HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs vs. Blues | Feb. 22: Blues got EJ'd! and Stastny raised his trade value!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2011, 05:43 PM
  #126
Freudian
Slightly overpaid
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34,235
vCash: 50
I love the comments from Johnson about how he aims to be a dominant player in this league and how he wants to make Armstrong regret trading him. Especially when he does it not with arrogance but with confidence.

"I definitely want him to say, at the end of the day, 'Wow, why did I trade Erik Johnson? Don't get me wrong, they got two great players over there. Shattenkirk and Stewart are both great players. But at the end of the day, I want to make Doug Armstrong regret trading me."

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:44 PM
  #127
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrlinx View Post
Yep, it's Stastny's fault our defense and goaltending are absolutely horrible...
Who said that? What about the offense being terrible? What about the powerplay being terrible? What about the accountability they're always talking about. Why is Staz immune from criticizing around here? Does he crap gold and I just don't know about it?

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
  #128
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel
 
The Angry Teatowel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 837
vCash: 500
Feed for tonight's game available here:
http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/526...uary-22nd-2011

Woot!

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:48 PM
  #129
iAvs
JUST WIN
 
iAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyVee View Post
This is a big game for both teams.
Stewart is good in big games, otherwise he can be only semi-effective.
Fortunately , Johnson is also good for big games, but isn't a big a game-changer as Stewart CAN be.

And Shattenkirk is consistently good so...
Couple that with all their all-around better defensemen, and it doesn't look good.
Not so fast... let's not call him Mr. Consistent just yet. he shows signs of being a good Dman, but he will blunder just like anyone else.

BTW, did you see the Blues implode versus Chicago?

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:48 PM
  #130
Starrlinx
Registered User
 
Starrlinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,189
vCash: 500
I never said he was immune. Sure he can play better but when I look at this team and look at the problems #26 is not one of them. People saying he can't be a leader is just silly to me but to each their own...

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:49 PM
  #131
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Who said that? What about the offense being terrible? What about the powerplay being terrible? What about accountability they're always talking about. Why is Staz immune from criticizing around here? Does he crap gold and I just don't know about it?
Who here hasn't criticized Stastny before? It's only the constant he's over paid, not a first line center, can't carry team, bad leader that I and some people get annoyed.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:50 PM
  #132
iAvs
JUST WIN
 
iAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrlinx View Post
I never said he was immune. Sure he can play better but when I look at this team and look at the problems #26 is not one of them. People saying he can't be a leader is just silly to me but to each their own...
Out of all of the problems this team has, why people are focusing on Staz is beyond me. He's very low on our list of problems.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:52 PM
  #133
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrlinx View Post
I never said he was immune. Sure he can play better but when I look at this team and look at the problems #26 is not one of them. People saying he can't be a leader is just silly to me but to each their own...
Is this not a good time to be a leader though? Would coming out and just going crazy, like a 5 point game or something, not put some life back into the team? He's paid to be the best player and do stuff like that! He's paid like a star for that! However, he's just sinking with the rest of them. Rise the hell up and do something!

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:56 PM
  #134
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Who here hasn't criticized Stastny before? It's only the constant he's over paid, not a first line center, can't carry team, bad leader that I and some people get annoyed.
Because the criticizing is never considered by anyone really. They will switch the conversation to a different topic and deflect. Tell you that you're crazy without giving any evidence.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
  #135
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 26,150
vCash: 50
Stewart with a 4 point effort, Shatty with a few helpers, Johnson injured. One or all of these things will happen tonight oh and an Avs lose but we all knew that.

The Colorado Avalanche are proud to select from the kitchener Rangers of the OHL Gabriel landeskog.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
  #136
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Stewart with a 4 point effort, Shatty with a few helpers, Johnson injured. One or all of these things will happen tonight oh and an Avs lose but we all knew that.

The Colorado Avalanche are proud to select from the kitchener Rangers of the OHL Gabriel landeskog.
More like Liles will get injured so we can't trade him. That would be icing on the crap cake that is this season.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
  #137
Drury_Sakic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Because the criticizing is never considered by anyone really. They will switch the conversation to a different topic and deflect. Tell you that you're crazy without giving any evidence.
I think the general reason people are riding him right now is that he has not stepped up his game when the team needed him to the most.

Outside of Hejduk, Paul is the vet offensive forward. He is the guy that needed to step up at some point after the first 2-3-4 losses and dominate a game. That is what top end players do.

I would never expect Stastny to dominate night in and night out like Crosby. Hell, even Sakic was not a guy that you noticed burning up the ice every night.... but you could count on Sakic to have one of those nights when the team needed him the most.


Now, that all said, Stastny is still only 25, and he could make that turn still that makes him one of those "guys".... but he wilted big time during the losing streak.

Some of that can be defended by the injuries around him. He has not had regular linemates for a few months now. Stewart looked disinterested and Jones, Porter, Yip, and company just were not cutting it. That said, you look to Paul to make those guys better.

Unless the deal was a major sweatheart, such as

Avs
Johnson
Bernier
Schenn

Kings
Stastny
Stoa
Hunwick

(which will NEVER happen)

I would not consider moving him... but I think he deserves a good amount of the blame for the collapse of the offense.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
  #138
AvsWraith
Registered User
 
AvsWraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
I think the general reason people are riding him right now is that he has not stepped up his game when the team needed him to the most.

Outside of Hejduk, Paul is the vet offensive forward. He is the guy that needed to step up at some point after the first 2-3-4 losses and dominate a game. That is what top end players do.

I would never expect Stastny to dominate night in and night out like Crosby. Hell, even Sakic was not a guy that you noticed burning up the ice every night.... but you could count on Sakic to have one of those nights when the team needed him the most.


Now, that all said, Stastny is still only 25, and he could make that turn still that makes him one of those "guys".... but he wilted big time during the losing streak.

Some of that can be defended by the injuries around him. He has not had regular linemates for a few months now. Stewart looked disinterested and Jones, Porter, Yip, and company just were not cutting it. That said, you look to Paul to make those guys better.

Unless the deal was a major sweatheart, such as

Avs
Johnson
Bernier
Schenn

Kings
Stastny
Stoa
Hunwick

(which will NEVER happen)

I would not consider moving him... but I think he deserves a good amount of the blame for the collapse of the offense.
That's mostly what I'm talking about. I would not move Staz unless it was like the Kings offer as well. This is the worst time the Avalanche have ever had. Your best players have to be the ones to step up. No one did.

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
  #139
NWAvs
Registered User
 
NWAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Can someone link me to the comments shatty said about finally playing with good players?

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
  #140
Freudian
Slightly overpaid
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34,235
vCash: 50
I find it funny that one of our most consistent and effective players should be the most polarizing.

Hejduk and Stastny are the players I never worry about, regarding anything. I guess I don't have unrealistic expectations of what they should be. As long as you don't expect him to be a 85-90 point guy that takes the team on his back, I don't see how you can disappointed in him.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:23 PM
  #141
volaju
Registered User
 
volaju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Can someone link me to the comments shatty said about finally playing with good players?
Meh. No link, but I read the comments in question, and I don't think they're a big deal. Nor were Stewart's. Only when you consider them in the most paranoid, introspectively-insecure way imaginable do they become offensive.

People are quick to overreact. It makes dealing with loss easier. Hell, just look at the two teams' respective forums here on HFBoards. Both fanbases react to the trade with an initial sense of "OMFG, we got ripped off!" Yet by the end of the thread, we're talking smack about the departed and gushing with pride for the newly-acquired.

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:26 PM
  #142
RockLobster
Moderator
Jon Snow, Uneducated
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 16,186
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Can someone link me to the comments shatty said about finally playing with good players?
Ask and you shall receive!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011...nd-stewy/6567/

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
  #143
Freudian
Slightly overpaid
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 34,235
vCash: 50
In all communication you have to think about the sender and receiver. What Stewart and Shattenkirk says via St Louis media to St Louis fans is nothing to get worked up about.

It's possible they used some word that was poorly chosen (Shatty saying it was "refreshing" to play with the Blues) but I don't think any of the comments were meant as jabs towards Avs. I bet even very smart and well spoken people might not say the perfect thing if traded and exposed to the media in the same day.

The only fuel Avs should need for todays game is that they lost ten in a row (or is it eleven now?).

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
  #144
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
Meh. No link, but I read the comments in question, and I don't think they're a big deal. Nor were Stewart's. Only when you consider them in the most paranoid, introspectively-insecure way imaginable do they become offensive.

People are quick to overreact. It makes dealing with loss easier. Hell, just look at the two teams' respective forums here on HFBoards. Both fanbases react to the trade with an initial sense of "OMFG, we got ripped off!". Yet by the end of the thread, we're talking smack about the departed and gushing with pride for the newly-acquired.
The comments about the crowd in Denver were true so I have no problem with that.

But Shattenkirk's comment about how it's refreshing to play with great talented players was a dick move. It might not be much but he still took a shot and his former teammates.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
  #145
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,815
vCash: 50
Going for another loss tonight. Come on boys, let's get it done.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:34 PM
  #146
Drury_Sakic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,603
vCash: 500
I don't blame Shattenkirk, he has not exactly been playing with all-star D men in Denver.

The kid broke into the NHL and exploded, only to see his former college D partner traded for a sack of potatos, Cohen was the guy many people though he would play for years with at the NHL level.... then his NHL partner was traded, and he slowed from his explosive start....then he was traded.

I think the move may ultimately work in the Avs favor, but Shattenkirk's life changed quick.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
  #147
Mant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9 View Post
Out of all of the problems this team has, why people are focusing on Staz is beyond me. He's very low on our list of problems.
Well, out of all the players on the team... people expect him to be the guy that steps up and leads by example. So many people think he's going to be the next captain (which I really don't see it). During this slump, he's been just as bad as anyone else, and hasn't stepped up his game at all... he deserves some negative attention, but so do the rest of them.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
  #148
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Who said that? What about the offense being terrible? What about the powerplay being terrible? What about the accountability they're always talking about. Why is Staz immune from criticizing around here? Does he crap gold and I just don't know about it?
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Stastny, but yes, it is time to start focusing on our highest paid player, and the fact that right now he is twelve points under ppg. Pretty atrocious at this point. It is unacceptable that it has come to the point where I just don't even expect him (or, any of our "big guns", for that matter) to do anything offensively in a game.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:37 PM
  #149
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9 View Post
Out of all of the problems this team has, why people are focusing on Staz is beyond me. He's very low on our list of problems.
Definitely low on the list of problems, but still a problem. There are about five things I would point out before him, but just because there are a lot of things that are more worrisome than him, doesn't mean he isn't worrisome...does it?

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
  #150
Mant*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Gotta admire what Duchene said about how his hand still hurts but he can't help the team without playing, so he's going to play anyway. Now that's a captain in the making.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.