HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
  #76
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fort Worth TX
Country: United States
Posts: 12,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
So your calling him American? He's more Russian than American that's fact. You think he wants to play for the US because he is patriotic for that country?

It doesn't matter ethnically who he is, and to be honest Russian/Ukranian/Belarus aren't all that diffrent, culturally, he's Russian. Speaks Russian at home, eats Russian food.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if he plays for ther US, its for his career not becuase he's some Good Ole American boy who wants to represent his country.
He was bron in the US, then went to Belarus where his father is from....that is not Russia... you claim he is definitely Russian, and I merely pointed out that is incorrect.

Not calling him American either, but he isnt Russian as well....

Might as well call anyone born in Mexico, American.....oh wait....


Last edited by AmericanDream: 04-29-2011 at 12:48 PM.
AmericanDream is offline  
Old
04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
  #77
Jussi
Registered User
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The List Of Jericho
Country: Finland
Posts: 58,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Why?
Let's see now, how many here are in the HHOF, have won just about everything there is to win in hockey and have worked for a KHL club?

Quote:
For Russians the CHL route has historially been worse than to stay in Russia. There are countless of examples.
Larionov has a better insight into the CHL and other North American leagues, he knows the right teams for the right players. You can't judge player as a group, you have to look at each player's situation individually. And let's be reality, it's not like he's trying to "lure" the biggest prospects aways from Russia but the ones that are on the bubble, in the wrong club (too stacked for youngsters or other) or would benefit from playing small rinks, the need to play against more physical or aggressively checking opponents. E.g. the latter is the reason why John Klinberg moved from Sweden to Helsinki Jokerit.

Jussi is offline  
Old
04-29-2011, 01:24 PM
  #78
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rostov-on-Don
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
He was bron in the US, then went to Belarus where his father is from....that is not Russia... you claim he is definitely Russian, and I merely pointed out that is incorrect.

Not calling him American either, but he isnt Russian as well....

Might as well call anyone born in Mexico, American.....oh wait....
He never was in Belarus. His lived in numerous places (where his father played) but eventually settled in Moscow where he received most of his hockey training with Dynamo. And from what Yakupov says, the family certainly appears ethnically Russian.

Zine is offline  
Old
04-29-2011, 01:40 PM
  #79
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rostov-on-Don
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Let's see now, how many here are in the HHOF, have won just about everything there is to win in hockey and have worked for a KHL club?



Larionov has a better insight into the CHL and other North American leagues, he knows the right teams for the right players. You can't judge player as a group, you have to look at each player's situation individually. And let's be reality, it's not like he's trying to "lure" the biggest prospects aways from Russia but the ones that are on the bubble, in the wrong club (too stacked for youngsters or other) or would benefit from playing small rinks, the need to play against more physical or aggressively checking opponents. E.g. the latter is the reason why John Klinberg moved from Sweden to Helsinki Jokerit.
Not trying to lure the best prospects? What do you call Yakupov and Galchenyuk?

C'mon. Larionov is a North American based agent for Russian NHLers - therefore he has financial incentives to get kids over to NA asap (exposure/nullification of Russian factor, etc.).
Of course he's gonna say staying in Russia harms development.


I'd put more stock into what Kovalchuk and Ovechkin say. Unlike Larionov, they don't appear to have any ulterior motives.....especially considering they're very loyal to the NHL.

Zine is offline  
Old
04-29-2011, 01:59 PM
  #80
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
He was bron in the US, then went to Belarus where his father is from....that is not Russia... you claim he is definitely Russian, and I merely pointed out that is incorrect.

Not calling him American either, but he isnt Russian as well....

Might as well call anyone born in Mexico, American.....oh wait....
Why does he speak Russian then? He went to Russia after his father finished his career. He spoke Russian growing up, he speaks Russian now. Culturally his definitely family is Russian.

Love your awful analogy, do all Mexicans have American citzenship? Do they speak English instead of Spanish? Galchenyuk has Russian Citzenship and speaks Russian.

If he plays for the US, he'll be no more American than Nick Folingo, who plays for the US and the only American part of him is his citizenship.

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Old
04-29-2011, 04:24 PM
  #81
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Why does he speak Russian then? He went to Russia after his father finished his career. He spoke Russian growing up, he speaks Russian now. Culturally his definitely family is Russian.

Love your awful analogy, do all Mexicans have American citzenship? Do they speak English instead of Spanish? Galchenyuk has Russian Citzenship and speaks Russian.

If he plays for the US, he'll be no more American than Nick Folingo, who plays for the US and the only American part of him is his citizenship.

To be fair, Galchenyuk is a bit of a hockey nomad, so as a very good NHL prospect it makes sense for him to go in directions that will further his career. Not that you're disputing that, but its the crux of the matter.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
04-30-2011, 12:44 AM
  #82
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fort Worth TX
Country: United States
Posts: 12,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Why does he speak Russian then? He went to Russia after his father finished his career. He spoke Russian growing up, he speaks Russian now. Culturally his definitely family is Russian.

Love your awful analogy, do all Mexicans have American citzenship? Do they speak English instead of Spanish? Galchenyuk has Russian Citzenship and speaks Russian.

If he plays for the US, he'll be no more American than Nick Folingo, who plays for the US and the only American part of him is his citizenship.
Not sure if you are grasping my point.

You said the kid is DEFINITELY Russian, and from your statement, I pointed out that is incorrect, he isnt definitely Russian....it was a play off your statement only. I am well aware of where Alex played as I seem to be one of the few that actually knew this kid before Sarnia drafted him. Watched him many times for CYA 2 years ago.

Whether or not he feels more Russian then American is no longer the point, and we dont need you to point out the ridiculous obvious that he will do whatever bests his chances of being a pro...

The problem I have with you is, why do you care? What does it matter to you to rip what he chooses and where he supposedly is from? It seems you might be a bit jealous that the US will land a very elite forward one day, and if that isnt the case, then you really are just wasting time on here..

He is born in America, played many years here in the states, and seems to have a nice connection here, especially to Chicago which some of his family still resides. I dont care why he picks the US, the point is he has the BIRTH RIGHT to pick the US, and nobody on here can say he doesnt...this isnt a Tyler Myers situation here at all, the kid was actually born in the US...

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
04-30-2011, 06:30 AM
  #83
Jussi
Registered User
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The List Of Jericho
Country: Finland
Posts: 58,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
I'd put more stock into what Kovalchuk and Ovechkin say. Unlike Larionov, they don't appear to have any ulterior motives.....especially considering they're very loyal to the NHL.
Neither of them works at "grass roots" level and both were pretty much guaranteed NHL players long before the draft due to their sizes and obvious talent, I doubt they know what's it's like these days for the not so obvious NHL players nor how the younger players develop (that are getting paid big) in the KHL .

Jussi is offline  
Old
04-30-2011, 07:15 AM
  #84
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Interestingly enough both the OHL and Hdb site list him as being born in Sarnia. Given all of the claims of him being American born, is this wrong?

Fourier is online now  
Old
04-30-2011, 07:34 AM
  #85
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Not sure if you are grasping my point.

You said the kid is DEFINITELY Russian, and from your statement, I pointed out that is incorrect, he isnt definitely Russian....it was a play off your statement only. I am well aware of where Alex played as I seem to be one of the few that actually knew this kid before Sarnia drafted him. Watched him many times for CYA 2 years ago.

Whether or not he feels more Russian then American is no longer the point, and we dont need you to point out the ridiculous obvious that he will do whatever bests his chances of being a pro...

The problem I have with you is, why do you care? What does it matter to you to rip what he chooses and where he supposedly is from? It seems you might be a bit jealous that the US will land a very elite forward one day, and if that isnt the case, then you really are just wasting time on here..

He is born in America, played many years here in the states, and seems to have a nice connection here, especially to Chicago which some of his family still resides. I dont care why he picks the US, the point is he has the BIRTH RIGHT to pick the US, and nobody on here can say he doesnt...this isnt a Tyler Myers situation here at all, the kid was actually born in the US...
You seem to get on the defensive and start spouting off random **** when you get called out for being wrong. You started when you tried to tell me he isn't Russian, which you clearly didn't have a clue about.

He played his OHL draft year in NA so he could be drafted into the OHL without the import draft, otherwise he would have stayed in Russia. He's not American at all except for the fact he was born there. I don't know why you keep trying to tell everyone he's American in threads he's mentioned in, citizenship doesn't mean anything, Galchenyuk lived hardly at all in the US, it was not many years.

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Old
04-30-2011, 07:36 AM
  #86
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Interestingly enough both the OHL and Hdb site list him as being born in Sarnia. Given all of the claims of him being American born, is this wrong?
I think so, or else he would be Russian-Canadian and not Russian-American. He didn't live in the US long enough to get citzenship on its own.

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Old
04-30-2011, 11:55 AM
  #87
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Interestingly enough both the OHL and Hdb site list him as being born in Sarnia. Given all of the claims of him being American born, is this wrong?
Yes.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
04-30-2011, 02:14 PM
  #88
Gobo
Stop looking Gare
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,440
vCash: 500
Oilers take Larsson this year, Galchenyuk next year.

Anyways, anyone think his draft stock will be hurt because he plays with Yakupov?

Gobo is offline  
Old
04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
  #89
Canuck71*
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Interestingly enough both the OHL and Hdb site list him as being born in Sarnia. Given all of the claims of him being American born, is this wrong?
Yea its wrong. But Galchenyuk and his family actually live in Sarnia year round right now. They moved here after Sarnia selected him.

 
Old
05-12-2011, 05:20 PM
  #90
GoLeafs13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Are there any other centers competing for top in the draft with him?

GoLeafs13 is offline  
Old
05-12-2011, 05:49 PM
  #91
Hockeysemin
Registered User
 
Hockeysemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMac View Post
Are there any other centers competing for top in the draft with him?
Mikhail Grigorenko

Hockeysemin is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 07:56 PM
  #92
Slitty
Registered User
 
Slitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,854
vCash: 500
I see that Galchenyuk has been invited to team USA's camp for the Ivan Hlinka tournament (link), suggesting that he (in combination with his father and Larionov) does indeed want to play for the US. However, has he ever actually played two consecutive seasons of hockey in the US?

To protect against players representing nations that did not develop them, under the IIHF eligibility criteria - a player with multiple citizenships must have played at least two consecutive seasons of registered hockey (at any level) in the nation s/he wishes to compete for. This rule applies regardless of whether the player acquired the citizenship(s) at birth or through naturalization.

Page 30 of IIHF Statues and Bylaws:
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...and_Bylaws.pdf

Quote:
1.7 When a player has multiple citizenship where the relevant citizenships are for countries of
member national associations and he has never represented any country in any IIHF
championship or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in
order to play for the country of his choice he must
a) prove that he has participated for at least two consecutive years in the national
competitions of and resident in the country that he wishes to represent during which
period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any
other country and
b) if the country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must
have had an IIHF international transfer card approved and dated by the IIHF at least
two years prior to his proposed participation.

For Galchenyuk, there doesn't seem to be a record of anything other than one season for Chicago in the MWEHL right before he got drafted into the OHL. He was far too young to play any/enough hockey as a child during the two years his family spent in Michigan before returning to Europe for good (link). Consequently, he might run into some obstacles in terms of the IIHF allowing him to play for the Americans, and will either have to wait until he plays two consecutive years in the States or renounce his Russian citizenship for immediate eligibility.

Slitty is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 08:46 PM
  #93
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,962
vCash: 500
ridiculous idea. he was born in the united states. if he wants to play for the country of his birth he is certainly entitled to do so.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
07-01-2011, 10:56 PM
  #94
Hanji
Registered User
 
Hanji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 1,265
vCash: 500
Wow, that's very interesting.

Hanji is online now  
Old
07-02-2011, 02:13 AM
  #95
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Registered User
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
I see that Galchenyuk has been invited to team USA's camp for the Ivan Hlinka tournament (link), suggesting that he (in combination with his father and Larionov) does indeed want to play for the US. However, has he ever actually played two consecutive seasons of hockey in the US?

To protect against players representing nations that did not develop them, under the IIHF eligibility criteria - a player with multiple citizenships must have played at least two consecutive seasons of registered hockey (at any level) in the nation s/he wishes to compete for. This rule applies regardless of whether the player acquired the citizenship(s) at birth or through naturalization.

Page 30 of IIHF Statues and Bylaws:
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...and_Bylaws.pdf




For Galchenyuk, there doesn't seem to be a record of anything other than one season for Chicago in the MWEHL right before he got drafted into the OHL. He was far too young to play any/enough hockey as a child during the two years his family spent in Michigan before returning to Europe for good (link). Consequently, he might run into some obstacles in terms of the IIHF allowing him to play for the Americans, and will either have to wait until he plays two consecutive years in the States or renounce his Russian citizenship for immediate eligibility.
My friend, I'm sure the IIHF is ready to forget about these rules when they talk with Uncle Sam

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 05:35 AM
  #96
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Hlinka's tournament is not an official IIHF tournament anyway, so he can play in it for team USA if he wants to.

ozo is offline  
Old
07-30-2011, 04:28 AM
  #97
Dima_BLR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Good Old Europe
Country: Belarus
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
He never was in Belarus. His lived in numerous places (where his father played) but eventually settled in Moscow where he received most of his hockey training with Dynamo. And from what Yakupov says, the family certainly appears ethnically Russian.
well, that is ********! all his parents and grandparents are belarusian. not only he lived in belarus and almost every summer spends a month or so living in his family's apartments in minsk and summer cottage near a small village of gorodische, but also played for mogilev and minsk junior hockey school teams.

Dima_BLR is offline  
Old
07-30-2011, 07:00 AM
  #98
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima_BLR View Post
well, that is ********! all his parents and grandparents are belarusian. not only he lived in belarus and almost every summer spends a month or so living in his family's apartments in minsk and summer cottage near a small village of gorodische, but also played for mogilev and minsk junior hockey school teams.
He speaks perfect Russian however and thats what he uses to speak at home. Why would a Belarussian with Russian/American citzenship (That kinda proves it right there) speak Russian exclusively at home? If Alex Galchenyuk Sr was good enough to play for the Russian national team instead of the Belarussian, you can bet he would've.

You can't debate his Belarussian heritage, but he's certainly Russian now.

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Old
07-30-2011, 08:24 AM
  #99
ramzanahmadovic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
You can't debate his Belarussian heritage
Oh yes you can. Galchenyuk is ukrainian name not belarussian.

ramzanahmadovic is offline  
Old
07-30-2011, 02:16 PM
  #100
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzanahmadovic View Post
Oh yes you can. Galchenyuk is ukrainian name not belarussian.
You knew what I meant.

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.