HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Steve Moore is a UFA

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 10:59 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Steve Moore is a UFA

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...004254,00.html

i wonder if this means his career is over?

i thought for sure colorado would at least qualify him given the circumstances.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Unfortunatly, most people probably think his career is over now. But you never know... the Rags took a chance on bringing Berard back, and he's doing fine these days.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Avery4Byng*

I doubt they would have qualified him broken neck or not. I mean "hurt" neck and all.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Unfortunatly, most people probably think his career is over now. But you never know... the Rags took a chance on bringing Berard back, and he's doing fine these days.
Oh yea, he was just terrific for the Bruins.....

(insert trainwreck noise here)

Old
07-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
I doubt they would have qualified him broken neck or not. I mean "hurt" neck and all.
Disagree - Moore was playing on the 2nd line for about a 10 game stretch when Forsberg was out. Granato loved his physical game and work ethic. He would have been back.....I'm almost certain.

07-01-2004, 11:46 AM
The Pucks

Vancouver should make him an offer .....................

ohhh, that would be fun to watch. If he accepts, he has to go to training camp with the boys (assuming he is physically able), if he doesn't, there goes any shot at a lost revenue court case.

Old
07-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks

ohhh, that would be fun to watch. If he accepts, he has to go to training camp with the boys (assuming he is physically able), if he doesn't, there goes any shot at a lost revenue court case.
haven't "the boys" done enough?
or do they still need to get even for the Naslund hit?

Old
07-01-2004, 12:05 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher

Moore isn't exactly a first overall pick...

Old
07-01-2004, 12:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Moore isn't exactly a first overall pick...

Say if he gets healthy, Id love Rangers to sign him. Maybe D.Moore can play on a line with his brother in the future. That would be awesome

Old
07-01-2004, 12:57 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
haven't "the boys" done enough?
or do they still need to get even for the Naslund hit?
Nowhere did I say he would have to "answer the bell", or get even.

He would have to go into the dressing room, which you can only asume would be terribly uncomfortable. I can say one thing, Naslund is such a class guy he would be the 1st to approach him and welcome him to the team.

From a legal standpoint I think it would be a great coup for the Bertuzzi camp. Hell, if they were smart, they would get the Canucks to offer Moore a contract for about 500 grand a season, and subtract a considerable portion of that off Berts, behind closed door's obviously.

Think of the ramifications if he turned down a Canuck offer.

Old
07-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Street Hawk

No Insurance pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...004254,00.html

i wonder if this means his career is over?

i thought for sure colorado would at least qualify him given the circumstances.
Remember, if Moore is still recovering from his injuries, the Avs would be on the hook for his entire contract. The insurance company will not pick up any of it. Kings had to eat all of Deadmarsh's 3 million contract because he was injured at the time the 1 year deal was signed, thus, the insurance company didn't pick up any of it. They picked up Allison's contract for the past year because he was finishing up his 3 year deal.

Of course, it's only a few hundred thousand, but still money is money.

Old
07-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Joe Canadian

Not to sound mean, or insensitive... but hockey is a business not a Hallmark Card.

Old
07-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
From a legal standpoint I think it would be a great coup for the Bertuzzi camp. Hell, if they were smart, they would get the Canucks to offer Moore a contract for about 500 grand a season, and subtract a considerable portion of that off Berts, behind closed door's obviously.

Think of the ramifications if he turned down a Canuck offer.
And why would this have any implications on a possible lawsuit? Before Moore can even look at an offer he has to clear several medicals, which he would likely fail at this point. I think that the offer would make the lawsuit stand even more. I also think it would be a completely assinine move of the Canucks to even consider what you suggest. It would be another ring around the black-eye that the Canucks are trying to allow to heal.

Old
07-01-2004, 01:37 PM
NucksFan16

I would seriously doubt that his career is over, they probably just dont think that he is an important contributor to the team anymore...

Old
07-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucksFan16
I would seriously doubt that his career is over, they probably just dont think that he is an important contributor to the team anymore...
I doubt they think that.

Old
07-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucksFan16
Canucks fans should be praying to god that this is the case. If he is cut loose because of his injuries Bertuzzi's position legally and with the league is going to take a major hit IMO. Canucks fans should be the first ones to hope that Moore gets on the ice and playing ASAP. Bertuzzi could be royally screwed should Moore's injuries continue to prevent him from playing. I think that there is a reason why the league made the suspension the way they did. The summer would give Moore time to heal and the league a better chance to see what the long term ramifications of Bertuzzi's attack would have on the victim. Re-instatement is likely tied to the resumption of Moore's career as well.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:44 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopeli
And why would this have any implications on a possible lawsuit? Before Moore can even look at an offer he has to clear several medicals, which he would likely fail at this point. I think that the offer would make the lawsuit stand even more. I also think it would be a completely assinine move of the Canucks to even consider what you suggest. It would be another ring around the black-eye that the Canucks are trying to allow to heal.

Sorry your wrong, you do not have to clear a medical exam, it is usually a stipulation of the team making the offer, but not mandatory, Adam Deadmarsh is a perfect example of that.

My point is, who could Moore sue for loss of income if he turned down a contract offer? Lawyers would have a hayday with that.

Black eye for the Canucks? How about trying to help a player out who is in need? Your cup may be half empty, mine may be half full.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:54 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopeli
Canucks fans should be praying to god that this is the case. If he is cut loose because of his injuries Bertuzzi's position legally and with the league is going to take a major hit IMO. Canucks fans should be the first ones to hope that Moore gets on the ice and playing ASAP. Bertuzzi could be royally screwed should Moore's injuries continue to prevent him from playing. I think that there is a reason why the league made the suspension the way they did. The summer would give Moore time to heal and the league a better chance to see what the long term ramifications of Bertuzzi's attack would have on the victim. Re-instatement is likely tied to the resumption of Moore's career as well.
What your not factoring in is that the NHL has quietly noted that they themselves have to be carefull with this case. They could be inline for legal action from the Bertuzzi camp if it goes to far. They have already set precident (NHL) for allowing players to return to play after being suspened and ending a players career. In Berts case, the concequence of action caused the injury, not the action.

The NHL is rightfully taking its time making a decision, but to think that he will be suspended to match any time Moore may loose is a pipe dream. A finality to this situation will happen before the NHL season begins play. If it doesn't, the NHL knows that the legal nightmares may have just begun.

Old
07-01-2004, 03:21 PM
littleHossa

Quote:
What your not factoring in is that the NHL has quietly noted that they themselves have to be carefull with this case. They could be inline for legal action from the Bertuzzi camp if it goes to far. They have already set precident (NHL) for allowing players to return to play after being suspened and ending a players career. In Berts case, the concequence of action caused the injury, not the action.

The NHL is rightfully taking its time making a decision, but to think that he will be suspended to match any time Moore may loose is a pipe dream. A finality to this situation will happen before the NHL season begins play. If it doesn't, the NHL knows that the legal nightmares may have just begun.
I think what Kokopeli was trying to alude was Bertuzzi's trial, not the NHL suspending Bertuzzi for a longer period of time. If Moore's career is over, it will be entirelly Bertuzzi's fault and the trial will reflect it.

Old
07-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:

I think if Vancouver offered him a contract just to screw with any court case, the court would see right through it. It would be a "bad faith" offer, not to be taken seriously by the Moore camp, nor to be seen as a realistic opportunity to mitigate damages. Think about it. If a guy sues a bar that the bouncer left him permanently disabled, do you think the court would be impressed if the bar turned around and offered him a job working with the bouncer? This sort of trick would not be limited to hockey or even sports. Any industry could do it when someone sues them over inability to work. They'd never get by with it.

Old
07-01-2004, 08:22 PM
victor

Quote:
...They could be inline for legal action from the Bertuzzi camp if it goes to far. They have already set precident (NHL) for allowing players to return to play after being suspened and ending a players career....
In Berts case, the concequence of action caused the injury, not the action..
So, by your logic, even though I aimed the car at the person walking through the crosswalk, it was the car that killed him, not me...

I'm sure that the 30 groups of owners are concerned, but not for what you'd like to believe. I don't see the NHL re-instating Bertuzzi before the criminal case is settled, and the civil case has started.

As to Bertuzzi suing the league owners, please enlighten me as to the legal pretense that Bertuzzi's camp could use?

Old
07-01-2004, 11:27 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor
So, by your logic, even though I aimed the car at the person walking through the crosswalk, it was the car that killed him, not me...

I'm sure that the 30 groups of owners are concerned, but not for what you'd like to believe. I don't see the NHL re-instating Bertuzzi before the criminal case is settled, and the civil case has started.

As to Bertuzzi suing the league owners, please enlighten me as to the legal pretense that Bertuzzi's camp could use?
Your 1st point is so out of context that I am not going to bother to respond.

At this point there is no civil case, that is pure speculation. As for the criminal case, the NHL has in every other situation has completed the suspension before anything went to court, let alone settled. In Canada do you realize what Bertuzzi maybe charged with if found guilty? A person who does comunity work, no previous criminal record, assault, Canadian law is very soft, he may get as little as a $500.00 fine or suspended sentence.

Civil case, because it falls under Canadian juristiction, I suspect Moore will have a hard time getting much of anything, Canadian Law in such manners is much harder to get a big payout. Frankly if I were a lawyer defending Bert on this, it would be interesting, a case can be made that Moore is a very finge NHL player, and would he have an NHL life beyond the average, which is what, something like 3.7 years, of which he has already played about 2?

As for Bertuzzi, at some point his rights have to come into play. Never before has a player been given an undetermined length of suspension. Even McSorly was given a time frame for which he could ask for reinstatment. He has the right to know, and yes, a law suit could be considered. Then there is the Canucks position. They still have to pay Berts contract. At some point they have to say this is not right and push the proper buttons. If a salary cap is put in after the new CBA, does Vancouver as a team have to take an addional 6.5 million cap hit for Bert if the NHL can not deceid on a length?

Anyhow, this is all pure specualtion, writing on this for hours on end has been done for the past few months.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Russian_fanatic

Why didn't the AVS qualify this guy ? God this superstar can easily get $5 million atleast !

Old
07-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
I believe that Moore is 25 and fulfills all the qualifications to be a group VI free agent, meaning that the Avs didn't have to qualify him. And often these group VI free agents are available July 1st only to be re-signed by their former teams.

In any case, Moore's future is uncertain, meaning that it is possible he won't be signed by anyone this summer.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Why didn't the AVS qualify this guy ? God this superstar can easily get $5 million atleast !

Closed Thread