HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Should Bobrovsky have made the save on Pyatt's shot?

View Poll Results: Should Bob have saved the 2nd goal?
Every NHL goalie should be expected to make that save 13 20.63%
No NHL goalie should be expected to make that save 6 9.52%
Bobrovsky specifically shouldn't be expected to make that save 0 0%
It's an odd bounce, but he still needs to make that save 44 69.84%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-22-2011, 11:09 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 500
Should Bobrovsky have made the save on Pyatt's shot?

There has been a disagreement on Bobrovsky's responsiblity of the 2nd goal against tonight. What is your opinion?

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I thought it was soft. When the defensemen fail, that's a save the goalie needs to make.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
You'd like the goalie to make the save, but it's not the first easy shot that took a left-hand turn at the last second.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:12 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Should he have stopped it? Yes, but every goalie makes mistakes and Bobrovsky is young therefore he will probably end up making more mistakes than the normal. He just has to learn from his mistakes and he will make it very far in this league

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Should he have stopped it? Yes, but every goalie makes mistakes and Bobrovsky is young therefore he will probably end up making more mistakes than the normal. He just has to learn from his mistakes and he will make it very far in this league
This is my opinion, aswell. Just because he should be expected to make the save doesn't take anything away from him.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
There is luck in the game. Most of the time that puck that takes a late bounce hits Bobrovsky in the position he was in, that particular one happened to have eyes. No goalie should be "expected" to make saves on pucks that are deflected 20 feet in front of them, particularly when they're deflected off the ice, by the ice (as opposed to something forseeable like a stick).

I voted that no goalie should be "expected" to make it, provided it takes that same exact late bounce over their leg pads. Too little time to move your blocker to it. Granted, a lot of the time you get lucky and that puck finds your stomach or hand or leg anyway.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Terence Peterman

No goalie should be expected to make that save. Every goalie prepares for every shot, but you can't prepare for what happened on that one.

If he makes it, great. If not, well, they're the ones you shrug off. Frankly, if we're talking about pucks that should've been stopped, there should probably be more concern over some of the ones that hit the post than this one.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
There is luck in the game. Most of the time that puck that takes a late bounce hits Bobrovsky in the position he was in, that particular one happened to have eyes. No goalie should be "expected" to make saves on pucks that are deflected 20 feet in front of them, particularly when they're deflected off the ice, by the ice (as opposed to something forseeable like a stick).

I voted that no goalie should be "expected" to make it, provided it takes that same exact late bounce over their leg pads. Too little time to move your blocker to it. Granted, a lot of the time you get lucky and that puck finds your stomach or hand or leg anyway.
I'm not following the part about how it was deflected 20 feet in front of him.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:27 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
It's an odd bounce, but he still needs to make that save was my vote.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RIPRichardsCarter

It's an odd bounce, but he still needs to make that save.

It was a bad break down and then it was an odd bounce, but that has to be saved.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
No goalie should be expected to make that save. Every goalie prepares for every shot, but you can't prepare for what happened on that one.

If he makes it, great. If not, well, they're the ones you shrug off. Frankly, if we're talking about pucks that should've been stopped, there should probably be more concern over some of the ones that hit the post than this one.
this is actually a pretty good point, I have noticed a few time in the past few bobrovsky starts he will have a shot beat him high that either just misses or rings off the bar. He comes out and it almost looks like he ducks, and then when it hits the pipe he almost looks confused

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:30 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
this is actually a pretty good point, I have noticed a few time in the past few bobrovsky starts he will have a shot beat him high that either just misses or rings off the bar. He comes out and it almost looks like he ducks, and then when it hits the pipe he almost looks confused
This has worried me also.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I'm not following the part about how it was deflected 20 feet in front of him.
The puck bounced (i.e. deflected from it's original path) 20 feet in front of him. He had ~1/4 second from the time it bounced to when it was traveling under his arm.

He chose the right save for the original shot, and sealed the ice in the butterfly. The puck bounced late and found a hole, **** happens.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Snipsnap12

Such a hard question to answer... do you expect a goalie to make a save on a wrist shot from the blueline? 100% of the time yes.... but when it takes such a crazy bounce off the ice like that and handcuffs them I think you just gotta chalk it up as a bad luck play that even the most elite goalies are subject to

Old
02-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Dorny12

A bouncing puck can go in very quirky directions. Like an infielder in baseball, they take "bad" hops - they're very hard to stop.
- A Goalie's Father

Dorny12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I think Leighton should have made his save in the finals.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

We're approaching the home stretch and both our goalies still have the same faults/weaknesses as they did in camp. They both play too deep in the net, Boosh is vulnerable stick side high and Bob relies too heavily on his lateral movement rather than sound positioning.

Jeff Reese, take a bow.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
We're approaching the home stretch and both our goalies still have the same faults/weaknesses as they did in camp. They both play too deep in the net, Boosh is vulnerable stick side high and Bob relies too heavily on his lateral movement rather than sound positioning.

Jeff Reese, take a bow.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

Jeff Reese, take a bow.
Uh....what.

I don't really even know how to begin addressing the Boosh thing. Bob has certainly improved...and come on, this is his first season in North America.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Snipsnap12

jeff reese should probably be goalie coach of the year, he has a rookie goalie that has never played in North America putting up great numbers, and has a journeyman backup goalie essentially playing the best hockey of his career while looking the best I have ever seen him

Old
02-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Well then I'll help you out. Next time Boosh starts and we're on the pk, take a look at where he plays in the net. Yes, it's easier to look through traffic playing deep but it leaves you susceptible to tip-in goals which he very much is. This team is regressing, no self respecting fan gives 2 ***** about the first 60 games. This team can win it all this year but not with a rookie goalie that the rest of the league has the word out on. I could care less how unpopular a sentiment this is but Bobrovsky should have been sent down to Adirondack. He would have been better off regaining his form through adversity and hardship in the minors rather than finding it playing behind a ridiculously deep "D" in Philly. How many "Cechmanek Jerseys you think are stashed away in the closets of Philadelphia?

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Well then I'll help you out. Next time Boosh starts and we're on the pk, take a look at where he plays in the net. Yes, it's easier to look through traffic playing deep but it leaves you susceptible to tip-in goals which he very much is.

This team is regressing, no self respecting fan gives 2 ***** about the first 60 games. This team can win it all this year but not with a rookie goalie that the rest of the league has the word out on. I could care less how unpopular a sentiment this is but Bobrovsky should have been sent down to Adirondack. He would have been better off regaining his form through adversity and hardship in the minors rather than finding it playing behind a ridiculously deep "D" in Philly. How many "Cechmanek Jerseys you think are stashed away in the closets of Philadelphia?
Take a look at all goalies on the PK. They all play deeper, out of necessity. All of them. You challenge shooters on the PK the way you do 5on5 and you're going to get back doored, or you're going to lose your net trying to skate side to side with the fast d-to-d passing when you're out of your crease. The need to play deeper is even greater when you are a goalie like Boucher, who has very poor lateral movement.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:23 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Bob lets in a softie (bad bounce, but still) and suddenly the board explodes.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:53 AM
phantomphan

Quote:
Well then I'll help you out. Next time Boosh starts and we're on the pk, take a look at where he plays in the net. Yes, it's easier to look through traffic playing deep but it leaves you susceptible to tip-in goals which he very much is. This team is regressing, no self respecting fan gives 2 ***** about the first 60 games. This team can win it all this year but not with a rookie goalie that the rest of the league has the word out on. I could care less how unpopular a sentiment this is but Bobrovsky should have been sent down to Adirondack. He would have been better off regaining his form through adversity and hardship in the minors rather than finding it playing behind a ridiculously deep "D" in Philly. How many "Cechmanek Jerseys you think are stashed away in the closets of Philadelphia?
I bet you Devils fans give 2 ***** about the first 60 games.

phantomphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:55 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Bob lets in a softie (bad bounce, but still) and suddenly the board explodes.
I wouldn't say the board exploded, but he lets in soft goals now and then, but like I said, it is fine, he is a rookie. After letting in a soft goal he usually stands on his head.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote