last few years is low. Not one goalie has been traded for their true value during that time. Could PG have gotten a lot more for Halak, maybe, but considering the goalie market, and previous trades involving goalies over the past few years. I highly doubt it.

No where did I say I had any insider information. I hope we understand each other a little better.

Old
02-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Odelein24

Another detail people often forget about the Halak deal was that he had NO CONTRACT.

Odelein24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Dr_Hook

I think Goligoski is overrated ; never thought he was all that good. I don't get to see Dallas all that much, but if Neal is as good as he looked when I saw him, this is a 1st class rob job by Shero...

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:09 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Aren't we polite, you're excused.

Unfortunately as well as I thought I had typed my last post, you still didn't quite grasp what I was saying, so I'll try one last time.

History has shown that the value of goalies over the last few years is low. Not one goalie has been traded for their true value during that time. Could PG have gotten a lot more for Halak, maybe, but considering the goalie market, and previous trades involving goalies over the past few years. I highly doubt it.

No where did I say I had any insider information. I hope we understand each other a little better.
I know exactly what you were saying, but I can guarantee if Halak fetched a 2nd and a 3rd you'd say the same exact thing. Goalies do not fetch a lot, but I refuse to believe the Eller deal was the best he could do, that's all.

Something that bothers me about a smart alecky mod.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I know exactly what you were saying, but I can guarantee if Halak fetched a 2nd and a 3rd you'd say the same exact thing. Goalies do not fetch a lot, but I refuse to believe the Eller deal was the best he could do, that's all.

Something that bothers me about a smart alecky mod.
You can't guarantee what I would say, so stop trying to put words in my mouth. If in fact we had received those two draft picks, I would have been pissed and would have agreed with your statement.

So you think that Gauthier took a lesser deal. No problem, but you have nothing to back up your claim, just your gut feeling. I'm atleast trying to produce facts to back up my opinion.

As for being a smart alecky mod, I dish out what I receive. So if you talk to me like an ass, be prepared to get it right back.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I would have traded Subban for that package. In a heartbeat.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
knuck
On and off fan

can we NOT have "confirmed with links - X player for (.....)" on the habs board ? I almost had a freaking heart attack

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Isn't there a Out of town thread?

But yeah, Dallas got ****ed big time. Crosby finally gets someone to play with.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:34 PM
HomaridII

Lebrun and Mckenzie both think it is an even deal.

They say Goli is a top 4 offensive Dman who was playing behind other guys in Pitt yet still producing big and that Neal is a good player but not consistent enough.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Pittsburgh fans are saying he's been their best D since Crosby went down and the only D with a positive +/- during the same time span.

Just a bit of info.
I agree most people seem to undervalue him, but he's a blue chip guy. I think both teams got great value in this trade. Pitts get a very good young player in Neal who can play with anyone on Pitts' top two lines while Dallas gets a guy who has Markov type upside. Good trade all around. Niskanen is a disappointment but is a low risk high reward player for the Pens who can put him with a number of decent partners and hope to see him thrive. I don't see him really brining much except as a bottom pairing guy...at least in the near future.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
can we NOT have "confirmed with links - X player for (.....)" on the habs board ? I almost had a freaking heart attack
Short answer "No". The long answer, is still No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Isn't there a Out of town thread?

But yeah, Dallas got ****ed big time. Crosby finally gets someone to play with.
We're allowing major trades to have their own thread until the end of trade deadline day.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Experts are saying how it is.

A) Puck moving defenseman are pricey.
B) Goligoski is underrated

You people have to understand that Brad Boyes was traded for Dennis Wideman and everyone went LOLWTF ? Boston is soooo stupid.

Brad Boyes probably won't finish the season with the Blues. Dennis Wideman helped the Bruins get Horton, AND Campbell.

Now, those saying it's massive overpayment don't understand how things work, which isn't a surprise.

"Oh yeah, I'd trade Weber, Kostitsyn and Kristo for Neal." So much better deal.

Kostitsyn - Negative value
Kristo - A decent prospect, but just that, a prospect.
Weber - Progressing nicely, but not in the same realm as Goligoski.

And that, folks, is why your offer of crap for Neal is that, crap.

It's about needs. When a team notices your needs, they'll make you pay. Plus, they live in reality, not hfboards where you people assume our crap will land, good, young players on other teams.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote