HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brewer was a definite option for Habs

Old
02-21-2011, 08:47 PM
yathehabsrule

vCash: 500
Brewer was a definite option for Habs

Based on conversation over the weekend in Calgary, Eric Brewer was a definite target of the Canadiens right up to the Tampa deal Friday.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...habs-gunsights

yathehabsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:49 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

So we were in on Brewer and Stewart... I don't know whether to smile or cry.

But honestly, we couldn't have put together anything better than 3rd and Beukeboom? 3rd and Bennett?

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:52 PM
LeMAD

I don't see why we should have traded for a rental dman. There is no way we get past the first round this year. Time to think about next season.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:53 PM
pine*

exactly. One rental player isn't going to push us over the top. We'd need quite a few more.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
habspinner

Yes, this was discussed the day Brewer was traded. It was the asking price that was too high. We already don't have a 2nd this year, and then trading our 3rd....makes us thin at the draft.

Also they are asking for an unsigned risky prospect with BIG upside, that would sound like maybe Emelin or maybe Kristo.

I'm fine with not picking up Brewer because I don't think we can make a cup run as we don't have Gorges or Markov. It's for that same reason that I hope that we don't get Philips. These guys are both UFA's, and there is nothing to say they would sign with us in the offseason

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yathehabsrule View Post
Based on conversation over the weekend in Calgary, Eric Brewer was a definite target of the Canadiens right up to the Tampa deal Friday.

Same old crap.....

Brewer - lost out
Stewart - lost out
Penner - going to lose out
Phillips going to lose out

Same stuff every year, Kovalchuk last year, Hossa when he left Atlanta. At the end of the day its the same thing, too much for us to offer up according to the GM.

Is it just our young pieces or assets are not as valuable compared to other teams? I don't know.

Just we lose out on big names every year, we end up with picks, Moore, Kovalev. Nothing more than that. We will have lots of cap space if Spacek is goes on LTIR.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:55 PM
RE-HABS

So a third rounder and third round pick in Beukeboom is fine for Brewer, but the writer say was Subban or Weber and a pick a possibility for Brewer?

Give your head a shake if two NHL players in Subban or Weber and a pick for a rental like Brewer was an option for the Habs. The price wasn't that high, as the package going to the Blues was no where near the value of that of Subban or Weber.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:55 PM
JayBee*

Isn't this the likely story for the Habs? Always in the "hunt" but not enough to get the deal done. Of course there are many other variables that go into it, but a guy like Brewer, I would have liked...especially when you see what the asking price was.

Anyways, I think the Habs beat out a few teams for Wiz.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Chomsky

You don't NEED to trade just to trade, goddamnit. You trade only if it can be profitable and fairly safe.

Trading isn't like NHL2011, you can't reset the game, if you **** up, you pay for it for a long time.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Same old crap.....

Brewer - lost out
Stewart - lost out

Same stuff every year, Kovalchuk last year, Hossa when he left Atlanta. At the end of the day its the same thing, too much for us to offer up according to the GM.

Is it just our young pieces or assets are not as valuable compared to other teams? I don't know.

Just we lose out on big names every year, we end up with picks, Moore, Kovalev. Nothing more than that. We will have lots of cap space if Spacek is goes on LTIR.
Kovalchuk? Really? I think I'm happy they lost out.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Papa Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yathehabsrule View Post

I don't want to sound like an a-hole or anything, but the author of the article offers up Subban or Weber as possible price tags for the Habs. How does that make any sense? Brock Beukaboom is a nice player, but he's eons away from potentially being an NHL player, much less an impact one. No way the Blues would have asked for that with a straight face.

Papa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Isn't this the likely story for the Habs? Always in the "hunt" but not enough to get the deal done. Of course there are many other variables that go into it, but a guy like Brewer, I would have liked...especially when you see what the asking price was.

Anyways, I think the Habs beat out a few teams for Wiz.
Wow jaybee, I'm impressed, this is one of the most positive posts I've seen from you.

I agree though. It sucks, but we did make our move for D man much earlier and paid a much cheaper price than what people have been sending lately for players.

We lost a 2nd for Wiz, but we didn't lose any current prospects which is a positive.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Your telling Kovalchuk wouldn't of been help to our squad during the us we made?

We weren't re-signing him, I meant just trading for him.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
gusfring

We're in on everyone after the fact. PG's planting these stories I'm sure.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habspinner

Quote:
Your telling Kovalchuk wouldn't of been help to our squad during the us we made?

We weren't re-signing him, I meant just trading for him.
We would have given up Subban to get him, so no, I don't think he would have helped us in the long run.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleu Blanc Rouge

Quote:
Same old crap.....

Brewer - lost out
Stewart - lost out

Are you sure ? because that was a pretty smart move in my opinion. When was the last time we had a player who scored 84 points in a season ?

Bleu Blanc Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bjac

Quote:
Same old crap.....

Brewer - lost out
Stewart - lost out

I would think its more that our young pieces or assets are TOO valuable to us to let go for these risky rentals. We have some good propects and younger players, but not enough to start letting them go. Kovalchuk is good, but the amount of picks/players/money that the Devils lost (not to mention the cap problems) was NOT worth it. Hossa is no longer with the team that originally traded for him at the deadline, and they did not win the cup that year... So that clearly didn't work out over the longterm... Both these examples are bad ones to use if you want to make an arguement that the Habs management should offer more for top end players like them.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the habs were in on Kovalchuk before he was even drafted. Theodore + 1st for the first that got Kovalchuk, no ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
ThaDevilGirl

I think the Habs lost out on all players in the league.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Crystal Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan0791 View Post
Are you sure ? because that was a pretty smart move in my opinion. When was the last time we had a player who scored 84 points in a season ?
He's probably talking abouting trading for kovalev this year

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Steveshutt

Brewer had a no-trade clause which he waived to go to Tampa Bay. Much as it pains me to admit it, Tampa's a far more attractive destination for players than Montreal. Maybe he refused to waive it?

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Doesn't Brewer have an NTC as in maybe he had no desire to be in Montreal?

But whatever the case I'm glad we didn't give up Weber who I think is progressing nicely. Besides we got Mara instead. LOL

Edited to add in regards to the post above: (Bah......day late and a dollar short)

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:34 PM
S1C1L1AN78

I don't remember the last time we made a trade for a bonafide super star !! Every trade deadline for some years now i watch it on tv and check rumours on here and other sites . Always to be disapointed with the lack of activity of the habs .

S1C1L1AN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I think the Habs lost out on all players in the league.
It's the same old story every year, we were second every single time

It is the case for the good players only though...

But for deadwoods like Gomez, Spacek, etc., we won the lottery...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
So a third rounder and third round pick in Beukeboom is fine for Brewer, but the writer say was Subban or Weber and a pick a possibility for Brewer?

Give your head a shake if two NHL players in Subban or Weber and a pick for a rental like Brewer was an option for the Habs. The price wasn't that high, as the package going to the Blues was no where near the value of that of Subban or Weber.
But fair value isn't how trading works in real life.

Blues come back and say "Listen, you want Brewer, you're going to have to give us that Subban or that Weber kid. That's who we want".

PG says "Yeah well we aren't willing to give up those guys. How about...Mathieu Carle or some ****".

Blues say "Sorry, but we really are only interested in Subban or Weber. Listen, if you aren't willing to offer those guys up, we have other offers that we're interested in".

And that's how it works. Teams don't go based on "fair value". They go based on specific players they are interested in. That's it.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote