HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Oscar Klefbom vs Jonas Brodin

Old
02-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Oscar Klefbom vs Jonas Brodin

Just wondering what you think of them. It seems to me like they can both move the puck well. However, Klefbom seems to have a better game overall, better defensively and more physical.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:04 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Just wondering what you think of them. It seems to me like they can both move the puck well. However, Klefbom seems to have a better game overall, better defensively and more physical.
From what I understand Brodin is the one who is actually better defensively. Klefbom has major offensive upside but defensively is a big question mark. Brodin tends to be described as good overall but not flashy. His scouting reports tend to remind me of mark pysyk last year.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
From what I understand Brodin is the one who is actually better defensively. Klefbom has major offensive upside but defensively is a big question mark. Brodin tends to be described as good overall but not flashy. His scouting reports tend to remind me of mark pysyk last year.
Brodin's scouting reports indicate that he's good defensively, but he's entirely to small to be an effective defensive defenseman in the NHL. Klefbom's defense has never been described as "a question mark" in anything I've ever seen, and his size and aggressiveness is miles ahead of Brodin's.

Brodin's a quality prospect, but if you're looking for the guy who's going to be an NHL-level top four defenseman sooner rather than later, you pick Klefbom.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:10 PM
winther88

Since I, because they're playing for my team, have seen every game both of them have played with the seniors this year I feel that I know pretty much about these guys and there's no doubt that Brodin is the better of the two in the defensive zone.

Brodin's also the better skater and has a better first pass and he's solving every situation in such a calm way in his own end that he reminds me a lot of the way Nick Lidstrom was playing in his own end in his younger years.

Klefbom is a bit more physical which comes natural with his size and he's also the one of the two with most offensive upside. Klefbom has been scoring nine points in nine games with Sweden U18 this season for example.

I think both of them have the potential to be real good defenders in the NHL. Brodin needs to improve his strength and shot to become more effective and if he can do that I really think he will be a top four defenceman for most teams in the NHL.

Klefbom's already got the size and strength for the NHL but needs to be better positionally in the defensive zone and improve his passing abilities. I would say that he has a longer way to go but he could also become a real good NHL defender.

Right now Brodin's definitely the better of the two and I think that he could be a steal in the draft for a team in need of a good shutdown defenceman.

winther88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:22 PM
sg58

Finally someone is comparing a young Swedish D-man to Lidstrom, right?

I agree with you on the assesment of the players right now. Brodin has handled SEL with more ease than Klefbom. However, Klefbom's frame and upside in his game will make him a better pick in my opinion, even though there's little doubt that Brodin will be picked before Klefbom will.

Riskier with Klefbom - higher upside.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther88 View Post
Since I, because they're playing for my team, have seen every game both of them have played with the seniors this year I feel that I know pretty much about these guys and there's no doubt that Brodin is the better of the two in the defensive zone.

Brodin's also the better skater and has a better first pass and he's solving every situation in such a calm way in his own end that he reminds me a lot of the way Nick Lidstrom was playing in his own end in his younger years.

Klefbom is a bit more physical which comes natural with his size and he's also the one of the two with most offensive upside. Klefbom has been scoring nine points in nine games with Sweden U18 this season for example.

I think both of them have the potential to be real good defenders in the NHL. Brodin needs to improve his strength and shot to become more effective and if he can do that I really think he will be a top four defenceman for most teams in the NHL.

Klefbom's already got the size and strength for the NHL but needs to be better positionally in the defensive zone and improve his passing abilities. I would say that he has a longer way to go but he could also become a real good NHL defender.

Right now Brodin's definitely the better of the two and I think that he could be a steal in the draft for a team in need of a good shutdown defenceman.
just wondering if Brodin's play has improved more than Klefbom's this season. Like Prussian_Blue, what I heard was that Klefbom's defense was better than Brodin's.

Last edited by Mathletic: 02-23-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old
02-23-2011, 09:27 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
just wondering if Brodin's play has improved more than Klefbom's this season. Like Prussian_Blue, what I heard was that Klefbom's defense was better than Brodin's.
Admittedly, i only watch SEL highlights. But thats quite the opposite i've seen in scouting reports.... I don't know where you've been seeing different.

Some examples from the beginning of the season.

Quote:
D Oscar Klefbom

An excellent skater who prefers to jump up into the play with abandon, Klefbom is a tremendous talent offensively in the way he can make plays at high speed and join the rush at a moment’s notice. A skilled passer either in tight or over long distances, Klefbom is also a capable shooter thanks to a low, powerful slapshot and a pro-caliber wrister. Defensively, Klefbom’s issue is one of experience; too often he will keep his stick too close to his own body, allowing an opponent to pressure and pass unhindered. For a player of his size, Klefbom is also beat too often by players coming from behind the net.
Quote:
D Jonas Brodin

The youngest player ever to suit up for Färjestad’s top men’s club, prior to his promotion to the Elitserien in 2009-10 for three games, Jonas Brodin’s most frequent competition had come against J18 clubs- the North American equivalent of Midget AAA. At just 6’0, 163 lbs, Brodin is a shining example of just how far elite hockey sense can carry you.

“He's not a spectacular player, he will not take on three players at one time with the puck. But he solves almost any situation and plays smart and simple,” raved head coach Tommy Samuelsson in an interview with HockeyServige.se last season after the youngster’s debut.

An even more memorable quote came from the then-head coach of the Timrå Red Eagles, whom Brodin faced in his first game.

“I did not think I would be impressed by such a young guy,” said legendary coach Charles Berglund to HockeySverige. “One thinks, of course, to tell the players just to ‘run over that ****ing brat’, but it is of course not that easy.”

Now in his first year as a Färjestad regular, Brodin is continuing to impress with his steady defensive play. Quick on skates- especially when forced to change direction at a moment’s notice- Brodin may never be a Nicklas Lidstrom, but he has the potential to be a top-four defender at the NHL level.
Quote:
One more in a long line of highly skilled and mobile puck-moving rearguards from Sweden, the tall (6-1) but very lanky Brodin is an outstanding skater whose strength is his east-west lateral movement and ability to crossover in the face of forwards who attack with speed. He's got excellent vision and defensive instincts, able to diagram unfolding plays and put himself in position to interdict and neutralize the opposition attack. Brodin also has the ability to start the transition game to offense with his soft hands and crisp outlet passing. Although only about 165-170 pounds, Brodin has also shown a surprising ability to play a physical game. This is especially significant because he's competing at the Swedish Elite League (SEL) level this season with Färjestad.
Quote:
Oscar Klefbom D 20-Jul-93 SWE-3 SWE
Big blueliner is an excellent skater who has a penchant for the offensive game; defensive play needs work

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 03:26 PM
younggun1501

Bump. How are they looking in the playoffs?

younggun1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:29 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I'm really intrigued with Klefbom. I'm really hoping the Hawks pick him up. He sounds like the peftect Dman for our system that, because of his size, would really compliment some of our smaller Dmen.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Pellegrino

I think Brodin is better now, but Klefbom has better potential.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
cheerupmurray

Klefbom might turn out to be the better pick, but right now I really like Brodin. He plays very mature and solid. He must have had one of the best seasons ever by a 17-year old in SEL really, never looks out of place or overwhelmed.

I think he might have a secret offensive upside too, it's not like theres tons of d-men that have scored a lot of points in SEL as 17 year olds in the history of hockey, theres Adam Larsson and Tomas Jonsson, and ummm... that's about it.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Really hoping the Wings get one of these two.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
joe89

Depends on how you see it. If offense is always the indicator of potential, then Klefbom probably has the higher ceiling considering his frame. But Brodin's defensive instincts are natural and smooth, and not easy to come by just like that..

He has also had his fair share of production with Sweden's Team 18 and 20 this season(3+3 in 12 games), and he has a passing play indicating that he could be more than just elite defensively. That he hasn't put up a lot of points in the SEL is not an indicator of his offensive upside, basically no 17 yo defender ever puts up more than a handful of points, not that it's an every day occurence to see so young players get to play at all. Klefbom himself has about the same point ratio in the SEL, although I'm sure his ice time has been more than limited because of his defensive flaws. He will also not be close to be considered small like someone said, even if he needs to bulk up. For all we know, he might end up growing another inch and be listed at 6'2" 205 in a few years. At smallest he's 6'1" and 190 which is good enough to begin with.

So while Klefbom has a little better offensive ceiling, has great skating ability and is naturally bigger(it won't be as big a difference when they've both grown into a man's body), I wouldn't necessarily call his overall upside bigger. Brodin is the more intriguing prospect to me and looks like he could be a really complete defender, I like when the defense comes naturally.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 03:07 AM
wwvdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun1501 View Post
Bump. How are they looking in the playoffs?
Klefbom isn't with the big club at the moment. He's already preparing for the U18 WC in Germany. Brodin is getting regular minutes playing in the finals for Färjestad. Unspectacular but solid as always. A very smart player that doesn't get into trouble quickly. He did make a few mistakes yesterday in the 5th period against Skelefteå but I can forgive a 17 year-old making a few mistakes playing against grown-ups that late. It must have been past his bedtime!

wwvdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Mathletic

I wasn't a fan of Klefbom in his own end vs Canada

Old
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Still haven't seen either of them live or on TV...but to me they both sound intriguing.

Here was a post from earlier today from Kirk @ http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Jonas Brodin, D- Nothing that Brodin does on the surface jumps out at you, although he is a mobile skater who plays a smooth game in transition. However, when you watch this kid closely, you realize how mature he is in terms of his development and understanding of situations on the ice. His reads are outstanding, and he makes split-second decisions that may not garner a lot of attention, but keep the play moving. His stats are never anything to write home about, but hockey isn't just about the stats. The ones who can think the game at a higher level and don't make mental mistakes are always prized because in the right system with strong talent around the individual, the production will come. Brodin will likely be a coveted option for the team that snatches him. First round or bust. If he somehow slips to the second, the team that lands him will have excellent value.
Quote:
Oscar Klefbom, D- Sweden's top puck rusher is Brodin's teammate in Farjestad and is a much flashier prospect because he zooms up the ice like he's been shot from a cannon, fires the puck hard and plays a more aggressive, dynamic style. He may not be Brodin's equal defensively or even in how he processes and thinks the game, but we love the way he activates at the right time and will jump into the play. When he's on his game, he will attack defenses with speed and can gain the zone on his own. He instinctively sees the shooting lanes opening up and takes advantage- he's not afraid to get the puck on net and likes to hammer it at the goalie as much as he can. Klefbom does have the vision and hands to hit his teammates with passes. If teams are looking for a defender who loves to rush the puck over your more classic puck mover, than Klefbom is their guy.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
dnicks17

Brodin looks to have elite hockey sense.

He just seems to be so cerebral.

I'm surprised a guy with his package of skill, hockey sense and mobility isn't getting more hype.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

I'm surprised a guy with his package of skill, hockey sense and mobility isn't getting more hype.
I liked him a lot in the game vs Canada. I guess the less you hear his name, the more he does his job right. I just checked the boxscore vs Canada and he was +3, leader for the Swedes. It's really indicative of the game he played.

Old
04-22-2011, 02:43 AM
bsmith14

i want Brodin at #19 and Klefblom at #31!

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 08:20 AM
XO
El Tigre

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Brodin's scouting reports indicate that he's good defensively, but he's entirely to small to be an effective defensive defenseman in the NHL. Klefbom's defense has never been described as "a question mark" in anything I've ever seen, and his size and aggressiveness is miles ahead of Brodin's.

Brodin's a quality prospect, but if you're looking for the guy who's going to be an NHL-level top four defenseman sooner rather than later, you pick Klefbom.
what? kid is 17 and is 6"1 so there's still some room to grow. you dont have to be 6'3+ to be an effective defensive d-man.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:23 AM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu Fiasco View Post
what? kid is 17 and is 6"1 so there's still some room to grow. you dont have to be 6'3+ to be an effective defensive d-man.
But weights something like 165. Pretty thin.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:18 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
But weights something like 165. Pretty thin.
Duncan Keith when drafted was 5'11 168.

Did he grow in height?

Did he develop more muscle or add more weight?

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:59 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Still haven't seen either of them live or on TV...but to me they both sound intriguing.

Here was a post from earlier today from Kirk @ http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/
It would seem the two of them, Brodin to Klefbom complement each other in Farjestad, like Alzner to Carlson in WSH, or Weber to Suter in NSH.

That being said, I would take Klefbom higher than Brodin based on upside. Lots of time to refine coverage skills.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

Sounds like someone the Red Wings would love to target if he lasts till the end of the 1st round.

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 05:47 PM
James Franco

Jonas Brodin is such a badass name. I hope the Ducks draft him

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote