HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Thoughts on Christian Thomas's upside?

View Poll Results: What do you see as Christian Thomas's eventual upside?
Looking like a steal! 1st line RW 21 26.92%
Solid, solid 2nd rounder - 10 year career as a 2nd liner with one or two 30G seasons. 46 58.97%
Useful NHL career. A decent 3rd liner who plays a couple years on the 2nd. 7 8.97%
Size prevents him from being an effective 4th liner. Up and down from the AHL for his career. 3 3.85%
Looks good in the OHL. Doesn't translate to the pros. Scores some goals in the A - that's it. 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Christian Thomas's upside?

[Another Christian Thomas thread - in particular because I wanted to add a poll. Mods, if you want to merge with the old one, please go ahead.]

So, what are people's thoughts on Stumpy's kid? I know a lot of us (including myself) haven't had the chance to see him play in person or even more than highlights on video, but personally I'm getting quite excited. Going by third party reports, highlights and, yes, stat surfing, it's hard not to be blown away by the kid. The OT game winner last night was just the icing on the cake.

2nd in the OHL in goals playing with no other high-level prospects. Elite sniping skills. Small(er) in stature, but unlike Bourque who scares the bejesus out of me, he appears a lot more solidly built and resistant to physical play. (I also think he may have grown and added some weight since he was drafted.)

I'm starting to think he may have 1st line RW potential. Thoughts?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

High-risk, high-return.

It really depends on the question. If the question is his absolute upside, then it's no doubt that it's first line. If the question is his most likely outcome, then it's second line, on par with something like Zuccarello. But he can also be a total bust.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:49 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
High-risk, high-return.

It really depends on the question. If the question is his absolute upside, then it's no doubt that it's first line. If the question is his most likely outcome, then it's second line, on par with something like Zuccarello. But he can also be a total bust.
I hear you - I guess I meant where do you, in your heart of hearts, think he'll wind up. I went with the second option myself. As I said, I'm really warming up to him based on what I read and see, but I'd like to see him do it for a bit longer - and would like to see more of him myself in person to see if he has "it" - before ever declaring that I think he might become a first liner in his prime.

I am starting to believe that the odds of hitting that 1st line potential are increasing, however, and I might just vote differently if/when this question is posed next year. It's certainly a good sign when other teams' fans come to the Rangers board and ask us if we'd consider moving him...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
High-risk, high-return.
I still don't see the high risk in this pick (someone else suggested that in the Prospects thread)

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:35 PM
NYR Viper

I have said it since he was drafted. Mike Cammaleri is a perfect comparison for what Thomas will most likely be minus the attitude and hopefully the injuries. Steal.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 12:53 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I have said it since he was drafted. Mike Cammaleri is a perfect comparison for what Thomas will most likely be minus the attitude and hopefully the injuries. Steal.
Absolutely. Thomas has an All-Star shot, he's going to score goals at every level with that thing. This is no fluke. This kid has a gift.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Absolutely. Thomas has an All-Star shot, he's going to score goals at every level with that thing. This is no fluke. This kid has a gift.
For the record, Lundqvist said that Dawes had by far the best shot he had ever seen, and we all know Dawes put up big numbers in the minors.

What I like is the amount of time, and the little space he needs to pull it off.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
For the record, Lundqvist said that Dawes had by far the best shot he had ever seen, and we all know Dawes put up big numbers in the minors.

What I like is the amount of time, and the little space he needs to pull it off.
But then again Thomas was supposed to be gone by the end of the first round in the draft. Dawes is a different story.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
But then again Thomas was supposed to be gone by the end of the first round in the draft. Dawes is a different story.
I thought Thomas was supposed to be a 3rd round pick/late 2nd rounder. The Rangers reached a bit for him. Yogan was once considered a 1st round prospect. Right before the draft they had him pegged as a 2nd rounder and the Rangers took him in the 4th.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 01:16 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
Thomas was supposed to be drafted later then where the Rangers picked him. It's looking good now, and like Wolfgaze said, people assume high risk, high reward because he's small. He doesn't play small.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:19 PM
bernmeister

Went with third line to reflect MINIMUM he should be.
Outside to decent chance if he applies he will get to that second voting choice.

Good skater. Great shot. Solid on intangibles.
Am expecting the poor man's St. Louis.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:24 PM
TheRedViper

Upside is first line RW IMO

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:27 PM
ecemleafs

Marty St. Louis with a better shot and a little bigger.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 07:38 PM
doming07

Pavel Bure with less speed

In all seriousness, with his combination of hands and shot I can see him being a potential 40 goal scorer.

Most likely however he becomes a 2nd liner that consistently scores 20+ a year.

doming07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 09:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nigel Dawes had nearly 3 consecutive 50 goal seasons in the WHL.

Played bigger then he was. Had a ridiculous shot. Sweet hands. Great vision. Defensively responsible. Was captain of his team.

I'm high on Kreider because his physical tools like size, strength, and skating will make him a servicable player in NHL at the very rock bottom least. But he has a hard shot, quick hands, and all that anyway.

If Thomas' offense doesn't translate, does he have a future in the NHL?

Only time will tell if Thomas can translate his offense to the Pro level, and the NHL.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Marty St. Louis with a better shot and a little bigger.
I'm assuming this was sarcasm ? St Louis has won about every award in this league , MVP , scoring title , Stanley Cup , lady Byng , Plus Minus ( w Malik ) if Thomas plays as a regular player I'll be happy but I'm assuming your just kidding in the comparison . Only comparison to St Louis is size . MSL is a first ballot Hall of Famer

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

You guys are so cute and optimistic. Obv most likely result is AHL/NHL Jason Krog/Darren Haydar type.

Hope not~!

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 11:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Played bigger then he was. Had a ridiculous shot. Sweet hands. Great vision. Defensively responsible. Was captain of his team.
and Mike Cammalleri was a PPG player in college for UofM... That doesn't make Thomas any closer to Cammelleri than it does Dawes... Thomas has a clean slate... We won't know what he'll do until he gets a chance to do it... If Kreider had the hockey IQ and scorer's acumen of Thomas, we'd have an elite level prospect on our hands....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 12:06 AM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I'm high on Kreider because his physical tools like size, strength, and skating will make him a servicable player in NHL at the very rock bottom least. But he has a hard shot, quick hands, and all that anyway.

If Thomas' offense doesn't translate, does he have a future in the NHL?

Only time will tell if Thomas can translate his offense to the Pro level, and the NHL.
Dawes' best statistical season got him drafted in the 5th round. He regressed on the scoreboard in each of his following junior seasons. Just because they're both small and are close to 50goals doesn't make them compareable.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 04:35 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I just want to note how happy I am to see a thread about a prospect on Hockeys Future Boards.com. It's kinda like the old days... Not complaining about how the board has evolved, it's just why I myself got involved in the first place.

On little personal viewing of the evidence, I voted for Thomas being a potential solid 2nd-liner.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
You guys are so cute and optimistic. Obv most likely result is AHL/NHL Jason Krog/Darren Haydar type.

Hope not~!
Unfortunately you are probably right.

I voted solid second rounder, 30g. This kid gets it done, and has a solid work ethic. Maybe he'll be Callahan with more skill.

02-27-2011, 07:48 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Sidney Crosby.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 08:33 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post

Hope not~!
Thanks for keeping it real!
Anything from 1st line W to full career in the A.
Having watched his father play as a smallish guy in a very different NHL, gives me confidence that Christian will find a way to succeed. Steve was a bulldog, if Christian has the heart and desire of his dad he'll make it. Let's hope he does.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Dorado*

Corey Millen

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2011, 02:41 AM
DekeR

With his size, I am thinking that it is too early for projections. Skills are nice but alot different than playing at the AHL level when those skills have to translate into quicker reaction time, in your face competition and quicker goaltenders.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote