HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#60: Coyotes @ Flyers - Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
02-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 500
http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.co...eys-heros.html

You guys here anything about that? True or not? If it's true, I can't believe he kept on fighting, guys an animal.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I don't disagree. It was one of those tough bounces that get by every once in awhile. However, I stand firm on my position that it was a shot that Bob should have saved.
most definately should have saved it, but we also should have had 4 goals on all of our chances as well, that goal was just a product of the build up of all the bad breaks we had in that game

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
So you're saying your goalie has to be your best player?

2006: Cam Ward. Better than Eric Staal?
2007: JS Giguere. Amazing run, but more pivotal than Pronger and Neidermayer?
2008: Chris Osgood. Better than Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom?
2009: Marc-Andre Fleury. Better than Crosby and Malkin?
2010: Antti Niemi. Better than Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Seabrook, Sharp, Byfuglien?
2006 Cam Ward con the ****ing Conn Smythe....
2007 Another prior Conn Smythe winner, (in a losing effort if i remember) played pivotal games.
2008 He's won how many cups and they keep coming back to him no matter how "over rated" he is?
2009 MAF is the reason if not for Malkin (crosby was almost a non factor in the cup finals - how nice) Pitt has a Cup and not back to back for Detroit
2010 ..... He was better than our goalie.

Doesn't need to be your best player, but he damn well be one of your best

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I don't want this to get off topic. A 100 mph slapshot from between the dots is a lot different than a weak wrister with an odd bounce from the top far corner of the circle.
We are on topic, goalie's reaction times. Bobrovsky had the original shot all but saved before it deflected off the ice. You conveniently keep neglecting to acknowledge that aspect of the goal when you talk about it.

Anyway, Weber's snap shot that he would take in a game is probably in the nineties.

And a second ago you said this:
Quote:
Are human relexes supposed to stop a 100 mph shot from the point? I know the goaltender's reflexes better be able to do that.
So which is it?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:17 AM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
We are on topic, goalie's reaction times. Bobrovsky had the original shot all but saved before it deflected off the ice. You conveniently keep neglecting to acknowledge that aspect of the goal when you talk about it.

Anyway, Weber's snap shot that he would take in a game is probably in the nineties.

And a second ago you said this:

So which is it?
I'm sorry for leading this discussion away from what it's really about, in my opinion: whether or not Bob should have made the save. I've made a poll if you'd like to vote.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:19 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I really believe Nodl should be on the 4th line and Carcillo should be moved up with Richards/Versteeg. At least Carcillo mixes things up a bit and gets the other team to make mistakes. Jvr with Giroux and the Briere line back together where they should be.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Snipsnap12

To sort of point this goalie talk into a direction I really hope laviolette starts bob against the islanders to shake that goal off, and maybe start to get someone into a rythm, really start to get an idea who you wanna ride into the playoffs

Old
02-23-2011, 12:25 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
The hate on Bob for the second goal is silly. Bouncers right before they get to you are the knuckle ball of hockey -- you know it came from the guy who shot it, but you've got no idea where it went or where it's about to end up.

If anyone wants to be angry at a goalie tonight, shoot the hate at Bryzgalov. The guy's been a madman for weeks now, we were simply another victim tonight.
Hate is a strong word... we know bob is a good goalie, but needs improvement, I would say.. disappointment on the second goal.

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I'm sorry for leading this discussion away from what it's really about, in my opinion: whether or not Bob should have made the save. I've made a poll if you'd like to vote.
You're contradicting yourself and getting lawyered.

So now you want to claim that talking about goaltenders' abilities is getting off the topic of whether or not Bob should be expected to make a save? This is pretty transparent deflection by you.

I don't think you know what you're talking about, and making a poll to solicit the opinions of others doesn't really prove anything. I could get a lot of people to agree with incorrect things that I say, doesn't make them right.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis19 View Post
http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.co...eys-heros.html

You guys here anything about that? True or not? If it's true, I can't believe he kept on fighting, guys an animal.
Yeah he got shmangled with that one punch but I commend him for battling and giving it back more to that big goon. Shelley is already photogenically challenged....it's going to be frightening to see his Rocky Dennis face now....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:04 AM
mm6492

Girouxs goal was #8 on the ESPN top-10 plays.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:20 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
True, they've played better. That's different than not playing 60 minutes.

Upshall didn't board him. It was ugly, but it wasn't boarding. The holding on TImonen in overtime was bad though, I agree.
The only thing wrong with the hit was that it was a touch late. I wouldn't have given a penalty. Bart was standing still and Upshall hit him much closer to the goal line than the boards.

Someone above said Richards was floatinG but he's still getting over the flu and said after the game that he still needs to gain a bit of weight.

The President's trophy means nothing. The main reason the Hawks beat us last year was due to Michael "the sieve" Leighton being in net. All of his weaknesses were exposed in that series. Thankfully we'll never have to see his face again.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
2006 Cam Ward con the ****ing Conn Smythe....
2007 Another prior Conn Smythe winner, (in a losing effort if i remember) played pivotal games.
2008 He's won how many cups and they keep coming back to him no matter how "over rated" he is?
2009 MAF is the reason if not for Malkin (crosby was almost a non factor in the cup finals - how nice) Pitt has a Cup and not back to back for Detroit
2010 ..... He was better than our goalie.

Doesn't need to be your best player, but he damn well be one of your best
I had to laugh at this.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:15 AM
mirimon

I fell asleep 5 minutes into the game... but I've watched it by now, Bryzgalov was really the reason for our loss in that game. It sucks, but let's move on unto the next one. We need to get our offense clicking soon though.

Sucks for Bartulis, he played decently until the injury considering the time he'd been out. Don't think it merited a major for Upshall though.

Some of you guys have some ridiculous expectation that this team should dominate the entire game, every game for 98 games. That's just not the way things go. There will be times in a game when the other team has the upper hand for some time, almost regardless of the difference in skill. And in the NHL it's definitely regardless. Add into that the long season and teams will have some down times. We're in one now I think, but at least we're taking some wins (or consolation points) away from it.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:51 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
I missed the beginning of the game, how did Bart get hurt? Did it look bad?

Can't believe we blew this one in OT. While I can't be mad at a PP goal being scored 4 on 3, we were the better team.
We didn't blow this game. It was a 4 on 3 goal and Mez was playing without a stick so it was more like a 4 on 2 and the goal was scored from his side of the ice.

We also hit 2 posts to their 1 if I remember correctly but managed to scratch back with a beauty of a goal by Roo to tie it that almost everyone on the ice contributed on.

No word on Bart yet.

Old
02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
kinda glad we lost..

hopefully this forces Lavi's hand to make some kind change.

wether its to give Bob/Bouch a starting role for a stretch or to put Z. back in and use him as the unknown style that works so well for putting up points..

but something has to give, cuz what were putting on teh ice as the playoffs loom is NOt gunna cut teh mustard..

the fact we have no SHUTOUT, is a tell-tale sign..even teh worst teams in the league have them at least once..
Jesus, what kind of fan are you when you're glad the team you cheer for lost? As for shutouts, this team is in first by a good margin without one but Kiprusoff in Calgary has 4 on his own yet they're fighting to get into the playoffs. Where do you think the Flyers would rather be?

Old
02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
We didn't blow this game. It was a 4 on 3 goal and Mez was playing without a stick so it was more like a 4 on 2 and the goal was scored from his side of the ice.

We also hit 2 posts to their 1 if I remember correctly but managed to scratch back with a beauty of a goal by Roo to tie it that almost everyone on the ice contributed on.

No word on Bart yet.
3, actually.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

nodl flubbed two 2-on-1's. the kid's got drive and effort but the hands are still missing. put him on the fourth line with powe and betts. he'll do great.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:09 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I fell asleep 5 minutes into the game... but I've watched it by now, Bryzgalov was really the reason for our loss in that game. It sucks, but let's move on unto the next one. We need to get our offense clicking soon though.

Sucks for Bartulis, he played decently until the injury considering the time he'd been out. Don't think it merited a major for Upshall though.

Some of you guys have some ridiculous expectation that this team should dominate the entire game, every game for 98 games. That's just not the way things go. There will be times in a game when the other team has the upper hand for some time, almost regardless of the difference in skill. And in the NHL it's definitely regardless. Add into that the long season and teams will have some down times. We're in one now I think, but at least we're taking some wins (or consolation points) away from it.
I'm not expecting this, but it would be nice to see a game lately where they play a full 60 minutes, and don't invite dangerous chances for the opposition by playing fast and loose with the puck in their own zone. Losing the occasional puck to a hard forecheck is one thing, but giving it up consistently after having uncontested possession behind your own net is inexplicable for a team that's a sniff away from first place overall.

And the full-bore team letdown in the third is becoming as regular as the sunrise. Last night's game was the blueprint for the last 10-15, it seems, with the exception that they didn't put in the regular 2-3 in periods 1 and 2. It was a mix of an on-his-game Bryzgalov, the posts being an inch too thick, and some poor shooting by others; I remember Richards Cartering a one-timer from inside the faceoff dot in the second, and Carle hitting a standing-still Bryzgalov in OT.

On the bright side, the PP looked a lot more lively even with Nödl (!) on it, and the Flyers were head and shoulders the better team through 2.

I'll easily forget this game if the following sentence – We lost this game because _________ stood on his head – can be completed with "Bryzgalov" and not "Montoya" or "Anderson".

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:36 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

**** happens. you play a tough game, lose a defenseman early, have a few bounces go your way and a few go theirs, that's what playoff hockey is all about. if this were a SCF i'd be confident in our ability to come back in game 2 and right the wrongs. this loss is really nothing to be that upset about. we can take out our frustration on the east's basement on thursday and saturday.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
nodl flubbed two 2-on-1's. the kid's got drive and effort but the hands are still missing. put him on the fourth line with powe and betts. he'll do great.
I agree with that, he was flying, forecheking hard but man o man no execution at all, he has hands of steel(and not in a good way) and the puck just bounces of his stick everytime and that 2 on 1 pass was fugly! Hartnell slap passes look better!

He needs to be on the fourth line ASAP, where he will no be there for his execution and scoring ability but his ability to create energy with his hard forecheck.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils98 View Post
I agree with that, he was flying, forecheking hard but man o man no execution at all, he has hands of steel(and not in a good way) and the puck just bounces of his stick everytime and that 2 on 1 pass was fugly! Hartnell slap passes look better!

He needs to be on the fourth line ASAP, where he will no be there for his execution and scoring ability but his ability to create energy with his hard forecheck.
most of this does make sense.... although he did ring a shot of the post

Old
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
most of this does make sense.... although he did ring a shot of the post
ok, i dont remember, but yesterday I was frustrated by his lack of execution and it was noticeable.

Im far from a Nodl hater, but I think he is in a funk right now and he should be put back on a defensive role until his scoring instinct comes back like at the beginning of the season.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils98 View Post
ok, i dont remember, but yesterday I was frustrated by his lack of execution and it was noticeable.

Im far from a Nodl hater, but I think he is in a funk right now and he should be put back on a defensive role until his scoring instinct comes back like at the beginning of the season.
I agree, if someone like briere had the oppurtunities nodl did yesterday he probably would have had a pair of goals/assists.

Nodl finishing ability is rather terrbile for the amount of chances he gets, but the rest of his game(skating, tenacity, forecheck, cycle game) are actually really good.

If he spends this offseason working on a shot he could be a 20 goal scorer

Old
02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm not expecting this, but it would be nice to see a game lately where they play a full 60 minutes, and don't invite dangerous chances for the opposition by playing fast and loose with the puck in their own zone. Losing the occasional puck to a hard forecheck is one thing, but giving it up consistently after having uncontested possession behind your own net is inexplicable for a team that's a sniff away from first place overall.

And the full-bore team letdown in the third is becoming as regular as the sunrise. Last night's game was the blueprint for the last 10-15, it seems, with the exception that they didn't put in the regular 2-3 in periods 1 and 2. It was a mix of an on-his-game Bryzgalov, the posts being an inch too thick, and some poor shooting by others; I remember Richards Cartering a one-timer from inside the faceoff dot in the second, and Carle hitting a standing-still Bryzgalov in OT.

On the bright side, the PP looked a lot more lively even with Nödl (!) on it, and the Flyers were head and shoulders the better team through 2.

I'll easily forget this game if the following sentence – We lost this game because _________ stood on his head – can be completed with "Bryzgalov" and not "Montoya" or "Anderson".

While I certainly don't agree with some of the points you're making, I can agree with one: the Flyers need to take better care of the puck.

Leino has been turning the puck over in the neutral zone a lot lately. Meszaros has been a giveaway machine in the last little while (it started getting real bad back around the Tampa game). Carter and his attempts to stickhandle through 3+ defenders is killing rushes unnecessarily, when curling back and getting setup would be a better play.

It's nothing to panic over, but it's puck control and responsibility that got us far in the playoffs last year, and they're letting that end of their game drag right now...and that's not what gets you anywhere in the postseason. Just be a little harder on the puck, a little more responsible, and cut out the bad unforced turnovers in the defensive and neutral zone and be a little more patient on the rush. If they just do that I'll be happy, 'cause you know the offense will bear down when they have to.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote