HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#60: Coyotes @ Flyers - Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
smacklby

vCash: 500
horrible officiating: here's why:

1. - If Carcillo car bomb boards a Coyotes' defenseman, he gets a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. Upshall boards Bartulis, injuring him on the dumb play, and he only gets 2 minutes.

2. - Timonen is slew footed on the play leading to the Coyotes' game tieing first goal. the officials dont make the tripping call: they HAVE to make that call because it leads to a scoring chance, if they dont, and in this case it DID lead to not just a scoring chance but a game tieing and game changing goal.

3. - the officials realize they blew the call, by not calling it, so they keep looking to give the Flyers power plays, but NOT until after the Coyotes' take a 2 -1 lead.

4. - Where was the hook on Timonen in OT, and was it really that much of a hook that it prevented a scoring chance? Unlike the NON call that did lead to a scoring chance on the trip to Timonen!!!

The officiating was horrendous, and I just need to vent about it to get it out of my system..... I'm sure it wont be the last time.

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Mike2000z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
You (and a lot of others) confuse playing 60 minutes with carrying the pay for 60 minutes. The other team is comprised of professionals too. They're going to have their surges.
I understand the difference, but lets get real. The last complete game was the Chicago game on NBC where you walked away and said damn, that was a team effort. Sure we squeak some ugly wins out after playing with no urgency, floating around the ice and just looking like you can't wait till the game is over mentality, but thats not going to work against teams that are scrappers and in the Playoffs.

Giroux played great tonight, but our depth is looking like crap lately and we as a team aren't play good at all.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Not that we love him, but everyone that is replacing him isn't doing much and he still has 15 goals with not much game time. Right now we are turning it over 15 times with no result so ill take the one in 5 any day.

The bottom line is it can't get any worse is what most people are saying and the team seemed to play better when Zherdev was in, it was a smoother game it seemed.

Losing to the Canes and now Phoenix. The Presidents trophy is extremely important to this club and does anyone wanna know why?

Because the flyers have never won an away game in the SCF.
As far as I'm concerned, I would love to have Zherdev in the lineup. Now that that's out there, I don't think he's getting back into the lineup any time soon, and I don't think he'll really change anything. Sure he has some sick dangles and can make something out of nothing. But for every dangle that is successful, there's another that fails and leads to an odd-man rush. He can be a useful player and he can be a frustrating player. The rumor that he was nowhere to be found when Richards was ill probably doesn't help his cause.

And I'm not really sure that the Flyers suddenly get to the SCF and are unable to win away games. Would I love to get the Presidents Trophy? Of course, it gives us a huge advantage. But if they don't get it, they're not going to instantly fall over dead in the SCF. Besides, this year the Flyers have the best road record in the NHL. Doesn't that give us a smidge of hope?

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Scotty Upshall finished a hard check and caught Bartulis either off guard or off balance and tipped him over at the goal line. He slid with force into the boards and hit his head/shoulder. Looked pretty damn uncomfortable but not terrible.
He caught him with his head down, a few feet away from the boards and in a vulnerable position: he was given a 2 minute boarding call, when he probably should have been given a 5 minute major.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:16 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Michael Leighton says hello.

Oh, I'm not saying he was on waivers because he was bad, I just mean that it's crazy to think a good number of teams could've had him.
The one Bob let up was worse, especially because of timing.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Giroux played great tonight, but our depth is looking like crap lately and we as a team aren't play good at all.
True, they've played better. That's different than not playing 60 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
horrible officiating: here's why:

1. - If Carcillo car bomb boards a Coyotes' defenseman, he gets a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. Upshall boards Bartulis, injuring him on the dumb play, and he only gets 2 minutes.

2. - Timonen is slew footed on the play leading to the Coyotes' game tieing first goal. the officials dont make the tripping call: they HAVE to make that call because it leads to a scoring chance, if they dont, and in this case it DID lead to not just a scoring chance but a game tieing and game changing goal.

3. - the officials realize they blew the call, by not calling it, so they keep looking to give the Flyers power plays, but NOT until after the Coyotes' take a 2 -1 lead.

4. - Where was the hook on Timonen in OT, and was it really that much of a hook that it prevented a scoring chance? Unlike the NON call that did lead to a scoring chance on the trip to Timonen!!!
Upshall didn't board him. It was ugly, but it wasn't boarding. The holding on TImonen in overtime was bad though, I agree.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Yea, bob allowing that goal is what cost us the point... oh well, he is a rookie.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
He caught him with his head down, a few feet away from the boards and in a vulnerable position: he was given a 2 minute boarding call, when he probably should have been given a 5 minute major.
His feet were in front of the goal line, and he was facing Upshall standing straight up when he got checked. His feet weren't set and he wasn't ready to get checked. Upshall was guilty of finishing his check. That's about all there was too it.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:21 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
Post-game media session:

Homer upset about the hit by Upshall.

Laviolette said that it should have been major penalty.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Yea, bob allowing that goal is what cost us the point... oh well, he is a rookie.
Ever played goal? That was not an easy save.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
smacklby

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, I would love to have Zherdev in the lineup. Now that that's out there, I don't think he's getting back into the lineup any time soon, and I don't think he'll really change anything. Sure he has some sick dangles and can make something out of nothing. But for every dangle that is successful, there's another that fails and leads to an odd-man rush. He can be a useful player and he can be a frustrating player. The rumor that he was nowhere to be found when Richards was ill probably doesn't help his cause.
Really? He was not with the team? I find that difficult to believe.

Totally agree, Zherdev can create something out of nothing offensively, but he has a lot of other areas where he needs to improve his game: defensively, his forecheck game, and using his linemates more, making better decisions with the puck and his passing.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
The second goal was bad. But really? That's what cost us the point? Not going 0-5 on the Powerplay? Not playing with 5 defensemen (for the second straight game, no less!) for two periods and OT? Not Meszaros having an overall crappy game and losing his stick on the last powerplay making it essentially a 4 on 2?

The goal was bad, but come on, people! Bryzgalov stood on his head, we blew chances, the D had to be tired, and we got a few bad breaks in OT. Let's take the point and move on to the Islanders game.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
There's two teams out there. You can't dominate for 60 minutes. At the end of the game, if you had the better of the play more than half the time, especially against a playoff team that's been playing well lately, then you've done a nice job. Their goalie basically stole this one for them, and Bob let in a bad one. I agree that lately they haven't been as good as earlier, but it's not right to trash them after a good effort imo.
That's the problem, great teams - top to bottom find ways to put teams like the one the Flyers played tonight, away. They dominated that team for 40 minutes as a team. The other 20 minutes the Coyotes to their credit fought hard and earned some chances, but as a team that's only expectation this season is to win a Cup, needs to bury that team tonight. The difference is that their goalie found ways to keep his 20 other men within striking distance tonight, and it paid the **** off. It's about ****ing time this team collectively rallies behind someone offensively or in net. I'm tired of this "well I can have a night off b.c so and so on line X can pick up my slack" (otherwise known as depth) mentality, its setting this team up for a letdown come playoff time.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:28 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
You're kidding me, right?

Old
02-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Orange Crush 89

People put WAAAAY too much into shutouts and obviously suck at basic math if they don't realize it's better to have a good GAA without shutouts than to have the same GAA with shutouts.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Really? He was not with the team? I find that difficult to believe.

Totally agree, Zherdev can create something out of nothing offensively, but he has a lot of other areas where he needs to improve his game: defensively, his forecheck game, and using his linemates more, making better decisions with the puck and his passing.
So do I, honestly, it's a weird situation, but here's the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Holmgren
“I’m not sure what happened in Carolina, ’cause I wasn’t there,” Holmgren said. “But we were scrambling around eight minutes before the game and the only guy they could find was Jody, I think. Jody had to quick get dressed and get in the lineup.”
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...kolay-zherdev/

Old
02-22-2011, 09:29 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
smacklby

Quote:
True, they've played better. That's different than not playing 60 minutes.

Upshall didn't board him. It was ugly, but it wasn't boarding. The holding on TImonen in overtime was bad though, I agree.

Nope, I can't agree on the Upshall didnt board him. I understand he was a favorite when he played here; but he has always played aggressively and sometimes too aggressively; that's just the way he plays; but to say he didn't board him, I cannot agree at all. Bartulis had his head down, a few feet away from the boards, and was in a vulnerable position at the time Upshall hit him hard and high, causing Bartulis to fly dangerously into the boards: that is boarding: hitting a player a few feet away from the boards in a manner that causes the player to go into the boards dangerously.....

Old
02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
phillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
****ing soft ass goals..no idea what Bob was doing on that second one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
Their Russian Goalie (waiver wire acquisition) > Our Russian Goalie 8(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Bob has all the ability in the world but the softies have got to stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Or if Bob didn't let up the softest goal of the season.
Quote:
The one Bob let up was worse, especially because of timing.
Quote:

Typical, philly fans on goaltending.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:35 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Actually, that was my position... although it was street hockey.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflu View Post

Typical, philly fans on goaltending.
What do you mean by that? The goal Bob let up was awful.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
You're kidding me, right?
No. The puck is probably going 70 miles an hour. It is going along the ice. If the puck hits something on the ice and heads for a spot an inch above the top edge of your pad, it is going to go in. Human reflexes are not reacting to that, particularly when the e goalie is already executing a save for a puck shot along the ice. It was a bad break.

Some people might be of the opinion that you should have your blocker there to "back your pad up", but its tough to do that and keep your blade in front of the five hole, which is more important IMO, since the puck was shot along the ice.

It was an unfortunate bounce. That's about all there was to it.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
That's the problem, great teams - top to bottom find ways to put teams like the one the Flyers played tonight, away. They dominated that team for 40 minutes as a team. The other 20 minutes the Coyotes to their credit fought hard and earned some chances, but as a team that's only expectation this season is to win a Cup, needs to bury that team tonight. The difference is that their goalie found ways to keep his 20 other men within striking distance tonight, and it paid the **** off. It's about ****ing time this team collectively rallies behind someone offensively or in net. I'm tired of this "well I can have a night off b.c so and so on line X can pick up my slack" (otherwise known as depth) mentality, its setting this team up for a letdown come playoff time.
But on the other hand, great goalies find ways to steal some games for their team, and Bryz is one of the best in the league. I agree that having depth is no reason to not try and bring it every game, but I didn't see a poor team effort tonight. A couple players may have had bad individual games, but overall the team did what they had to to win, most nights.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
What do you mean by that? The goal Bob let up was awful.
its ok, give him props for figuring out the Multi-quote feature so early in his posting history. But you can minus a few points for drinking the cool-aid that philly fans in general have been drinking for the past 30 years in thinking that your best player might not have to be your goalie (like QB in football surprise, surprise eagles fans) to win the championship... it gets stale after so many years and you look for other less obvious scape goats.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:40 PM
smacklby

Quote:
So do I, honestly, it's a weird situation, but here's the quote.

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...kolay-zherdev/
Wow. That is strange. You'd think he would have been around with the team, in the press box, or at least within a phone call..... but, I can't say I'm the best when answering my phone -- nor am I good at checking messages; not unless I'm expecting a call, then its different.