HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burkie has his eyes on Colorado.

Old
02-23-2011, 08:02 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If Paul Statsny is available, you guys should give them what ever they want and go after him, I wish we would but were stuck with our #11
I'd be a little hesitant that pays full premium for a guy having a mediocre season (by his standards), and makes $6.6m. Truth be told, I really do think that a price tag like that brings his value down significantly. Phanouf is a good example.

On the flip side, he's obviously a great playmaker. Kessel would be happy. So it's not like he'd ever go for peanuts. I don't know what it would take to land him, truthfully.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:09 AM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins415 View Post
Wouldn't a spreadsheet work?
Good point: I would use a database rather than a spreadsheet but sure, a computer program could easily generate all that information. I suppose a visual learner would like having it all visible as an overview on a wall. But this should not be taken as an indication that other teams who don't have a "wall" are not likewise tracking the players and prospects of all other teams in the NHL and elsewhere.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Good point: I would use a database rather than a spreadsheet but sure, a computer program could easily generate all that information. I suppose a visual learner would like having it all visible as an overview on a wall. But this should not be taken as an indication that other teams who don't have a "wall" are not likewise tracking the players and prospects of all other teams in the NHL and elsewhere.
The wall is much easier than a database in terms of viewing. If all you are looking for is a way to see the names, a database would be a huge waste of resources.

That being said, I am sure they have hard lists and I would bet that any database would be that of prospect and player evaluations that could be updated wirelessly from scouts around the world so that your source of knowledge about players is as updated as possible.

That makes sense for a database. Getting a bigger picture..well that's what the wall is for

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:41 AM
teeks643
GO LETS GO

A database a waste of resources?

some places around the world they don't even HAVE walls.

teeks643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickKaine View Post
That's impressive. I somehow think only a handful of GMs do that, if that many.
it is pretty cool. it'd be fun to sit around that table with the scouts and management and see how they talk about the players in private. i'm sure its no different than the way we all talk about them. probably a lot less sophisticated than we might think.

i'm pretty sure most teams would have something similar to this. i've seen junior hockey "war rooms" have a wall similar to this.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggins415 View Post
Wouldn't a spreadsheet work?
compare staring at a 21 inch screen to looking at a wall

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Why not just go to capgeek. :p

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:06 AM
thatshype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
it is pretty cool. it'd be fun to sit around that table with the scouts and management and see how they talk about the players in private. i'm sure its no different than the way we all talk about them. probably a lot less sophisticated than we might think.

i'm pretty sure most teams would have something similar to this. i've seen junior hockey "war rooms" have a wall similar to this.
Watch the behind the scenes footage of Burke selecting his Olympic roster... it has scenes of Burke and Wilson and several others doing exactly what you're describing.

At one point, Burke says "How many ****** do we have?", and then goes on to list the "******" that he's selected: "Malone is a *****, Kesler's a *****, .." etc etc.
It's quite comical.

They also showed this wall in that documentary too.

thatshype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:06 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

it's kind of like putting all your screwdrivers on a wall with hooks

it's not neccessary, but it looks impressive

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:07 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Printing charts like that after every transaction would be a pain in the butt.

I would imagine they have all that information online, but it's always good to have visuals in meetings where you can talk and walk.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Hackshot11

Look for Paul Stastsy rumours to pick up steam.....Peter pulled a Frantisek Kaberle Sr.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355005

Hackshot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:10 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
I use a 24 inch at work, 26 inch at home and still print out 36 x 48 inch charts for clarity when discussing things.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:14 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackshot11 View Post
Look for Paul Stastsy rumours to pick up steam.....Peter pulled a Frantisek Kaberle Sr.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355005
I doubt that has much influence on the team's management unless Paul comes out and says the same thing.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
Burke wanted to use the screen outside the ACC but apparently they couldn't get it through his office doors so they had to hang it outside.

Morguee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I use a 24 inch at work, 26 inch at home and still print out 36 x 48 inch charts for clarity when discussing things.
Everybody has different learning styles, which was a point in my original post. I, for one, would find it far easier and more useful to send a query to a database, "Display all leftwingers under 24 in the St. Louis Blues farm system" than to find the place on the wall. That would then be linked with scouting reports, stats etc. And shifting electrons with trades, demotions etc. is easier than moving pieces of paper around a crowded wall. That might not work for you, which is fine.

I am not criticizing Burke. It works for him. I am just suggesting that the implicit criticism in this thread of other organizations who may not have a "wall" is misplaced. They doubtless do their due diligence in tracking players also.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:24 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Boston's 1st
Philly's 1st
Leafs 2nd
Philly's 3rd
Giggy

for

Stastny.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:26 AM
deleteme
Leafs for cup

It's like the matrix

deleteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:26 AM
unstuck

It's easier for a team of several people to look at and discuss the wall than a computer screen, IMO. Also it's just always there for reference when you are doing other things on the comp.

unstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:31 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Everybody has different learning styles, which was a point in my original post. I, for one, would find it far easier and more useful to send a query to a database, "Display all leftwingers under 24 in the St. Louis Blues farm system" than to find the place on the wall. That would then be linked with scouting reports, stats etc. And shifting electrons with trades, demotions etc. is easier than moving pieces of paper around a crowded wall. That might not work for you, which is fine.

I am not criticizing Burke. It works for him. I am just suggesting that the implicit criticism in this thread of other organizations who may not have a "wall" is misplaced. They doubtless do their due diligence in tracking players also.
Obviously, the easy part is using a DB, but try explaining things on a small 26 inche monitor in a board room when there are dozens of relationships between dozens of objects with hundreds of attibutes.

What font size would you use to display 30 teams with 60 players each on your monitor?

Old
02-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Obviously, the easy part is using a DB, but try explaining things on a small 26 inche monitor in a board room when there are dozens of relationships between dozens of objects with hundreds of attibutes.

What font size would you use to display 30 teams with 60 players each on your monitor?
He should have one of those huge touch screen monitors as his conference table.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:34 AM
67Cup

Quote:

If I had to do that, and I doubt it would happen very often, I would use an LCD projector or smartboard or something like that.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:34 AM
veedubn1

Unless it's one of the young guys Colorado would be dope's to give up.. I want nothing to do with the guys on their roster.

These rumours about Liles make me nervous. He's not the puckmover people think he is. He had a hot October/November and has been mediocre at best since that time.

Not to mention he's over 30 and not a physical player.

Don't want, don't need.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:40 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
Boston's 1st
Philly's 1st
Leafs 2nd
Philly's 3rd
Giggy

for

Stastny.
I wish, unless names like Kadri, Colborne and those 1st round picks are not part of the equation Colorado has no reason to listen. They would probably ask for Schenn as well.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:44 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

Probably that way so more people can look at it at once.

I'd bet they also have a database they can query when needed.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:50 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Thats kick ass.

Only think better would be a giant table with little figurines (colour coded by team) representing all the players on a giant map of the world. Fletch could push them around with a little stick and Burke could sit high above on a throne looking down. Nonis relays Burke's order.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote