HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft)

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
So your calling him American? He's more Russian than American that's fact. You think he wants to play for the US because he is patriotic for that country?

It doesn't matter ethnically who he is, and to be honest Russian/Ukranian/Belarus aren't all that diffrent, culturally, he's Russian. Speaks Russian at home, eats Russian food.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if he plays for ther US, its for his career not becuase he's some Good Ole American boy who wants to represent his country.
He was bron in the US, then went to Belarus where his father is from....that is not Russia... you claim he is definitely Russian, and I merely pointed out that is incorrect.

Not calling him American either, but he isnt Russian as well....

Might as well call anyone born in Mexico, American.....oh wait....

Last edited by AmericanDream: 04-29-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old
04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Why?
Let's see now, how many here are in the HHOF, have won just about everything there is to win in hockey and have worked for a KHL club?

Quote:
For Russians the CHL route has historially been worse than to stay in Russia. There are countless of examples.
Larionov has a better insight into the CHL and other North American leagues, he knows the right teams for the right players. You can't judge player as a group, you have to look at each player's situation individually. And let's be reality, it's not like he's trying to "lure" the biggest prospects aways from Russia but the ones that are on the bubble, in the wrong club (too stacked for youngsters or other) or would benefit from playing small rinks, the need to play against more physical or aggressively checking opponents. E.g. the latter is the reason why John Klinberg moved from Sweden to Helsinki Jokerit.

Old
04-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
He was bron in the US, then went to Belarus where his father is from....that is not Russia... you claim he is definitely Russian, and I merely pointed out that is incorrect.

He never was in Belarus. His lived in numerous places (where his father played) but eventually settled in Moscow where he received most of his hockey training with Dynamo. And from what Yakupov says, the family certainly appears ethnically Russian.

Old
04-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Let's see now, how many here are in the HHOF, have won just about everything there is to win in hockey and have worked for a KHL club?

Larionov has a better insight into the CHL and other North American leagues, he knows the right teams for the right players. You can't judge player as a group, you have to look at each player's situation individually. And let's be reality, it's not like he's trying to "lure" the biggest prospects aways from Russia but the ones that are on the bubble, in the wrong club (too stacked for youngsters or other) or would benefit from playing small rinks, the need to play against more physical or aggressively checking opponents. E.g. the latter is the reason why John Klinberg moved from Sweden to Helsinki Jokerit.
Not trying to lure the best prospects? What do you call Yakupov and Galchenyuk?

C'mon. Larionov is a North American based agent for Russian NHLers - therefore he has financial incentives to get kids over to NA asap (exposure/nullification of Russian factor, etc.).
Of course he's gonna say staying in Russia harms development.

I'd put more stock into what Kovalchuk and Ovechkin say. Unlike Larionov, they don't appear to have any ulterior motives.....especially considering they're very loyal to the NHL.

Old
04-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:

Why does he speak Russian then? He went to Russia after his father finished his career. He spoke Russian growing up, he speaks Russian now. Culturally his definitely family is Russian.

Love your awful analogy, do all Mexicans have American citzenship? Do they speak English instead of Spanish? Galchenyuk has Russian Citzenship and speaks Russian.

If he plays for the US, he'll be no more American than Nick Folingo, who plays for the US and the only American part of him is his citizenship.

Old
04-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Why does he speak Russian then? He went to Russia after his father finished his career. He spoke Russian growing up, he speaks Russian now. Culturally his definitely family is Russian.

Love your awful analogy, do all Mexicans have American citzenship? Do they speak English instead of Spanish? Galchenyuk has Russian Citzenship and speaks Russian.

If he plays for the US, he'll be no more American than Nick Folingo, who plays for the US and the only American part of him is his citizenship.

To be fair, Galchenyuk is a bit of a hockey nomad, so as a very good NHL prospect it makes sense for him to go in directions that will further his career. Not that you're disputing that, but its the crux of the matter.

Old
04-30-2011, 12:44 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:

Not sure if you are grasping my point.

You said the kid is DEFINITELY Russian, and from your statement, I pointed out that is incorrect, he isnt definitely Russian....it was a play off your statement only. I am well aware of where Alex played as I seem to be one of the few that actually knew this kid before Sarnia drafted him. Watched him many times for CYA 2 years ago.

Whether or not he feels more Russian then American is no longer the point, and we dont need you to point out the ridiculous obvious that he will do whatever bests his chances of being a pro...

The problem I have with you is, why do you care? What does it matter to you to rip what he chooses and where he supposedly is from? It seems you might be a bit jealous that the US will land a very elite forward one day, and if that isnt the case, then you really are just wasting time on here..

He is born in America, played many years here in the states, and seems to have a nice connection here, especially to Chicago which some of his family still resides. I dont care why he picks the US, the point is he has the BIRTH RIGHT to pick the US, and nobody on here can say he doesnt...this isnt a Tyler Myers situation here at all, the kid was actually born in the US...

Old
04-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
I'd put more stock into what Kovalchuk and Ovechkin say. Unlike Larionov, they don't appear to have any ulterior motives.....especially considering they're very loyal to the NHL.
Neither of them works at "grass roots" level and both were pretty much guaranteed NHL players long before the draft due to their sizes and obvious talent, I doubt they know what's it's like these days for the not so obvious NHL players nor how the younger players develop (that are getting paid big) in the KHL .

Old
04-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Fourier

Interestingly enough both the OHL and Hdb site list him as being born in Sarnia. Given all of the claims of him being American born, is this wrong?

Old
04-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Not sure if you are grasping my point.

You said the kid is DEFINITELY Russian, and from your statement, I pointed out that is incorrect, he isnt definitely Russian....it was a play off your statement only. I am well aware of where Alex played as I seem to be one of the few that actually knew this kid before Sarnia drafted him. Watched him many times for CYA 2 years ago.

Whether or not he feels more Russian then American is no longer the point, and we dont need you to point out the ridiculous obvious that he will do whatever bests his chances of being a pro...

The problem I have with you is, why do you care? What does it matter to you to rip what he chooses and where he supposedly is from? It seems you might be a bit jealous that the US will land a very elite forward one day, and if that isnt the case, then you really are just wasting time on here..

He is born in America, played many years here in the states, and seems to have a nice connection here, especially to Chicago which some of his family still resides. I dont care why he picks the US, the point is he has the BIRTH RIGHT to pick the US, and nobody on here can say he doesnt...this isnt a Tyler Myers situation here at all, the kid was actually born in the US...
You seem to get on the defensive and start spouting off random **** when you get called out for being wrong. You started when you tried to tell me he isn't Russian, which you clearly didn't have a clue about.

He played his OHL draft year in NA so he could be drafted into the OHL without the import draft, otherwise he would have stayed in Russia. He's not American at all except for the fact he was born there. I don't know why you keep trying to tell everyone he's American in threads he's mentioned in, citizenship doesn't mean anything, Galchenyuk lived hardly at all in the US, it was not many years.

Old
04-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Interestingly enough both the OHL and Hdb site list him as being born in Sarnia. Given all of the claims of him being American born, is this wrong?
I think so, or else he would be Russian-Canadian and not Russian-American. He didn't live in the US long enough to get citzenship on its own.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Yes.

Old
04-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Gobo
Stop looking Gare

Oilers take Larsson this year, Galchenyuk next year.

Anyways, anyone think his draft stock will be hurt because he plays with Yakupov?

Old
04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Canuck71*

vCash:
Quote:
Yea its wrong. But Galchenyuk and his family actually live in Sarnia year round right now. They moved here after Sarnia selected him.

Old
05-12-2011, 05:20 PM
GoLeafs13

Are there any other centers competing for top in the draft with him?

Old
05-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Hockeysemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMac View Post
Are there any other centers competing for top in the draft with him?
Mikhail Grigorenko

Old
07-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Slitty

I see that Galchenyuk has been invited to team USA's camp for the Ivan Hlinka tournament (link), suggesting that he (in combination with his father and Larionov) does indeed want to play for the US. However, has he ever actually played two consecutive seasons of hockey in the US?

To protect against players representing nations that did not develop them, under the IIHF eligibility criteria - a player with multiple citizenships must have played at least two consecutive seasons of registered hockey (at any level) in the nation s/he wishes to compete for. This rule applies regardless of whether the player acquired the citizenship(s) at birth or through naturalization.

Page 30 of IIHF Statues and Bylaws:
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...and_Bylaws.pdf

Quote:
1.7 When a player has multiple citizenship where the relevant citizenships are for countries of
member national associations and he has never represented any country in any IIHF
championship or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in
order to play for the country of his choice he must
a) prove that he has participated for at least two consecutive years in the national
competitions of and resident in the country that he wishes to represent during which
period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any
other country and
b) if the country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must
have had an IIHF international transfer card approved and dated by the IIHF at least
two years prior to his proposed participation.

For Galchenyuk, there doesn't seem to be a record of anything other than one season for Chicago in the MWEHL right before he got drafted into the OHL. He was far too young to play any/enough hockey as a child during the two years his family spent in Michigan before returning to Europe for good (link). Consequently, he might run into some obstacles in terms of the IIHF allowing him to play for the Americans, and will either have to wait until he plays two consecutive years in the States or renounce his Russian citizenship for immediate eligibility.

Old
07-01-2011, 08:46 PM
ecemleafs

ridiculous idea. he was born in the united states. if he wants to play for the country of his birth he is certainly entitled to do so.

Old
07-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Hanji

Wow, that's very interesting.

Old
07-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
I see that Galchenyuk has been invited to team USA's camp for the Ivan Hlinka tournament (link), suggesting that he (in combination with his father and Larionov) does indeed want to play for the US. However, has he ever actually played two consecutive seasons of hockey in the US?

To protect against players representing nations that did not develop them, under the IIHF eligibility criteria - a player with multiple citizenships must have played at least two consecutive seasons of registered hockey (at any level) in the nation s/he wishes to compete for. This rule applies regardless of whether the player acquired the citizenship(s) at birth or through naturalization.

Page 30 of IIHF Statues and Bylaws:
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...and_Bylaws.pdf

For Galchenyuk, there doesn't seem to be a record of anything other than one season for Chicago in the MWEHL right before he got drafted into the OHL. He was far too young to play any/enough hockey as a child during the two years his family spent in Michigan before returning to Europe for good (link). Consequently, he might run into some obstacles in terms of the IIHF allowing him to play for the Americans, and will either have to wait until he plays two consecutive years in the States or renounce his Russian citizenship for immediate eligibility.
My friend, I'm sure the IIHF is ready to forget about these rules when they talk with Uncle Sam

Old
07-02-2011, 05:35 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Hlinka's tournament is not an official IIHF tournament anyway, so he can play in it for team USA if he wants to.

Old
07-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Dima_BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
He never was in Belarus. His lived in numerous places (where his father played) but eventually settled in Moscow where he received most of his hockey training with Dynamo. And from what Yakupov says, the family certainly appears ethnically Russian.
well, that is ********! all his parents and grandparents are belarusian. not only he lived in belarus and almost every summer spends a month or so living in his family's apartments in minsk and summer cottage near a small village of gorodische, but also played for mogilev and minsk junior hockey school teams.

Old
07-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima_BLR View Post
well, that is ********! all his parents and grandparents are belarusian. not only he lived in belarus and almost every summer spends a month or so living in his family's apartments in minsk and summer cottage near a small village of gorodische, but also played for mogilev and minsk junior hockey school teams.
He speaks perfect Russian however and thats what he uses to speak at home. Why would a Belarussian with Russian/American citzenship (That kinda proves it right there) speak Russian exclusively at home? If Alex Galchenyuk Sr was good enough to play for the Russian national team instead of the Belarussian, you can bet he would've.

You can't debate his Belarussian heritage, but he's certainly Russian now.

Old
07-30-2011, 08:24 AM
ramzanahmadovic

Quote:
You can't debate his Belarussian heritage
Oh yes you can. Galchenyuk is ukrainian name not belarussian.

Old
07-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzanahmadovic View Post
Oh yes you can. Galchenyuk is ukrainian name not belarussian.
You knew what I meant.

Closed Thread