HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

John Michael Liles...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2011, 08:33 PM
  #26
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
You guys do realize that Liles was a regular healthy scratch and was the Avs regular whipping boy last year right? It just goes to show SJ fans aren't the only fickle ones, I guess.

Not saying he isn't worthwhile, but let's put things in perspective here.

Franchise13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
  #27
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
You guys do realize that Liles was a regular healthy scratch and was the Avs regular whipping boy last year right? It just goes to show SJ fans aren't the only fickle ones, I guess.

Not saying he isn't worthwhile, but let's put things in perspective here.
He's also on pace for 50+ points right now on one of the worst teams in the league right now. And even during a year where he was deemed as struggling, he put up 31 points in 59 games. Liles is a lower end premier puck-moving d-man in this league.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
  #28
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He's also on pace for 50+ points right now on one of the worst teams in the league right now. And even during a year where he was deemed as struggling, he put up 31 points in 59 games. Liles is a lower end premier puck-moving d-man in this league.
Well aware on how good he is, that was besides the point.

Franchise13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:47 PM
  #29
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Well aware on how good he is, that was besides the point.
Not really beside the point. When you make a comment like keeping it in perspective, that is, in essence, making a point that he's not all that good...in one way or another.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:50 PM
  #30
rangerssharks414
Registered User
 
rangerssharks414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
You guys do realize that Liles was a regular healthy scratch and was the Avs regular whipping boy last year right? It just goes to show SJ fans aren't the only fickle ones, I guess.

Not saying he isn't worthwhile, but let's put things in perspective here.
I was going to mention that. He has been benched a few times this year too. I don't think he's been scratched, but I know he's been benched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He's also on pace for 50+ points right now on one of the worst teams in the league right now.
The offense isn't the problem. They're in the top ten in goals per game. Their goaltending has really let them down, which is why they're so bad.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:58 PM
  #31
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
JM Liles is a good puck mover, he carries a price tag of 4m+ I believe, not going to bother looking it up exactly. Has been benched/scratched by as you put it, one of the worst teams in the league. People here are talking about trading a B level prospect + 1st? Keep in mind I'm (generally) in the camp of NHL player now currently > a players potential later especially for this team in particular. When a similar (albeit weaker overall player) in White went for a 2nd and a C Prospect? White was sold low, but not by that much.

Campbell went for a 1st and prospect, granted as a rental, but was a far superior player.

Someone here even called Liles a #1...

Franchise13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:01 PM
  #32
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
JM Liles is a good puck mover, he carries a price tag of 4m+ I believe, not going to bother looking it up exactly. Has been benched/scratched by as you put it, worst team in the league. People here are talking about trading a B level prospect + 1st? Keep in mind I'm (generally) in the camp of NHL player now currently > a players potential later especially for this team in particular. When a similar (albeit weaker overall player) in White went for a 2nd and a C Prospect? White was sold low, but not by that much.

Campbell went for a 1st and prospect, granted as a rental, but was a far superior player.

Someone here even called Liles a #1...
He's a poor man's Kaberle and his value should be viewed as such. Petrecki and a 1st is close to value depending on your worth of Petrecki.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:05 PM
  #33
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He's a poor man's Kaberle and his value should be viewed as such. Petrecki and a 1st is close to value depending on your worth of Petrecki.
I value Kaberle at 5m/yr.

Liles at 3.5

If there's a discrepancy in our thoughts it's there. I don't think JM Liles is -that- good of a value at his price tag.

Petrecki is a B level prospect to me. Not sure what type of prospect Boston got for Kabs in addition to the first.

Franchise13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:14 PM
  #34
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 46,814
vCash: 500
Really good.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:15 PM
  #35
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
I value Kaberle at 5m/yr.

Liles at 3.5

If there's a discrepancy in our thoughts it's there. I don't think JM Liles is -that- good of a value at his price tag.

Petrecki is a B level prospect to me. Not sure what type of prospect Boston got for Kabs in addition to the first.
I'm not saying there's a discrepancy in the value of Liles. I said he was a poor man's Kaberle. That means he's similar but worse. Petrecki, at this point imo, is not a B level prospect. His chances at making the NHL are iffy right now and he's not anywhere close to reaching this level.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
  #36
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Petrecki is 21 years old. 1 and a half years of AHL experience. He has the size you desire in a D man, something you can't teach. I think it's too soon to doubt his chances at the NHL at this point.

Franchise13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:24 PM
  #37
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
Petrecki is 21 years old. 1 and a half years of AHL experience. He has the size you desire in a D man, something you can't teach. I think it's too soon to doubt his chances at the NHL at this point.
Size is irrelevant if you don't have the skills and Petrecki is lacking very much so in that regard.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:32 PM
  #38
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Size is irrelevant if you don't have the skills and Petrecki is lacking very much so in that regard.
He's 21 years old. Who's made it this far, so he obviously has some skill. He has something you can't teach. Give him a bit to put it together before you make a call on his NHL chances. Development takes time, before you even consider that not everyone puts it together at the same rate.

If he was 25 and doing the same he's doing? Fine. He's not.

Franchise13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
  #39
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
He's 21 years old. Who's made it this far, so he obviously has some skill. He has something you can't teach. Give him a bit to put it together before you make a call on his NHL chances. Development takes time, before you even consider that not everyone puts it together at the same rate.

If he was 25 and doing the same he's doing? Fine. He's not.
I didn't say he had no skill. I said he's lacking skills. His trade value is based on what people believe his chances of making and succeeding in the NHL are. A B level prospect has a good chance of making it. I don't believe Petrecki has done anything to earn that level of evaluation.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
  #40
chris39bong
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brea, CA
Country: Samoa
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
I wish we would have signed Leopold in the off-season instead of Wallin Buffalo got him for $2.5M i think which is pretty fair value. Not sure if DW made a play and he just didn't want to come to SJ.

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 07:33 PM
  #41
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
@DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
It's been suggested, the asking price for Liles is a 2nd round draft pick. Avs may get that, but I doubt the Leafs will pay it.

I realize it's not official, but it's Dreger, he's credible.

Franchise13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
  #42
OnTheFence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
@DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
It's been suggested, the asking price for Liles is a 2nd round draft pick. Avs may get that, but I doubt the Leafs will pay it.

I realize it's not official, but it's Dreger, he's credible.
That's it? Too lazy to figure out the cap situation, would dumping Mitchell
and Huskins be enough?

Boyle-Murray
White-Liles
Vlassic-Demers
Wallin

It'd be a small yet scrappy defense, but very mobile.

OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:37 PM
  #43
Franchise13
Registered User
 
Franchise13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
That's it? Too lazy to figure out the cap situation, would dumping Mitchell
and Huskins be enough?

Boyle-Murray
White-Liles
Vlassic-Demers
Wallin

It'd be a small yet scrappy defense, but very mobile.
No. Liles cap hit is ~4.25m, what that works out to day-to-day wise and what we got, but consider we gotta make a dump and play AHL shuttle as it is.

That is also (or close to) the softest D in the league, even factoring new and improved Mean Vlasic.

It was either White or Liles.

Franchise13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
  #44
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,272
vCash: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Size is irrelevant if you don't have the skills and Petrecki is lacking very much so in that regard.
IIRC, Petrecki had a very good slap shot. he's not a PMD, but he could be a defensive d-man that puts up a few points Vlasic-style!

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:03 PM
  #45
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,272
vCash: 153
Quote:
@DarrenDreger
Darren Dreger
It's been suggested, the asking price for Liles is a 2nd round draft pick. Avs may get that, but I doubt the Leafs will pay it.
Are you ******* kidding me, DW?

Liles > White.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:09 PM
  #46
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain
 
Blades of Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 18,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Are you ******* kidding me, DW?

Liles > White.
White may not be the puck-mover and PP threat the Liles is, but he is much better defensively and is a much better fit for a talented team looking to go deep in the playoffs.

Blades of Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
  #47
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Are you ******* kidding me, DW?

Liles > White.
Are you considering they may not want to deal with us or that the price has gone down since the Sharks are not in the market anymore? Just a couple questions of many.

__________________

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
  #48
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 46,814
vCash: 500
Liles is more expensive, better offensively but not as good defensively and physically. As much as I like Liles, I think at this point, White is a better fit.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:23 PM
  #49
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 6,613
vCash: 500
The asking price for Liles is rumored to be a 2nd-round pick. Considering the fact that San Jose's cap space is tied up, and the fact that SJ and COL have little history of trading with each other in recent years....

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:37 PM
  #50
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 46,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Considering the fact that San Jose's cap space is tied up, and the fact that SJ and COL have little history of trading with each other in recent years....
Yes?


Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.