HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spaling upside

Old
02-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Kritty

vCash: 500
Spaling upside

I'm curious from usual observers, what is the upside of Nick Spaling? Seen only as a 3rd line centre down the road or does he have more upside than that? What are his projections?

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
I'm curious from usual observers, what is the upside of Nick Spaling? Seen only as a 3rd line centre down the road or does he have more upside than that? What are his projections?
I think that is his MAX potential. I would put him in a lesser class than Goc, but SLIGHTLY above Smithson/Mueller. That being said, he is an EXCELLENT PK'er and will likely be the successor to Smithson/Ward as our top PK guy in years to come.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
I think that is his MAX potential. I would put him in a lesser class than Goc, but SLIGHTLY above Smithson/Mueller. That being said, he is an EXCELLENT PK'er and will likely be the successor to Smithson/Ward as our top PK guy in years to come.
Yeah, this. I don't see him ever cracking a pure scoring line. BUT I think his upside is a very good, reliable 3rd liner. Comparable to someone like Pahlsson

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
predfan24

I like to say he's going to be Smithson with more skill and less physicality.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

First off, I'm biased because I just love the kid.

No, he will never make a scoring line. I do think he will be one of the top 3rd line centers in the league, as well as a top PKer. He works hard night-in night-out, and makes some great plays on the PK. I can't think of anyone outside of Hornqvist that works as hard as him. I can't wait to keep him around over Ward and Smithson.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I have a man-crush on Spaling. The kid's motor never stops. He won't throw a lot of big hits, and he won't put up a lot of points. He does well along the boards, his positioning is almost always great, he provides energy, and he is a penalty killing machine.

If he's in your top six you either have a ton of injuries, or you're looking to tank the season.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
glenngineer

Belak compared him to Yelle the other night which was a great compliment I thought. He'll be a very good 3rd line center for years to come. Great on the PK. Extremely cerebral player. He's a guy that rarely hurts a team with his decisions on the ice. Doesn't take bad penalties for the most part. Hustles. Well liked teammate too which goes a long way.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote