HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Everybody stop crying

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2011, 11:33 AM
  #76
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Because complaisant fans buy tickets, merchandise, etc...no matter how poor the team is...(ie: Leafs).

You really think Yankee fans would sell out the Yankee stadium at those high prices if the team scraped each year for a wild card spot? If the franchise required a pitching ace for 10 years and still had not found one?

My comment was more in response to people calling me a "bad" fan because I'm critical of the team at times.
I never called you a bad fan, was just pointing out that you rarely if ever have anything nice to say regarding the management. I have no problem with you really hence why you aren't on ignore and I agree with the other poster saying you at least try to back up what you say.

The point isn't whether or not you are a bad fan really. The point is that you consider other people to be bad fans just because they support their team whether or not they're good. I get what you're saying about how fans giving money to a mediocre team gives the management no motivation to be a truly good team but that's just a close minded point of view in my opinion, and I don't say that to be mean but I say it because it's the truth.

I highly doubt PG and JM are sitting there pondering how to keep this team middle of the pack year after year, whether the tickets sell or not. I believe truly that they want us to be the best team we can be but guess what, something you may have not realize just yet is that there are 29 other teams in the NHL all trying to win too. The NHL has just as many top of the pack teams as middle or bottom. Is it because other GM's aren't trying or don't care? Places like NYI/PHO/etc have the motivation in that they need to win games in order to fill the stands and have hockey and the NHL grow in their area. For some teams what you're saying is true, like Phoenix they are a team doing well that has that motivation. For NYI they have the same motivation and an awful team.

Is it because Phoenix management cares more than the isles do? I highly doubt that. Obviously these managers and coaches and even players want to win games, they want to win playoff series' and of course want to win cups. It isn't a lack of motivation based on the fact that they'll sell tickets anyways. You make it sound like the owner of the team is the GM and that simply isn't the case.

Obviously Gauthier would love for us to be a dynasty and win every other year and be a top team for years to come, but other GM's want the same thing. Not every team can be 1st, so to blame it on the fans for buying tickets for this "mediocre team" which makes the playoffs and is at minimum in the top half of the NHL year after year, at minimum borderline, is just crazy.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
  #77
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
by watching the games you are as complaisant as the guy who has season tickets and goes to every game.
I disagree.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
  #78
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I disagree.
why is that?

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:42 AM
  #79
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yup, and VAN was playing under .500 during that time, and PITT is below .500 since.
Playing .500 hockey? When have the Canucks played .500 at all this season? That wasn't a 4-game stretch.

Canucks are 9-3 since Alex Edler (Our top ten D-man) went down, so I'd be interested to know where you got your stats. For Pittsburgh too.

Edit: Also? Its been less than 20 years guys. 20 years since you won a cup for the 137th time. Im a Canucks fan! Its been 40. Leafs fans? 44. Almost every other expansion franchise in the NHL? Not likely.

So...i know its difficult to get used to after dominating the league for so long...but 20 years isn't that bad.


Last edited by YouCantYandleThis*: 02-22-2011 at 11:50 AM.
YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:49 AM
  #80
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I never called you a bad fan, was just pointing out that you rarely if ever have anything nice to say regarding the management. I have no problem with you really hence why you aren't on ignore and I agree with the other poster saying you at least try to back up what you say.

The point isn't whether or not you are a bad fan really. The point is that you consider other people to be bad fans just because they support their team whether or not they're good. I get what you're saying about how fans giving money to a mediocre team gives the management no motivation to be a truly good team but that's just a close minded point of view in my opinion, and I don't say that to be mean but I say it because it's the truth.

I highly doubt PG and JM are sitting there pondering how to keep this team middle of the pack year after year, whether the tickets sell or not. I believe truly that they want us to be the best team we can be but guess what, something you may have not realize just yet is that there are 29 other teams in the NHL all trying to win too. The NHL has just as many top of the pack teams as middle or bottom. Is it because other GM's aren't trying or don't care? Places like NYI/PHO/etc have the motivation in that they need to win games in order to fill the stands and have hockey and the NHL grow in their area. For some teams what you're saying is true, like Phoenix they are a team doing well that has that motivation. For NYI they have the same motivation and an awful team.

Is it because Phoenix management cares more than the isles do? I highly doubt that. Obviously these managers and coaches and even players want to win games, they want to win playoff series' and of course want to win cups. It isn't a lack of motivation based on the fact that they'll sell tickets anyways. You make it sound like the owner of the team is the GM and that simply isn't the case.

Obviously Gauthier would love for us to be a dynasty and win every other year and be a top team for years to come, but other GM's want the same thing. Not every team can be 1st, so to blame it on the fans for buying tickets for this "mediocre team" which makes the playoffs and is at minimum in the top half of the NHL year after year, at minimum borderline, is just crazy.
You have me confused for someone who wants to build a winning team this instant through the trade deadline. I don't. I've talked about upgrading the D, the O and getting bigger/tougher for years now. I've stated each time that it takes time...it takes years. So I'm not sure why you guys feel the need to lump me in with the panic attack fans who want wholesale changes the minute something goes wrong. I've pointed out the holes during the offseason and during the nice runs during the season. Perhaps the fact that most of what I predicted ended up being true is why people are so angry with me.

I'm the PKSubban of the board!!!!

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:17 PM
  #81
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
You have me confused for someone who wants to build a winning team this instant through the trade deadline. I don't. I've talked about upgrading the D, the O and getting bigger/tougher for years now. I've stated each time that it takes time...it takes years. So I'm not sure why you guys feel the need to lump me in with the panic attack fans who want wholesale changes the minute something goes wrong. I've pointed out the holes during the offseason and during the nice runs during the season. Perhaps the fact that most of what I predicted ended up being true is why people are so angry with me.

I'm the PKSubban of the board!!!!
I'm speaking completely out of context in what I've said. It has nothing to do with your actual overall position on the matter, I just find whenever I see you speak it's always negativity and never anything positive, especially with management.


I'm not trying to lump you in with anybody, like I said you back up what you say in most cases. I just think there's a lot of things to be positive about too, it isn't like we're Toronto but you always tend to focus on the negatives. Plus with regard to your comments about the fans supporting the team no matter what = why we're mediocre I just plain disagree. But that's what these forums are all about I guess right?

Either way I apologize about before didn't mean to belittle you or anything but every time I do see your name I know the comments will be negative in most cases, this is all I was really trying to say. Why can't you ever look at the bright side? I think a full rebuild would be great too but it's never going to happen. Even if what you're saying is true they probably won't do a full rebuild anyways it just isn't our style. Look at the dark ages when we basically had the worst team imaginable.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:32 PM
  #82
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Excuses for loosers...

Vancouver has almost all its defence at the clinic.

Pittsburg got two all-World players on the IR
List me Pittsburgh's record without both Crosby and Malkin.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:33 PM
  #83
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
You're right...

In Montreal, we prefer average teams with average players getting average results, year after year.

We don't want to have a superstar forward, never.

We want two-three playoffs game at the Bell each year...
You prefer being a Pens fan? Go right ahead. If finishing last 5 years in a row is ok for you.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
  #84
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
Playing .500 hockey? When have the Canucks played .500 at all this season? That wasn't a 4-game stretch.

Canucks are 9-3 since Alex Edler (Our top ten D-man) went down, so I'd be interested to know where you got your stats. For Pittsburgh too.

Edit: Also? Its been less than 20 years guys. 20 years since you won a cup for the 137th time. Im a Canucks fan! Its been 40. Leafs fans? 44. Almost every other expansion franchise in the NHL? Not likely.

So...i know its difficult to get used to after dominating the league for so long...but 20 years isn't that bad.
I think he meant when 3-4 of your D went down, not just Edler.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
  #85
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 13,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Excuses for loosers...

Vancouver has almost all its defence at the clinic.

Pittsburg got two all-World players on the IR
Valid excuse

You can't compare our situation to Vancouver's

Vancouver is still very deep.

The Pens havent won a lot of games without Crosby and Malkin.

Fail

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:08 AM
  #86
XperHFB
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
So? now I beleive everybody is happy.. canadiens have won.

Are we Stanley cup material or what ?!?

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.