HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Lineup Advice Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2011, 11:48 PM
  #76
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
This one, not a huge fan of Bowie and Makarov together.

EDIT: even at 28 teams this is an above average top-6, wow!
6 of your 1st 9 picks being top 6'ers will do that for ya.

monster_bertuzzi is online now  
Old
02-23-2011, 11:53 PM
  #77
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
So...

Roberts-Stastny-Makarov
Moore- Bowie-Cournoyer

Or

Moore-Stastny-Makarov
Roberts-Bowie-Cournoyer
?
A Roberts -Bowie - Cournoyer line is too soft for my liking and suffers from a serious lack of playmaking. I love the Moore-Stastny-Makarov line, but Bowie and Cournoyer really needs Moore to function.

Edit: HHH's idea might have merit too. Just don't put Roberts, Bowie, and Cournoyer together - it won't work.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 11:56 PM
  #78
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
So...

Roberts-Stastny-Makarov
Moore- Bowie-Cournoyer

Or

Moore-Stastny-Makarov
Roberts-Bowie-Cournoyer
?
I think you pretty much have to put Moore on the line with Stastny to take some of physical pressure off. Stastny was no Wayne Cashman, himself, but he was big and strong, he had jam and was a team player. It might hurt Peter's offense a bit, but I think he could pick up some of the puckwinning responsibilities if he needed to.

It's not ideal. What you've got there reminds me a lot of our ATD#8 team, which had an assload of talent at forward, but was extremely non-physical. Of course we made it to the conference finals with that team, so the comparison is hardly an insult. Although I have learned a new respect for Bowie, I think you sort of checkmated yourself when you drafted him because you locked yourself out of any possibility of getting a true physical presence to play alongside Digging Dickie.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
  #79
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
A Roberts -Bowie - Cournoyer line is too soft for my liking and suffers from a serious lack of playmaking. I love the Moore-Stastny-Makarov line, but Bowie and Cournoyer really needs Moore to function.
Yeah...hadn't thought of that, but Moore and Stastny are the only really good playmakers in that top-6. I guess he could go with:

Moore - Stastny - Cournoyer

Roberts - Bowie - Makarov

...and use Makarov as the primary playmaker on the second line. Ehhhh...it's not ideal. Nalyd's team this time around reminds me a lot of the ATD#8 team we built together - overflowing with offensive talent, but not really a cohesive machine. Of course, we made the conference finals with that team, so the comparison here is hardly insulting.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:09 AM
  #80
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Yeah...hadn't thought of that, but Moore and Stastny are the only really good playmakers in that top-6. I guess he could go with:

Moore - Stastny - Cournoyer

Roberts - Bowie - Makarov

...and use Makarov as the primary playmaker on the second line. Ehhhh...it's not ideal. Nalyd's team this time around reminds me a lot of the ATD#8 team we built together - overflowing with offensive talent, but not really a cohesive machine. Of course, we made the conference finals with that team, so the comparison here is hardly insulting.
That could work too. Makarov was a very good playmaker himself, actually.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:47 AM
  #81
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,978
vCash: 500
Kariya - Lemieux - Bobrov
????? - Federko - Mikhailov

On a scale of 1 to "Come at me, bro", how well does Bobrov fit the line I put him on?

Dwight is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 03:58 AM
  #82
VMBM
Registered User
 
VMBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
There is only one puck to go around, and based on games I have seen, Martinec* is best used as the brain of the PP, which is why I'd split the trio to create 2 dangerous PP units. But that's just my $0.02.

* I am a big fan, I've met him several times in person and even got an autograph
I'm not a big autograph guy nor usually starstruck, but I have to admit I'm a bit jealous.

Luckily I have about 10 games on DVD with him playing. I especially like him in the 2nd final of the 1976 CC; he gets 2 assists, makes a huge defensive play and prevents a sure Team Canada goal (early 2nd period), makes Serge Savard look like a pylon once and twice almost ends the game in the overtime (damn Rogie Vachon). Fun to look at; not maybe as fast nor flashy as some Soviets, but he was as good a stickhandler as anyone.

Could be used either as set-up man or trigger man, I don't know.

VMBM is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 06:32 AM
  #83
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Kariya - Lemieux - Bobrov
????? - Federko - Mikhailov

On a scale of 1 to "Come at me, bro", how well does Bobrov fit the line I put him on?
Well... Mario Lemieux is now the muscle and defensive conscience of your first line... which is probably not a good use of him.

Did Bobrov ever actually play on the right wing anyway? I thought he was strictly a left wing. I could be wrong about this one.


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 02-24-2011 at 07:10 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 08:33 AM
  #84
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,589
vCash: 500
So.... does anyone buy Starshinov as a left wing on a second line?

He was the center of one of the great Soviet lines, getting First Team All Star center in the Soviet League 7 straight seasons (63-69). But he appears to have gotten a First Team All Star at left wing (over Firsov and a young Kharlamov) in 1970. I have no idea who his linemates were or anything other than the All Star record to show that he was a left wing (and obviously a very good one) for that one season.

I can't exactly google search for Soviet era newspapers (and even if I could, I couldn't read them).

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 09:59 AM
  #85
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
So.... does anyone buy Starshinov as a left wing on a second line?
I think it's a pretty big stretch. I understand completely why you want to move him to the left wing, but I don't think one source listing him as a left wing in one season is enough to convince me, given how sketchy the information on Soviets from that period is. If you can find multiple sources, I might warm up to the idea.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 10:36 AM
  #86
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,325
vCash: 500
Kee on mind Roberts was 5'11 180+, which was big for his day and his PIM totals say he was anything but soft.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
  #87
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I think it's a pretty big stretch. I understand completely why you want to move him to the left wing, but I don't think one source listing him as a left wing in one season is enough to convince me, given how sketchy the information on Soviets from that period is. If you can find multiple sources, I might warm up to the idea.
If you believe Bernie Morris can be a center (as far as I know, he only has that one season with the AST to prove that, though there may have been more, I just don't remember), then Starshinov can be a LW.

jarek is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 11:46 AM
  #88
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 800
Is the differance between the 25th goalie and the 40th really that big? is it worth wasting a pick right now , to be honest I'm wondering about the importance of goalie , we're talking about the top 40 of a position , so they are probably all good enough to do the job.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
  #89
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Is the differance between the 25th goalie and the 40th really that big? is it worth wasting a pick right now , to be honest I'm wondering about the importance of goalie , we're talking about the top 40 of a position , so they are probably all good enough to do the job.
That depends entirely on who the goalies are. I'd recommend making a list of who you think the next best 15 goalies are and try to find where the value lies.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
  #90
Dreakmur
Registered User
 
Dreakmur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
I am headed out for a bit. Anyone want to take my list?

Dreakmur is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
  #91
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,752
vCash: 500
Any thoughts on who I should make captain?

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
  #92
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
If you believe Bernie Morris can be a center (as far as I know, he only has that one season with the AST to prove that, though there may have been more, I just don't remember), then Starshinov can be a LW.
As far as you know isn't saying much in this case. Morris played center plenty, and is recorded as a center by multiple sources over multiple seasons. It's quite different than using a single source from a very "dark" area of our hockey knowledge (pre-72 Soviets) to justify a position change.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 01:22 PM
  #93
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Any thoughts on who I should make captain?
I'll be kind to you and look up your team in the lineup thread.

Next time, I'm not going to go through the effort, so please post your lineup here.

Anyway, your team doesn't really seem to have a natural captain yet, but a lot of lesser leaders. Olmstead, Sittler, Geoffrion, and Robinson would all be fine assistant captains. Of the guys you have so far, I'd say Olmstead and Robinson are probably the best choices for C.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
  #94
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,113
vCash: 800
Robinson no doubt

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
  #95
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Well... Mario Lemieux is now the muscle and defensive conscience of your first line... which is probably not a good use of him.

Did Bobrov ever actually play on the right wing anyway? I thought he was strictly a left wing. I could be wrong about this one.
If he's strictly LW, then it's news to me. I was told he played both wings, and he's listed as a winger in last year's ATD thread.

Dwight is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
  #96
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,753
vCash: 500
Sittler is an excellent leader as well. I wouldn't rule him out of the captaincy.

seventieslord is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
  #97
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,325
vCash: 500
There's also no need to name a captain now unless you have a player that is an obvious choice.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 02:25 PM
  #98
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'll be kind to you and look up your team in the lineup thread.

Next time, I'm not going to go through the effort, so please post your lineup here.

Anyway, your team doesn't really seem to have a natural captain yet, but a lot of lesser leaders. Olmstead, Sittler, Geoffrion, and Robinson would all be fine assistant captains. Of the guys you have so far, I'd say Olmstead and Robinson are probably the best choices for C.

Sorry about that, got sidetracked at work as soon as I was making the post.

I was looking up previous ATD team and noticed Litzenberger was used as captain a couple times. Not really that important. It was just a question that was on my mind. Thanks for the advice everyone.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
  #99
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 42,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Sorry about that, got sidetracked at work as soon as I was making the post.

I was looking up previous ATD team and noticed Litzenberger was used as captain a couple times. Not really that important. It was just a question that was on my mind. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Oh right, Litz was captain of the Blackhawks for a few years, including the 1961 Cup.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
  #100
Leafs Forever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
If he's strictly LW, then it's news to me. I was told he played both wings, and he's listed as a winger in last year's ATD thread.
The ATD thread positions are far from the bible. Someone last year or the year before could have mistakingly said "Bobrov, W" when posting and it got copied, but he never actually had dual wing elgibility.

You should look into it more.

Leafs Forever is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.