HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Conroy to Atlanta? (rumor)

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 02:48 PM
ChowsBaby21

vCash: 500
Conroy to Atlanta? (rumor)

I heard this on another message board, that Atlanta was going to sign Conroy on the 1st. Has anyone else heard anything to support this?

Old
06-29-2004, 02:51 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

nope

Old
06-29-2004, 03:00 PM
ChowsBaby21

There was an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution talking about how Conroy is a possibility, also on thefourthperiod.com

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/atl33.html

Old
06-29-2004, 03:02 PM
CCF
This is the year....

He's got it good in Calgary. If Conroy was smart, he'd stay with the Flames. He wouldn't be a first line player in Atlanta, he's got it made where he is.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:51 PM
ChowsBaby21

I don't think that Craig necessarily wants to leave Calgary. He is always raving about how much he loves it there and how much his family loves it, plus he has one school age daughter which is never fun to move. But you can't always get what you want, and it doesn't appear that the Flames are overly interested in bringing him back.

Old
06-29-2004, 03:53 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChowsBaby21
it doesn't appear that the Flames are overly interested in bringing him back.
Disagree. Flames would love him back but unfortunately for where he fits on the team and our current budget Sutter can't really afford to give him a raise. In fact he might be asking Craig to take a paycut.

But I know Calgary has made an offer so saying they aren't interested isn't very truthful. It's really up to Craig. If he's about the money then he'll go elsewhere. If money isn't his #1 priority then perhaps we'll see him back. Personally I doubt it though, sounds like he's looking to make the big bucks now that he's an UFA for the first time.

Old
06-29-2004, 04:21 PM
neely

Send a message via ICQ to neely
Conroy

I know for a fact his Calgary house is on the market..doesn't sound like he's planning on staying

Old
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
He's got it good in Calgary. If Conroy was smart, he'd stay with the Flames. He wouldn't be a first line player in Atlanta, he's got it made where he is.
In all likelyhood he'd play with either Heatley or Kovalchuk in Atlanta and would get paid more then in Calgary. Atlanta would be a good fit for him as well IMO.

Old
06-29-2004, 05:48 PM
MBJets

Conroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Disagree. Flames would love him back but unfortunately for where he fits on the team and our current budget Sutter can't really afford to give him a raise. In fact he might be asking Craig to take a paycut.

But I know Calgary has made an offer so saying they aren't interested isn't very truthful. It's really up to Craig. If he's about the money then he'll go elsewhere. If money isn't his #1 priority then perhaps we'll see him back. Personally I doubt it though, sounds like he's looking to make the big bucks now that he's an UFA for the first time.
The owners treat the players like they are a product to be bought and sold, then when the players ask to be payed for the roll they play on the team then all of a sudden the players are to think about the good of the team. Or someone says they are all about the money, that is pure PS. If the owners want the right to move the players around during the season or at the trade deadline then the players deserve to get pay for it with out being critized.

Conroy as been an important part of the Flames the last couple seasons so they should treat him that way.

Calgary doesn't want to pay him, they don't want him that is plain and simple.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:21 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets
The owners treat the players like they are a product to be bought and sold, then when the players ask to be payed for the roll they play on the team then all of a sudden the players are to think about the good of the team. Or someone says they are all about the money, that is pure PS. If the owners want the right to move the players around during the season or at the trade deadline then the players deserve to get pay for it with out being critized.

Conroy as been an important part of the Flames the last couple seasons so they should treat him that way.

What a bunch of crap. The Flames had the respect to take Conroy to their team and GIVE HIM #1 lien status. If it was not for the Flames Conroy would be a #3 center still for some team. He would not have had the chance to play with Iginla AND Conroy would NOT be making this much money as a #3 center. Your post was a bunch of garbage.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
What a bunch of crap. The Flames had the respect to take Conroy to their team and GIVE HIM #1 lien status. If it was not for the Flames Conroy would be a #3 center still for some team. He would not have had the chance to play with Iginla AND Conroy would NOT be making this much money as a #3 center. Your post was a bunch of garbage.
That doesn't change the truth in what he said. Management and teams get all over players when they want more money, even when they "deserve" it. Granted, there are plenty of crazy players demanding money well beyond what they should get, which hurts their team. But when a player wants the money that generally is a paid to a player of his skill or position, it isn't about "hurting the team". I think for a lot of players it is more about feeling respected and appreciated than getting a fourth car.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Flamin Homer

Conroy will go to ever gives him the most $$ and icetime. For all you fans who bash him for leaving think about it. If you were making 10.00/hr and some other employer came and offered you 25.00/hr. you would take it. I like Conroy, hes been great for the team and the city but if he can get more $$$ somewhere else then more power to him. That is why the system of free agency is in place.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:34 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:

oh boo hoo.. yeah millions to play your favorte game.. tissue?

Old
06-29-2004, 07:50 PM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Homer
Conroy will go to ever gives him the most $$ and icetime. For all you fans who bash him for leaving think about it. If you were making 10.00/hr and some other employer came and offered you 25.00/hr. you would take it. I like Conroy, hes been great for the team and the city but if he can get more $$$ somewhere else then more power to him. That is why the system of free agency is in place.
I don't disagree with your overall point but I hate that comparison. Those guys are freakin' rich. It's much easier to make decisions based on other factors than money for them. But when you make 10$/hr and you're offered almost thrice as much you can't just refuse it because you don't want to move or because you like your work environment. Just a bad comparison...

Old
06-29-2004, 08:26 PM
dunwoody_joe

Conroy is a good fit in Atlanta. He can play the #1 or #2 center position and in either case play with good linemates.

Atlanta will give him a nice raise and he'll love the city. However, I don't know that the rumors are solid. The AJC reported on Conroy and the Fourth Period picked up the story.

I bet DW is looking at several UFA centers and will also scrounge the unqualified RFAs too. Centerman is the top priority.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:37 PM
kolanos

The Flames reportedly offered Conroy a 3-year deal for $6.7M. Sutter is banking on security, I don't think any other team is going to offer him more than a two-year deal.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH˛
I don't disagree with your overall point but I hate that comparison. Those guys are freakin' rich. It's much easier to make decisions based on other factors than money for them. But when you make 10$/hr and you're offered almost thrice as much you can't just refuse it because you don't want to move or because you like your work environment. Just a bad comparison...
No kidding. A more appropriate comparison would be if you were making say $50 an hour and another company offered you $55/hour to move your family and create a new home. When you're already making a ******** of money, it's harder to move, especially if both offers are fairly close.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:29 PM
capman29

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
oh boo hoo.. yeah millions to play your favorte game.. tissue?
Boo hoo the fan that want to see the game but *****es about the cost and what players make.Boy if you do not like players watch the owners . Better yet stop watching period.There is no game without the players

Old
06-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Go Flames Go*

We offered him a contract a 2 year deal which included a pay cut, he declined. He was comparing himself to Sergi Federov. Hes 33, I don't think the market will offer him more then the 2.2 he makes already.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
You seem to contradict yourself in that paragraph, but I won't pick on that. Lets focus on the hockey. So what do you pay an 8 goal scorer? In no shape or form does Craig Conroy deserve the $3 million he's supposedly asking for. In fact, he doesn't deserve the $2.5 million he was paid for last season. He's played with one of the best players in the game and has been rewarded greatly by doing so, in both a hockey and monitary sense. This is a guy who was a third line journeyman before being paired with Iginla. I think its not a stretch to imagine him becoming a third line journeyman again the minute he doesn't have Iginla on his wing.

Quote:
Treat him that way? I thought that $2.5 million was being treated pretty good. I thought that rewarding an 8 goal scorer with first line ice time was being treated pretty good. I thought that not benching him for poor play on numerous occassions during the season was treating him pretty good. Heck, maybe because Jarome Iginla carries his ass all over the ice for two seasons there are those that believe Conroy is more than the third liner he was in Montreal and St. Louis? I would think that Craig Conroy should be bending over backwards and kissing the arse of everyone in the Flames orgainzation. They rescued his flagging career and made him into something that he is not, and that's a percieved offensive threat, which is completely wrong. A fire hydrant could score 8 goals playing with Jarome Iginla.

Quote:
Again, what do you pay a 32 year old 8 goal scorer? If he makes over $1.5 million this next contract someone is over-paying. Conroy is a great guy who hustles and is a great interview. Beyond that he is nothing special. Craig Conroy can be very easily replaced in Calgary's system.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:38 AM
E = CH˛

Considering what Draper got I'd say Conroy is worth about as much or slightly less.

Old
06-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'd say that some team will believe Craig Conroy is worth $3 million a year easily, and so does he. He's a free agent and this is his chance to explore his options. He can always sound out the market and return to the Flames if it turns out that no one wants him at that price, though I very much doubt that the market is quite that thin. He was the #1 center and a character guy on a Cup Finalist not so very long ago. That carries weight.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Flamin Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH˛
All I am saying is when you make a certain amount of $$ a year you live according to your income. You have a certain life style. Whether its cars, a nice house, or the "toys" you own. Players play on average maybe 8-10 years. I figure Conroy has at best 5 years to make his "fortune". As a father and husband myself I would be willing to move to a company(TEAM), that would pay me the max amount of $$ for what I do in order to plan for my future when my career is over. Thats just me, whether players feel that way or not I don't know but if they do then I can't blame them for doing what they feel is best for them and there family.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:21 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by capman29
Boo hoo the fan that want to see the game but *****es about the cost and what players make.Boy if you do not like players watch the owners . Better yet stop watching period.There is no game without the players
no game without the players.. gotcha thanks

Old
07-01-2004, 02:27 PM
MBJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
With you’re thinking, there would be no one who would switch duties or assignments on a team. Conroy was a 3rd line center in St Louis, correct but the Flames got Conroy thinking he had potential to play on a offensive line, which he did. He had 75 pts in 81 games, 59 pts in 79 games, 47 pts in 63 games in 3 seasons.

He is a strong two-way center. Good guy in the dressing room, who knew to give,
up the C to Iginla. Also Iginla mentioned in the playoffs more than once that Conroy was an unbelievable passer and made it easy for him to score.

It is not his fault Calgary will not pay him for the role he played on the team. If he elects to go and play a 3rd line center position somewhere that is his choice.
Good luck in finding someone to replace him for 2.2m. Conroy has averaged 181 pts in 223 games. Over 3 seasons .881 points/ per game, killed penalties and a good face-off man. The only thing that is garbage is the Flames thinking they will be better without him the truth hurts.

Closed Thread