HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andy McDonald to Washington

Old
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Seikalym

vCash: 500
Andy McDonald to Washington

Seems like he would be a good fit for 2C in Washington. Blues fans, what would you want in return?

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Is he a rental, or does his contract extend beyond this year? (And if so - by how many years and $'s).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Seikalym

Not a rental. 2 or 3 more seasons at 4.7 mil. May be too much for the Caps, but wanted to see what people thought.

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

His contract probably has too many years for too much money for the Capitals. Also, he hasnt played center for a couple of years.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
He has 2 more years on his contract, ill take Johanseen

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If we do trade him, it would be for Johansson, Kuznetsov, Perrealult, Alzner, or Carlson. I realize most Caps fans probably wouldn't like this and Alzner and Carlson probably wouldn't be in the deal as defense is your weakness, but McDonald isn't a rental. He is playing great and he makes our offense go and that means there will be a price to pay for him.

Imagine Kuznetsov with Tarasenko. I would be willing to add if the Caps are reluctant to move Kuznetsov or one of the defensemem. I haven't seen Johansson or Perrealult much so I don't know how their value translates to McDonald's.

The only moves the Blues will do, will be dumping players that aren't needed or moving players that will help us in the long and short term. I think Kuznetsov is a good enough prospect to trade for, but besides that if we trade McDonald we will need players back.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If the Caps were to trade for a player making $4.7M for another two years, it's probable that Semin is going the other way, possibly/probably straight up. The Caps couldn't afford both Semin and McDonald anyway.

Some Caps fans would say that the whole point of acquiring a center is to have some for Semin to play with, but I disagree. There is a lot of percolating talent coming up through the ranks in Washington (Johansson, Eakin, Kuznetsov) that can play center/wing. A lack of quality center depth is an Achilles' Heel in Washington.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If the Caps were to trade for a player making $4.7M for another two years, it's probable that Semin is going the other way, possibly/probably straight up. The Caps couldn't afford both Semin and McDonald anyway.

Some Caps fans would say that the whole point of acquiring a center is to have some for Semin to play with, but I disagree. There is a lot of percolating talent coming up through the ranks in Washington (Johansson, Eakin, Kuznetsov) that can play center/wing. A lack of quality center depth is an Achilles' Heel in Washington.
I would do McDonald+ for Semin. Can Semin play LW and is he really injury prone or is he just unlucky?

Old
02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I would do McDonald+ for Semin. Can Semin play LW and is he really injury prone or is he just unlucky?
He's best at LW. I'd say he's moderately injury prone (probably doesn't get injured more that most, just isn't very effective when he's injured whereas others might be better at playing through it).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Blues cant afford Semin, and I dont know that I want him anyway

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He's best at LW. I'd say he's moderately injury prone (probably doesn't get injured more that most, just isn't very effective when he's injured whereas others might be better at playing through it).
Well if you guys would be willing to do McDonald+ for Semin, what would the + have to be?

Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Allen I would have a hard time trading. Cap wise Boyes or Jackman wouldn't make sense, so would Cole or McRae interest you? Or maybe Colorado's 2nd round pick?

I just think if we got Semin we would have a sick offense, at least until all the young guys need their bigger contracts.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Blues cant afford Semin, and I dont know that I want him anyway
We just cut a lot of salary. Take out Brewer and McDonald and add Semin and we still save money; the Johnson deal was pretty much a wash salary wise.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I expect that the Johnson-Stewart trade free up a lot of salary cap space for the Blues.

Hard to say. I just know that there is a movement among fans to bring in a big-time player to the Caps without shedding any of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green, Alzner or Carlson. I think you can add a big player for one of those guys, or add rentals, but you can't add impact players who are not rentals without dipping into that pool of core players.

This comes down to the organization's view of McDonald, and its take on his injury woes this year.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Hard to say. I just know that there is a movement among fans to bring in a big-time player to the Caps without shedding any of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Green, Alzner or Carlson. I think you can add a big player for one of those guys, or add rentals, but you can't add impact players who are not rentals without dipping into that pool of core players.
I think your best bet is Weiss. The Johnson deal is proof that we are looking for NHL players to replace our NHL players. We are in more of a retooling mode than rebuilding now and this could've been a completely different season if we didn't have injuries, so we won't part with important pieces for next season unless we get impact players in return.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
I think your best bet is Weiss. The Johnson deal is proof that we are looking for NHL players to replace our NHL players. We are in more of a retooling mode than rebuilding now and this could've been a completely different season if we didn't have injuries, so we won't part with important pieces for next season unless we get impact players in return.
This was in the context of a Semin offer, and not prospects or picks. That conventional wisdom among Caps fans is misplaced. It's either secondary prospects and picks for rentals, or it's core Caps players for incoming impact players.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
This was in the context of a Semin offer, and not prospects or picks. That conventional wisdom among Caps fans is misplaced. It's either secondary prospects and picks for rentals, or it's core Caps players for incoming impact players.
Right, fans will be fans. If you guys want to trade prospects and picks, then Florida is a better trading partner. If you guys are willing to make a big time deal like McDonald+ for Semin, then I am game for it. I seriously doubt that the Blues trade McDonald for prospects.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Agreed. McDonald will take a chunk out of any team that is interested.

I don't know that the Panthers are going to be completely open for business, though. I think they deal pure rentals, guys like Vokoun (maybe), but that Weiss is not necessarily going to be available.

I suspect that the true rental centers might be limited to Arnott and Connolly, and I'm not sure that Arnott is a sure thing either.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I don't really know that the contract in question works. 4.7 is a lot to commit to the books with a lot of young players needing extensions shortly.

I don't see this move as a McPhee type move either.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:25 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Agreed. McDonald will take a chunk out of any team that is interested.

I don't know that the Panthers are going to be completely open for business, though. I think they deal pure rentals, guys like Vokoun (maybe), but that Weiss is not necessarily going to be available.

I suspect that the true rental centers might be limited to Arnott and Connolly, and I'm not sure that Arnott is a sure thing either.
Hmm, is this civilized negotiations on HF boards? I didn't know that they existed. Guess this thread won't get a billion pages with no one hating on the side.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

haha I thought this was MACdonald. Was gonna say good luck.

McDonald would be a pretty good 2C for the caps. Would the Blues take Orlov and a 1st?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I don't really know that the contract in question works. 4.7 is a lot to commit to the books with a lot of young players needing extensions shortly.

I don't see this move as a McPhee type move either.
That's why we were talking a McDonald+ for Semin type deal.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Would the Blues take Orlov and a 1st?
No we have plenty of defensive prospects, we need young NHL players in return.

Old
02-23-2011, 03:11 PM
txpd

Quote:
haha I thought this was MACdonald. Was gonna say good luck.

McDonald would be a pretty good 2C for the caps. Would the Blues take Orlov and a 1st?
Orlov is not available. they just paid to bring him to NA and have him sign an AHL tryout contract to play in Hershey. As these kinds of trades have been in the works for months there is no chance that the Caps allow Orlov to start practicing with their own prospects only to trade him in the first week.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
How about Brooks Laich, Phil DeSimone and the 1st for McDonald and Ian Cole?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Kuznetsov, Alzner & a pick

for

McDonald & Jackman

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote