HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The worst officiated game ever.... Does the NHL have a problem?

Old
02-18-2011, 10:52 AM
hoosierpred

vCash: 500
The worst officiated game ever.... Does the NHL have a problem?

I've been a long time NHL fan (even before I was a Predators fan), and I've seen some bad blown calls by refs (most often in games in which Mick McGough was involved). But i don't think i've ever seen a game called in a more lopsided and unfair manner than I saw last night. During the first, i was thinking that the refs were pretty bad and I started counting.

There were at about 10 serious obvious blown calls after I started counting. All could have seriously affected the game and all went in the Canucks favor. In some of these, the refs were directly looking at the play as it was occuring right in front of them and there was no excuse. Some were judgment calls that entirely went in the Canucks favor. In contrast, I think the refs could have called one "too many men" penalty on the preds that they didn't (and this was missed because the refs attention was off the bench). Does anyone know anything about the refs last night to figure out about any reasons for bias. The NHL really needs to look at this game. Should we be concerned about a "Great Canadian Hope" syndrome?

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Yes the NHL has a problem with consistent officiating and sketchy calls (as does every other sport both pro and collegiate), but no, this was far, far, far, far from being anywhere close to the "worst officiated game ever". I'm not sure this was even in the low five games this year just considering games involving the Preds.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:05 AM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Yes the NHL has a problem with consistent officiating and sketchy calls (as does every other sport both pro and collegiate), but no, this was far, far, far, far from being anywhere close to the "worst officiated game ever". I'm not sure this was even in the low five games this year just considering games involving the Preds.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen many bigger blown individual calls, even in clumps of 2 or 3 and several times even in the preds favor, but I can't think of another game where every single disputed call went against one team. Usually, you get the impression that the refs at least try to even it out. I got none of that impression last night.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Don't go pulling a Kesler now...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:06 AM
FaceOfTheFranchise

It was a terribly officiated game without a doubt....I counted at least 5 obvious calls that went in the favor of the Canucks. "Ref you suck" was an understatement last night but thankfully poor officiating didn't decide the game

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Nitrous Mafia

The guy I was sitting in front of last night mentioned McGough. I hated that guy...

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:12 AM
kakemono

Evening out penalties is a farce. No where does it say both teams should get equal amounts of penalties. I hate make-up calls even when I'm the one get slighted by the refs. Call a penalty a penalty and if you don't think it was a panlty then don't call it. If a ref misses a call it doesn't mean he should change the rules or bend the rules to make up for a call he knows he missed. Logically, this is where trouble arised and you start a slippery slope on what consititutes a penalty.

Refs aren't biased. It is a biased crowd base that projects their bias on the refs when something doesn't go their way. Refs can have bad games just like players can. This isn't NHL11.

Over reaction much?

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:25 AM
hoosierpred

Look, I don't like the idea of evening out calls either, but what i'm trying to point out is that refs usually do it, and it becomes noticeable if they don't do it. If refs usually do it, but they don't do it for your team then your team is going to get screwed over the course of the season. I want the calls to be fair for everyone and based on what happens on the ice. I don't want player reputation or team origen to affect anything. What concerns me is that the refs last night let the Canucks play a much more physical game than the Predators were allowed to play and there was no consequences. This mimicks what happened to us when we played the sharks in the playoffs when Forsberg was on the team. Based on what happened on the ice last night, the penalties should have been about 10-2 in favor of the preds. Could this have something to do with this (i never heard about this)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305786

Last edited by hoosierpred: 02-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old
02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

I was thinking the same thing. I think the Canucks had 5 PPs last night, the Preds had 2 (and that's counting the one with about 1 minute left to go).

The too many men penalty against the Preds was definitely a penalty. I think you could make a case that Suter's interference penalty was legit too. Nevertheless, the Canuck pretty much fell down to make it look worse than it was.

The other 3 were all marginal calls that were embellished by the Canucks. Hornqvist was playing the puck and the Canuck easily dropped his stick and immediately threw his hand up like it was a major slash. The Sullivan penalty was nothing more then incidental contact. And on Wilson's high stick, the Canuck reacted about 2 seconds after the stick came up high. This is party why I hate the Canucks. They are a bunch of divers. They were falling, diving, embellishing on calls that weren't called too.

On the other hand, calls equally as marginal against the Canucks weren't made at all, including a blatant too many men miss that even the homer Canuck announcers noticed. You'd think with a home crowd, it would tend to at least even out a little.

I don't think the "REF YOU SUCK" does much good. After a while, I thought the Refs heard that and were like, "Ok, you think I suck, then lets just see how many PPs you get." They shouldn't be swayed like that, but they're human, and I'd probably have the same reaction.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:31 PM
glenngineer

The one call I thought that was missed on them was Hornqvist going to the net, he gets knocked down, the whistle blows and as he's trying to get back up one of their D levels him in the back with a cross check. I was like, really, no call, no cross check? Blows me away at how much that guy takes every game and nothing gets called. The tripping on them right before the too many men on the ice was pretty funny too. Guys stick is in our guys skates, our guy falls down yet nothing then two seconds later, too many men on the ice which was correct. Amazing how they miss something so obvious.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:12 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
The guy I was sitting in front of last night mentioned McGough. I hated that guy...
hahaha jesse and him got along

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
zellthemedic

Yes, we get it, the NHL hates the Nashville Predators probably because we're not Canadian and we're not supposed to exist (A passionate Southern hockey franchise?! PAH!).

Time to move on like we do every year.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:22 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Yes, there is a problem. Many veteran officials have retired recently and have been replaced by crappier ones who make the game about themselves. The worst officated game I've seen is Hawks @ Canucks a few weeks back. Now I see you guys complaining about the Canucks again...hmmm, guess Canada really wants to bring the Cup home this year. They wouldn't beat Preds or Hawks even with the zebras on their side, so no dice.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:03 PM
johnbull86

the Goalie interference call blew my mind...

it was a total joke how much the refs just turned their cheek.. I even remember late everyone was calling for the penalty and the ref twisted his hand back & forth saying that it was kinda a penalty but he wasn't calling it..

otherwise .. I've never been at such a pumped/hostile regular season game.. the fans really showed up and nor have I ever heard "Refs you suck" chanted so many times at Bridgestone.. and I agree that chanting that does no good.. about as much sense us saying hey you suck when we do good but whatever I go along with it anyways

They Blew the entire game.. and tried to suck the life out of the building.. we didn't quit in the 3rd and pekka of course

another thing, why wouldn't they just let o'brien throw the gloves down for once.. lol

johnbull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbull86 View Post
another thing, why wouldn't they just let o'brien throw the gloves down for once.. lol
because, knowing our luck, he would have broken his hand knocking burrows out with one punch and then we'd be down two dmen.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:19 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbull86 View Post
the Goalie interference call blew my mind...

it was a total joke how much the refs just turned their cheek.. I even remember late everyone was calling for the penalty and the ref twisted his hand back & forth saying that it was kinda a penalty but he wasn't calling it..

otherwise .. I've never been at such a pumped/hostile regular season game.. the fans really showed up and nor have I ever heard "Refs you suck" chanted so many times at Bridgestone.. and I agree that chanting that does no good.. about as much sense us saying hey you suck when we do good but whatever I go along with it anyways

They Blew the entire game.. and tried to suck the life out of the building.. we didn't quit in the 3rd and pekka of course

I think it lets the refs know that 16,000 people have a sharply different opinion. You won't get away with doing a very poor job without taking some abuse. Would you prefer people climbing over the glass or throwing fruit? This isn't Europe.

I have seen some really bad games in Milwaukee. Back in 1990, there was a riot. The game was halted for 20 minutes to remove the debris from the ice. That was the middle of the second period after the third 5-on-3 called against Milwaukee and just after Coach Curt Fraser was ejected. The other team broke some sticks over Admirals players and none of those were called. That ref needed 10 cops to get off the ice after the game and never worked another IHL game here again. Even the newspaper said he stunk! Maybe if the Preds fans do that once, Bettman will wake up and hold the on-ice officials accountable for stealing a paycheck some nights.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:02 AM
hoosierpred

Wow, two horribly refed games in a row. Last night the refs were responsible for a 2 goal swing. The non-high sticking cost us a goal for and the non call on the offsides gave them 1. This is getting ridiculous.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:18 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
Wow, two horribly refed games in a row. Last night the refs were responsible for a 2 goal swing. The non-high sticking cost us a goal for and the non call on the offsides gave them 1. This is getting ridiculous.
Really? Go watch the replay. While SOB said Morris embellished, his stick was in the side of Morris' head. While I hate that the refs effect the outcome sometimes, the call on SOB was correct. The offsides call sucked but it was no excuse for the defensive breakdown between Klein and Weber either. You play til the whistle blows and both backed off giving dude enough time to shoot the puck past Rinne. And while there was no call on Doan for the hit on Suter, Suter gave him a pretty good check moments earlier and Suter had the puck, got rid of it and Doan gave him payback. While it may not seem fair, if you're gonna hit, be prepared to get hit. It's hockey, it's a tough sport sometimes. I hate that Suter got hurt on that play but that's why you have your head up and if anyone on the team thought it was a cheap shot, they would've stood up for Suter at the time.

This isn't directed at you hoosier. Regardless of whether or not the game was officiated well or not, we still have to go out and skate hard for 60 minutes and we didn't do that at all last night. While the refs certainly didn't help matters, we didn't help ourselves. If we want calls, we have to be skating and playing hard and I just didn't see that at all last night. We were sloppy, not getting pucks deep, turning the puck over, etc. Even Belak commented on this during the game. When your own teammate notices this, something is wrong.

We need to get some consistency with our lines again and get back to 12 forwards forechecking hard every shift to be effective. Sully is done IMO. Wilson is ineffective playing with Ward and Smithson. Get Wilson back with Leggy and Hornqvist. Injuries are not helping matters but it's just an excuse. Guys have to step up.

Old
02-20-2011, 10:43 AM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Really? Go watch the replay. While SOB said Morris embellished, his stick was in the side of Morris' head. While I hate that the refs effect the outcome sometimes, the call on SOB was correct. The offsides call sucked but it was no excuse for the defensive breakdown between Klein and Weber either. You play til the whistle blows and both backed off giving dude enough time to shoot the puck past Rinne. And while there was no call on Doan for the hit on Suter, Suter gave him a pretty good check moments earlier and Suter had the puck, got rid of it and Doan gave him payback. While it may not seem fair, if you're gonna hit, be prepared to get hit. It's hockey, it's a tough sport sometimes. I hate that Suter got hurt on that play but that's why you have your head up and if anyone on the team thought it was a cheap shot, they would've stood up for Suter at the time.

This isn't directed at you hoosier. Regardless of whether or not the game was officiated well or not, we still have to go out and skate hard for 60 minutes and we didn't do that at all last night. While the refs certainly didn't help matters, we didn't help ourselves. If we want calls, we have to be skating and playing hard and I just didn't see that at all last night. We were sloppy, not getting pucks deep, turning the puck over, etc. Even Belak commented on this during the game. When your own teammate notices this, something is wrong.

We need to get some consistency with our lines again and get back to 12 forwards forechecking hard every shift to be effective. Sully is done IMO. Wilson is ineffective playing with Ward and Smithson. Get Wilson back with Leggy and Hornqvist. Injuries are not helping matters but it's just an excuse. Guys have to step up.
This. Twice.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

That third goal.... waaaaaaaay offsides

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:04 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
That third goal.... waaaaaaaay offsides
Doesn't matter, guys need to play til the whistle blows and both Weber and Klein clearly backed off. While it may or may not have been offsides, they still have to play.

Old
02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

i don't think it was a lack of effort last night. you had one line totally suck-with wilson and ward not having much of a game. one line with a guy who couldn't see-sully, and another with a guy who tries real hard but doesn't have much left and it showed-dumont. add in suter getting hurt, a poor game from sulzer and us not handling their forecheck well, last night happens.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:55 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

He wasn't offside. Especially not waaaaay offside. I rewound it and watched frame by frame. The exact moment the puck crossed the blueline everyone was either touching the line or behind it.

SOB's high stick was a good call, but an incredibly dumb penalty. He could have shoved the guy at shoulder height and we have that goal count.

The officiating was horrible in the Vancouver game. Last night there were some blown calls, but the ones people are bringing up weren't those calls. Just some missed calls or weak calls. i.e. the penalty shot when Doan was going down on his own, but because a stick was sorta-kinda-almost touching him they called it a penalty shot. Complete ********

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Predsfan80

I agree about the call on SOB last night. Clearly on the megatron it showed the penalty. It was a bone headed penalty that he took that cost us a goal.

Predsfan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 02:57 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

do you think that call gets made on a vancouver player in vancouver? or a detroit player in detroit? or a pittsburgh player in pittsburgh? of course not.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote