HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

RANGERS #51 - Bruce Graham

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
RANGERS #51 - Bruce Graham

Old
06-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Gotta like this pick and the potential

Old
06-26-2004, 08:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Especially at #51. This is probably my favorite pick of the day - big center who improved as the year went along. He could be a nice fit with Jessiman.

Old
06-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of ÷zil

A lot of people projected Graham sneaking in at the end of the first round, so I think it's pretty good value at 51.

Old
06-26-2004, 09:39 PM
True Blue

Graham was an absolute steal at 51.

Old
06-27-2004, 01:41 AM
chuckie

pic

great pic at hat spot

Old
06-27-2004, 03:08 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Steal of the draft here IMO. From everything I've heard and read, Grahame was supposed to go to Ottawa at #23, but the Sens just couldn't pass up Meszaros.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Fish

Well after reading several profiles on Bruce Graham, the first comparison that came to mind was actually Jeff Toms. Tall lanky centerman who prefers to try and make plays than use the body...I certainly don't see where the Keith Primeau references in some of the profiles are coming from.

A project no doubt, which is to be expected at the #51 pick...just glad we didn't take him in the 1st round.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Well after reading several profiles on Bruce Graham, the first comparison that came to mind was actually Jeff Toms. Tall lanky centerman who prefers to try and make plays than use the body...I certainly don't see where the Keith Primeau references in some of the profiles are coming from.

A project no doubt, which is to be expected at the #51 pick...just glad we didn't take him in the 1st round.
The name that keeps coming up is actually Eric Daze. Both THN and Young Guns said he started playing a more consistent and physical game towards the end of the year.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Fish

I'd say there's a world of difference between Daze, who had 59 goals and 107 points in 66 games for Beaufort at the age of 18 and Graham who had 24 goals and 57 points in 68. Just for S&G, he did have more points than Toms at the same point in his career...16 goals and 39 points in 60 games in the OHL

But seriously, the thing that reminded me of Toms was the "small playmaker in a big man's body" comment from one of the reviews.

Old
06-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Prucha73

How is he different from Evgeny Gusakov who we picked in the 8th round in 1999?

Old
06-27-2004, 11:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Talent, for starters.

Old
06-27-2004, 11:52 AM
BLACKBURN

Hes different because

He was picked in the 2nd round, not 8th.

He is not European

He is a good skater apparently

He has a chance at playing at the NHL level

Hes similar because

He played in the Q

He is big

I really dont see how you can compare the two, its like saying hows Korpikoski different from a guy like Petterstrom.

Old
06-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Fish

I'm guessing, but he probably doesn't speak Russian either

For one, a player that gets drafted in the 8th round vs the 2nd round is considered a whole lot more of an unknown. Graham in some drafts was projected to go in the 1st, which means that observers have probably seen something in his game they liked.

My point was more that people seem to be getting a little carried away by his size and where he was projected to go. To me the fact he was projected by some to go in the first round is more an indication of this being a weak, or at best "difficult" draft to figure out. He has size yes, but the other aspects of his game appear to have questions that might suggest he will never make it to the NHL.

Purely going on odds (ignoring all aspects of the player themselves), only 5 of the past 10 #51 picks have made it to the NHL (still time for the 2002 and 2003 of course) and of those only Patrik Elias has made an impact, and he along with Jaroslav Bednar (who returned to Europe during last season) have played more than 18 games in the NHL.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Hes different because

He was picked in the 2nd round, not 8th.

He is not European

He is a good skater apparently

He has a chance at playing at the NHL level

Hes similar because

He played in the Q

He is big

I really dont see how you can compare the two, its like saying hows Korpikoski different from a guy like Petterstrom.
I meant how is their game different? As far as I remember Gusakov was a good skater too.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
How about Mike Card dropping to like the 8th round. He was predicted to go first round also a while ago.

Old
06-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of ÷zil

Quote:

I don't believe you just said that...

Old
06-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I meant how is their game different? As far as I remember Gusakov was a good skater too.
No, 'Goose' was not a good skater. That was one of the knocks against him. I was very high on Gusakov while he was playing in Baie Comeau, but he went back to Russia and hasn't done anything since then. Seems like he never had the desire.

And yes, Graham is more skilled and plays with a nice edge, he actually uses his strength, or at least he did the 2nd half of this year. He's a work in progress, don't expect to see Graham in a Uni until 3-4 seasons at least. But definitely worth the gamble.

Old
06-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
No, 'Goose' was not a good skater. That was one of the knocks against him. I was very high on Gusakov while he was playing in Baie Comeau, but he went back to Russia and hasn't done anything since then. Seems like he never had the desire.

And yes, Graham is more skilled and plays with a nice edge, he actually uses his strength, or at least he did the 2nd half of this year. He's a work in progress, don't expect to see Graham in a Uni until 3-4 seasons at least. But definitely worth the gamble.

Thanks for answering without any wiseass comments. Who does he compare best with? Kvasha? Viktor Kozlov? Toms? Daze?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 06-27-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old
06-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Thanks for answering without any wiseass comments like Draft Guru. Who does he compare best with? Kvasha? Viktor Kozlov? Toms? Daze?
IMO, Josef Vasicek of Carolina.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I'm guessing, but he probably doesn't speak Russian either

For one, a player that gets drafted in the 8th round vs the 2nd round is considered a whole lot more of an unknown. Graham in some drafts was projected to go in the 1st, which means that observers have probably seen something in his game they liked.

My point was more that people seem to be getting a little carried away by his size and where he was projected to go. To me the fact he was projected by some to go in the first round is more an indication of this being a weak, or at best "difficult" draft to figure out. He has size yes, but the other aspects of his game appear to have questions that might suggest he will never make it to the NHL.

Purely going on odds (ignoring all aspects of the player themselves), only 5 of the past 10 #51 picks have made it to the NHL (still time for the 2002 and 2003 of course) and of those only Patrik Elias has made an impact, and he along with Jaroslav Bednar (who returned to Europe during last season) have played more than 18 games in the NHL.
Well, were all the #51 picks projected first rounders? Were they all 6'6" talented centers? I think it's a great pick, and ISS agrees with me. They have him ranked #23, and they say he should become a great 2nd line center, and possibly a 1st-line center who could make the All-Star team a few times. I like that potential!

Old
06-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Is he supposed to play naked for the next 3-4 years?!?!?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 06-27-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old
06-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Edge

Crosby - Here's how they are different. Gusakov was a big guy who they were hoping could tap into an offensive upside and get something going.

Graham is a big kid who has shown the offense but needs more consistency. That is his biggest knock.

Gusakov was drafted because he had great size and so/so skills.

Graham was drafted because has great size and potentially very good skills.
The fact that he is 6'6 is a bonus.

Old
06-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Well, were all the #51 picks projected first rounders? Were they all 6'6" talented centers? I think it's a great pick, and ISS agrees with me. They have him ranked #23, and they say he should become a great 2nd line center, and possibly a 1st-line center who could make the All-Star team a few times. I like that potential!
As I mentioned when I quoted the statistic..."all other things aside". There are plenty of big bodies that are drafted and never played in the NHL...size may get you selected more often, but it doesn't necessarily mean you can play any better.

On the term "talented" that's a purely subjective term at this point, or perhaps more accurately a relative term. He doesn't appear to stand out in the QMJHL yet, so what makes you think he will at the NHL? He's shown some promise yes, but so do most of the players drafted...

I'm not writing Graham off by any means, but I'm also not ready to assign him even "promising prospect" status yet just because he's 6'6" and was projected to go in the 1st round. I can show you plenty of players were selected in the 1st round in better draft years that didn't make it...and when you add in the Rangers record at developing players I think that makes it more likely that he won't be an impact than he will.

Old
06-28-2004, 09:40 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The scouting service ISS is really high on Bruce Graham

Last year Brent Burns was their sleeper pick

Graham was their pick this year

BRUCE GRAHAM

Ranked 23rd overall. Another player whose first round ranking by ISS as far back as January was questioned by a number of people in the hockey industry, but not anymore! This gigantic, highly skilled pivot has been a favorite amongst the ISS scouts all season. In fact, some of us thought so highly of him that there have been many debates about whether or not he should rank higher. Graham has an abundance of potential; good offensive instincts, great size, soft hands and deceptive speed for a player his size. After his return from the CHL Top Prospects game, Graham elevated his game to another level, finishing the regular season with 57 points in 68 games. In the playoffs, he notched 14 points in 18 games, but he missed the last two games of the final with a muscle injury in his shoulder. It wasn't anything serious, and didn't require surgery. Graham has tremendous upside, but needs to show more intensity, or at least be intense on a more consistent basis.

NHL Potential: Solid second line player, could develop into a first line forward. 6í6" playmaking centers donít come along often. Excellent at winning face-offs.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7000

Closed Thread